PDA

View Full Version : Recent Port Orleans French Quarter Experiences?

Brian
03-13-2007, 11:13 PM
We're going to be staying at Port Orleans French Quarter in April. I'd love to hear reviews (both good and bad) from anyone who's stayed there recently. How are the rooms, the resort overall, etc.? We stayed there in the past and remember it being a very nice resort, but that was many years ago. I'd like to get an idea of what to expect prior to our trip.

NotaGeek
03-14-2007, 12:44 AM
I stayed at POFQ last October and I loved it! Super cute, quiet, good food court, nice pool and the 1st stop and drop off on the bus route! :thumbsup:

I would definitely stay at the POFQ again as a 1st choice if I wasn't springing for a Deluxe property! I also loved being able to take a boat to DTD, it was a great way to end the night!

mrsgaribaldi
03-14-2007, 01:06 AM
We stayed there the beginning of Feb and loved it as usual. Great room, great grounds, you can't go wrong:thumbsup:

kakn7294
03-14-2007, 08:45 AM
We stayed in December and LOVE it here - we're going back in August. The rooms are nice although the beds are a little small as they are only doubles. It's relatively quiet and all of the buildings are close to the food court, gift shop, and pool. It was too cold to swim when we were there but the pool looks like fun with it's sea serpeant slide. Buses share with POR but pick up and drop off here first for the most part. The grounds are beautiful and the walk over to check out POR is a nice stroll.

DREAMADREAM93
03-14-2007, 08:52 AM
It isn't necessarily recently but my family and i stayed there in 2005. I dont think it has changed much which means your in luck. we absolutley adore POR.

[ Oh! &nd finding all of the hidden mickeys on the quilt is especiall fun. ]

- Jordan

72 days :]

PeterPan
03-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Truly as close to a Deluxe resort as you can get at a Moderate Resort. Fabulous place - have stayed there many, many times - as recently as this past January. The romantic atmosphere, architecture, themeing, quietness, ambience, and service is second to none. What a great, great resort. You will absolutly love it.

honeybear
03-14-2007, 02:09 PM
We were there this past August! It was a very nice place. I loved the layout and the decor of the grounds. We did not stay too far from the pool or the Food Court. The rooms were nice! The pool was very nice and a lot of fun! My nieces really loved the Serpent Slide (So did I:blush: )

castlelady36
03-14-2007, 04:37 PM
We stayed in January and also love this resort. It has not really changed much in the last few years and continues to be a very nice, quiet resort. The only update I guess would be they now have a fridge in the rooms but overall still the same.

angedeaile
03-14-2007, 08:25 PM
I think I was mostly taken aback by how scenic the resort was. The smell of the magnolia trees was wonderful and the sound of nature....just total relaxation. The pool was hardly packed and the food court was decent.

I think the only complaint I had were the CMs in the gift shop and at the desk. They didn't really look like any of them wanted to be there. There wasn't anyone rude in paticular, just looked like they would rather be somewhere else.

However, mousekeeping always flashed me a grin whenever I saw them. So, I think if you like the stress free beautiful atmosphere...go there :)

WDWFRK
03-15-2007, 12:49 PM
We were just there in January, and the resort is still in great shape! The grounds, rooms, and service were all wonderful. We absolutely LOVE this resort, and we will continue to stay there. :cloud9:

swampfox28
03-15-2007, 01:19 PM
We were there in Jan. this year and loved it!

It was MELLOW and quiet :secret: - but still lots of fun with the theming and decorations.

We loved it and hope to go back again ASAP!

-Sarah

SteveO
04-23-2007, 09:25 AM
While I will always recommend this resort to anyone who asks me where to stay on-site, I have a couple of not so good observations from my visit last week:

Mousekeeping is not up to par; when I checked in there were two light bulbs out in the room; one above the sink and another above the bed. When I told the front desk about the light bulbs being out, the CM told me "Oh, they probably did not turn the lights on as there was enough light in the room so they did not need the extra lights. Well, perhaps they should turn them on to just check it any of them need to be replaced.

After taking about three steps into the room, I "crunched" what I think was a couple of pieces of Count Chocula cereal. Just out of curiosity, I thought to check the shelf above the bench where you can put a suitcase. I ran my hand over it; it had not been dusted for quite awhile.

When I came back to my room one afternoon, after housekeeping had visited, the TV was on (it was on a Spanish language channel) which I had not left on when I left the room.

I was in building 4; took a stroll out to the little sitting area in the courtyard where there are two facing benches. There must have been 100 cigarette butts on the ground.

Even though I sound like it I am not a fussy person. Really. I am, however, saddened that the attention to detail that I always came to expect from the Disney resorts is lacking.

I still love POFQ; I will still go back. I don't believe what I experienced last week is specific to POFQ; I would guess that the other resorts are experiencing the same thing. Comments?

garymacd
04-24-2007, 07:06 PM
While I will always recommend this resort to anyone who asks me where to stay on-site, I have a couple of not so good observations from my visit last week:

Mousekeeping is not up to par; when I checked in there were two light bulbs out in the room; one above the sink and another above the bed. When I told the front desk about the light bulbs being out, the CM told me "Oh, they probably did not turn the lights on as there was enough light in the room so they did not need the extra lights. Well, perhaps they should turn them on to just check it any of them need to be replaced.

After taking about three steps into the room, I "crunched" what I think was a couple of pieces of Count Chocula cereal. Just out of curiosity, I thought to check the shelf above the bench where you can put a suitcase. I ran my hand over it; it had not been dusted for quite awhile.

When I came back to my room one afternoon, after housekeeping had visited, the TV was on (it was on a Spanish language channel) which I had not left on when I left the room.

I was in building 4; took a stroll out to the little sitting area in the courtyard where there are two facing benches. There must have been 100 cigarette butts on the ground.

Even though I sound like it I am not a fussy person. Really. I am, however, saddened that the attention to detail that I always came to expect from the Disney resorts is lacking.

I still love POFQ; I will still go back. I don't believe what I experienced last week is specific to POFQ; I would guess that the other resorts are experiencing the same thing. Comments?

I agree. I don't think one bad experience should sour you on the best resort WDW has. POFQ is our favourite resort and we will return there every chance we get.

We have never had a bad experience there...well, except for the one time our room was full of bugs!!! Our room was changed immediately and we never had a problem after that.

As a matter of fact, last year, CM's went out of their way to help us celebrate or 25th anniversary. We found cards signed by all the main characters, another signed by many members of Mousekeeping and front staff. We also had several Mardi Gras beads and doubloons in our room. Makes me wonder if they were watching some of the anniversary goings-on :blush: !

snowhyte
04-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Stayed here in February 2007 for the first time and absolutely loved it! The pool was great, love the boat to DTD, the quaint charm of this resort is fantastic. The busses were very good. We are staying at ASMu in two weeks only because of price - I wish we were staying at POFQ instead. We will definitely stay here when we go next year!:thumbsup:

JWB3
04-27-2007, 10:47 AM
We - DW & DS (14yo) stayed at POR this past Jan 20 - 26. This was our second stay at POR (previous Feb. 2005) and it was just as good as the first time! We were granted all requests (second floor, bldg. 25, non-connecting room) and thoroughly enjoyed our week there. I'd highly recommend POR: grounds, boat to DTD, generally central location to parks and just all 'round nice setting. Our room was always clean - housekeeping did a great job!:mickey:

BTW, this is my first post - hopefully it makes sense!

Thanks to everyone for all the great info throughout the forums!

sunlyon
04-27-2007, 01:54 PM
BTW, this is my first post - hopefully it makes sense!

Thanks to everyone for all the great info throughout the forums!

:welcome: to the Intercot discussion boards. I love it here!

:rocks:

WDWFRK
04-27-2007, 02:33 PM
We stayed at POFQ in January, and I'm happy to say that it is still one of our favorite resorts! Have fun!:mickey:

Brian
04-29-2007, 11:39 AM
We stayed at POFQ last week (just returned on Wednesday) and enjoyed it. As far as any cleanliness issues in our room, we didn't really have any. We found packaging from a tooth brush on the shelf next to the sinks, but that was it.

Boojum
04-29-2007, 04:06 PM
The only small complaint I have about POFQ is that there's no sit-down restaurant there anymore. I understand there used to be one called "Bonfamille's," which served cajun-style food. We love to eat a big, "sit-down" breakfast on the mornings we leave for home, and would rather eat at our immediate resort to save time. We usually go to "Boatwright's," at POR, and they do an excellent breakfast. Doesn't take that much longer, either.

All that aside, though, you can get some excellent cajun food in the food court--the shrimp etouffee over rice is excellent. Even my younger DD, who is a somewhat picky eater, loves this dish. She also likes the sweet cornbread they serve as a side. And, do NOT miss the beignets at the dessert counter.

Otherwise? We've been most impressed with POFQ, and my DD's love it--each time we tell them we're planning a WDW trip, their first question will be "We're staying at French Quarter, right??"