PDA

View Full Version : Traditions you do - auto's, pennies, etc.

Sharon1026
03-17-2007, 05:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone had traditions that they did on their trips -extra things like having to get autographs with characters, a pressed penny collection, pin trading, epcot passport, hidden mickeys, etc. Something that is an extra "goal" that they work on.

My DS 11 really likes squished pennies. For $10.22, we can get 20 around the park! (Not that we ever really get that many).

Just curious as to what quirky fun things people like to add on.

p.s about pin trading - Isn't the number of different pins being produced just out of control? I only collect Stitch pins - if I get any.

:stitch2:

mudpuppysmom
03-17-2007, 05:56 PM
My cousin got DS (who was 3 at the time) started on pin trading.....he is now (at 5) a pin trading a holic!!! He THINKS he needs to trade with EVERY CM he sees!!! We have all tried to tell him that he does not NEED to trade with every single CM he sees, but here and there!!! AND, to further that one, he HAS to actually complete a trade to be happy!!! I could just "brain" my cousin!!!!:stop: :nono: :down: :rant: :bang: but DS enjoys himself doing it, he just slows us down quite a bit from doing other things.

Also, we have started to do pressed pennies/quarters. Seems like a lot of the machines are being switched from pennies to quarters -- at least it seemed like it last trip. We did find some cool ones at the resort hotels though, so that was fun!

Those two "hobbies" are quite enough for us thank you!!

WDWTEXAS
03-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I guess this is sort of what you are talking about. Every time I get off TTA, as I go down the moving walkway, I "slap" the blue roof. This is also a bit similar, every time get on or off the plane at the airport, I touch the blue One World sticker next to the door.

To keep with the pin theme, if I save enough money, I collect a set of 12 pins. I get (at least) one Mickey pin, one American pin, one pin with a foreign country, one Toy Story pin, and an animated movie pin, and then just any other pin I want.

mickeysworld
03-17-2007, 06:28 PM
Pressed pennies, or as my girls like to call them, "Penny Smashers!" are very popular with us, and not just Disney ones, anywhere we go, they keep an eye out for these things! Sharon, I see we are neighbors!

LudwigVonDrake
03-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Two...I have to buy a WDW baseball cap EVERY trip and I have to shop at the store that's just outside the turnstiles at the Animal Kingdom (I can't remember the name right now) :mickey:

CraniumCommando
03-17-2007, 07:16 PM
I buy a T-shirt (at least one, often more :mickey: ) every trip.

I was collecting ride vehicles, but this time the only ones I saw were the Buzz Light Year car which I already have, and the Resort bus which I bought. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know if the ride vehicles are still being made? I think I have most of them.

Oh yeah, I just remembered my new tradition. I take a picture of my wife in the UK wearing a bobby helmet.:cop:

AndrewJackson
03-17-2007, 07:23 PM
I started collecting sericels from Disney/MGM studios. They have a series of "Magic of Disney Animation" cels. I started collecting back in 1992. I have the first one in the series, as well as several others that have been retired. I don't get one every year. I now have 8 in me collection. They are all lined up on the wall in the basement.

DisneyOtaku
03-17-2007, 07:37 PM
I buy trading pins, but I usually don't go trading them ^^; I don't also always collect Disney ones (though those are the majority of them), but I also have anime pins and such. I wear them on my visor and the characters all love to look at them when I get pictures taken ^^

casey@bat
03-17-2007, 07:37 PM
We get an ornament for our Christmas tree every trip. Sometimes we make one out of whatever. One summer, we got a "button pin" from River Country and made it into an ornament. It reminds us of River Country and how Goofy got into the water and played with the kids. He also went down the slide! It was so much fun!

darthmacho
03-17-2007, 07:43 PM
I've just gotta visit France for a glass of wine and a pastry! :wine: :artist:

Ghost * Hostess
03-17-2007, 07:53 PM
We also do the pressed pennies and quarters. We always purchase the the photos from the character breakfasts and dinners. Have been collecting those since dd first trip and are a must have. Also because most of our trips we have gone in Nov/Dec we always get Christmas decorations for the tree and around the house and our number one yearly decoration is a gingerbread ornament from the Grand Floridian's Gingerbread House. We have many other traditions like the order of the rides we go on when we arrive and where we have lunch. I miss being there so much.:mickey:

mook3y
03-17-2007, 08:23 PM
Lol... me thinks pins are unavoidable when you have little kids. We watch disney's store for pin sales and buy up a bunch when they are cheap so that we have "stock" our kids can trade when we visit the world.

Personally, I like the pressed coins :blush: I have been collecting them for many years. Only Disney tho...

As far as collecting things go... I think we should all count our blessings that Pogs didn't stay super popular! :D

As far as traditions in the World, It appears one we are starting is the kids and myself getting hair cuts at the MK barbershop on the first full day at the park. They love to walk around the park with pixie dust and get a kick out of daddy doing the same. We have done that on our first 2 trips and have plans to repeat this tradition this year! :mickey:

Donald A
03-17-2007, 08:35 PM
My wife and I have bought a drawing or taken a picture of the resort we have stayed at every trip beginning with our honeymoon. We display all these resorts in nice frames on the wall of our guest bedroom.

Sharon1026
03-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Pressed pennies, or as my girls like to call them, "Penny Smashers!" are very popular with us, and not just Disney ones, anywhere we go, they keep an eye out for these things! Sharon, I see we are neighbors!

Lucky us! We are so close to the park...
We were going to go this afternoon, but DS is feeling under the weather. Oh well... there's always next weekend!

Sharon1026
03-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Wow, what great traditions everyone has! I really like all of the ideas that people have.

Do they still sell the ride cars? I don't think I've ever seen those.

snowflakegirl
03-17-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm mildly obsessed with the pressed pennies. We also collect pins. And we always get one shot glass from each theme park and downtown disney plus one or two of rides that we particularly liked.

CraniumCommando
03-17-2007, 10:14 PM
Wow, what great traditions everyone has! I really like all of the ideas that people have.

Do they still sell the ride cars? I don't think I've ever seen those.

Die cast scale models of the ride cars, usually with a Disney character riding in them

tinksmom02
03-17-2007, 11:20 PM
I was wondering if anyone had traditions that they did on their trips -extra things like having to get autographs with characters, a pressed penny collection, pin trading, epcot passport, hidden mickeys, etc. Something that is an extra "goal" that they work on.

My DS 11 really likes squished pennies. For $10.22, we can get 20 around the park! (Not that we ever really get that many).

Just curious as to what quirky fun things people like to add on.

p.s about pin trading - Isn't the number of different pins being produced just out of control? I only collect Stitch pins - if I get any.

Um, yes to all! LOL DD was the perfect age for autographs on our last trip (almost 4 1/2), so we focused a lot on that (too much, according to DH!). And I'd purchased some pins off of eBay for her to trade (not enough, apparently, she traded for ones she liked and then made me buyv tons more, for keepers LOL). I bought her the passport in Epcot, which she had fun with (AND the mask, too LOL) and I wanted to draw the line at that, but then grandma got her into the penny pressing, and that became the mission: Grandpa had to find the penny press EVERYWHERE we went! We bought the penny press book (a great investment of $6.50, by the way), and filled up up 2/3 in a matter of days! I actually think Grandpa had more fun with that then Jenna did!

So yes, my daughter has a collection of collections in her room now LOL

Sharon1026
03-18-2007, 08:25 AM
Die cast scale models of the ride cars, usually with a Disney character riding in them

Thanks! I went to ebay and saw some there, too. I might have to get a doombuggy....

:mickey:

Jared
03-18-2007, 09:14 AM
I buy a new T-shirt virtually every trip. My favorite store is Mouse Gears in Epcot.

We always make funny faces in the camera on moving platform leading back to Tomorrowland after Space Mountain.

My brother and I wave at the oncoming cars on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

:)

disneydawniebeth
03-18-2007, 10:45 AM
We always stop in Norway for a treat! By then, we could use a rest!

We also buy my DH a Grumpy had or shirt everytime we go! It suits him well! (Although don't let the word get out-he picked Disney this year over any other vacation option we gave him!) He has become one of us!:party:

disneymom2000
03-18-2007, 11:54 AM
My tradition starts with planning my vacation. First I buy the Birnbaum's planner for that year. Then when I get there I plan out my park days. On my Magic Kingdom day I have to get a picture with the person I take in front of the statue of Mickey & Walt. I get two copies of all the park maps and mark on one, everything we do and one is kept clean. Then I buy a scrapbook from Downtown Disney with the year imprinted and put everything together to save all the memories of that visit.

cgriff
03-18-2007, 12:04 PM
two words: Dole whip

tinkerbell04
03-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I have taken a picture of my DD every trip since her first trip in from of the totem poles in Canada. I chose that location because are carved lines on the poles and I can literally see her grow up through out the pictures. I also always take a family picture by the DVC sign at our home resort :) :mickey:

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-18-2007, 12:29 PM
My kids collect pins. They do not trade them, they really put alot of thought into the ones they want so, they usually have meaning to them. The last thing they want to do is trade them. ;) They are allowed to get one for each park, each trip. And, to make it more fun, it has to apply to that park. Ex., They won't buy a pin with an Epcot ride at MK. :mickey:

I get a baseball cap each trip.

DD 3, has gotten a new Princess dress each trip since her first one at age 1. They will contiune until she does not want them anymore. :(

We also must ride POTC first each day we spend at MK. That started with my middle son.

TheMartellFamily
03-18-2007, 12:57 PM
We have two traditions when at WDW. The first one is that we go to Che Mickeys on our first morning before starting our day of our trip. The other is that our last ride always is Pooh in the MK. My DS's are growing up so fast that when they are old are they still wanting to do this tradition? I really hope so. As for purchases we like to get a new beach towel

Jerry2
03-18-2007, 01:00 PM
One tradition that we have is I always video tape my son in the same places every trip. Our first trip with him was in 1996 when he was 3 and we’ve gone 5 times since then, and he will be 14 next week. It is fun seeing him do the same things at the same place at different ages. One thing that I always taped is him saying “goodbye Disney World” as we are walking out the front gate.

When he was younger we did the autograph thing, but he grew out of that thankfully.

He’s always collected pins. He used to trade, but now we pretty much buy a few that we like on every trip. We have to get at least one that is dated, and if we are there for a holiday we get the pin for that holiday.

He also got into pressed pennies. That hobby has extended past Disney and we get pressed pennies wherever we go.

One other tradition is we always wear out Disney hats. I have a straw golf hat that I bought in AK several years ago. My wife has a leopard print visor, also from AK, and my son has a kaki WDW visor that he bought several years ago. We bring them with us on every trip. We don’t wear them every day but about half the time.

Also the MK has to be the last park we visit.

Darin M
03-18-2007, 01:38 PM
My girlfriend and I just started going to DisneyWorld in '06. So we are starting traditions. One thing we did last summer that was fun and cheap was having an eating competition.
We fell in love with The Electric Umbrella at Epcot and after ordering our meals we went over to the condiments and took a bunch of pickle slices (which are free). After we were done eating our meals, we had 10 slices each, and we raced to see who can get them down quicker, without making a scene, very quietly.
To my surprise, she beat me. But now I know that every year we go, we'll be competing. Our first rematch is this August. This year I will probably record it, and hopefully beat her.
If you dont like pickles, then this definitely isn't for you.
However, It's fun and different, try it out!

Victor Kelly
03-18-2007, 02:04 PM
I collect shot glasses. I have too many to dsiplay, but I keep collecting them.

Sharon1026
03-18-2007, 02:36 PM
My girlfriend and I just started going to DisneyWorld in '06. So we are starting traditions. One thing we did last summer that was fun and cheap was having an eating competition.
We fell in love with The Electric Umbrella at Epcot and after ordering our meals we went over to the condiments and took a bunch of pickle slices (which are free). After we were done eating our meals, we had 10 slices each, and we raced to see who can get them down quicker, without making a scene, very quietly.
To my surprise, she beat me. But now I know that every year we go, we'll be competing. Our first rematch is this August. This year I will probably record it, and hopefully beat her.
If you dont like pickles, then this definitely isn't for you.
However, It's fun and different, try it out!

Ooh! I think you should end the competition with going on Mission:Space and see who doesn't hurl... :mickey:

DDuck66
03-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Every year we do a Penny Press Book for one person as a Christmas gift. We fill the entire book with the pennies and the quarters trying to get those special Disney Images that will please their individual tastes. That way they have a unique gift. I believe it only costs us about $45 to complete a book including the cost of the book itself.

Dreamer7080
03-19-2007, 01:02 PM
My boyfriend and I have a goal to eat in the main restaurant in every country at Epcot. So far we have done Mexico, Italy, America, Japan, Morocco together. We have Norway, China, Germany, France, United Kingdom, & Canada left. I have eaten at a handful of them with my family, but they dont count because my bf and I have not eaten there together.

We have been having some trouble reaching the goal, however. There are sooo many places we love to eat at all over WDW! And when at Epcot, we tend to crave and favor Mexico and Japan and end up eating there quite often. :blush:

kimommy63
03-19-2007, 05:38 PM
:mickey:
This is my six year old sons response to this question:

Hi everyone! My traditions when we visit WDW are Pin trading (my mom says this is the most expensive tradition we have) and Penny Pressing (mom won't let me do quarters:nono:
and autographs when the line isnt too long and it isnt too hot waiting in the sun. I especially like Mickey and Donald!:sadwave: :coaster: :donald: :goofy: :mjump:

kbhanda
03-19-2007, 05:55 PM
This is a great thread.......I am enjoying all of the responses.

I would say POTC and HM rides each trip completes me. Also pin trading.

But I always have to be at early magic hour for MGM, hit the rope drop and make the speed walk directly to TOT where DH and I get the baby swap ticket and I trek first to the lobby and get that first early morning adrenaline rush, we swap and after he is done shop in the gift shop then go directly to RnR and do the same thing again. Then we stroll back down toward the hat for coffee or something.......Nothing like a good head rush first thing in the AM.

Addendum: Also Boma!! Must go to Boma at least once, to my DH it is another can't miss attraction!

pook@wdw
03-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Pin trading is a must. We've been doing it since my DD was 10 (she's 14 now) and she also has to get the squished pennies to fill her books. Something cool we did in 05 was the "Disney Garden Collection" A pin set that mounted on a garden background suitable for framing. This set had us on a quest all over Epcot looking for these pins in different locations "around the World". And may I say, it looks "fabulous" on our wall!!:D

LoriMistress
03-19-2007, 07:12 PM
The last park we'll do is MK. Last year the final ride we rode on was Peter Pan, so we'll probably keep that tradition. I introduced riding SpM during night, which he liked, so we might have those as tradition.

AliceinDisney
03-19-2007, 07:16 PM
My little Disney Tradition is to buy a doll, I have been collecting Madame Alexander/Effanbee( I dont even think they make fairy tale dolls) anymore, since I was 5 and my mom bought me a Snow White doll. SInce then I've collected dolls. Last trip I got a porcelain Alice in Wonderland doll from Marie Osmond. I now have about ten dolls. I also like to make a point of eating lunch at Pinocchio's Village Haus. I love that little place with the view of Small World, and the Pinocchio wall frescos.

Natazu
03-19-2007, 09:23 PM
We always have Casey's for lunch on day 1.

dolphinmickey9170
03-19-2007, 10:16 PM
My brother and I wave at the oncoming cars on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

:)

:hi: I do that too. So maybe we have said hi to each other.

Everytime I exit ToT, we ding the bell for the bellhop. I have done this everytime without fail. My husband thinks I'm crazy! Well, crazy for Disney.

Another thing we do is our last night has to be spent at MK. It is so hard to leave the world, so I make MK our final to-do. I end every trip with a walk down Main Street and say goodbye to Walt's Window. Until next time. It's so hard to leave.

dtootsie42
03-19-2007, 10:31 PM
We have a couple of traditions that we always do....I always get a new t-shirt on my visits, since we go in December I have some pretty neat Holiday shirts...my one daughter is a figure skater so she is always on the look out for pins with the characters on ice skates. Not an easy thing to find. My oldest daughter always gets some kind of crystal item. My middle daughter usually gets a new cell. My hubby just hands over the money! :laughing:

We also start our visit with lunch at Fultons and then do some shopping and our last day at the world we always go to Le Cellier for lunch.

Dec. 97-Contemporary
Dec. 99-Poly
2000-Disneyland
Dec. 2001-Poly Concierge
Dec. 2003-Poly Concierge
Dec. 2005-Poly Concierge
Upcoming trip
Dec. 2007-Poly Concierge

mizzoumouse
03-19-2007, 10:53 PM
We always take our DD (9) picture with Chip and Dale. Her 1st trip was when she was 4 and she has been nnumerous times since then. It is neat to see her grow up and get taller in the pictures! Hopefully we will do this for many years to come. We just need to come up with a tradition for our DS (7) now!

ElenitaB
03-19-2007, 11:12 PM
We have a few traditions, and it's certainly nice to read other people's as well.

* We always take a "terrified" picture on the TTA.
* We always catch a dose of pixie dust from Tink during Wishes (we generally watch from the Rose Garden or from the walkway between Tomorrowland and the hub
* My DS always gets a t-shirt with the year on it and I always get a coffee mug with the same
* We always buy the next year's calendar
* We always start planning our next vacation before the current one ends

GiltterDisneyGirl
03-20-2007, 12:20 AM
umm getting a new pin, penny press, to a new charm for my bracelet. I've been going for so many years, I get diffent things each time. lol :D

Here we go again...
03-20-2007, 03:05 AM
* We always start planning our next vacation before the current one ends
I thought we were the only ones that did this :mickey:

My DD has always done the pin trading thing and I am afraid to say that I have been bitten by that bug too. :blush:

We always see Mickey's Philharmagic first.

We have hot chocolate every night before bed... even in the summer. There is just something about the chocolate in Disney World.

Seasonscraps
03-20-2007, 03:49 AM
We get a Christmas ornament every time we visit DW and DH usually gets a watch.

Sharon1026
03-20-2007, 09:28 PM
I thought we were the only ones that did this :mickey:

My DD has always done the pin trading thing and I am afraid to say that I have been bitten by that bug too. :blush:

We always see Mickey's Philharmagic first.

We have hot chocolate every night before bed... even in the summer. There is just something about the chocolate in Disney World.

Our son likes to get the funnel cakes in Epcot when we go. yum!

Natazu
03-21-2007, 03:22 AM
* We always take a "terrified" picture on the TTA.

Oh, that reminds me - the No Bad Dancing pose on the TTA

LibertyTreeGal
03-21-2007, 06:22 AM
I collect churros, look see, they are right here on my posterior and hips for everyone to see :blush:

dumbodoughboy
03-21-2007, 09:38 AM
Besides the pressed pennies, which I also get anywhere I can find them on vacation, my husband and I have to have a picture taken with a character every time we go. Funny how no matter how tired or windburn or bad we look for that picture, it always comes out as one of the best pictures we take. Must be that Disney magic...:mickey:

battle beast
03-21-2007, 11:16 AM
I always take a photo of the plaque "Here you leave today..." as you enter, and I ALWAYS ride the Matterhorn FIRST, and ONLY ONCE, and I try to eat at the blue Bayou. Also, when I exit Pirates, I exit by the FAR RIGHT turnstyle (Which they took out, sadly.)

Sharon1026
03-21-2007, 11:54 AM
I collect churros, look see, they are right here on my posterior and hips for everyone to see :blush:

Oh yes, I have churro collection, too.;)

I usually bring home the soap in the mickey wrapper from our hotel. Our son likes to use it after the trip to remind him of our vacation.

Here we go again...
03-21-2007, 11:55 AM

:haha: :haha: :haha: :eat:

BrerSchultzy
03-21-2007, 12:20 PM
WOW. I love this thread. I'm actually getting goosebumps reading it.

We've been going for so many years now, that it's hard to pick out traditions...

We always head over the the Contemporary game room some time in the middle of our trip, whether we're staying there or not (although that will probably change with all the changes to the contemporary).

My dad and I have a competition every year to get the best Hawaiian shirt with Disney Characters on it.

My dad and I have a new one...we head over to AK to get churros and coffee first thing in the morning...this backfired on us one year, as we decided to ride Kali River Rapids as soon as it opened...but also as soon as the skies opened up to welcome in a Florida Hurricane...we rode it twice without stopping in the middle of gale winds and more rain than I've ever seen in my life.

My mom feeds the birds at whatever resort we stay at...and it's gotten to a point where I think the birds know we're coming. As my nephew once said, I hope we never stay at AKL...we'll have giraffes at our back door every day waiting for popcorn.

My wife and I have started a few traditions...we have to eat at the Plaza restaurant...and we have to buy the strangest character ears we can find, and wear them around...last time it was Goofy's pirate ears. Oh, and she has to get a charm for her new charm bracelet. AND, we do the "Around the world" at Epcot...we buy one appetizer and one beverage from each country in WS...it takes a while, but BOY is it worth it.

My entire family ALWAYS uses the Plaza Pavilion as the meeting point in MK.

As far as pin-trading goes...we stopped when it became too crazy...I still have all the original Millenium pins from DS...but now there are just too many.

We always drive to WDW...no matter where we live. And my mom always says "Welcome Home" as we go under the WDW gateway.

We are always sad to leave...very very sad.

Figgyluv03
03-21-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm a pin trader!!! And I started doing the pressed coins, but I only have one for the ToT and that's it. I'm hoping to get more when I go back.

Sharon1026
03-21-2007, 07:27 PM
WOW.
My dad and I have a competition every year to get the best Hawaiian shirt with Disney Characters on it.

Awesome tradition! :party: Where do you get find your shirts at? Just wondering where I can pick one up for my hubby. I've seen them on disney.com in the shopping section, but that's about it.

Mickey 101
03-22-2007, 01:46 AM
We always go to the parks in this order: MK, Epcot, AK, MGM.....then go back for favorites

First ride.....Buzz

First lunch.....Cosmic Ray's

We watch Illuminations about five times each trip, complete with a glass of wine from France :cloud9:

Call the airlines about 10 times to see if maybe, just maybe our flight is delayed before leaving MK on our last day :blush:

Cry

BrerSchultzy
03-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Awesome tradition! :party: Where do you get find your shirts at? Just wondering where I can pick one up for my hubby. I've seen them on disney.com in the shopping section, but that's about it.

That's part of the competition...last year, my wife found the Stitch, Donald and Goofy one at the Polynesian. The Adventureland Bazaar is good for them too (that's where I got the Jessica and Roger Rabbit shirt)...But they don't necessarily have to be "Hawaiian" shirts...so long as they're button-up, short sleeved, a little tacky and a lot busy.

They're out there...you just have to search. They're usually about $25 - $40 each. I've got four...dad has 5 or six.

Goofy1060
03-22-2007, 01:41 PM
We always get at least one new Christmas ornament. We also go to the Hoop Dee Do Review each trip. This years trip (next week) is on very short notice, so some of the traditions we typically do (DW & DD hitting a Princess Breakfast) may not happen as the ADRs are sold out.

Jeff G
03-22-2007, 03:38 PM
We collect the Christmas Tree oranments, it all started when my DW and I were at WDW for our honeymoon in 1994 and purchased an ornament to mark the occasion. Since then we have purchased enough ornaments that our entire tree is DIsney ornaments complete with a Snow White topper and the WDW train running under it.

Another tradition we have is that we have our picture taken on Main Street USA every trip. When we look back at the pictures over the years it's great to see the changes and watch our family grow from two to six. The varying expressions on the kids faces from year to year at different ages is priceless.

CarolinaWDWFan
03-22-2007, 04:23 PM
:mickey: I collect the park maps. Because I have been so many times, I never use them, but I make sure I have a map from every park at every visit.

Sharon1026
03-22-2007, 07:14 PM
That's part of the competition...last year, my wife found the Stitch, Donald and Goofy one at the Polynesian. The Adventureland Bazaar is good for them too (that's where I got the Jessica and Roger Rabbit shirt)...But they don't necessarily have to be "Hawaiian" shirts...so long as they're button-up, short sleeved, a little tacky and a lot busy.

They're out there...you just have to search. They're usually about $25 - $40 each. I've got four...dad has 5 or six.

Thanks for the info. We are going at the end of the month. Not sure which park - if I see any good ones, I'll let you know so you can get a jump start on your dad!

Magic Smiles
03-22-2007, 10:57 PM
We buy Beach Towels. It started in 2000 when we were having our pool installed, but now we can't stop. Every trip we go we seem to buy more beach towels. We must have between 20 and 30 now. Just when will it stop???
We started a new tradition in 2005, we stay in the same room at the POFQ every time. We request the room by number and so far we have been lucky and given it.

mook3y
03-22-2007, 11:14 PM
We just started a new tradition last visit that we plan on doing from now on. We get an oyster in Japan showcase to get a pearl.

We are going to save up the pearls for 15 - 20 years and then have similar jewelry made for my DW and DD who's 2 now

DisneyMP3Maker
03-23-2007, 12:06 AM
my wife and i love to find as many hidden mickeys as possible, without reading the book about them. we also like to ride TTA and just stay on it 2 times in a row...it's very relaxing and fun to ride around Tomorrowland.
our favorite, though, is buying the Nestle Tollhouse ice cream cookies at every park. anytime we see a stand, we have to go get one.
getting pictures with as many different hats and ears is another favorite. :mickey:

Clotho
03-23-2007, 02:16 AM
Another pin trader here, and I completely agree that the number of released pins every year is waaay out of control. It is so overwhelming, it kinda of takes some of the fun out of it. But at the same time, finding new pins you never saw before, of your favorite themes or characters...it would be hard to be surprised if there were fewer releases. So I kinda get it on one level...but I think it could slow down a smidge... and allow us to acclimate a little to the pins as they are released, ya know?

I collect pennies for my friends who collect them. they almost never go to Disney, so it's fun to get them some they would never get.

Traditions...

1) (DLR) Get a Dole Whip and eat it in the Tiki Room (this is a newer one for us, but a common one for others)

2) (DLR) Get a Mint Julep and an order of beignets and enjoy them in the shade of the trees, hopefully listening to music, but at least people-watching as the trains go by.

3) (MK) Get my hair sparkly at the barber shop on Main Street

4) (either) Get a Turkey Leg to share. Sit and people-watch while we knock it back together.

5) (DLR) Napa Rose. Must eat at Napa Rose. Every. Time.

6) (DCA) A lunch at Whitewater Snacks. Great food, quiet, a great break from everything. I get a toasted cheese sandwich. Yum.

We don't go often enough to have more traditions...yet. :P

BritCody
03-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Both of my Kids collect the pins and neither of them trade them.

Every trip we eat at Chef Mickey's at least once.

My mother has a tradition of singing the It's a Small World song to for the entire Small World ride. When I was a toddler it was ok but when I was a teen it drove me crazy. She did it to my kids when they were toddlers and now that they are teens it drives them crazy. Now I just sit back and laugh.

The last tradition we have is that we always tour the MK on our last day. We may tour the MK 3 or 4 times during a vacation, but no matter what we always tour the MK on out last day. We always open the park and close it that day, it is sort of like saying good-bye and we will see you next year!!!

BellewanaB
03-23-2007, 08:55 AM
For all the choc-o-holics, I always go around World Showcase and buy a chocolate from each country. I've also made gift baskets for friends with this concept. It's a fun way to not bleed the bank.

I, also, collect shot glasses from all over the parks.

For a few years in college, we also used to bring a keepsake named "mary" down and place her inconspicuously in pictures so in the family photos it was a "where's waldo" only with mary- VERY funny the places you can put a keepsake. I think I've heard of people buying a small Mickey and doing the same in their photos. "The Smith Family Hidden Mickey Collection"

Sharon1026
03-23-2007, 12:04 PM
We buy Beach Towels. It started in 2000 when we were having our pool installed, but now we can't stop. Every trip we go we seem to buy more beach towels. We must have between 20 and 30 now. Just when will it stop???
We started a new tradition in 2005, we stay in the same room at the POFQ every time. We request the room by number and so far we have been lucky and given it.

30 beach towels??? Holy cow.When's the pool party?:D

Kristi Kay
04-02-2007, 05:29 PM
I have a ton..
1. Take an excessive amount of photo for my scrapbook

2. Get a Dole Whip

3. Buy the Newest Mickey Ears

4. Run Through the Fountains at DTD

5. Get the Newest Potato Head Pieces...they are fantastic fun!

6. Get my doggie a new Mickey Toy from Mickey Tails

7. Take a Photo with Mickey and Cindy

8. Send postcards to all my friends and family from the MK

9. Go to the Adventures Club @ PI

10. Spend too much money....

GINNY69
04-02-2007, 07:46 PM
I usually get a T-shirt and I like to collect those souvinir spoons..

TIdoubleGR
04-03-2007, 12:17 PM
:nopity: Traditiooooooooon, tradition!

We've got a few:
*New shirt (t-shirt, sweatshirt...both... :secret: )
*Pin trading
*Riding the monorail and reciting "Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas"
*Dancing in the Innoventions breezeway with the bouncy music-- you all know what track I mean, don't pretend you don't... :blush:
*Push Pal Mickey's hand every time he vibrates, even though you know he's just going to tell you about the short wait on M:S for the 50th time or the same corny joke about Buzz
*Take a picture to make it look like someone's holding up SSE or wearing the hat at MGM