PDA

View Full Version : Who has done their laundry there?

piratemom
03-18-2007, 05:33 PM
We are planning a seven day trip. Plus a day there and a day back making it 9 days total. It is our first trip and doubtful we'll be going again anytime soon...I say all this because we'll most likely be running as much as our bodies will allow us to.

The trip is in May and I imagine our clothes will not be, let say, April fresh by the end of each day. I have a 7 and 4-year old and on some days they will probably need an extra change of clothes. Would it be safe to say that I can forget about doing any laundry?

TexasPrincessAurora
03-18-2007, 05:50 PM
Last trip we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. There was a laundry room next to the quiet pool by our building. I simply put the laundry into wash when we went to the pool during our afternoon break from the parks, waited 30 minutes and switched them to the dryer. In an hour the laundry was done, all while we were swimming. They do have a laundry service at the resorts where you can have them do your laundry...at a premium cost of course.

faline
03-18-2007, 06:03 PM
I haven't done laundry at Disney for years, even if it means taking more suitcases than we really need. In years past, we've planned laundry for the day we spent doing things out of the parks - such as spending time at the pool. As the other poster noted, we would do laundry while relaxing at the pool. Task accomplished while still having fun!

GoofysGirl
03-18-2007, 06:05 PM
The laundry building is close to one of the pools at All Star Sports also. I would put the laundry in and then sit by the pool while the kids swam. Be sure to have lots of quarters on hand. Also, the dryers might take 2 cycles to dry completely. One of my daughters shirts was ruined by the dryer. It was one of those $5 seasonal (her's was Valentines) shirts they have at Target. It melted the design off the front. So if you have any shirts with the "iron on" looking logo on them, don't dry them. Other than that, it was nice to have most of the laundry done when we got home!:thumbsup:

wdw_bound
03-18-2007, 06:23 PM
it's really not that big a deal. We take a break from the parks each day in the afternoon, and often will bathe/shower during that time to be fresh for dinner. Given that change of clothes, plus the change of clothes we need to allow for kids being kids, if we didn't do laundry, we'd each need one of those old steamer trunks to carry our clothes. Typically, we do two loads every three days or so. Not too bad.

We have found that the laundry tends to be more readily available right at lunch or late at night. We'll throw a couple of loads in the washer and then go to the food court for lunch, or back to the room or pool to relax. I tend to watch the time fairly closely since I remember college days when stuff left sitting in machines were routinely dumped so someone else could have a turn. The dryers tend to get VERY hot, so I put only the heartiest items in them. I also make good use of the clothesline over the tub in the room.

I also bring my own detergent/dryer sheets (or pick them up at Target when we get there) as the ones at the hotel are pricey if you need more than one or two.

Speedy1998
03-18-2007, 06:26 PM
With a 2 year old and a six year old we usually end up doing laundry at the resort during our stay, I have found 2 ways to accomplish this. 1 is while swiming during an afternoon break. The other is to put the cloths on as soon as I wake up. Go back and get everyone ready for the day, put the clothes into the dryer on the way to the food court for breakfast. And bring the clothes back to the room after we eat. This only works well for me because I am an early riser. I usually get up before 6 without an alarm clock.

BronxTigger
03-18-2007, 07:24 PM
If you have a 7 and a 4 year old, you should seriously consider taking a mid-day break each day. You will see a few less things overall, but the things you do see, you will be able to enjoy more because the children (and the parents!) will be less cranky and tired. You can do laundry on one of these afternoons, possible even while you swim as some other posters have suggested.

We did laundry one afternoon on our last trip, and it was so nice having fresh clothes half way through the trip. As an added bonus, the laundry was cheaper than my local laundry, and we were able to only take one suitcase each for an 8 day trip.

Melanie
03-18-2007, 07:34 PM
I've done laundry at both All-Star Movies and Caribbean Beach. Both times it was a family trip, and like someone said, with the little ones it's nice to have fresh clothes mid-trip. And it's nice not having to go home with a large amount of dirty clothes.

I remember doing it in the afternoon at Movies while the boys were swimming. The laundry is right off the main pool area.

At Caribbean Beach, there are laundry areas in each of the building sections, so I did it at night after we had returned from the parks.

:laundry:

tinksmom02
03-18-2007, 09:22 PM
DH does our laundry on vacation (I've trained him well LOL) He usually does a big load mid-trip, and late at night, while I'm getting DD ready for bed. This past trip he also did a big load on our last night at POR. I have to tell you, it was really nice going home and putting CLEAN clothes away, instead of loading up the washer! :o)

This past trip I got smart and found trial size bottles of detergent and boxes of fabric softener at Target for less than $1 each.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-18-2007, 10:05 PM
:thumbsup: My DH also does our laundry at WDW. He takes the boys down to the pool and does it while they swim. He usually does one load mid trip and another the night before we leave. It is so nice not to come home to dirty clothes.
I also get small travel size bottles of Tide and fabric sheets at Target for under $3. The bottles do 2 loads each. I get two and put them in a gallon size Ziploc bag in my suitcase.

I am thrilled that we joined DVC. Now, I can do laundry in our room at night without leaving our room!!

KAT1811
03-18-2007, 10:07 PM
DH does our laundry on vacation (I've trained him well LOL)

I'd love to know how you managed that!!! LOL!!! My DH tells me I have to draw him a map to the laundry room. It's on the second floor with us but he still can't seem to find it!!! LOL!!! He piles the dirty clothes by our bedroom door and the laundry fairy :tink: :laundry: brings them to the laundry room!

All kidding aside we (my mother and I DH couldn't find the laundry room there either!) did laundry the last time we were there and it worked out nicely. We have 3 DDs so doing laundry midtrip helped me not over pack any more than I usually do. Plus it was nice to not come home and have tons of laundry to do. We headed down to the quiet pool with my oldest DD after my youngest DD went to sleep and she swam while we waited for the laundry to finish. [We only had 2 DDs that trip (8 & 10 months at the time) we just had DD#3 4 months ago.] I just did it on one of the nights we went back at a decent hour. I am also planning on doing it again this trip.

If you do decide to do the laundry I'd bring a roll of quarters with you to make life easier. Also if your driving in bring your own detergent. I noticed while shopping online at Garden Grocer they carry small bottles of detergent that would be perfect for vacation and they were priced wonderfully. Much cheaper than buying those little boxes out of the machines.

GoofyFan3
03-19-2007, 07:11 AM
I've done laundry also, both stays at Caribbean Beach, it was not a problem at all. DS & DH swam and I did laundry. I am not sure but they might have hours set for when you can use them. At the CBR in Jamica it is a big building next to the pool.

I got small bottles of Tide detergent and fabric sheets at Target. Need to get them before next trip. If you are flying make sure you put the Tide in ziplock bags, they seem to leak a little. Bring a roll of Quarters, maybe 2 rolls.

merlinmagic4
03-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Where are you staying? We stay in an offsite timeshare and this is one of the BIG perks for us! We travel VERY light and probably throw a load in every night and dry it in the morning right in our timeshare. We used to have a child with a bedwetting problem so we really needed the laundry so I could wash the sheet every night too.

TheRustyScupper
03-19-2007, 10:57 AM
1) Yes, we will do a load at WDW.
2) It is very easy and doesn't take that long.
3) It also allows us to just use carry-on luggage.
4) We do it on of two ways
. . . a load while we are at the pool
. . . a load during the evening while watching TV

NOTE: How many people can say they get a whole week at WDW with just a regular size airplane carry-on?

Mickey'sGirl
03-19-2007, 11:29 AM
I have done laundry at every Disney Resort we have stayed at (my favourite is at the Caribbean Beach). Mix it into a pool break, and it is absolutely unobtrusive! (I secretly like doing :laundry: :secret: ) I have DS8 and DS3 and there are never enough t-shirts!! :mickey:

ibrowse17
03-19-2007, 11:59 AM
Yes, we have done it on our extended stays. At FtW they have a place to do laundry in each comfort station. Depending on what time of year you go, the AC/heater can feel good! Have seen people with their lawn chair hanging out in the laundry rooms to enjoy this:thumbsup:

piratemom
03-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Wow, lots of great information. I'd probably not think to take laundry detergent or quarters. I don't really want to do laundry while I'm there (even though you all say it's not that big of a deal) because it's a vacation! One week without housework or laundry. :cloud9:

But on the other hand, I can't really afford for all four of us to have 14 to 18 pairs of shorts/outfits.

Guess I'll be doing laundry!

Mickey'sGirl
03-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Wow, lots of great information. I'd probably not think to take laundry detergent or quarters.
If we fly, I pre-measure powder into zip loc baggies, and bring dryer sheets -- If we drive, I bring a jug of Tide and the dryer sheets.... I also always travel with a Tide pen. It is a spot remover that really works...and when you are travelling it is great in case you don't get to wash whatever has been soiled..... :thumbsup:

homeschool mom
03-21-2007, 03:28 PM
We have 5 children, and I have done laundry every trip. This is where a stroller comes in handy. :thumbsup: I just put the laundry bags in the stroller and head to the washers and dryers. I have done it in the early morning and the late evenings and there are always at least 2 or 3 other moms there.
I have learned from reading all of the above posts, that next time I go, I need to put on my suit and take a dip in the pool while waiting.
One time when I was doing unmentionables, I had a whole pile of socks on the folding table. The 2 other moms there were looking at that pile of socks like they really wanted to say something. Finally one of them got brave and said, "Do you have a lot of kids?" Yeah, 5 kids go through a lot of socks. :)

CarolinaWDWFan
03-21-2007, 04:01 PM
:thumbsup: We usually do laundry while down there. Every resort has laundry facilities. Try to buy your own packets of detergent, because you will pay a lot more for the detergent out of the vending machines.

Have a great trip!