PDA

View Full Version : Shy a few points

peemagg
03-19-2007, 12:16 AM
We are looking at trying to get a Grand Villa next year and we find ourselves a few points short for the resort we want. Like 3 points short. Do you know what it would be to pay for out of pocket the difference or would it be cheaper to rent from someone else those few points? Have any of you done this (paying out of pocket)?

peemagg
03-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Is there any of you out there with experience in combining points and paying cash for the difference?

dlpmikki
03-19-2007, 06:35 PM
I have not done it myself but I believe you would have to do it in whole nights for cash and not a combination of points plus cash for one night. You may be able to get another member to 'transfer' points to you so you can combine them with yours but this may not be easy as I understand members are only allowed to do this once a year.

Checkers
03-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Last year we didn't have enough for a 2 BR at BWV so we purchased a night at the DVC member discount. (Actually, Member Services suggested it.) It was well worth it and I thought the price was fair.

You could try purchasing those 3 points from another member to be transferred to your account, but as mentioned previously, since only one transfer in and out per year is permitted you might have difficulty in doing this.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.:mickey:

DizNee143
03-22-2007, 01:09 PM
why dont you just borrow the points from next years points? :mickey: i think that would be the easiest thing to do...

xipetotec
03-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Member services does not offer the possibility of filling in a night with a combination of cash and points. What you'll need to do is book as many nights as you can on your points ( borrowing from the following year as needed as well ). If you're still short, then you book the remaining nights on cash. We had to do this last year because we were such a big crowd and were 4 points short of being able to book the last night on cash.

The good thing about this is that Disney Vacation Club resorts have a certain amount of "discounted cash nights" available for members as well. Keep in mind that this has to do with how the real-estate works and just because you are able to book a night does not guarantee you'll be able to get a member discount. They'll tell you if they have any available when you book. The good thing about this though is that if they are unable to book a discounted night ( meaning you pay whatever anyone else would pay at your given DVC resort ), you can call back intermittently to see if availability has changed and you might be able to get that discount.

This is all stuff that happened to us last year, so I speak first hand. :number1:

peemagg
03-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Do any of you know what the discount is? I mean is it a 10% or 20% savings? I am just trying to get a general idea as to what we are looking at for pricing for the one night. You all have been really helpful.

DISNEYFIX
03-23-2007, 06:26 AM
We are looking at trying to get a Grand Villa next year and we find ourselves a few points short for the resort we want. Like 3 points short. Do you know what it would be to pay for out of pocket the difference or would it be cheaper to rent from someone else those few points? Have any of you done this (paying out of pocket)?

If finding 3 points is a big pain buy/transferr a bunch into your account if they are bankable, this way you have something for the future.
Good luck

Member services does not offer the possibility of filling in a night with a combination of cash and points. What you'll need to do is book as many nights as you can on your points ( borrowing from the following year as needed as well ). If you're still short, then you book the remaining nights on cash. We had to do this last year because we were such a big crowd and were 4 points short of being able to book the last night on cash.

The good thing about this is that Disney Vacation Club resorts have a certain amount of "discounted cash nights" available for members as well. Keep in mind that this has to do with how the real-estate works and just because you are able to book a night does not guarantee you'll be able to get a member discount. They'll tell you if they have any available when you book. The good thing about this though is that if they are unable to book a discounted night ( meaning you pay whatever anyone else would pay at your given DVC resort ), you can call back intermittently to see if availability has changed and you might be able to get that discount.

This is all stuff that happened to us last year, so I speak first hand. :number1:

Was MS able to tell you at time of booking that you had gotten the discounted room?

Maleficent's Dad
03-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Do any of you know what the discount is? I mean is it a 10% or 20% savings? I am just trying to get a general idea as to what we are looking at for pricing for the one night. You all have been really helpful.
I've read here on Intercot that it's 25%. I'm not sure if that's a set discount or not.

We used the Cash Discount price once or twice and found it cheaper (for a studio) than the AP rate at the time.

xipetotec
03-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Was MS able to tell you at time of booking that you had gotten the discounted room?

Yes they were. Well at first they were able to tell me that they did NOT have any discounted rooms left, but we were able to call back a couple of times and managed to get a discounted room for the extra night.