PDA

View Full Version : Marathon and park crowds

Jenemmy
03-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Early Disney dreamin' here......we are planning a January trip for next year. I am pretty flexible on dates, and prefer to plan our stay during weekdays as opposed to weekends. That being said, how does the marathon crowd affect the park. I know the marathon is on the weekend, but should I expect folks to linger into the week after the marathon? Would it be better to go prior to the marathon? We are choosing January solely because of the lighter crowds. Thanks!:D

Melanie
03-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Jen, the week after the marathon is heavenly! :cloud9: Highly recommended. By Monday, you will see a big drop in crowds, as so many come just for the marathon weekend. I can't wait to travel at that time again!

faline
03-18-2007, 04:42 PM
I've never heard that the marathon has a major impact on crowds in the parks. I'm sure it does increase attendance somewhat.

Jenemmy
03-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Jen, the week after the marathon is heavenly! :cloud9: Highly recommended. By Monday, you will see a big drop in crowds, as so many come just for the marathon weekend. I can't wait to travel at that time again!

:yay: WooooHooooo --- Mel, you are my new favorite person for posting that :mickey: lol.
My parents have agreed to join our family on this trip and my dad's birthday will fall that week after the marathon. That is really when i hoped to go. I know I am soooooo early in thinking all this through, but my mom has just discovered that she needs treatment for some skin cancers and talking about this seems to be doing wonders for her moral. I really think I will go ahead and book this week just so she can join me in obsessively planning and get her mind on happy things. Thanks again.....

Donald A
03-18-2007, 07:32 PM
I am going that week as well. Sounds like a great time and a great value for the DVC points.

DisneyDudet
03-19-2007, 01:37 AM
We were there during the marathon in 2003. It was amazingly quiet. The crowds were heavy with people watching during the day. The crowds went with the pack. We were there only a few days and I rode ToT 7 times! We never waited in line for anything. By the evening, the crowds picked up a bit, but NOTHING that we were used to in the summer. It is great, even if you go during the marathon. It was quite cold, which possibly kept crowds down.

We went Jan 2006 for the E:E AP preview weekend, and it was pretty crowded, not too much, but def more than when we went in 2003. The weather was very warm that weekend. This was the last weekend in Jan. We were there for two days.. flew in on Sat morning and flew out Sun night... we did all 4 parks, PLUS DTD. Can you say super tourist?! We did everything we usually do except Splash.. a little too cool once we got to MK!

Jan is a great time to go!

mrsgaribaldi
03-19-2007, 01:45 AM
We were there this year for part of the marathon and it wasn't bad at all:thumbsup:

May524
03-19-2007, 02:26 AM
We arrived on Saturday for our honeymoon which was the weekend of the marathon. We didn't find it unbearable at all. The big attractions were busy, which was to be expected, but all in all we had a heavenly trip! We LOVED the weather! :mickey:

Melanie
03-19-2007, 03:18 AM
Oh, let me add though Jen - Saturday and Sunday mornings can be quite hectic around Epcot, as that is the start and finish for the races. I would avoid that park (and maybe MGM on Sunday) until later in the afternoon during those two days. Other than that - smooth sailing! I don't think you'll regret choosing that week. Good luck to your mom!

Jenemmy
03-19-2007, 05:57 AM
We were there for two days.. flew in on Sat morning and flew out Sun night... we did all 4 parks, PLUS DTD. Can you say super tourist?!

:notworth: WOW! You're my hero :mickey: That is amazing! Of course, I want to go back to bed just thinking about it! I can't imagine how exhausting that would be. Sure says something about the lines, tho.....

Jenemmy
03-19-2007, 06:00 AM
Thanks to everyone! Looks like this will be a great time to go.....I typically go during hurrican season, and have been there twice for hurricanes, so i guess that is one thing I won't have to worry about! I can take a temp drop as it will probably be stupid cold here at home at that time (It is still stupid cold now! LOL)

This is a little strange for me. My dh is not a big planner and has been known to come home from work and say "Want to go to WDW next week?" So, to be thinking 10 months ahead like this is weird.

TheRustyScupper
03-19-2007, 11:04 AM
1) The marathon does not add a lot to the parks.
2) Yes, certain hotels, but not the parks.
3) Go and enjoy the low crowd levels.

NOTE: It can affect traffic flow during the EARLY MORNING HOURS, but not during the hours when guests typically enter the roads for park opening. For those with early ADR's, you might run into delays due to closed or blocked roadways - this includes taking WDW buses. Allow extra time. Missed ADR's are not held or made-up.

Melanie
03-21-2007, 01:55 AM
NOTE: It can affect traffic flow during the EARLY MORNING HOURS, but not during the hours when guests typically enter the roads for park opening.

This is likely true on Saturday (half-marathon), but not necessarily on Sunday. Race starts at 6am, or maybe 5:30am, and with many taking 4+ hours to complete the marathon, it's going to still be affecting traffic around Epcot well into the morning.

It's still best to avoid Epcot if you can.

MissT
03-21-2007, 01:57 AM
Went during marathon 2006 and would plan vacation to follow marathon weekend. Not because the marathon crowds but rather that this year, we were there 1/4-9th Thurs-tues. Those dates fell partly on school vacation week. Apparently, schools in Florida and some around the country extend for the week following New Years. The crowds were heavy until Sunday of Marathon. Getting to the parks on Marathon Sunday took about an hour but we left hour hotel at 7:15am for a 9 am opening at MK. After the marathon went through MK, crowd cleared to another park. Thurs - Sat were terribly busy with Spring break like crowds. Short version of all this, your planning the perfect time if you arrive just after Marathon.
Happy travels.

cvzdesign
03-21-2007, 08:27 AM
What about the Minnie Marathon in May?
I couldn't find a lot of details on it.
Some sites it seemed like it was in the sports complex, and others talked about Epcot.

Anyone know any more?

We already have our trip planned, so won't change it, but it could affect what days we would go to each park.