PDA

View Full Version : Toy Weapons in the theme parks?

TikiGoddess
03-13-2007, 08:34 PM
My DH and I were talking about the gift shops at the MK recently. He worked retail at the MK as a CM in the '90's and he remembers selling toy guns and rifles. Do they still sell these, in today's day and age of security threats?

TikiG

robhink
03-13-2007, 08:46 PM
Yes they still sell them in the parks, I know they have a large number of them at the POTC shop.

Strmchsr
03-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Right, but they're so obviously fake (like the POTC guns) that they couldn't be mistaken for the real deal.

Speedy1998
03-13-2007, 09:47 PM
There was a breif time that they removed them from the parks, but that didn't last long. The ones they have today, are not nearly as realistic looking (partly do to product safety laws) as the ones they used to sell in the 70s and 80s though.

merlinmagic4
03-13-2007, 10:08 PM
They definitely sell them. My son wanted one of the wooden pistols from Fort Wilderness. I was concerned about bringing it home on the plane and the cast member told me it was fine in my luggage (and it was).

KylesMom
03-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Yup, they sure do. Both pistols and muskets - just not very realistic (and with lots of plastic pieces). Oh, and let's not forget the cutlasses, daggers and light sabers! :D We somehow always end up with a weapon to take home, but have never had a problem as long as it was in our checked luggage.

Buttercup
03-14-2007, 11:58 AM
All the guns have those giant fluorescent orange caps on the muzzle so you know they're not real.

ibrowse17
03-14-2007, 12:27 PM
They still sell the same type of "guns" now as they did when I first went to WDW in 1975. My dad would not buy me one, so I bought my self one my first grown up trip...:thumbsup:

disneydawniebeth
03-14-2007, 01:31 PM
We stayed at CBR and bought our son a Pirates of the Caribbean rifle- needless to say, it wouldn't fit in our luggage, so we had to tape it up with disney bags and send it by itself! It was so tall! Horrible! Told DS not to expect us to go through that again!

:sick:

Jasper
03-14-2007, 01:44 PM
I just want to basically say ditto to what has already been said.

I also want to add that if you purchase ANY kind of fake gun, it is very important that you not take the flourescent tip off the end. This is there so law enforcement can immediately tell if your weapon is real or not. There have been cases of mistaken identity when people were playing cops and robbers or whatever kind of game and law enforcement didn't see the orange tip and arrested the people involved.

This goes regardless of where you purchase the gun or how realistic it is or is not. It is unfortunate, but that is how the world is these days.

SgtTigger
03-14-2007, 07:30 PM
Don't forget the cool blasters at Buzzlightyear........

:cop: :tigger:

wire0monkey
03-22-2007, 05:48 PM
We bought the most awesome pirate "flintlock" pistols at the POTC gift shop. They make a firing noise when **** it and pull the trigger. When you point them at someone and pull back halfway on the trigger, it has a skull and crossbone shaped light that comes out of the end. My kids love those things. So does their mom.

mmouse566
03-24-2007, 08:24 AM
This is sort of related. During Halloween and Pirates and Princesses it states no weapons or look alike weapons as part of the costume. My little pirate of course wanted to bring her sword but I said no we were following the rules. Of course many "pirates" had their swords. I asked the CM and she stated they put those on the tickets so kids will buy the "weapons" within the park$.

jillluvsdisney
03-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Why would a parent buy a weapon for their child and then encourage them to point a toy gun at someone? In a million years, I would NEVER buy any type of toy that promoted violence towards another human being.

Flame away .

princessimagineer
03-24-2007, 10:27 AM
they definoutly have those clearly fake weapons in POTC shop

little interesting fact- i saw in that shop in Cinderella's Castle, these envelope openers that looked like knight swords and there was a little sign next to it that said "must be shipped directly home"

CarolinaWDWFan
03-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Why would a parent buy a weapon for their child and then encourage them to point a toy gun at someone? In a million years, I would NEVER buy any type of toy that promoted violence towards another human being.

Flame away .

:confused: I guess you don't ride Buzz Lightyear...seeing as how it has toy cannons that promote shooting things. Parenting is much more than what you buy your child. Please don't make broad generalizations that include the parents that are doing a great job.

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-24-2007, 07:44 PM

Flame away .

No one says you have to buy them.
But, as long as a large number of us don't have a problem with them and continue to buy, I have no doubt Disney will and should continue to sell these TOYS.

The Bookseller
03-24-2007, 10:04 PM

Flame away .

It is your right and your choice to raise your children the way you see fit. I am not in a place when I can realisticaly ask a parent to do something he dosen't believe right.

On the other side, let's all remember that we are talking about a toy gun here. There's way more offensive objects out there for kids to put their hands on that cheap gun replicas. I also believe that proper education about firearms is the best way to deal with the issue of children and guns.

merlinmagic4
03-24-2007, 10:23 PM
I was so hoping this wouldn't turn this way.....

Children who play with guns don't grow up to be criminals just as children who play Spiderman don't grow up to be superheroes!

My brother played with toy guns just like everyone else I knew and he turned out just fine. He is a police officer and a respectable member of society:thumbsup:

I was actually once in the "No Guns" camp but realized I couldn't ban sticks, legos, paper towel tubes, or fingers.

I respect those who make a different choice but I don't believe it makes me a bad parent. My kids know what real guns do (in no uncertain terms) and they know what to do if they find a real gun. I worry about kids who are clearly intrigued but see them as forbidden and mysterious.

Peace :hands:

Piglet822
03-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Moderator's Warning

The question was whether the toys were still sold at the theme park, not how people parent their children.
Please let's stay on topic. Thank You. :)

battle beast
03-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes, please stay on topic!

Kristi Kay
04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
DO they ever! And I saw a cute little kid take his toy gun and shot Woody with it....it made me laugh.

Jaythin
04-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi, I have a sort of follow-up question about this. When I was in high school, I bought one of the toy rifles in disneyland for a play that I was in. I remember it being perfect because it was wooden and shaped more or less realistically (except for the big orange cap). Are the guns they sell now still like this? I know in disneyland, all they have are the completely orange and green plastic toy guns that light up. And when I was in disneyland paris they had the old ones I remember from being a kid. Which are the WDW ones more like?

merlinmagic4
04-05-2007, 08:41 PM
My son bought two wooden guns at one of the gift shops in Fronteirland. They are brown and wooden with some gold metal. They do have the orange caps, of course :)

BelleandtheBeast
04-05-2007, 10:43 PM
There is nothing wrong with buying a kid a toy gun, just teach him to NOT point it at people. Jeez, some people are too overbearing. :mickey:

firefan43
04-12-2007, 08:45 AM
:confused: whats worse, a kid getting a toy gun and "shooting" someone, or a kid getting a toy sword and actually hitting someone with it?

Donald A
04-12-2007, 01:04 PM
What fun for a little boy or girl to be able to get a sword or gun from Adventureland or Frontierland. No kids yet, but I am glad that I may be able to buy my child something like that in the future. I think it would be a memorable experience for my child to ride POTC and get a sword on the way out. Then take a picture and have my wife make a scrapbook page. That is what Disney is all about, dreaming and pretending!

DVC2004
04-12-2007, 04:36 PM
My son bought two wooden guns at one of the gift shops in Fronteirland. They are brown and wooden with some gold metal. They do have the orange caps, of course :)

We have those, too. One even had some feathers and markings on it. My boys love them. The CM packaged them in a cardboard box and we had no problem with TSA or getting them home by airplane. I think the long ones run about $20 or so. There are small pistol styles as well. We bought ours from an outside stand over in Frontierland.