PDA

View Full Version : Epcot Anniversary

disneydawniebeth
03-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Does anyone know why Disney chose not to do anything for Epcot's Anniversary? :thedolls:

Just curious

Figment!
03-14-2007, 11:34 AM
It's not that they won't do anything, but the Vice President of the park did state there were no plans for a large celebration.

He did not rule out the possibility of event merchandise, but that may be the extent of it.

mcjaco
03-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Because they're morons.

OR, they couldn't figure out how to turn Spaceship Earth into a a cake.

GrumpyFan
03-14-2007, 12:01 PM
I heard in an interview (somewhere), they said they felt the whole birthday celebration promotions have been exhausted, and that it's becoming confusing to people. First there was the 100th birthday celebration of Walt, then the 50th of Disneyland, and they felt like having a 25th for Epcot was just too much. They also said they were considering not having any major (18-month) birthday celebrations until WDW/MK's 50th.

Personally, I would like to see an Epcot birthday celebration, and perhaps they will in some way. However, I have to agree that the 18 month long birthday celebrations has been used too much in the last few years.

CraniumCommando
03-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Because they're morons.

:funny:

JPL
03-14-2007, 12:47 PM
When marketing the parks Disney spends money based on the amount of people they feel it will attract to the parks. The timing here is really bad the anniversay falls right at the end of YOAMD. I don't thnk they want to follow a huge campaign like this with Epcot's 25th Anniversary. They seem to be moving away from park and resort specific celebrations more towards a global Disney Parks Brand marketing period. I know they are celebration DLP's 15th this year but I'm thinking the overseas parks haven't seen many of this type of celebration so it is still fresh for their consumer base.

disneydawniebeth
03-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Please don't give Disney any ideas--- I think they COULD figure out how to turn SE into a cake- and we may have just given them another idea!

:blush:

JPL
03-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Please don't give Disney any ideas--- I think they COULD figure out how to turn SE into a cake- and we may have just given them another idea!

Oh you didn't hear the latest news Disney is negotiations with Hostess to trun SE into the world's largest Snowball cake complete with real pink shredded coconut ;)

KAJUNKING
03-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Oh you didn't hear the latest news Disney is negotiations with Hostess to trun SE into the world's largest Snowball cake complete with real pink shredded coconut ;)

thats not funny! ok mabey a little bit :)

HndrdPrcnt
03-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Or maybe they could just get an agreement with Callaway and turn it in to a golf ball. That would be a lot less work for them;)

Belle619
03-14-2007, 04:03 PM
... I think they COULD figure out how to turn SE into a cake...

Exactly! They could turn it into a giant cupcake so easily - we better not jinx ourselves!

Jennverd
03-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Epcot has always been my favorite because we're both "since 1982" (I was born 10 days before Epcot opened). I've been looking forward to celebrating my 25th Birthday during Epcot's 25th Anniversary for the longest time...like Disney was throwing a big party for me :party: hehe

It may not be an official Disney party but there will most definitely be a big celebration in Epcot this fall celebrating 25 years...and you all are certainly invited! :D

mrsgaribaldi
03-27-2007, 01:46 AM

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :funny:

CaptSmee
03-27-2007, 02:03 AM
It's a shame that there's not a big celebration surrounding Epcot's 25th. Like another poster stated, they are definitely moving toward global celebrations instead of park specific, but I sure hope that at least there will be merchandise offered celebrating the event.

alpro2
03-27-2007, 06:24 AM

Exactly! They could turn it into a giant cupcake so easily - we better not jinx ourselves!
Yeah...then they could transform the wand into a giant candle.

Michigander
03-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Funny how just yesterday my husband came across the map for WDW MK with the picture of the Cake on the front from 1997. We laughed at how funny we thought it was that year. Only the front of the castle was done like the cake and the back still looked normal. Also how the tall peices would lean and bend when the wind was blowing. The best thing they could do for Epcot is take down that wand for the celebration. It so takes away from the Earth look!:thumbsup:

TIdoubleGR
03-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Yeah...then they could transform the wand into a giant candle.

Hopefully they don't forget to light it... :thedolls: :D

At least they've got some retro merchandise starting to come out. It's cool to see the original logo in the stores again.

mcjaco
03-27-2007, 10:23 AM
What I don't get is that Disney is celebrating all these trivial anniversaries. There actually marketing the 15th for DL Paris, and merchandising the DVC's 15th year. Are you kidding? A time share program gets merchandising????

Someone needs a boot up their heiny at Disney. This is moronic. :ack:

Crow
03-27-2007, 09:45 PM
:exactly: :stir: :birthday:

Because they're morons.

caryrae
03-27-2007, 10:19 PM
If they could figure out a way to lift SE up, put mirrors all over and make it spin they could turn into the worlds biggest disco ball and have music from the movie Flashdance playing all throughout the park.:dance: Can't have a party without dancing right? Then again the people riding SE may not appreciate the spinning part.:ill: :ack:

WDW1985
03-28-2007, 01:54 AM
The best thing they could do for Epcot is take down that wand for the celebration. It so takes away from the Earth look!:thumbsup:

Yes! I would be content for them to just take that stupid wand down already and let SE be as it was 25 years ago. Maybe they could have a wand implosion ceremony??? :thumbsup:

battle beast
03-28-2007, 02:07 PM
:funny:

I'm laughing at the smiley you left! That's hilarious! I'm laughing at your response to the other's joke!

Gator
03-29-2007, 01:09 AM
They can do something or nothing, just as long as they don't change or get rid of Illuminations.

TIdoubleGR
03-29-2007, 09:13 AM
I'm starting to get the feeling that even though there won't be anything "announced", that there's still plenty going on.

*Nemo & Friends
*Mexico ride
*Canada movie
*China refurb
*Norway ride refurb
*Figment meet 'n greet
*SSE postshow/new sponsorship
*New merchandice

At least Epcot is getting some love, and hopefully they'll be more of it to come before October. I'd really like them to announce a new WS pavilion or JIYI refurb, but that may just be a little too far... :cloud9:

Cinderelley
03-29-2007, 03:17 PM
I sure hope that at least there will be merchandise offered celebrating the event.

Last time we were there, they already had merchandise out for it.

mcjaco
03-29-2007, 04:37 PM
I'd really like them to announce a new WS pavilion or JIYI refurb, but that may just be a little too far... :cloud9:

I have an acquaintance that is a CM at Epcot. He said there have been rumblings of Spain joining WS in the last few months. I'm not betting any money on it, but it'd be nice to see an addition.

TIdoubleGR
03-30-2007, 10:41 AM
I have an acquaintance that is a CM at Epcot. He said there have been rumblings of Spain joining WS in the last few months. I'm not betting any money on it, but it'd be nice to see an addition.

:party: :joy: :clappy:

*pulls self together*

Yes, it would be very nice to see an addition. Any talk is better than none, so I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. If you think about it, there is room for quite a few more pavilions if Disney wanted to make them...If anything holds them back, I would imagine it would have to do with $$$/sponsorship. We'll just have to cross our fingers and wait along with the rest of the world...

:D

SpecJoe Magic
03-31-2007, 04:47 AM
Maybe they could have a wand implosion ceremony??? :thumbsup:

I would seriously consider going to WDW just to see that. That would serve as my dream for the Year of a Million Dreams. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to stay a few extra days while I'm at it. :D

WDW1985
03-31-2007, 11:27 PM
I would seriously consider going to WDW just to see that. That would serve as my dream for the Year of a Million Dreams. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to stay a few extra days while I'm at it. :D

Could you imagine, picture it now...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...now that's a dream come true! :cloud9: Please oh please let me press the detonator button!!! :thedolls:

:mickey:

Bill George
04-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Oh, I love those things! My problem with it would be that I would try to eat it..and then once again I would have the need to blame ruining my diet on a trip to WDW.

Donald A
04-01-2007, 05:10 PM
The simple answer:

$$$$$