PDA

View Full Version : Tired of getting ripped off. . .

Physcayt
03-14-2007, 09:59 AM
Where do you do your grocery shopping? I"m tired of paying $200 for $100 worth of groceries at gooding's.:mad: So I'm interested in where you have done shopping and approximately how far of a drive?

r4kids
03-14-2007, 10:18 AM
I am going to take all my dry goods and ship them to the resort. I then going to go by my sisters house and go to the grocery store near her. About 2 minutes from Sea World. I try to limit what I need to milk, oj and other fridge items. :mickey:

magicofdisney
03-14-2007, 10:19 AM
We always stay at the value resorts so our shopping is done at the Publix which is about a 10 minute drive away. We live in FL, always shop at Publix anyway, and don't really notice much of a difference in price. HTH :mickey:

Michigander
03-14-2007, 11:27 AM
There is a huge super wal-mart not 10 min from the main gates. Get a map to drive your self there or take a cab it's worth it. Their prices are even better the the publix stores believe me.:thumbsup:

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
03-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Well, why do you keep going there?

We always go to the Publix that is near the Orlando Premium Outlets and the Hilton Grand Vacations.

DisneyTeen
03-14-2007, 11:31 AM
There is a huge super wal-mart not 10 min from the main gates. Get a map to drive your self there or take a cab it's worth it. Their prices are even better the the publix stores believe me.:thumbsup:

Yup, Super Walmart is the best choice I think. When I worked down in Disney, it was the only place i would shop at because of the lower prices. I think that goodies or publix know that most of the shoppers are tourist and are willing to pay alittle extra for food/distance to hotel.

I found super walmart to be more relenably priced, as well as open 24 hours.

May524
03-14-2007, 12:38 PM
I would either go to Super Walmart or Super Target.

merlinmagic4
03-14-2007, 02:05 PM
We go to that Super Wal Mart but I'll warn you - it's HUGE and took us quite some time to find all the things we needed! Prices were really good, though. Time or money..........sometimes I don't know which one is more valuable!

DizNee143
03-14-2007, 02:07 PM
me and my family go to the publix that is like all of 10 minutes away...:mickey:

mudpuppysmom
03-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Super Wal Mart is where I go on the way to the hotel/resort, ALWAYS. The prices are good, and about what I pay here at home.

As a side note, most of the Wal Mart's I've been in are set up about the same.......there really is not that much difference in how they are set up; so unless you are not accustomed to shopping there it should not be very confusing or hard to find things.

I usually run it and get a few pieces of fruit, some crackers/cookies/granola bars, etc and then a case of water. We usually eat breakfast in our room and then we take water in our backpack for the day (to save $2.50 per bottle in the parks! Thank goodness they let you take it in with you!!).

KAT1811
03-14-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm trying Intercot's sponsor Garden Grocer this year. I was just comparing their prices to those of our local supermarket delivery service and their prices are the same. I plan on placing my order before I leave and having them ship everything right to my hotel room door. One less thing I need to worry about and a lot less to carry. You might want to check out their prices and see how they seem to you. They are right in line with what I pay normally and I don't have to schlepp them with me!!!

I am getting all of our diapers, wipes, laundry detergent, snacks, etc. from them.

Niecyboo
03-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Here I thought I was going to have such a great idea by letting them know about the Walmart, but I'm apparently not the only one!!!

Another great thing is they have a Dinsey section where we always get our autograph books. I think stopping here is my first feeling of "We're here!!'

tinkerbell04
03-14-2007, 05:48 PM
We use the Winn Dixie which is just 2-3 traffic lights down from Goodings. Coming from the Downtown Disney area, make the left instead of crossing over into the Crossroads shopping senter. The Winn Dixie is on the right hand side. There is also a liquor store inthe same center. We have used Goodings and have been much happier with the prices at the Winn Dixie. It is never crowded and not a pain to get into the parking lot. I have never used the wal-mart or the target, but I would imagine that they will be a little bit more crowded, just because they are mass merchandise. :mickey:

kathiep
03-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Has anyone else tried Garden Grocer? If their prices are good, I'm willing to pay the delivery fee to avoid wasting time in a store.

Mnchknbrat1982
03-14-2007, 07:29 PM
the one thing about garden grocer I have found is that you have to have a minimum order of $50. I wish it was less. If it was I would use them, but I don't think Alan & I could use $50 in 5 days with the DDP.

KAT1811
03-14-2007, 08:51 PM
the one thing about garden grocer I have found is that you have to have a minimum order of $50. I wish it was less. If it was I would use them, but I don't think Alan & I could use $50 in 5 days with the DDP.

With three children the minimum is never a problem for us but, I can see how it might be a bit much if you are a couple without children or just a family that doesn't snack much.

My suggestion to those who would like to try Garden Grocer :cart: and can't seem to make the minimum requirement is to forego packing some toiletries and get them from GG. Think of how much you spend before traveling on shampoo, conditioner, soap, travel razors, shaving cream, sunscreen, lotion, toothpaste, etc. By getting them down there you can kill two birds :chicken: :chicken: with one stone 1. you don't have to lug them all the way down there and 2. it helps you meet the minimum. Plus if you are there long enough and use most of it just throw away the empty bottles insteading of lugging them all the way home. Plus we always do laundry :laundry: while we are there so I am planning on buying the small bottles of detergent and fabric softener instead of buying the boxes out of the vending machines (it costs more to buy those foolish little boxes than to buy a small bottle from GG. They seem to carry extra small bottles most likely for those of us who use them for vacations.)

I also read on another post that they will deliver beer and wine if you request it in the special request section. So for those people who like to have a glass of wine before bed that is a much cheaper option.

karmah
03-22-2007, 11:31 PM
What's the street address of the WalMart that is 10 minutes away? Thanks!

jefmblrd
03-23-2007, 05:02 AM
Our Town Car service allows us a grocery stop, and we always stop at Publix. I can't tell you exactly where it is, over by Sea World I think. It has everything we need to stock up for the week.

Maleficent's Dad
03-23-2007, 09:15 AM
We're DVC members. We fly down. We usually take ME.

So we don't have a car at our disposal.

DVC's groceries have worked for us - but it's a bit of a rip-off. Contrary to the post above, Garden Grocer seems expensive to me (and I live in NY, so that's saying something!), not to mention the minimum charge.

So, here's the question:
Is it worth it to take a cab to Super Walmart or Publix for the groceries? Will I make up the difference in price? :confused: I figure it's got to be at least $30 R/T in the cab for either place! If that's the case, Garden Grocer gets my business.

(FYI - Travelling party is 2 adults and 2 kids. We eat b'fast in our rooms, have snacks and drinks there as well. We will buy beer, too. But that's the extent of it. We're staying 10 days in late August split between OKW and VWL, so we will have to deal with a resort transfer.)

Kristi Kay
03-23-2007, 09:06 PM
GOODINGS??? OMG NO! NO! NO! NO! That place is crazy expensive! Go to wal-mart or publix....they are both relativly close!!!

CleveSJM
03-25-2007, 03:20 PM
What's the street address of the WalMart that is 10 minutes away? Thanks!

Good question. Or does anyone have directions from DTD?

Thanks.

dolphinmickey9170
03-25-2007, 03:54 PM
I believe the address is 4444 west vine. We always use the super walmart. It is on 192 which is the main highway that runs by the front of WDW main enterence. Double check the address though, just look up using one of those driving directions website, I don't know if I can name it here, but It was only about 10 minutes from the world. They have all the things you would need for your hotel room, snacks, clothes, the I forgot it stuff, etc.