PDA

View Full Version : Tips on renting strollers??

jaredkari
03-17-2007, 11:29 AM
We are going to MK for a one day visit in the middle of May. We are going for the first time with my in-laws. They have two small girls (5 and 3) and we will need to get a stroller. Could someone explain the stroller rental process and if they have any tips on how to make the process as quick and easy as possible.

This is their first time to WDW and I don't want their first memory of it to be waiting in an hour line to get a stroller. Thanks :mickey:

kathiep
03-17-2007, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't recommend renting a stroller.

We found it much easier to bring our umbrellas strollers rather than rent. They are much smaller and much easier to navigate.

The unmbrellas can be folded and brought onboard the railroad and the monorail. The rental strollers can not. Depending on your transportation, if you are driving your own vehicle, it is handy to have your strollers to use through the parking lots.

If they choose to go this route, try to find the stroller connectors, so the 2 umbrellas can be pushed by one person. And be sure to get a stroller bag that can be attached to the handles to store some of the items they'll need to bring.

I didn't see any storage functions on the strollers available to rent.
Have a great visit.

kadesha
03-17-2007, 12:51 PM
I would definetly rent. It doesn't cost much and is just easier for us. We rented a double stroller for our 2 and 3 year olds. The line was not long. There was a lady startioned before we even got into the park who we paid and she gave us our ticket and "name card." We just took it up to the place where you get the strollers near the entrance, waited no more than 5 minutes and had our stroller. They strollers are roomy and have lots of compartments on the back for storage. They also have a canopy. For 2 kids, there is no way I'd be dragging my own stroller around, renting is the way to go. It's not a hassle at all. At the end of your day, you just go back to the stroller rental place near the entrance and return it, no big deal! ;)

CleveRocks
03-17-2007, 04:19 PM
Under normal circumstances, here is the process for renting a double stroller for one day at MK.

After going through the turnstiles, go forward and towards the right. You'll see the stroller rental store. Wait in line, tell them you need a double for one day. You will be charged $18 + tax. They will give you a rental pass with that day's date stamped on it, and will point you towards the stroller pick-up area -- you'll go under the railroad station, turn left to go down that hallway, and near the end of that hallway, on the left, will be the desk for stroller pick-ups.

Show them your rental pass. They will give you a large card on which you can write your last name (or like we do, we let the kids choose a Disney character name). You'll then take a few more steps forward and pick up your stroller. Once you get your stroller, place the card in the clear plastic card holder. You will also see a large mesh bag on the back of the stroller, which will hold some items.

[Y'know, as I think of it, I'm wondering if the place you pay for the strollers hasn't also moved to that desk at the end of the hallway under the train station. Hopefully, someone else will know. But regardless of exact location, I know I have the process correct.]

When you are done with the stroller, you shoudl return it to the same spot where you picked it up. However, to be honest, you can just leave it anywhere. I'm NOT recommending that, AT ALL, but I'm just trying to illustrate that there's no system you must follow in order to return the stroller. I mean, it's not nice to the young CMs who have to walk all over and retrieve abandoned strollers, but again, I'm just trying to illustrate the LACK of a set system. I can't quite fathom waiting in a long line to return a rental stroller.

If you aren't leaving MK late at night, you can even try to "give" the stroller to another family who's just walking in.

goofiecrazy
03-17-2007, 04:27 PM
If u can swing bringing ur own strollers then i would do it. The kids will be more comfy in their own then sitting in those hard plastic ones that dont recline and have little pockets on the back the will hold a cup not much more.We have done both and my kids liked their own better.

tyandskyesmom
03-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Our kids love (and always have loved) renting them. and now, with Skye being so much younger than Ty (5 1/2 years) she has loved having him in the stroller with her the couple of times we have gotten a double. And yes, the rental place is now under the train station which is also where you pick them up now. The rentals have plenty of room for your stuff and the handle is at the right height for those of us that are taller than an umbrella stroller and we find the navigate around, up curbs, down curbs much better than our own. We also are not so concerned when it starts raining, or something is spilled or about normal wear and tear on the rental as much as we are on our own.

If they are only staying for the day, there would be no doubt in my mind about renting...it is simple and painless.

104 more days!

magicman
03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
Keep your receipt (if you are park hopping) and you can get another stroller the same day at another park for free.

I particularly think renting a stroller is worth it at EPCOT.

My final tip if you rent a stroller is to tie something to your stroller handle like a scarf or balloon to quickly i.d. it (all rentals look the same & CMs move/arrange strollers to conserve space).

Lynn J Mc
03-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Get the multi-day pass. It doesn't save much money but it saves time. Also - the first year we went my niece hated riding in her own stroller. The next year she wouldn't get out of the rented stroller, Disney magic I guess. We have always rented since then.

figment
03-20-2007, 09:46 AM
how much are stroller rentals?

day vs. length of stay?

also... is there a weight limit for the strollers?

thanks.

CleveRocks
03-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Just so you know, they don't have "length of stay" rentals, they have "multi-day" rentals. No, I'm not being nit-picky:cool:, it's an important distinction.

The first time you rent, you tell them how many days you will want a stroller. It doesn't have to match the number of days you're staying, or the number of days of park tickets you have. The CMs at the stroller rental places don't know how long you'll be at WDW, and they don't care.

What I mean is, let's say you're staying Sunday through Saturday, 7 days, but only plan 4 days in the parks. Then you will only pay for 4 days of stroller rental, not 7.

Anyway ....

Singles are $10/day, doubles are $18/day. With the multi-day rentals, you pay in advance but you get a $2/day discount off the above prices. The other great advantage to multi-day is you only have to wait in the "pay" line the very first time, when you pre-pay for all your days. During subsequent rentals, you just go directly to the pick-up line. The pay line can often be quite long, while the pick-up line usually isn't even a line, it's instant pick-up.

Sorry, I have no idea about weight limits. I can tell you that we had our 6 year old and 4 year old in a double, and combined they were probably about 75 pounds.

LarryBoy
03-21-2007, 11:33 AM
After going through the turnstiles, go forward and towards the right. You'll see the stroller rental store. Wait in line, tell them you need a double for one day. You will be charged $18 + tax. They will give you a rental pass with that day's date stamped on it, and will point you towards the stroller pick-up area -- you'll go under the railroad station, turn left to go down that hallway, and near the end of that hallway, on the left, will be the desk for stroller pick-ups.
[Y'know, as I think of it, I'm wondering if the place you pay for the strollers hasn't also moved to that desk at the end of the hallway under the train station. Hopefully, someone else will know. But regardless of exact location, I know I have the process correct.]

The stroller rental is now located under the train station. After you go through the turnstiles enter the tunnel on the right, and stroller rental will be on the left. If you are renting for just one day you can usually pay for one outside the MK and then go straight to pick up.