PDA

View Full Version : Another Hypothetical Question - what Disney movie would you NEVER watch again?

alphamommy
03-13-2007, 09:14 AM
I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I'd say "Mary Poppins". I love the music, I love Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, but as far as I'm concerned, the movie could have ended after they jump back out of the sidewalk paintings.

Are there any Disney movies you don't ever care to see again?

LibertyTreeGal
03-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Oh there are SO MANY! Hunchback of Notre Dame (my sons are NOT going to watch Demi pole dancing...), Treasure Planet (I have trouble even thinking of this one as Disney), Chicken Little.....

SBETigg
03-13-2007, 09:29 AM
The Haunted Mansion movie starring Eddie Murphy. Blech.

LibertyTreeGal
03-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Ditto, or the Robin Williams version of Flubber, or the Tim Allen version of the Shaggy Dog, or .......

STOP REMAKING FRED MACMURRAY CLASSICS!

ChipnDaleGal
03-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Eight Below - I hated it!!

Also, I doubt I will ever watch Hunchback again. The Frollo character just disgusts me too much.

Mickey'sGirl
03-13-2007, 09:53 AM
The Haunted Mansion movie starring Eddie Murphy. Blech.
This is one of DS3's favourites if you can imagine!

RAIDER
03-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Without a doubt its

Dinosaur ...THAT WAS RUBBISH !!!!:ack: :ack: :ack:

sleepingbooty
03-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Escape from / Return to Witch Mountain! Those were Disney, right? Terrible!

MScholl13
03-13-2007, 10:40 AM
I would never, EVER watch Great Mouse Detective ever again. I watched it once when I was little and have refused to watch it ever since. Something about that movie I just do not like at all!:ack:

CanadianWDWFan
03-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Dinosaur ...THAT WAS RUBBISH !!!!:ack: :ack: :ack:
:jaw: I can remember watching the opening scene and I was amazed by it.

I think that for me it is any movie with Hayley Mills in it.

Jenemmy
03-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Hunchback or Fox and Hound -- UGH -- could that movie be more depressing?????

MsMin
03-13-2007, 11:07 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is Darby O'Gill and the Little People.
Maybe it's because I was miserable when we saw it at the show b/c my friend kept talking outloud to the screen. I think I was scarred for life.
Dinosaur was boring too.

BrerSchultzy
03-13-2007, 11:22 AM
LibertyTreeGal, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm tired of the remakes...what next...are they going to start remaking the Annette Funicello / Tommy Kirk movies...or even the Don Knotts/Tim Conway movies? Make NEW ones to star the NEW stars.

Oh, and Atlantis and Treasure Planet...blech.

RAIDER
03-13-2007, 11:57 AM
:jaw: I can remember watching the opening scene and I was amazed by it.

I think that for me it is any movie with Hayley Mills in it.

I Agree with all of the above ...HAYLEY MILLS included ....

The opening scene to Dinosaur was jaw dropping and it just went badly downhill from there :thumbsup:

GothMickey
03-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Treasure Planet gets such a bad rap. My picks would be Country Bears and Home on the Range.

aprilisis
03-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Eight Below - I hated it!!

Also, I doubt I will ever watch Hunchback again. The Frollo character just disgusts me too much.
:confused: :confused: :confused: I LOVED 8 Below!!! But I definitely agree with you 100% on Hunchback!! :thumbsup:

cetacean01
03-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Oliver and Company
The Black Cauldron
Atlantis

ANY OF THE DIRECT TO VIDEO SEQUELS MADE SOLELY FOR THE GREED FACTOR
cmon- how do you make a sequel to Fox and the Hound????????????:thedolls:

Loved Hunchback-best music from any disney movie. But I agree that the themes in it are suspect.

Speedy1998
03-13-2007, 12:33 PM
You can fight all you like about which movies that you do not like, but the only Disney movie that will never make it into my collection is one of the classics. Old Yeller, is just too :( depressing to watch more than once in a lifetime.

Mickey'sGirl
03-13-2007, 12:55 PM
You can fight all you like about which movies that you do not like, but the only Disney movie that will never make it into my collection is one of the classics. Old Yeller, is just too :( depressing to watch more than once in a lifetime.
I remember seeing it for the first time sitting on the floor in the gym at my elementary school..... the sobbing that ensued was incredible. He really was the best dog-gone dog in the West. :dog:

offwego
03-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Hmm that is tough

The witch mountian ones if it's live action.

And if it's animated Home On The Range. It was really hard to watch.

(mind you I really like Treasure Planet so clearly have issues)

Grizz16
03-13-2007, 01:11 PM
The Black Cauldron, that was a stinker

alphamommy
03-13-2007, 06:06 PM

I didn't even think of this one when I posed the question. This is another one I will never see, and don't plan to let DD watch. If she sees it on her own when she's older, okay, but I won't watch it!

Disney Babe
03-13-2007, 07:15 PM
First of all I am a total Hailey Mills fan! My all time favorite depression buster is That Darn Cat! I have almost every line memorized plus the song, which is sung by Bobby Darrin.

The movie I would never see again would be Sky High.

Some of the movies mentioned above I never wanted to watch once! But, some of them are winners in my eyes.

I don't like most Disney remakes either. Exceptions: I love the newer Parent Trap and the newer Freaky Friday.

Red Randal
03-13-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm just blocking Haunted Mansion out of my head. I actually get a little sick when I think of what they did with Pirates and how awesome HM could have been.

If we're only talking movies from the Animated Cannon then the Fox and the Hound would be my pick. I don't think it's a BAD movie, per se, just a little too childish even for Disney and I personally don't care to ever see it again.

jennbunn
03-14-2007, 01:19 AM
treasure planet gets my familys vote

January-2007
03-14-2007, 02:48 PM
Finding Nemo. OH MY GOSH. Seriously. Terrible.

I refused to ever watch Hunchback so I guess I can't say that one since I never watched it in the first place, let alone AGAIN...:sick:

Dixie Springs
03-15-2007, 09:15 PM
I agree with so many of these. I'd forgotten how bad some of these films were. As Disney fans, we give them a lot of license - even try to like/defend them, but alas, they are stinkers. My top votes (pardon the redundancy):

Oliver (sloppy-looking, dumb)
Fox/Hound (yes - depressing)
Haunted Mansion ('Pirates' worked - why didn't this or the Bears?)
Hunchback (preachy, dorky musical)
Lilo & Stitch (I'm sorry)
Fantasia (I'm really sorry - I know this is a classic)

Thanks for the opportunity to critiique!

Melanie
03-15-2007, 09:18 PM
I didn't think Haunted Mansion was all that bad, and the Hunchback music is incredible, even if the film is dark.

My vote would be the Country Bears. Don't like the show, much less a movie based on it. :ack:

Rhetoric2000
03-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Number of votes against Hunchback so far: 6

Number of votes against Pocahontas: 0

:stop:

Can't believe that. As mentioned above, Hunchback has the single best score of any Disney movie by quite a distance. It also has a feel that is very different from any other Disney movie, which might be why so many find it uncomfortable. It's actually probably in my top 8 or so Disney movies.

Pocahontas also has a decent score (by Menken and Schwartz as well) but that's really the only thing going for it. Even going beyond the many things to find offense with in the plot and execution, it's just plain boring.

Also, good point on Old Yeller. Great movie but I'm sure I'll never watch it again.

Ian
03-16-2007, 08:32 AM
CHICKEN LITTLE!

Oh my, was this movie horrid. I just kept waiting for it to end ... and I kept thinking to myself, "Is this as bad as I think it is???"

I actually leaned over to DW and asked her, "Hon, are you hating this as much as I am?"

She looked me in the eye and answered only, "More."

It's the only Disney movie I don't own on DVD. I'll never buy it ... won't have it in my house. Utter rubbish.

Edited to add ...

I was just reading through this thread after I posed and I'm amazed that only one other person mentioned this bomb! The only thing I can assume is that it looked so un-appealing that most people never saw it.

I forgot about Home on the Range ... I never bothered with that one at all, because it looked so bad. I guess I could list that one too.

Melanie
03-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Pocahontas also has a decent score (by Menken and Schwartz as well) but that's really the only thing going for it.

I agree that Pocahontas has a nice score, but I also thought the animation was gorgeous. The only thing really lacking to me was the story, and as we all know, the story can make or break the movie. :unsure:

Momof2boys
03-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm with Melanie on Country Bears . . . one of the worst movies I've seen.

CanadianWDWFan
03-16-2007, 11:37 AM
My vote would be the Country Bears. Don't like the show, much less a movie based on it. :ack:
I totally for got about this one. It seems like I have deleted it from my memory. As for the show, my DW says that it is time she can never get back.

offwego
03-16-2007, 12:09 PM
[SIZE=4]I was just reading through this thread after I posed and I'm amazed that only one other person mentioned this bomb! The only thing I can assume is that it looked so un-appealing that most people never saw it.

I forgot about Home on the Range ... I never bothered with that one at all, because it looked so bad. I guess I could list that one too.

Home on the Range made Chicken Little look good. Very good. At least in comparison anyway. But yeah it wasn't too good. DS liked it though. Think mostly because he liked the "misfit" friends.

i'm grumpy
03-16-2007, 08:32 PM
Most of them I couldn't bring myself to watch even once. Haven't see Treasure Planet, Home on the Range, HM or Country Bears. Don't ever go to the CB show at 1am. :bored: :shake: I've only seen Nemo twice, I don't understand what the fuss is about.

Niecyboo
03-19-2007, 05:32 PM
For me it would have to be Hercules. I just never got that one, and I know they were going for a "style" but it looked sloppy to me. Sorry.

Of course, I would watch that 10 times before watching Black Cauldron once, but that one was already mentioned. I could also do without a few other ones mentioned including Home on the Range, and most sequels.

I disagree on Hunchback, Nemo and Chicken Little. I love those.

kaerbear178
03-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Alice in Wonderland gets my vote. Any version , Diseny or otherwise gives me the creeps.

Christine
03-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Live Action: Country Bears and Snow Dogs

Animation: Oliver and Co. and Jungle Book 2

Clotho
03-23-2007, 02:33 AM
Eight Below, but only because I can't see animals suffer or die. It makes me sick! It's a weakness I have!!

I have to agree with the remakes. Bleh.

But Escape from Witch Mountain/Return To were my FAVORITE Disney movies much of my youth. It powered a lot of my make-believe games. Much like today kids play superheroes, I loved to pretend I was psychic or telekinetic with my little friends--inspired by these movies! The effects and acting are really horrible (especially by today's standards) but as a kid I didn't notice those things, and only loved the stories and the adventure!!

I didn't even make it THROUGH Home on the Range. Roseanne's voice drove me batty.

As for comments about Old Yeller and others being too depressing, I understand, yet I really feel that too many "happy endings" are slapped on movies these days. I appreciate a good cry or sad movie, because it feels more real. For instance, the way Disney has twisted some of the old fairy tales to have happy endings...especially Pocahantas, which really frustrated me from both a storytelling and a cultural-appropriation standpoint... No thanks.

I will never watch haunted Mansion again. It was so disappointing as a move-based-on-a-beloved-ride. The worst...

goofhook
03-30-2007, 08:12 PM
:blush: I'm going to go with cars I know a lot of you will disagree but I just saw no point in that movie.

mjm
03-30-2007, 08:45 PM
For those of you that don't like Hunchback, I agree that the movie is very dark by most Disney comparisons, but it did get the Disney treatment for a happy ending. You do know the hunchback dies in the novel don't you?

SpecJoe Magic
03-31-2007, 03:00 AM
I understand why many people don't like Hunchback due to its themes and tone, but I would like to see it again because I haven't seen it since it was in theaters over 10 years ago. I rarely watch movies multiple times so that isn't an indication of my feelings about it. I don't remember disliking it, and watching it again would be worth it if only for the superb music and to refresh my memory. I think that I might enjoy it because it is different from all of the other animated movies.

Many of the movies listed on here never caught my interest so I've never seen them at all. These include The Country Bears, Chicken Little, Home on the Range, Treasure Planet, Eight Below, Snow Dogs, the remakes (i.e. Shaggy Dog with Tim Allen) and any sequel to an animated movie.

Of those I've seen, I never want to see Pocahontas (uninteresting storyline and terrible execution), The Haunted Mansion (it's awful to even think about because it could have been extraordinary), and Bambi (boring and contains one of the most annoying songs ever, "Little April Showers") again.

Davyjones
03-31-2007, 04:06 PM
I couldn't watch The Haunted Mansion with Eddie Murphy again. Why on Earth was it made in the first place? :confused: It was truly horrible. And the saddest part of it all is that it could have been SO MUCH BETTER!!!

How could you not like Eight Below, though? I thought it was a great film. :thumbsup:

citizensnoopy
03-31-2007, 04:39 PM
As mentioned above, Hunchback has the single best score of any Disney movie by quite a distance. It also has a feel that is very different from any other Disney movie, which might be why so many find it uncomfortable. It's actually probably in my top 8 or so Disney movies.

Completely agree with this --- Hunchback is one of my favorites! The score is amazing.

As for movies I'd never watch again: Dinosaur, Pocahontas, Atlantis

Mousefever
04-09-2007, 02:25 AM
The Black Cauldron, that was a stinker

The sad thing is that the movie was based on such a good juvenile fantasy series by Lloyd Alexander.

I can't believe that no one has brought up that horrible pig movie, Gordy. It came out right after Babe, I think. It's not that I dislike pig movies. I found Babe quite charming, but could barely sit through Gordy.

I agree that Hunchback's score is incredible. I also have a nostalgic fondness for Escape/Return to Witch Mountain, since I'm pretty sure I was the target audience at the time. I have seen both recently and even though they're relatively terrible, I still enjoyed them.

:dory:

mjm
04-09-2007, 11:52 AM
--- Brittany
UCLA School of Medicine, class of 2009

Good luck at UCLA!

thrillme
04-09-2007, 05:04 PM
WOW...I'm finding a number of different tastes in movies. I liked a bunch of these that are listed as "never see agains". Loved Sky High (anything with Kurt Russell), Hunchback and Oliver both had great music and anything with a cat is a bonus for me...At first I wasn't a big fan of treasure plant but it grew on me...Nemo/Dinosaur...loved both of those too.

The one I will NEVER EVER EVER watch again is Old Yeller (I believe Speedy1998 mentioned this first). Yes...WAY to depressing. A friend of mine wanted me to buy this for one of her girl's birthdays because "they" loved it. NO NO NO NO...I picked it up and started crying...called her and said pick another present...WAHHHHH ... I won't even let my DS (who is much older than her girls) watch it. There's enough miserable endings in real life...I don't watch movies for "real life".

Wasn't the "Yearling" another Disney movie. I recall watching that one and not liking it either. But I didn't get as attached as Old Yeller...that one I think I cried for a week. My mother struggled to explain to me that they have medicines that can prevent that now...WAHHHH.

I haven't seen "8 Below" but my DS did and he advised me NOT to watch it.

pogo
04-09-2007, 06:35 PM
I can't believe no one said "Bridge to Tarabithia" ! :(

It was horrible ! At least in my opinion. :D

thrillme
04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I can't believe no one said "Bridge to Tarabithia" ! :(

It was horrible ! At least in my opinion. :D

Was that a DISNEY movie????? I didn't know....

I agree that was TERRIBLE. The trailers led me to believe it was more Narnia-like. I was VERY disappointed.

Marker
04-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Goodness, this is not the topic, or the crowd for me.

I liked Atlantis. I like Treasure Planet.
I really liked Haunted Mansion.
I even liked Chicken Little.

Someone said they didn't know why the even made Cars, well if nothing else, it was to entertain me, I loved it.

How can you not like the Original Absent Minded Professor with Fred McMurray. I laughed my "arm" off when that movie first came out. Follow Me Boys is a great movie.

Darby O'Gill and the Gnome-Mobile are great childhoon memories, and I still laugh at them.

Man, this is not my crowd.

Now then, I won't even mention sequals like Lion King 2, LIttle Mermaid 2, etc.

I've watched the Black Cauldron twice, and still couldn't tell you much about it because I lose interest, so I think I probably don't like it much.

Home on the Range, and Country Bears didn't do a darned thing for me either.

---- FYI - in my opinion, if a movie makes a kid laugh (or anyone for that matter) even if I don't get it, that doesn't make it a BAD movie. It just means that I don't like it.

ASweetLov
04-12-2007, 02:16 PM
To me it would have to be Home On The range and The Country Bears...... I actually really loved Treasure Planet and The Hunchback Of Notre Dame and the music to both of the movies are great:mickey:

prttynpnk
04-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Escape from / Return to Witch Mountain! Those were Disney, right? Terrible!
You nailed my picks! Shiver!