PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis Excursion - Is it Worth It?

imaginos
03-18-2007, 05:39 PM
First of all, this discussion forum is among the best on the web, regardless of subject. The members have been very helpful on another one of my posts regarding photography at DW. Perhaps folks here would be so kind to help with a different kind of question?

My family, consisting of a 7 and 10 year old are booked on the Bahamian land and sea adventure May 17 - 24th. 3 days at DW then 4 days on the boat. A month or so ago we signed up for the Atlantis Aquarium excursion which is supposed to last a few hours (this is not to be confused with the beach front excursion where you get to hang out at the hotel's beach, etc.).

My readings on this board and other forums now have me questioning the wisdom of this excursion, because, quite frankly, of the over-the-top effort it takes to get there. I've read it involves a lot of walking - not necessarily just at the aquarium, but even getting to it and back. My wife and I, as well as our children, are in good health and don't mind walking a bit, but what I've read is that there are literally MILES involved in just walking there and then back again. Is this true, a bit of exaggeration on the part of the posters? I've read it more than once, so I'm guessing it is true.

Again, we don't mind walking, but after a whirlwind run about the parks for 3 days, does anyone think it may be too much for the age of our kids to walk "literally miles" for this aquarium tour. In essence, does anyone think its worth it, or should we just hang closer to the boat or do something else? Obviously, this is ultimately a matter of preference, so no one can give us the "right" answer, but what I'm looking for is the opinions of folks on this board that I'm learning to trust more and more.

Also, I've read some things about something called a "Gold Key (to the world?)". Can anyone explain to me what this is?

Thanks!

imaginos

TammiMcMan
03-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Well, I know the excursion consists of taking a boat ride over to the Atlantis. From where the boat docks to the Atlantis, it is a bit of a hike. I'd say it's about a 10 minute walk, maybe a bit more. A piece of advice, is if you really want to do the aquarium, simply go on your own. You can take a taxi right from the welcome center, to the front door of the Atlantis. Aquarium admission can be purchased for $25/pp. It gives you a little more flexibilty as well.

Also, I've read some things about something called a "Gold Key (to the world?)". Can anyone explain to me what this is?Guests who stay in a category 1, 2 or 3 stateroom are given gold room keys.

ElenitaB
03-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Tammi, do you remember by any chance how much the taxi fare was to the resort? Also, can you take a taxi there and the water ferry back?

Thanks!

TammiMcMan
03-19-2007, 09:00 AM
$4 per person, plus tip. I think there was also an additional $1 charge for the bridge. You can definitely go there by taxi and back by water ferry. I just wasn't a huge fan of the ferry. They do pack people in and there is a local on board who will give you tidbits of information as you make your way to the pier. Before you get off, he does walk around looking for cash tips. It was a little awkward.

chake
03-22-2007, 08:42 AM
i myself was disappointed in the aquarium tour. Found it was not worth the money. Nassau in general was a waste of a day, but it was nice to get off the boat for a few hours.

What i disliked about the aquarium:
Fish selection was garbage. i am a avid reef aquarium keeper. I have nicer things in my fish tank then they had there. Noting color full at all. To much walking around to see a bunch of everyday fish nothing special, no coral,

What i liked about it:
The decor was amazing. they made the whole aquarium look like the sunken city of atlantis. with ruins and what not. i though that was kewl but would have been just as cool looking at pictures of it.

The resort is just amazing, i dont even think anything in las vegas can touch it.

So if i were you i would skip the aquarium tour as well, but everyone needs to see for themselves. i woudl take the cab ride over and just walk around the resort. i think that is free or a minimal fee, but you cant go into the aquarium.

We are going back oct 30th 2008 and i am not even getting off the boat in Nassau.

Thanks

TammiMcMan
03-22-2007, 09:23 AM
i woudl take the cab ride over and just walk around the resort. i think that is free or a minimal fee, but you cant go into the aquarium.For non-resort guests, there is no fee to walk around the marina and interior of the resort. They only allow guests out into the back area with the beach and pools.

TinksPixieDust
03-22-2007, 01:35 PM
How old do you have to be to gamble at the Atlantis? 18 or 21?

TammiMcMan
03-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Both the drinking age and gambling age in Nassau is 18.

honeybear
03-22-2007, 05:39 PM
I did the Beach excursion back in '03! It was in the SUMMER in about 95 degree weather. We had my 5 and 3 year old nieces with us at the time. The walk was a bit much for them in all of that sun, but they managed it. I don't think the walk will be too much for your kids!

crazypoohbear
03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
I would recommend taking the regular taxi to Atlantis. The boat ride we took wasn't the greatest. My DS's shorts were ruined because they had whitewashed the benches and they were still damp so his shorts had white paint on them. I wasn't a fan of the "tour guide" on board dispersing trivia about the Island, then standing at the exit with hat extended! He was also a bit rude to my sister.
Also there is still quite a hike from where the boat docks to the Hotel. The cab will take you door to door.
FYI we also booked a room and had use of the pools, which were fabulous!