PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car Restrictions

DrivingSideways
03-18-2007, 05:08 PM
We're going to WDW in May and we've kinda hit a snag in our plans. There are 4 of us going and we're all college kids with less-than-fabulous cars and smaller-than-average budgets for Disney.

Flying is definitely out, even the most discounted rates are going to be more expensive than renting a car, paying for gas, taxes, etc.

I am the oldest one going (at 23) and the youngest is 21. I have heard that some rental companies charge extra for drivers under 25, but only one website has mentioned that when I've requested a quote. I'm afraid that they'll be added on after the fact (if that makes sense).

Does anyone have a good recommendation for rental car companies that (hopefully) don't charge extra for younger drivers? We're looking to rent a small SUV for luggage hauling purposes. Any help is greatly appreciated!

faline
03-18-2007, 05:15 PM
Many rental car companies charge for additional drivers regardless of age. You'll need to ask the question of the rental companies you are considering.

Do any of you belong to AAA? If so, can they assist you in finding a rental that will meet your needs and not have any additional charges?

How about other clubs? Like BJs or Sam's Club? You can explore their rental options as well.

angedeaile
03-18-2007, 06:31 PM
I am not sure where you are planning on renting from, since every state is different.

Some states charge more, some don't let you rent SUVs, and some you can't rent at all. Alabama is one of those that you can't rent until you are 25.

What I suggest is looking under different rental companies in your area and browse under the rules and restrictions. It is all in the fine print in regards to what the rules are for your state. Calling around also helps too.

However, regardless, if you can rent, you will be charged. So, what I suggest doing is just designate one of you as a main driver. Adding extra ones is a headache and I will tell you why.

The average price for 24 and under is $25 a day. If you have additional drivers, you not only pay EXTRA for additional drivers, but an additional extra $25 a day for those drivers or atleast this is what Alamo told me. It can really add up!

SO lets say you have a three day rental that quotes at $75 and they charge an extra 8 dollars per additional driver. So you want three total drivers...$89. All three are under 25yrs...for that alone with three days is $225...so your total is $314. That is only three days and with all those fees, your price has tripled.

As for cheaper fees,the ONLY rental car place in Orlando that isn't $25 a day is Fox Rental Cars. They only charge $15. ONLY place and I think that company is only in FL. I am not familiar with what is in your area, besides the larger named companies.

Personally, if you are driving and staying longer than just a three day weekend...it WOULD be cheaper to fly.

OH- Also, most quotes online will never include the under age fee or any age restrictions like not being allowed to rent vans or suvs. I think it stinks that they do that because some people go to pick up their car and are often surprised at how much they are charged or changes to their ressie.
If you call, they will give a quote WITH the fees and inform you of other issues.

DizneyRox
03-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Under 25 and your options for a rental car are EXTREMELY limited. Like others have said, many companys will not even rent to underage drivers, those that do often charge a premium.

You best bet would be to have ONE designated driver, leave off the other drivers to save some cash. Make sure that person is the nly one driving as well, if you do get into an accident and the driver isn't actually driving, you are pretty much hosed.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the additional driver charges could easily exceed the actual cost of renting the car. You really might be better off driving one of your own vehicles. Get a good tune-up before you leave and you'll get a little more peace of mind.

King Triton
03-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Since you're not flying, presumably you'd be renting from someone in TN and driving down.

As has been mentioned, some companies will not rent to you, some will for a big price and some might, but not let you go out of state.

Look around locally. Sometimes local car dealerships rent cars out...since they're affiliated with the dealership, they may not have the same restrictions. I'd get on the phone and check things out.

MsMin
03-19-2007, 01:28 PM
Some local rental companies do not allow the car out of the state. I rented a cargo van last summer to help my son move back from Baltimore and I got a great rate but they wouldn't let my dd24 drive it at all. She drove her brother's car back. We got great rates just 59 a day and unlimited milage so you have to check around b/c many wanted 50 cents a mile.
It is difficult to rent under 25 esp. since you have to cross state lines. I imagine a bus trip would not be fun esp. on a commercial bus.
3 yrs ago my dd had a friend drive his 78 dodge duster from Vancouver to Baton Rouge and back. That had to be a record ;) Taking an older car is risky and can often end up costly if your car breaks down.
I've always used Enterprise rental and find it's best to call for a quote that way you get all the questions answered up front.
Best of luck w/ your travel plans.

MissT
03-21-2007, 01:45 AM
Have you definitely ruled out flying? With all the restrictions, gas prices, food, extra time needed for your vacation, it may be less expensive to fly and use Magical Express. Just a thought. Good luck.
BJ's has coupon codes that saved us money on our car but we're over 25...way over... but with BJ's coupon, they don't charge you for extra drivers. It may be worth checking out. We were never asked for our BJ's card though we were told we would need it upon renting.