PDA

View Full Version : Best way to bring drinking water on trip

my3littleones
03-18-2007, 07:58 PM
We are travelling to WDW in August, two adults and three kids ages 9, 6 and 3. We are flying and will not have a rental car. I am expecting that we will go through a lot of water each day and will be there for 9 days. We are staying on site at POR. Any thoughts on the best way to buy or bring water. Luggage restrictions are 50 lbs per item so I'm not sure if it would be better to fill up a suitcase with bottled water or if there is sometype of store somewhere on-site. Thanks for any help you can offer.

CleveSJM
03-18-2007, 08:20 PM
I'd try the Disney Meets section of Intercot.

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/forumdisplay.php?f=23

You might find a fellow Intercotee already going to the store around that time and they could help you out.

Otherwise, I'd really suggest just buying bottles and using the water fountains around the park. Lugging water bottles around isn't a fun way to spend a vacation.

Mr. Smee
03-18-2007, 08:25 PM
What we have done in the past is this. Bring a 1 liter lexan water bottle with a wide mouth. You can get them at somewhere like Target , usually in the camping/outdoor section. Any counter service will fill it for you with ice and water for free. They always have done it for us with no problem.

That way at least you're not drinking the tepid water from the bubbler.

DisneyorBust
03-18-2007, 08:40 PM
For us the water at WDW tastes rather bad. (sulfer taste :ack: )
To solve this problem, we purchased a couple of Britta brand water bottles. These have a replaceable filter which works great. I have heard that other brands are available too, from camping supply stores, Target, K-Mart etc.
These filtered bottles save the expense and the hassle of purchasing water bottles in the park or making a special trip to a local grocery store.

ISLE39
03-18-2007, 09:02 PM
THIS IS WHAT I DO ON EVERY TRIP I GO ON TO WDW N I HAVE NEVER RENTED A CAR. i have 2 huge bags duffel bags and they each fit a rectangular cooler. i put the cooler in and fill itup to the 50 pound mark with water and bc i cant have caffeine i bring the 1.5 liter bottles of caf free coke. i hate diet coke so it has to be coke. i also fill my luggage up with any remaining weight of any bottled water only. if one breaks its only water. since u have a few kids each meber can have up to 2 bags so u should be good with 2 cases of poland spring water. do not put the cases in the coolers break the case up and bag it. one you will need the bags. NOW ON UR TRIP HOME in the coolers since they are hard sided i put my breakable souveniers and tape the top shut. anything thats valuable goes great in the coolers. ALSO DME IS GREAT the reality is you only have to load your luggage up once from ur house to the car and the car to the checkin desk. dme takes care of the rest no lifting of those coolers. and when u get to your room its all there. and you can fill ur coolers up with hotel ice and each day you have cold drinks. hope that helsp email me if u have any questions [e-mail address removed per Intercot's terms of service]

angedeaile
03-18-2007, 09:18 PM
What I did is I bought 2 Katadyn Micro Microfilter Water Bottles. It came plenty in handy.

We also went in August and my DBF wasn't use to the sulfer taste in southern water. I found this eliminated that problem and allowed us to fill it up anywhere... bathrooms, waterfountains, or just use ice and let it melt.

We would just clip it to my bag, so our hands were free and never ONCE bought a bottle of water our whole trip. Saved us tons of money!

Also-great investment to those going in August is those fan spritzers. DW sells them everywhere, but if you want to save the money, buy them before hand. It really helps keep you cool and there are ice carts everywhere so you can fill them up... for free.

sassafras
03-18-2007, 10:15 PM
If you're not going to rent a car to go shopping, the ideal thing is th Brita water bottles. Eash has its own filter and you can refill them easily at any drinking fountain. We've used them and had no problem since they have recloseable tops.

FatCat
03-18-2007, 10:32 PM
Obviously grocery delivery is an option

You may want to do the numbers with the fee for delivery.

However if you are adding snacks and especially BEER and liquor.
Delivery is the way to go.

faline
03-19-2007, 05:35 AM
You may want to consider using Garden Grocer (http://www.gardengrocer.com/) to deliver the things you need. It might be the simplest way to go!

alpro2
03-19-2007, 06:40 AM
I have a Camel Pack backpack, I bring a Britta water pitcher, fill the bladder of the pack halfway with ice, and fill it with the filtered water. Stays cool all day. It also doubles as a backpack, so I carry ponchos, towel, camera, etc.

I actually ship the pitcher and dry foodstuffs prior to my arrival. Saves tons of money.

merlinmagic4
03-19-2007, 06:52 AM
If you're filling up at the tap you can also bring single serve packets of flavoring.....Crystal Light, gatorade, etc. to mask the taste of the water.

KSS
03-19-2007, 07:31 AM
I say go with garden grocer. We used them for the first time last trip. We are a family of 6 and also stayed for 9 nights. We ordered 3 cases of water plus some snacks for the room and some items for breakfast. Our order was delivered about an hour after we arrived, right to our room. (you have options of when you want it delivered). It was so worth the small delivery fee just for the convenience of it. I will be using them from now on.

Snowwite
03-19-2007, 07:37 AM
You can order water from Staples online and have it delivered for FREE to resort:thumbsup:

allie_to_you
03-19-2007, 08:30 AM
I have a Camel Pack backpack.

Great tip! My DH & I also have one of these. Each morning at our resort, we also fill it up mostly with ice and then add water. It stays cold all day long and is a great way to avoid buying expensive water in the parks.

CleveRocks
03-19-2007, 09:21 AM
Gooding's, Garden Grocer, and WeGoShop are your grocery delivery options. I've used Gooding's twice and have been perfectly satisfied. I haven't used Garden Grocer, but I've spoken with the owner and I'm VERY impressed with him and his service and I highly recommend using them. I've never had any experience with WeGoShop.

If you are ONLY looking for water, then the Staples option that Snowwite mentioned is by FAR your best bet. Go to the Staples website and sign up for their Staples Rewards card, which is free and easy. Once you have a Staples Rewards card, you can get ANYTHING shipped to you for free, which includes getting a case of 2 of water shipped to your WDW resort.

my3littleones
03-19-2007, 04:23 PM
I think we will either look into the Brita bottles or check out Garden Grocer. I didn't realize delivery was even an option. If I do that then I can order snacks and breakfast stuff as well, thank you again everyone!:mickey:

nat
03-19-2007, 07:45 PM
I have always shipped a box ahead of us, mostly staple items, snacks, oatmeal, cereal, ect. nothing to heavy. Try and plan so you aren't taking much home!! It is well worth the $$ spent on shipping. We also do the grocery stop for fruits, milk, ect. As far as the water I agree, brita water filters work wonders. I make ice cubes with it too for :marg: !! A question? I need to pack Propel fitness water flavored for my son's medication, I can't take a chance that I won't be able to find it?? I usually put it in my carry on, but thats not allowed anymore. Can I put it in my luggage should it be OK???

disneyfan369
03-19-2007, 09:21 PM
What we have done in the past is this. Bring a 1 liter lexan water bottle with a wide mouth. You can get them at somewhere like Target , usually in the camping/outdoor section. Any counter service will fill it for you with ice and water for free. They always have done it for us with no problem.

That way at least you're not drinking the tepid water from the bubbler.

That is a great idea. We were trying to figure out something to do about water, because I have heard horror stories about Florida water. :mickey:

raider97
04-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Nat - My mom got me some of those individual packets of propel mix that you just add to a water bottle. She got lemon flavored for my dd, but I am sure there is others.

HTH!!

Beast_fanatic
04-17-2007, 09:44 PM
A question? I need to pack Propel fitness water flavored for my son's medication, I can't take a chance that I won't be able to find it?? I usually put it in my carry on, but thats not allowed anymore. Can I put it in my luggage should it be OK???

You can put it in your luggage, but be very aware of the weight limits. I'd also suggest wrapping it in a couple of layers - like a Ziploc bag inside a trash bag. It would be nasty to have all your clothes coated in Propel.

I don't know if this if viable for you, but I saw Propel flavor packets at Target today. If that would work, it would be a lot easier!

lindique
04-18-2007, 05:40 PM
There is a Hess gas station across the street from the Pleasure Island bus stop at Downtown Disney. They have a convenience store there. You can pick up water, snacks, breakfast items, pizza, etc. and then go back to your hotel on the bus.

dale88fan
04-19-2007, 10:20 AM
We went to Disney last August and also stayed at POR. Gardengrocer.com is the way to go! For only a $12 delivery fee you can order all kinds of groceries (no minimum order amount) and they will deliver it right to your hotel. I highly recommend them, they were great! They delivered our groceries to our hotel and our items were left at Guest Services in bags (they even refrigerated our dairy products) and when we were back from the parks on the first night we went and picked up our groceries! I had no problems, everything we ordered was there, and it was great! We ordered several cases of water, soda, milk, breakfast foods, etc… The items were maybe a little bit higher priced than you can get at the grocery store, but not bad and it’s a great convenience! Check it out, it sure beats having your luggage go over the weight limit and having to carry all that heavy stuff!

DisneyDudet
04-19-2007, 10:03 PM
I thought that they no longer make the Brita portable bottles?

lindique
04-20-2007, 05:48 PM
I thought that they no longer make the Brita portable bottles?
They don't. I read somewhere there was some sort of patent infringement and they had to stop. However there are several mail order companies out there that have a similar product.

I bought several extra filters for my bottles when I noticed they were on closeout. They last quite a while, since I only use them for travel.

disneyfan328
04-21-2007, 09:00 PM
i have a question about this. I was reading this as my DH and I were talking about this as well. I checked staples and delivery is only free if only $50.00 or more? Or did I miss something??? Help

:confused:

lindique
04-22-2007, 09:39 AM
i have a question about this. I was reading this as my DH and I were talking about this as well. I checked staples and delivery is only free if only $50.00 or more? Or did I miss something??? Help

:confused:
Staples recently changed its rules. I guess there was one too many trips to WDW bringing only a case of water.

crazypoohbear
04-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Last year I used Garden Grocer and it worked out great. we ordered beer, wine, water, soda, muffins, milk, bananas. They delivered exactly when they said they would. I would use them again:thumbsup: