PDA

View Full Version : Share your Best Disney Secret!

disneydawniebeth
03-16-2007, 09:16 AM
I thought it might be fun to share our best Disney Secrets!

Maybe a tip for saving money once in the park, or maybe your favorite hidden spot- or any tip you would like to share with the group

Here is mine- I did not know until the last couple of times at Disney that the Fastpasses don't expire! SO now if I don't use them, I give them to someone that is waiting in line! Just a little pixie dust for their day!

I hope you will all share some fun Disney Secrets!:thumbsup:

disneymom15
03-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I learned my secret from someone on this site. To save money at counter service, ask for a cup of ice water instead of paying $2 for bottled water.

disneydawniebeth
03-16-2007, 10:35 AM
That is a great tip. I have heard that, and someone took it one step farther and said to pour your water into a water bottle if you don't like the taste of orlando water and add one of those crystal light to go flavorings!

Thanks for the post

disneycouple2004
03-16-2007, 10:37 AM
I don't consider this a big secret, however it does save alot of money !!
Each year we ship all of our groceries, gifts, christmas tree, lights, decorations , and some clothing, such as coats etc. and even canned drinks to the resort before we fly out. We call the front desk when we arrive and they deliver it all right to our room. Then we do the same thing on the return trip, we also ship home all the souviners from the parks etc. (Note : be sure to ship from the resort your staying at not from the parks !!) and if you have an account with UPS like we do it will save you even more $$$$..and one more thing..this really takes a huge load off what you take on the plane and drag through the airport, and don't forget you can track your packages 24-7 and know exactly where they are and who signed for them ! !
:thumbsup:

pogo
03-16-2007, 11:40 AM
My best secret is...... my favorite place to relax the very first thing in the morning at MGM is the Writers Spot. They have the best coffee and wonderful Blueberry Muffins. It's a good way to start your day. :thumbsup:

Try it and enjoy ! :D

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
03-16-2007, 11:41 AM
This is just a little tip, but I thought I would post it anyway.............If you go to the right on Space Mountain it's a more thrilling ride.

Figgyluv03
03-16-2007, 12:12 PM
I love sitting in the nook where the wishing well is and relax and read. it's such a quiet little spot to get away from the crowds.

disneydawniebeth
03-16-2007, 01:44 PM
I love it! These are great! I am sure this thread could give us ideas to get out of our normal routine!

I wanted to share that I love the english garden outside the toystore in United Kingdom! We sit there and just take it all in.

dolphinmickey9170
03-16-2007, 01:46 PM
I love sitting in the nook where the wishing well is and relax and read. it's such a quiet little spot to get away from the crowds.
Where is the wishing well?

lindique
03-16-2007, 01:57 PM

On the right ramp facing the castle.

kadesha
03-16-2007, 03:38 PM
this is another water tip if you have small kids. We got some kool-aid singles at the grocery store and brought them with us. My kids are guzzlers, we would have went broke buying them drinks in the park every 30 minutes!! Anyway, we'd either grab ice water, or water from a water fountain and put it in their sippy cups and just add the Kool-Aid single. The package says use a whole pack per cup, but I just used half and they didn't notice!

Also, my kids are potty-trained, but still young. Many people have said to put diapers on your kids in case then need to "go" during a ride or in line, but my kids would not wear diapers! I bought the Little Swimmers with the disney characters on them. They didn't seem to mind those at all. They aren't very absorbant, but will hold an accident if they have one! ;)

JMTStone
03-16-2007, 05:52 PM
I buy the spray on sunscreen. The aerosol (sp?) - NOT the kind that hurts the OZONE. I don't have to fight to re-apply when the kids are running around like little maniacs! Its like trying to herd cats.:cat:

Baby wipes in a zip-baggie. Perfect for sticky fingers or ice-cream faces.:bar:

Clorox wipes in a single pack - my DD5 has not mastered "hovering" and I don't like to leave a drippy toilet seat!:eek:

Always go left when entering a fork in the road. The road less traveled... it took us a few trips to FINALY make it to Adventureland!

Don't wait in line to meet Mickey at MK. Other parks' lines are much shorter.

If its your child's first time on a roller-coaster (Goofy usually), tell a CM and they'll give them a special card.

huzzah4
03-16-2007, 06:03 PM
One tip we picked up on pretty early is to avoid whichever park has the morning EMH, at least for the morning. All of the offsite guests spread amongst the 4 parks as usual, but it seems all of the onsite guests flock to that one park, making it much busier than usual. True, we miss the morning EMH, but the extra 1 hour is not enough to really do very much, and I am more pleasant with that extra hour of sleep anyway.

Jared
03-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Take advantage of the boats in World Showcase. So many times boats are waiting at the dock, but people still choose to walk all the way around the lagoon. It's a long walk from Future World to Japan, especially if you are late for a meal.

pook@wdw
03-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Personal Experience Tips:
1. avoid park w/EMH
2. "British Invasion" concert in UK @ Epcot
3. Take-out chicken from Trails End Buffet
4. Fave Quiet Spot-dock @ WL @ sunrise
5. Fave time @ Epcot-during Food/Wine
festival
6. FYI-look for "key under mat" @ entrance to
Muppetvision (to left-under sign)
7. Fave Snack-roasted sweet pecans-cart
outside "The Land" (must be hot)

I could go on and on but there simlply isn't enough space!!!:D

Maleficent's Dad
03-16-2007, 09:01 PM
I could tell you, but then I'd have to...
:spy: :spy: :spy:

Mikey Piano 23
03-16-2007, 09:19 PM
1. I always wear cargo shorts. I keep a water bottle in there and then just fill it up. Saves me 2.50 every time I fill it up.
2. My girlfriend and I try to eat at weird times lunch at 3, dinner really late, etc. We have found that this avoids some time while waiting on line for food.
3. Not really a tip but we always bring little things with us for breakfast like granola bars or powerbars this way we also save some money on breakfast and we can get a nicer dinner.
4. I use a digital camera and I usually take about 300 shots per trip. In the Florida sun your hands could get pretty sweaty. I bring a dry washcloth and keep it in my pocket. I wipe off my hand before each shot so I don't get sweat all over my expensive digital camera.

ENJOY

DisneyNeckCoolers
03-16-2007, 10:44 PM
To beat the heat and humidity, we wear neck coolers--they really work!

KAJUNKING
03-16-2007, 10:47 PM
One tip we picked up on pretty early is to avoid whichever park has the morning EMH, at least for the morning. All of the offsite guests spread amongst the 4 parks as usual, but it seems all of the onsite guests flock to that one park, making it much busier than usual. True, we miss the morning EMH, but the extra 1 hour is not enough to really do very much, and I am more pleasant with that extra hour of sleep anyway.

ive heard this before but most people say avoid the park with the eavning emh :confused:

jefmblrd
03-17-2007, 09:04 AM
We take advantage of our town car service's option to stop at a grocery store on our way to WDW from the airport. This way we can stock up on the food and drinks we want to have in our room during our stay. You can always ship items down beforehand, as a previous poster said, or use a grocery delivery service, but we've been doing this for years, and it's worked well for us.

Darin M
03-17-2007, 09:21 AM
Go to a cheap discount store near your hotel, if available, and get yourself .99 cent ponchos. My girlfriend and I did this and we were safe when we got caught in a surprise Sun Shower.
The Disney ponchos cost one arm and half a leg.

wdw_bound
03-17-2007, 10:09 AM
We go to the SuperTarget nearby on the day of our arrival to stock up on diapers, water, etc. They also have a really nice souvenier section, so we let DD8 shop in there for a few minutes. It gives her the opportunity to pick up a special something, but also has turned her into a smart shopper - when she sees something similar at the parks, she'll comment on how much cheaper it was at Target. Also at Target, we bought one of those battery operated misting fans - wonderful in the early September heat, and less than half the price of the ones in the parks!

As for a park-related tip, we do take advantage of the am emh. My kids are still early risers, so it's not a hardship to get to the park just before emh starts. At MK, for example, we've ridden all the Fantasyland rides at least once and gone back for seconds on some favorites (Dumbo, Peter Pan) before the park officially opened. Then we'll have an early lunch, again to beat the crowd, and go back to the resort midday for a break.

Jerry2
03-17-2007, 10:54 AM
I buy the spray on sunscreen. The aerosol (sp?) - NOT the kind that hurts the OZONE.

Spray on sunscreen is the greatest thing! Not only for kids that hate to put cream on, but also for baldies like me. I have some hair on top of my head so if I put lotion on it gets slicked down and I look like the wacky professor. The aerosol sunscreen penetrates my thin coif and protects me without having to wear a hat. The sunscreen I use kinda smells like hairspray and is a little sticky for about 15 minutes but after a little while you don’t know you have it on.

1. I always wear cargo shorts.

My cargo shorts act as a camera bag, wallet, water bottle holder, shopping bag, map holder, you name it! They certainly help keep your hands free.

Go to a cheap discount store near your hotel, if available, and get yourself .99 cent ponchos.

I always buy ponchos at a discount store. As Darin said you can usually find them for a buck. The last time I bought ponchos in the park was about 5 years ago and I think I paid $7 a piece. I usually try to buy odd colored ponchos so I can spot my family. From behind everyone looks the same in the same color ponchos sold at the parks.

I also buy cheap spray bottles (the ones with the fan attached). I usually pay $6 or $7 on the outside. I think they are about $18 in the parks.

AliceinDisney
03-17-2007, 12:23 PM
I found this to be a valuable piece of advice. Get up pre crack of dawn. My mom hated me for doing this, go to the park when it opens at nine AM, and go to Fantasyland first! No one walks straigt up to Fantasyland first, they go right or left to Adventureland. I walked on all the rides, and didnt have to wait in any line. I also was like third in line to see Ariel, and this was in April when its busy!

thejens
03-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Where do you get neck coolers? That sounds like a great idea. I've only been once, so I don't know if I have any really great tip, but one thing I did was to bring my own stroller and then bring a waterproof zipable tote bag and put the entire parties stuff (camera, wipes, tylenol, souvenirs, drinks etc. etc.) in the bag. That way every time you have to be inspected or need to bring your stuff into an attraction it is just one thing to grab and go, not everyone with there various items. Another tip, there are many, many places to view the animals at AKL so if you want to save money (and especially if you don't spend much time in your room) the Savannah rooms are not necessary.

Sylvia
03-17-2007, 03:29 PM
We have too many to list, but here are a few favorites:

My number one favorite is probably the best thing I've ever done - I bought a digital camera and use a large-capacity photo card. If I see a once-in-a-lifetime photo op, I can snap several photos and usually wind up with at least one great photo.

MK -

1. We always take advantage of early magic hours - it's the best time to go on Dumbo without a long line and to spend some time in Fantasyland without huge crowds.

2. After the MK officially opens, we head back to Main Street for a quick breakfast from the Bakery. Our favorite seating area is at the end of Main Street down by the water. Although this is now a designated smoking area, we can always find a table by the water to eat breakfast, enjoy the music, and the view of the Castle.

EPCOT -

1. At least once during every visit, we have a meal at the Electric Umbrella. We always sit outside and enjoy the fountain "performances".

2. Another favorite - eating Fish and Chips in the park in the UK while enjoying a performance of the British Invasion.

3. After IllumiNations, leisurely walking from World Showcase to Future World and the exit. The sights and sounds of EPCOT at night are very beautiful.

Disney/MGM -

1. Sitting outside at the Commissary having an early breakfast and planning the day.

2. Sitting on a bench along Sunset Boulevard across from a speaker and listening to the Big Band music. This was one of my Mother's favorites. We always had to wait until she heard her favorite song (Sing Sing Sing). My Mother passed away 5 years ago, but I still carry on the tradition.

AK -

1. Taking advantage of evening magic hours. There are some amazing animal sounds and music that seem to be much more noticeable after dark.

2. Having a treat in Harambe and sitting at a table in the courtyard area.

goofiecrazy
03-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Ialways bring my own water bottle that i have my AK water bottle holder on it to carry around.I got the water bottle from Wal-Mart one year and its really big and long enough that we arent trying to fill it up every few mins.Plus the top of it is big enough to drop the ice into that we get from the vendors.Saves us $$.

DisneyNeckCoolers
03-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Where do you get neck coolers?

You can google "neck coolers" or "Disney neck coolers" if you want Disney-themed neck coolers. You'll find plenty of sites selling them. :mickey:

LoriMistress
03-18-2007, 04:52 AM
Bring your ponchos instead of buying them in the parks. Also, bring bottle water--this will save you $2-3 per person. And use FP, FP, FP!!!

disneydawniebeth
03-18-2007, 10:52 AM
These are really great! I know a lot of people are benefiting from this thread, as it has been read several times!

Thanks to all and keep them coming!

I just thought of another one I have-

If you are going into the world showcase right as it opens- go left Start in Mexico! Most people start on the Right. Less crowded in the beginning!

allie_to_you
03-18-2007, 03:03 PM
My tip is to get a Camel-back. These are kinda expensive, but great! Each morning at your hotel/resort, you can fill it up with ice and water and it stays cold all day and lasts quite a while. It also has some storage space in the backpack for extra stuff you need to carry!

LudwigVonDrake
03-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Another water tip:

Fill up your ice bucket with ice before you go to sleep....when you wake up you will have FILTERED water to drink. It seems they filter the water used in ice cubes so once they melt...FRESH WATER :mickey:

pogo
03-18-2007, 05:13 PM
I just thought of another one.:thumbsup:

We always use backpacks (day packs) as our carry on luggage. They are very easy to wear and they keep your hands free to carry other things.:secret:

We also use one of them if we go to one of the parks for all day. Great for carrying cameras, snacks, light jackets, extra shirts in case you get soaked, water bottles, etc. We put it in a locker and stop back when we need something.:D

Jenemmy
03-18-2007, 06:07 PM
I love it! These are great! I am sure this thread could give us ideas to get out of our normal routine!

I wanted to share that I love the english garden outside the toystore in United Kingdom! We sit there and just take it all in.

We just stumbled upon that rose garden on our last trip. We went back there and it was EMPTY -- we sat down with our drinks to cool off and let our little one play a bit and then someone who worked at the Toy Store motioned us over and we found Pooh, Eeyore, Alice and Mary Poppins inside :mickey:

LoriMistress
03-18-2007, 06:26 PM
One tip I must add: The only attraction/ride that CM will not take an expired FP is at Soarin'. Because of this new attraction being so popular, they are the only attraction that is strict w/ this policy.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Bring different sizes of resealable plastic bags. You can use them to put stuff in when it rains, or when you go on Spash Mtn or Kali River. You can also use them to put wet clothes in if you go to the water parks.

mudpuppysmom
03-18-2007, 11:29 PM

On the right ramp facing the castle.

I guess since I take the tip to go left THAT is why I have never found the wishing well!!!

Next trip I know what we are going to do before we leave MK on our way to the airport!!!! Our "three wishes" will be at the wishing well!!:D :D :D

magicman
03-19-2007, 10:59 AM
(1) GET TO THE PARKS EARLY.

(2) At MK opening, go straight to Fantasy Land & ask to "Wake Up Tink"; then ride all of the Fantasy Land rides before the crowds make it around.

(3) Always ask if anyone is sitting up front with the driver on the monorail. If you ask enough, the day will come when you get to ride with the driver.

(4) Build a robot at EPCOT Innoventions (it's free & it's a blast).

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
03-19-2007, 12:13 PM
1.) Have a FastPass runner! DH is our designated FP fetcher, as soon as we go thru the turnstiles, we all hand him our tix and off he goes. For instance, we ask the girls what do you want Daddy to get you tickets (FPs) for, they say Splash. He says meet you at Pirates and runs ahead. By the time we stroll to Pirates he is there with the first set of FPs. As soon as we are eligible for new ones he is after them. There is really no reason for the whole party to get in line for FPs, it just adds to the crowds there.

2.)We always go to the grocery store (usually Publix) on our first day. It saves us considerable money over buying everything we need on WDW property. They even have the plastic beer bottles so you can take them to the pool if you want.

3.) We usually have to do laundry, so I pack an empty water/Coke bottle that I fill with my powdered detergent and put it in my toiletries bag.

4.) I have organized the girls clothes into outfits (shirt, shorts, socks, underwear, hairbow, everything) and packed each outfit into a larger ziploc bag. That way when you arrive you can throw those into a drawer without fear of what was in the drawer before, and then if Daddy or Mam (my mother) needs to dress them while I am in the shower, no problem, everything is together. You also have lots of extra ziploc bags if you need them for other things.

5.) We have gone in July for several years and like to keep cold drinks when we are in the park. We freeze several bottles of water, purchased during our grocery stop, and carry several into the parks. They gradually thaw and stay cold. They also keep other things in our bag cold like number 6...

6.) We bring a ziploc (see number 4) full of ice from the hotel ice machine and some washcloths from the room. It is really refreshing to wipe your forehead with a supercold washcloth after being out in the 90 degree heat. My dad will put one under his safari hat.

7.) We have the neck coolers as well and they work. One trick is to twist them a little when they are starting to warm up a bit. The other side will feel cold. We also will stick them into the bag o'ice to cool off too.

8.) My girls like the Misty mates instead of the spray fans. We had an incident once when my oldest got her ponytail caught in the fans blade. It caused her to have a few strands cut off and burned up the fan's motor ;) the Misty mates give off an extra fine mist that cools nicely.

9.) If you have children who just have to meet the characters, go to Toontown just before it opens (usually 10am) you can either walk to the entrance from Tomorrowland/Fantasyland or ride the train over from Frontierland. The characters come out to help drop the rope to open Toontown and Goofy usually rides the first ride of the Barnstormer. My girls got to walk through Toontown holding Plutos hand. Then when you get to the character greeting areas there is almost no line.

10.) We like to go to the WDW outlet at Orlando Premium outlets it is called Character Premiere. It is pretty close to the Publix (see number 2). We have had good luck with items here. We've seen items there with a discount that were currently in the parks/resorts. It can be hit and miss though. There was a great hooded sweatshirt with Mickey on it for $15 but they were all Mens XL and too big for me.

I'll come back with some more.

WVParkfan
03-19-2007, 12:52 PM
J.C. that was an awesome list.

Here are a few suggestions from us:

1) At MGM, stop at the 50's Prime Time Lounge (next door to the restaurant) for a cold drink and an order of 'smores! They are unbelievable.

2) At the AK, if you've never taken the time to walk all of the trails around the Tree of Life, do so! There are live animals, beautiful wood carvings, and a peaceful atmosphere. I only wish we had discovered this area on an earlier trip.

3) It you have the time, and if you haven't done so before, take the Friendship boat to/from MGM and Epcot. It is a wonderful, free boat trip.

4) Take the advice of long-time posters on this board. Most recommend a break in the afternoon (any time of year, but especially when it is hot). We tried this two years ago in July, and now it is part of EVERY trip to WDW. One park in the morning, relaxing back at our room for the afternoon, and another park in the evening. Believe it or not, you will get to do MORE by adjusting your hours like this.

mom*3
03-19-2007, 05:53 PM
It is hard to find a cheap kid's poncho. Just use any plastic bag that will fit them and cut a neck and 2 arm holes. We have some cute pictures of my 2yr old DD in her upside down Bed, Bath & Beyond poncho.
Another tip to save money is order in pizza from outside Disney. (I think we used Domino's). In 2005 our group of 15 saved a lot
doing this. Plus we got our favorites. We had a feast at our hotel, stored the leftovers in the fridge (we were at WL) and reheated leftovers downstairs at the cafe microwave later for another meal. If I recall, my dad met them at the hotel entrance so they wouldn't have to come up.

disneydawniebeth
03-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Someone posted that you could google the neck coolers and I found a pattern and directions on line and will be making ours for the price of 1! Thanks for the tip- I am excited!

Couple more tips we have:

#1 If you are using a back pack to carry your water bottles in, Take ziploc bags to store it in- Just in case. Friends of ours ruined a camera because condensation from the water bottle was so bad that it made their backpack feel like the bottle broke open in their pack.

#2 Take Dave's advice (the guy from last years planning video) Use the benches. You have to take time to just soak in the magic kingdom!

CU Tiger
03-19-2007, 08:24 PM
We usually take in four or five sealed water bottles with us. To make sure they are cold, freeze them the night before. They slowly melt through the day in the Florida sun and you have cold drinking water for the day. :mickey:

tomorrowschild
03-20-2007, 11:08 AM
For those of us that have been to DW a few times-
watch Wishes from infront of Pooh's Thoughtful spot- it is amazing- the fireworks are huge.

Of course if it is your first time seeing Wishes watch it from infront of the castel.:mickey:

squijee
03-20-2007, 11:51 AM
the best place is the boardwalk bakery for breakfast....very relaxing and very good...on another note where exactly is the outlet with the wdw premium store...we come in on 92 (irlo bronson)...is it in that area:confused:

squijee
03-20-2007, 01:02 PM
i think i may have gotten off track with bw bakery...in the parks...definitely off kilter at epcot....

MissT
03-21-2007, 12:50 AM
At MK, we eat a late lunch at Crystal Palace v/s dinner. It is a little less expensive, still has great food, is less busy, and it saves money on all the temptations of park snacks that would cost us more than the buffet alone. Ultimately it also saves us time because we are not stopping for multiple snacks or counter service food because we never all want the same thing. The buffet at CP saves that hassle too. We also tell the kids to 'tank up' on the included drinks. :) :thumbsup:

angedeaile
03-21-2007, 01:00 AM
The only tip I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is one that saved us alot of time last year.

We had a nifty bag we would bring to the parks. I made it quite easily. I got some windbreaker material that was excellent when it came to keeping moisture out. I made it into a sack, took some colorful wide band elastic and made two shoulder straps, so you could wear it like a book bag.

Anywho, what we would do is fold this up, since it was pretty thin, and stick them in my DBF's cargo pant pocket. We hardly brought anything bulky that couldn't be carried in our pockets, but we often ended up leaving the parks with stuff...like suvies or just got tired of carrying our water bottles.

It saved us the time of going through bag checks, but having a bag if we needed it.

I also brought a carabiner. If my book bag got too filled, I would just hook our suvie bags onto my DBF's belt loop with the use of a carabiner. It helped keep our hands free for things like funnel cake :)

Just had to be careful of not clipping a heavy bag onto him :blush:

WDWFREAK101
03-21-2007, 08:11 AM
I don't know if someone already said this but i have a secret for the MK.

1. The front of the Monorail (A.K.A The Nose) actually allows people to go in the front. Only 4 people at a time. Whenever i go to MK i always do this. It is an amazing view! It is surprising that no one knows about this secret.

LibertyTreeGal
03-21-2007, 08:24 AM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Storytime with Belle is amazing for little kids. Belle tells the B&B story and chooses kids from the audience to act in the play, both of my twins were chosen, one as Gaston and the other as Poppa -- they got the most time with Belle of all the kids. Not many boys show up so if you have a little boy this is a great one on one character interaction opportunity. Actually, not many people show up at all!

Andy (the twin on the left in my avatar) was Gaston, and he wore a muscle suit. He was supposed to say, "Marry Me Belle!" very loudly, but after saying it twice shyly, he yelled, "Marry me Gaston!" Belle's response? "Oh my..." Matt got to play Poppa and because he was her daddy he got lots of hugs and personal time, and wore an apron with tools in it. Oh, the best part is that at the end Gaston beats up on Beast (an adult chosen from the audience) -- but Andy wouldn't stop beating on the guy (good thing he was only four) so they had to literally pick him up and pull him off the guy, who was trying hard not to laugh. What a riot, the best time of the whole trip and I highly recommend it for anyone with little kids who aren't afraid to volunteer and play dress up with Belle!

disneydawniebeth
03-21-2007, 09:25 AM
That is a great story libertytree gal! I was laughing thinking about it!

I just remembered another money saving tip!

For those of you that are not opting in on the DDP, and have children that don't eat alot or are picky eaters. (we suffer from our children never eating)

Bring a jar of peanut butter with you! Most of the shops in the hotel resort area carries bread! And the condiment section has jelly! Make PB and J's for your grazers! Saves ALOT of money- plus the only PB & J's on resort property are the smuckers uncrustables-and they usually charge upwards of $3 for one! That kinda cracks me up!

Now I know some people would say that taking jelly from the condiment table is stealing-but we learned this trick from a CM. They said look at it this way- Mom and Dad are buying meals why wouldn't it be okay for us to pick up a packet of jelly! We can pick up 45 ketchups if we need too-they didn't think a pack of jelly would break the bank. :mickey:

I agree! I think I pay for the jelly when I am there whether I use it or not! I just know that this tip posted by someone else raised alot of controversy on another board. But I think it is funny! OVer a pack of Jelly!

Use this tip if you have picky eaters! It is worth it.

The Bookseller
03-21-2007, 11:51 AM
This might not be a real WDW secret but it might help.

If you take an airplane to get to WDW, pack an extra soft bag in your luggage. Most airlines offer two checked luggages with their tickets, It wouldn't be a bad idea to use them.

Generaly when I go to WDW, I pack one suitcase and one carry-on. The extra soft luggage (Generaly a Sportbag) is packed with the check in and I use it to pack my dirty clothes. This liberate space for my souvenirs I brought back from WDW and let my suitcase smell-free! :mickey:

disneydawniebeth
03-21-2007, 12:19 PM
We do that to bookseller! We were there one year without doing this-so we bought a beautiful disney duffle bad that we now pack like you said for our souvies! Now it is a tradition to take our Disney bag!

One thing that i have seen on other threads is the use of strollers. We never rented, we always take umbrella strollers.

sneezyone
03-22-2007, 03:46 PM
I bought a "photographer's vest" you know one of those light weight but sturdy vests khaki with like 20 pockets in it. as a woman, I have yet to find cargo pants that fit me...so the vest works well. and no bag check!

I love 50's prime time for lunch....

What we typically do is have a light breakfast, may be a snack :mickybar: then have a BIG lunch at 3-4 in the afternoon...that way we can just walk into any restaurant with out a reservation.

we also love the Kilimanjaro safari...so first thing, we go there, get a fp...then ride it and by the time you get off and do the jungle trek...it's time to go again! THAT was a total BONUS!

Hubby loved getting his hair cut at the barber on Main Street in MK. I have pics...and the barber was GREAT...best cut he's had in 10 years (especially since I am the one who usually cuts his hair, lol)

Crow
03-22-2007, 09:21 PM
some have been said
get a refillable mug. fill it w coffee or soda before getting on the bus to park and fill it after getting off back at resort. use the bus stop by the food courts etc. at Pop u can use them for frozen cokes.
have a granola bar for breakfast and eat lunches rather than dinner to save $$$
view Illuminations from the lounge in Japan or the balcony
use the International Gateway in Epcot to exit to Boardwalk area. walk or take the boat to MGM. use the shortcut past the pool at Boardwalk if walking from MGM-Epcot
take advantage of Club Cool
watch SPectomagic from the bridge area to Frontierland by HOP w teh castle in the background and less people to look over
use the buses. u dont need a car unless going offsite. esp w Magical Express.
eat at Trails End or Shades of Green buffet for a great value.
talk to the CMs, but dont get married...

Wolf
03-22-2007, 10:24 PM
eat at Trails End or Shades of Green buffet for a great value.
talk to the CMs, but dont get married...

K I followed you till that last part. Is that a quote I'm missing or just life lesson?

devoted93
03-22-2007, 10:59 PM
1. I always wear cargo shorts. I keep a water bottle in there and then just fill it up. Saves me 2.50 every time I fill it up.

In Epcot, I sometimes also fill the water bottle up at Ice Station Cool with whichever soda strikes my fancy.

The most useful tip I know: go there in September. Seriously, it's worth it. Imagine going on every ride you want and still being done by 2 pm. And that's when we get there at 10 am. Then we go back and do them all over again.

McLiberal8
03-23-2007, 12:01 AM
These are great!

The only great tip I picked up on when i was there a few weeks ago was Boulangerie Patisserie at France in Epcot.
I couldn't decide what i wanted for lunch, so my husband and I stopped for a glass of wine in France, and a browse in the pastry place. I saw a cheese plate I could resist, so I got it.
It was a pile of grapes, 3 huge wedges of great cheese and a perfect sized baguette for under $6 (which is cheaper than if I were to buy just one of the wedges at Whole Foods here at home!).
Filled me right up 'til dinner time!

DisneyMP3Maker
03-23-2007, 12:31 AM
January, especially the first part is a great time to go as well. My wife and I went last year from the 8-14 and there was hardly anyone at the parks since school had started up for most people already. Plus, and this is the best part, all of the Christmas decorations were still up for a few days. So we got to see all the amazing Disney Christmas magic without the high cost and large crowds.
The wait times were fantastic, most of the time we were the only ones in a car/boat/etc.
Another tip is since we spend most of our time at the parks and away from the resort, but still want the Disney resort experience, we just stay at the value resorts. Saves lots of money for the trip, but still have all the magic of Disney.
You can get preferential treatment on most attractions, just ask the CMs. They usually will oblige. Especally in off peak seasons.

4ubie1
03-23-2007, 09:48 AM
The best secrets I have heard have been already stated:
- go to a grocery store and buy food for snacks and light dinners
- have a heavier lunch than dinner, prices tend to be cheaper at lunch and you get the same food
- eat at odd times in the day
- if you are staying on-site, take midday breaks
- go to the left in lines
- bring your own water bottles

Keep the tips coming..i need all i can get:D

BellewanaB
03-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Ahhh...the continuing hydration-without-going-poor challenge. Another option, they make wate bottles with built in filters if you don't want to be hiding the chloring taste with sugar/sweetners. One place you can buy is http://www.purewater2go.com/bottles.html

Other "secrets" include...
-Talking with the Cast member at the monorail and getting to ride up front with the driver
-Waiting until everyone has already gone onto the Studios Backlot Tour and then standing in the front of the line with 4 people (more likely to be chosen for show)
-Jumping and screaming and flailing at the Indiana Jones stunt show will get you chosen (four times and counting)
-I've been told the turkey legs are emu bone wrapped in a turkey/ham mixture (is this true!?!)
-Beverly is the BEST tasting soda at Station Cool :sick:
-When waiting in the cue for Star Tours you'll hear an announcment for Egroeg Sucul which is actually George Lucus backwards.

snuggs30
03-23-2007, 09:57 AM
If you are driving to DW and staying in a cabin or the campground, we always go to Publix in Kissimee to get all our grocery needs! We save tons of money and the break is great to go back to the cabin and unwind while supper or lunch is cooking.

angedeaile
03-23-2007, 01:38 PM
In Epcot, I sometimes also fill the water bottle up at Ice Station Cool with whichever soda strikes my fancy.

Wow..I thought we weren't allowed to do that...I dont know why I did..but I will try that next time! It is an awesome tip.

offwego
03-23-2007, 02:34 PM
My best secret is...... my favorite place to relax the very first thing in the morning at MGM is the Writers Spot. They have the best coffee and wonderful Blueberry Muffins. It's a good way to start your day. :thumbsup:

Try it and enjoy ! :D

I agree!

Also (not a $$ tip but anyway)

At MGM near the Indiana Jones show there is a well. Above the well there is a rope.

Have your children (or you) pull on it.

More than once!

Oh and a grocery stop is a must for us! We are also big fans of the locker rental system for our larger items such as coats etc this allows us to have less stuff with us on the rides but we can stay longer without having to go back as we have more water, clothes film etc in the locker.

Kristi Kay
03-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Bring a backpack into the park....bring snacks!!!! You can be out a LOT of dinero buying those dang snacks! When I have kiddos with me, I buy the princess fruit chews at wal-mart, so they feel like their eating disney food....

SBETigg
03-23-2007, 08:38 PM
--I've been told the turkey legs are emu bone wrapped in a turkey/ham mixture (is this true!?!)

This is not true. They are actually turkey, smoked and injected with a saline mixture which gives them a slightly hammy taste. (from the Food Network special on WDW).

Also, Fastpasses do expire, at every attraction. Many times the CMs will let you through after your expiration times, but they have to keep ride traffic down and sometimes they will not let you on after expiration. It isn't something to count on.

MrPeetrie
03-24-2007, 01:11 AM
We always purchase an annual pass then schedule the second trip on the pass the following year just short of the pass' expiration. This way, it feels like we get one free trip per pass.

And the passes offer great savings on their own, so I always try to convince others to purchase one.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

devoted93
03-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Wow..I thought we weren't allowed to do that...I dont know why I did..but I will try that next time! It is an awesome tip. I can't say for sure that we're allowed, but I can say that I've never been asked not to. I still don't know why they're not willing to sell some of those, I know I'd buy some.

Mickey 101
03-26-2007, 03:54 PM
We bring extra shoes to change into partway through the day to give our feet relief. It makes a huge difference. We use lockers to store the extra pairs. If you hop parks, remember that you've already paid for locker rental at the first park, so all you have to do is show them your receipt!

We bring snacks from home in a suitcase for breakfast in the room most mornings, as well as make a stop at Walgreens or somewhere for bottled waters, milk, OJ, etc on the way to WDW from the airport. By the end of the week, we have a completely empty suitcase to bring home souvenirs. We also pack a soft empty duffle in case the spending gets out of control. :mickey:

WDWFREAK101
03-27-2007, 11:43 AM
I have another that probably everyone knows

DON'T STAND ON THE FINAL DROP IN SPLASH MOUNTAIN! :funny: We finally got my little sister to go on it (and she probably won't go on it again :laughing:) Anyway, we got on and everyone had thier hands up but my dad held up my little brother so he could get in the picture. :haha: We got out and looked at our picture. But the problem was that we didn't have a picture because my dad held my brother up. :mickey:

JMTStone
03-27-2007, 09:40 PM
We always purchase an annual pass then schedule the second trip on the pass the following year just short of the pass' expiration. This way, it feels like we get one free trip per pass.

And the passes offer great savings on their own, so I always try to convince others to purchase one.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't tell my husband. He thinks I'm a genius! :secret:

battle beast
03-27-2007, 11:26 PM
I have an EXIT sign from Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Here's how: IT was broken already, and I bumpedinto it, making it fall. It was close to the ground,a nd the faceplate fell off. So I took it, hid it ina bush, and picked it up on my way out of the park. I still ahve it, and It's my prize souvenier!

Kairi_7378
03-31-2007, 08:43 PM
When I planned my first trip to DW, I used Birbaum's Guide to Disney as well as the Unofficial Guide to Disney World. Both give very good touring plans for each park.

Wipes are a must with the counter service meals. We also packed a pack of water bottles in our luggage and refilled them through the day. We brought Pop Tarts and granola bars for breakfast and used the meal plan for lunch and dinner.

The Photopass people will take photos with your own camera... Nice to have pros who will take your photo for free rather than paying $12.95 for a print!!!

Makusu
03-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Any Wilderness Lodge fans out there?

Not much of a secret, but here it is. If you just want to relax and get away from the crowd, there is a little hide-away I have. There is a place with lounge chairs and a fireplace right above the entrance. A staircase next to Whispering Canyons leads up to it. It's quiet and peaceful. There is also an outside deck right outside of this little place you can go to! It overlooks the parking lot and the bus area. It's quite lovely since no one is almost ever up there! :thumbsup: :secret:

bratmaster
03-31-2007, 11:55 PM
[I]
Another water tip:

Fill up your ice bucket with ice before you go to sleep....when you wake up you will have FILTERED water to drink. It seems they filter the water used in ice cubes so once they melt...FRESH WATER :mickey:

FYI - there was i think an Oprah show aired that tested different things for bacteria, and ice from ice machines was one of the most contaminated things found! I personally would not drink it.
Another tip, along the same lines - i bring lysol wipes and as soon as we get in the hotel room i clean the doorrknobs, remote, handles, and a good portion of the bathroom. I also always ask for a seoncd pillowcase for my pillow. Somehow i feel like it is less gross if there is a good 2 layers of sheet in between my head and all the things crawling in the pillow.
(Can you tell i have OCD yet?:blush: )

KayDee
04-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Love all the secrets/tips! Not sure if this happens every time but...

When we went on the World Show Case tour in Epcot we were given a private area to watch the fireworks that night. A very nice perk of the tour.

Already mentioned but can not emphasis enough, if you can get on Safari tour in Animal Kingdom first thing do it. It is amazing what a difference there is in the animals.

disneyfan1124
04-01-2007, 09:35 AM
I have two places I like to go and sit and relax--

The fire pit at AKL-it never fails, I always fall asleep!

The Living Seas (Nemo and Friends now) go to the far right and there is a quiet corner with benches. Some girlfriends and I took a nap there once and woke up to find a family of ducks watching us! Talk about role reversal!

Want a quick meal? Fish and Chips in UK, then enjoy in the quiet of the flower garden, as previously posted.

scootch713
04-01-2007, 12:13 PM
If you have kids, walk out following the parades. This year we did this and my daughter got a spot holding the banner. We got it right around the castle and we walked the entire parade out. She waved like she was a princess and I cried my eyes out. Truly the most memorable moment of all my trips. Also, the family fun day parade is a great memory too.... just fun to be part of the parade.

Rent a stroller for kids 7-8 or younger. Even if they dont' sit it all the time, just for them to get a bit of a break helps!!

Buy autograph books before you arrive, my kids can't wait to start using them... plus who wants to go into the stores before hitting the park.

DizRunner
04-01-2007, 04:03 PM
A nice break from the crowds is the path along the outer edge of the MK between Toontown and Tomorrowland. I took that route in the evening in January. I was practically all alone because not a lot of people know about it.

Almost everyone's familiar with the route going from Fantasyland to Liberty Square. You walk through small short tunnels. If you look up you'll see windows. Inside those windows are actually tables where you can eat at the Columbia Harbour House. Sit on one side and view Fantasyland. Sit on the other and watch Liberty Square.

princessjojo
04-03-2007, 07:02 PM
4.) I have organized the girls clothes into outfits (shirt, shorts, socks, underwear, hairbow, everything) and packed each outfit into a larger ziploc bag. That way when you arrive you can throw those into a drawer without fear of what was in the drawer before, and then if Daddy or Mam (my mother) needs to dress them while I am in the shower, no problem, everything is together. You also have lots of extra ziploc bags if you need them for other things.

I do this all the time for my boys. Especially when they go away to camp. It makes getting dresses much easier and faster in the mornings and they gain a feeling of independence doing this as well.

Pop Centurion
04-03-2007, 08:10 PM
2. Sitting on a bench along Sunset Boulevard across from a speaker and listening to the Big Band music. This was one of my Mother's favorites. We always had to wait until she heard her favorite song (Sing Sing Sing). My Mother passed away 5 years ago, but I still carry on the tradition.That's a very nice story. I'm sure she's sitting right beside you in spirit.

poeticeclipse
04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Just a few of my tips that I would pass on to myself if I were a fellow Disney fanatic.

Take photos at the Kodak signs that tell you to do so.

Don't keep buying new water bottles. Take one around and keep filling it up.

Go on every ride at least once, even if you think you won't like it.

Talk to other guests. You never know what great human beings you can meet by simply talking Disney.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Main Street Exposition Hall--on the right as you walk into Magic Kingdom--has a great "cool down and rest" area in the back for tired little ones and their folks to have some "down" time.
Also--bring along a small "glass" slipper from your local party store, and toss it on the castle steps so you can guide your little princess along to discover it....A little magic.:wave:

BelleandtheBeast
04-03-2007, 11:28 PM
The best restaurants are at the resorts. They cater to locals more. Yummy.:beer:

Sylvia
04-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Quote: Originally Posted by Sylvia
2. Sitting on a bench along Sunset Boulevard across from a speaker and listening to the Big Band music. This was one of my Mother's favorites. We always had to wait until she heard her favorite song (Sing Sing Sing). My Mother passed away 5 years ago, but I still carry on the tradition.

That's a very nice story. I'm sure she's sitting right beside you in spirit.

Thanks. Yes, I really think she is right beside me.:magic:

alicia524luvstw
04-10-2007, 05:19 AM
I keep the time, place and ressie #'s of my adrs in my date book on my cell phone.

Ducklover
04-10-2007, 02:17 PM
:number1:
I hope I don't repeat any:
1. If you are first ride Dumbo-you ride with Mickey, first to ride Barnstormer rides with Goofy or Max.
2. Free Souvenir-We used to collect all the stickers we could in the parks-the kids loved them! If you kids are in any shows(usually) they get a certificate.
3. Order a double cheeseburger and buy an extra bun. Sometimes if the adults are not too hungry-we order a kids meal at the counter service.
:D