PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion Refurb.

Mickey26
03-08-2007, 05:07 PM
It's finally official.
Just saw on the DisneyWorld website that the Haunted Mansion will be closed June 6 for refurbishment. The operational updates only go through September and it has the Haunted Mansion closed all the way through September.

I know it needs it, but I sure am going to miss when I go. By the way, I arrive at WDW on June 7! I'll miss it by one day!

cetacean01
03-08-2007, 05:26 PM
That stinks!!!!! We need a petition to ask them to close during off season. Closing it in July is rediculous!

kadesha
03-08-2007, 05:35 PM
It is a little crazy to close it during summer season. I'm going in May, it's one of the things I'm looking most forward to! Glad I'm gonna make it before it closes!!! :)

DVC2004
03-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, I hope they update a few things like they did at DL. Particularily the attic/bride. I really liked what they did to that scene in CA.:thumbsup:

JPL
03-08-2007, 05:42 PM
The plan is to have it done and open before the start of MNSSHP which begins in late September. I know I am not looking forward top ot being closed on my June trip but can't wait to see it again in October all spruced up and back to it's former glory :thumbsup:

Figment!
03-08-2007, 05:44 PM
The Haunted Mansion will be closed for a routine refurbishment June 6 - September 12, 2007 according to an official announcement just released by Walt Disney World Operations.

KylesMom
03-08-2007, 05:49 PM
:crying: :down: :fit: I warned my DH that this was a possibility - I'm dreading telling both him and DS that one of our favorite attractions will be down. I'm not saying that it doesn't need it - the stretching walls are marred, more things don't work than do, but we're still going to miss it terribly. :(

DNS
03-08-2007, 06:01 PM
They can't do all refurbs during the off season, or too much would be closed then. I love it too, but I'm just glad it's getting a face-lift.

GottaLvDisney
03-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Oooh, we'll be there from September 15 through the 22....I hope it re-opens as scheduled b/c this will be DH & DDs first trip and I'd hate for them to miss it - it's one of my faves :mickey:

KAJUNKING
03-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Oooh, we'll be there from September 15 through the 22....I hope it re-opens as scheduled b/c this will be DH & DDs first trip and I'd hate for them to miss it - it's one of my faves :mickey:

we are going at the same time, and im hoping with you :mickey:

JPL
03-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Well, I hope they update a few things like they did at DL. Particularily the attic/bride. I really liked what they did to that scene in CA.:thumbsup:

These 2 additions have been rumoured as part of the rehab along with a gift shop at the ride's exit. Although nothing has been officially confirmed but the length of the rehab certainly supports the rumour:thumbsup:

disneyfamily05
03-08-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm with Mickey26 - we arrive on June 7th too - AND it was the ONE attraction we didn't see on our first trip! :( Oh well - maybe that means we'll have to take another to see it in its new splendor!

CaptSmee
03-08-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm very suprised it's closing during the busy summer months. I'm going to have to ride it about 100 times since i'll be there the week it closes!

Crow
03-08-2007, 08:10 PM
The Haunted Mansion will be closed for a routine refurbishment June 6 - September 12, 2007 according to an official announcement just released by Walt Disney World Operations.

so i will get to see it in its rundown state in May, then if i go back in Sept see the new dirt....

DREAMADREAM93
03-08-2007, 08:11 PM
That stinks!!!!! We need a petition to ask them to close during off season. Closing it in July is rediculous!

I AGREE!
How do you close it during peak season!?!
When I'll be there! :[

- Jordan

disneymajik
03-08-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't know what's so hard to understand. It's being closed during the summer season so it can be open as the centerpiece of the Halloween Party. I can see that's it's disapointing for some if it's closed during your vacation but the timing clearly makes sense.

CU Tiger
03-08-2007, 09:06 PM
I glad the HM refurb date is finally official :whew:. We got lucky and will be their two weeks before it closes. It is strange that it will be in refurb during peak season :scratch: . :mickey:

Carol
03-08-2007, 09:15 PM
It's closing during that time frame so it is open for the Halloween parties and then the busy Thanksgiving & Christmas season!

If they didn't do rehabs - we'd all be complaining things were run down. It's necessary! :shrug:

I went to Disneyland for the first time in November and the Matterhorn was down. Of course I was disappointed - but it's understandable. I'll see it next time.

Mnchknbrat1982
03-08-2007, 09:23 PM
It definately needs it but I am glad it should be back up before I go down!!

BrerEmma
03-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cetacean01
Hi all its not well thought out quotes like this that really cheese off alot of people. I am only able to visit in off season because of my job. I am still paying full ticket price just the same as you so why do I have to sufer all the timwe with off season rides. If that is going to be the case then you should pay much more for your ticket than I do for mine. It seems only fair because you are seing all E tikcet rides while I am seeing C & D level.:thedolls: :thedolls:

conwayjohn71
03-08-2007, 09:49 PM
we will be there while we are there

maybe I can get the last ride before it closes:secret:

DisneyDudet
03-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Like said above, they want it ready for the Halloween festivities.

I wouldn't mind a Haunted Mansion Holiday!

5 Mousekteers
03-08-2007, 10:38 PM
:( Bummed out. HM is my favorite attraction... It will be sad not to go on it during our August trip. :mickey: But, it needs the rehab to maintain it's quality. It just gives me something to look foward to in 2008. Maybe one year they will get the NMBC theme going for Halloween. Then we would have to make a special trip!

JPL
03-08-2007, 10:56 PM
For all of you complaining about the rehad and the dates believe me I was there in December and the attraction was an absolute mess. I would rather it be closed for my next 2 trips then to ride it in it's current condition. Here is a list of a few major problems I noticed.

1. Ghost Host cutting in and out during the ride
2. Audio quality extremly poor and full of static when it was working.
3. Scrims in the graveyard ripped and dirty.
4. Lag on some of the animatronics.

Now this was 6 months before the rehab is scheduled to start I can't even imagine the condition the ride would be in in July or August without the rehab.

Last year they had pirates closed for a portion of the busy season and a few years ago it was IASW. When they start the major rehab of SM it maybe down for up to 2 years. It's just something we have to expect from time to time.

dolphinmickey9170
03-08-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm sorry that it will be down for the summer. Those of you who will miss it....just remember, it will be well worth it later. But, not to rub it in.................. May 5-18.........I'll be there riding it for you. :blush:

Figment!
03-09-2007, 07:24 AM
While I agree with you on the necessity, Jeff, I still find the timing to be unprecedented for this type of rehab.

Last year they had pirates closed for a portion of the busy season but not the peak of that busy season. The Pirates rehab was done in two phases to allow for the attraction to be open during the height of the Peak Spring Season and park management pushed the re-open date forward so it could be operating 4th of July week.

and a few years ago it was IASW. True, but that was an over one year rehab-- with a rehab of that length it can not be easily avoided. With a rehab of ~4 months it is much easier to either a)schedule during a low or lower period and/or b)partition the rehab around high or higher periods.

huzzah4
03-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Whew, just made it, we arrive may 31st. Of course, I am kind of scared to see what condition it will be in for the last couple of days before the rehab. I certainly hope they aren't going to prestage a bunch of the materials, that would ruin the whole look and feel of the ride.

IDreamofEeyore
03-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Aw man! My DS is going to be disappointed that we'll miss the HM! Hopefully, that will be the only "major" refurb during our trip...I better start looking!

indytraveler
03-09-2007, 11:26 AM
To ride an attraction that needs refurb, or ride a newly refurb attraction. I'll take the refurb attraction. I too am going in July and will miss it. Much like the last few years when IASW was down and the change over to Mickey's Philharmagic was down it made for a crowded Fantasyland. Pirates was done in 2 stages and a refurb was not done. Just added aninatronics. This was needed now. You can't have the HM down for refurb during Halloween can you?

Jared
03-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Does anyone know what will be changed? There have been a lot of rumors, but has Disney announced anything yet?

Since the attraction will be closed during one of the busiest times of the year, I imagine this is a major upgrade. I look forward to seeing the new version next winter.

JPL
03-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Let's just say the scene upgrade rumours have come from a very reliable source :thumbsup:

The other rumour I forgot to mention was the on-ride photo system near the end of the ride. It is rumoured to use infrared technology so it doesn't interfer with the setting and mood of the attraction.

The 1,000th Happy Haunt
03-09-2007, 01:13 PM
We planned our Disney trip last month and shortly after that I found out HM may be closed. The good news is we are going May 26th-June 1st. What a relief since HM is by far my families favorite ride (with POTC being #2 and nothing else even coming close). :mickey:

I won't celebrate too much because I feel for anyone that will be there during the refurb.
We were in WDW last year for the POTC closing. We lucked out and on July 3rd they opened it and we got to ride (about 5 times :secret: ). The 7-8 days before that we would get depressed every time we walked by and saw it closed.

Anyway, it's Disney, so you'll still have a great time.

JERSEYDISFAN
03-09-2007, 01:50 PM
You'll notice those of us going in October are not saying a thing! But, I'll guarantee you one thing - something else we want to see will be closed while we are there. It's part of the price for the "magic" folks.

jpcns50
03-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Phewwwwwwwwww........I'm going down September 16th, I really really hope that its open on time!!!

BrerSchultzy
03-09-2007, 02:06 PM
So, I've made it to WDW three times in the last three years, for a grand total of 16 days...and HM was down for rehab on 14 of those 16 days...some of them were unscheduled. This seems to happen a lot to HM. Things don't work. It's old. It's haunted.

I've just gotten used to the idea that it's not gonna be working while we're there. So maybe now they can refurb it and make it do what it's supposed to do.

I think the timing of this is simply a matter of the Imagineers saying "For the love of Walt...the darn thing's broken down again...THAT'S IT...we're guttin' it and redoing everything." Sort of the Microsoft approach to things.

sorry...that was a cheap shot.

"SULLEY "RULES!!
03-09-2007, 08:32 PM
We just love this ride.. My husband and myself will be headed to Disney in November from the 7th thru the 17th....can't wait!!!!! Looking forward to some rehab on the HM...:hmghost:

LudwigVonDrake
03-09-2007, 08:35 PM
I'm going to miss the Haunted Mansion when I'm there in July :(

VickiP
03-09-2007, 10:19 PM
We'll be there in May to see it, but I sure hope that we aren't disappointed because it's in such terrible shape. Maybe the boys won't notice.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Bummer! While I agree that it needs a face lift, I'm still upset about the timing. It was my nephew's first ever ride at 2 1/2. And he did so well, except for the one scream when the ride stopped in the darkest part. I was really hoping we could ride it again in August when he'll be 4. Oh well, I guess we'll ride it next time.

KAT1811
03-09-2007, 11:08 PM

:whew: Whew! I was a little nervous for a bit. We'll be there along with you and KAJUNKING (September 12th - 23rd) keeping my fingers crossed until then!!!

ccchild
03-09-2007, 11:34 PM
I rode it on Tuesday, and I agree that it's desperate for a referb, particularly the soundtrack. :eek2:

Now, if only WDW started taking better care of their attractions, they wouldn't have to wait until the rides got to this condition before shutting them down for so long...

DizneyFreak2002
03-09-2007, 11:36 PM
What exactly are they doing during the refurb?

wagjb
03-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Do the refurbs ever get done ahead of schedule? I'm going to be at WDW the last week in August. Any chance we could luck out?

PeterPan
03-10-2007, 01:03 AM
They rarely announce what they are going to do during a refurb. IF they add what was added in the Disneyland HM, you will ALL be amazed. It is truly astounding, and does not intrude at ALL into the classic version of the ride (well, not much anyway. Let's just say is does change the storyline somewhat). There are a few surprises, but you will LOVE them, I promise.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
03-10-2007, 09:30 AM
You'll notice those of us going in October are not saying a thing! But, I'll guarantee you one thing - something else we want to see will be closed while we are there. It's part of the price for the "magic" folks.
I totally disagree. People like me and hundreds of others plan ahead, and we save up and spend a considerable amount of money on our Disney vacation.

We do this while we forego other vacation spots like Gatlinburg, beaches, or other parks. We do this with an expectation that with the good money we spend on these parks, that we will be able to see and do what we pay for, especially during the peak times of the year.

I don't see why they can't do some sort of round the clock work on it during the less busy times of the year when many of their patrons are in school, not at the parks.

Ian
03-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Well not to sound selfish, but I'm glad they settled on this time period. We're going the first week in May and then not again until October and December, so it'll be open for all of our trips.

I'm excited to see what they do with it ... it is just so desperately in need of some TLC!!

Figment!
03-10-2007, 10:09 AM
What exactly are they doing during the refurb? Officially, it is just routine maintenance and cosmetic work.

Unofficially, it is adding some new effects and maybe a new scene. The latter being based off of some concept art that was internally published, but it was just concept art so it may not be completed.

Mousehead35
03-10-2007, 10:28 AM
We can only get down there once a year and for us it will be this August so I am seriously bumming about the news. On the other hand, the ride is in serious need of some TLC, so although I will miss my beloved Mansion this trip, I know next year when I go it will be even better then before.

jclightchasr
03-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Like said above, they want it ready for the Halloween festivities.

I wouldn't mind a Haunted Mansion Holiday!
I Totally Agree! Would love to see this myself at Christmastime. The soundtrack for DL's version is on soundofmagic.com and it's really good. We will be going in November so we should be able to see the refurbed HM, Three Cabelleros, Laugh Floor, and the refurbed Maelstrom. I am definately excited. I still have yet to see the refurbed small world as well.

bratmaster
03-10-2007, 04:14 PM
I think we come the closest to being lucky - we will be in the MK june 4th! I just hope that IASW will be up and runnnig - last time we went it was in refurbs. and I was very disappointed that my kids never got the privelege of having that song stuck in their heads all day. Pretty much I expect that whenever we go there will be something down - we just hope it is not one of our favorites!

Jeremy
03-11-2007, 03:29 PM
I went to Disneyland last September
and they had the Haunted Mansion,Mattor Horn,
Monorail, and the Train down for rehab.
All in one day.
I was kind of disappointed.

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Am I the only one that finds it ironic that they decide to close a very popular attraction during the first summer of the newly created, more expensive, "summer" resort season?:oops:

JPL
03-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Am I the only one that finds it ironic that they decide to close a very popular attraction during the first summer of the newly created, more expensive, "summer" resort season?:oops:

It is a bit strange but very much needed. I think they want to have it ready for Halloween as stated above. It gives alot of weight to the rumours about 2 updated scenes the on-ride photo and gift shop rumours because of the length of the rehab.

heart4princephillip
03-11-2007, 11:41 PM
We just love this ride.. My husband and myself will be headed to Disney in November from the 7th thru the 17th....can't wait!!!!! Looking forward to some rehab on the HM...:hmghost:

We'll be there at the same time (Nov 8-15 for us)!
My whole family loves this ride...I can understand why they want to have it ready for Halloween.
If everyone is lucky, perhaps they will decide to decorate it for Christmas like they do at Disneyland (one of the best holiday displays I have ever seen - Nightmare Before Christmas themed).

What is Idle Prattle For?
03-12-2007, 01:50 AM
The timing *is* a bit odd, (Why not start in Jan., for example) but there's no doubt refurbishment is much needed. Our last 'ride' was in Nov., and the 'soundtrack' was just awful. It will just seem strange going an entire summer without my beloved HM.

(It's my most sincere wish that they do away with those tacky day-glo spiders and webs once and for all) ;)

Looking forward to October.

kakn7294
03-12-2007, 01:58 AM
It figures, it's one of our favorites and it'll be down in August! :cry:

Celestria
03-12-2007, 03:30 AM
Ok, i can see the gift shop and where it would go in, BUT they don't need another gift shop with no storage space when they already have shops in that land with stock flowing into the store. It's not where the store would go that i don't see, it's where would the stockroom be. those poor stockers, not enough room...

smartinez1
03-12-2007, 07:02 AM
I am really excited about this. I think we have all expressed our concern over the condition of the HM, and the good thing is, Disney is listening! Yes, it is a huge dissapointment that it will be closed for the summer, but it only makes me that much more anxious to plan my next trip to go and see the improved HM! Sometimes, when you have been to Disney a hundred times, and know every ride bit by bit, it is nice to go and see a change. I know not everyone like the change to JITYI, and I for one am a very nostalgic person, so I really do hate change, but this past September riding the new ride for the first time, I enjoyed the change, I still miss the old ride, but it was fun to see somthing totally different. Plus, lets face it, that was never one of my more favorite rides anyway, but I would never suggest completely changing HM or any of the other really popular rides. Just some cleaning and updating is fine with me!!:mickey:

Figgyluv03
03-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm hating the fact that this is coming out, but I'm actually glad I can't afford to go this year, because we were thinking about going the week after labor day and that's one of my favorite rides and my BF's never been there.

AliceinDisney
03-13-2007, 01:48 PM
I called the WDW hotline number and spoke to a cast member who checked the refurb list for me for the summertime, and she claimed nothing was being majorly refurbished in Magic Kingdom during the summer months. I'm sad that Haunted Mansion is closing for the time I'm there, but I guess I will get over it! Anyway know why its closing for refurb? I heard awhile back they're redirecting the queue area, and maybe fixing the sound system.

JPL
03-13-2007, 01:55 PM
The Scheduled has been confirmed from a few different sources that are very reliable. Some CMs might not have the information and really don't know exactly what is going on.
Fro more information this topic is already being dicussed here
Haunted Mansion Refurb (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=98636)

Strmchsr
03-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Anyway know why its closing for refurb? I heard awhile back they're redirecting the queue area, and maybe fixing the sound system.

This is supposed to be a lot more than just changing the queue and sound. Supposedly they're adding in the scenes they put in in DL as well as fixing the effects that need it so badly.

AliceinDisney
03-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Awesome, the only reason Im so disappointed is A: HM is my fave attraction but Im all for Disney updating the wonky parts.

B: My bf is 32 and hasn't been to Disney since he was 8 and he doesnt remember HM and I was stoked for him to go on it. Oh well my parents have a place in FLA, so I'm sure when we go down there for Christmas, we can make our way to Magic Kingdom one more time for a ride on the good ol doombuggies :D

SBETigg
03-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Ach, bummer! But it needs it, and it will be great to have it done for the Halloween crowd. I'm willing to sacrifice for the greater good, but I will miss it when I go.

Dopey's Girl
03-13-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm sad for all of you that will miss HM this summer, but they can't do all the refurbs at once, so I guess we all take turns missing stuff. It just means we all need to plan other trips right?! There were some biggies out for a while earlier this year too weren't there?

I'm glad they are spending some time and money on HM...we were there in December and it was pretty shabby looking in some spots. I'm also excited that I will be able to see it before, and hopefully (if there are no delays in the refurb) right after it's done!

ToraTory
03-13-2007, 04:30 PM
(It's my most sincere wish that they do away with those tacky day-glo spiders and webs once and for all) .

Hey I like those tacky day-glo spiders and webs!!! Call me a dinosaur but some things I like to stay the same (that would probably explain the beads instead of a door and my lava lamp :D ) -- tory

MOJoe
03-13-2007, 05:25 PM
We missed Pirates last year. Now we'll miss Mansion this year :mad: HM has never been missed on any of my trips. I feel I will have an empty hole in the middle of my vacation. Oh, well, guess we'll see Pirates twice.

Belle619
03-14-2007, 03:58 PM
I was on HM two weeks ago and it does need some attention. I had mixed feelings about the POTC refurb too, but I came to enjoy the new version just as much as the old one.

castlelady36
03-15-2007, 10:41 AM
I agree the HM needs some refurb but I don't agree summer is the best time to do it. Not to mention I will be there this summer and HM is a must do for me:mad::mad:!! Oh well there is always next year!!

battle beast
03-15-2007, 11:16 AM

No!!!! I'm going in November and I want it open!!!

What is Idle Prattle For?
03-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Plus,

It'll be interesting to see how this changes traffic flow patterns in the park.

Without HM, there's not a great deal of things in Liberty Square to keep the average park-goer hanging around in that 'neighborhood'.

(Everyone knows how much kids LOVE to drag their parents to HOP....:D )

Liberty Tree Tavern deserted in the middle of the day ? Hmm....

cetacean01
03-17-2007, 08:02 AM
The quote was fine. I am very sorry some people can not go during peak season. However its called the peak season for a reason and that because that is when most people can go. I suggest finding a job that allows you to go during peak season if this is truly an issue for you. I stand by my original post that states its ridiculous to close a top E ticket family attraction during one of the busiest months of the year. It shows bad planning on the part of Disney (blasphemy on this board I know so burn me at the stake). This could have been set up and completed during February and March before the busy spring and summer months and within plenty of time before the Halloween season. We all heard about this for months so that must mean the ball was dropped. The bottom line is that at the end of the day its just a ride.

AliceinDisney
03-17-2007, 12:00 PM
The dayglo spiders rawk! Im sorry but they can't take those out, I have nostalgia for those dumb spiders haha. I thought the bride they had in HM back in the day, black face glowing eyes and heart was way scarier then the dumb goblin green one they have in there now. They need to eighty six Medusa bride and bring back the scary no face bride!

Aurora
03-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Boy it sure was nice to come out of one popular attraction without having to go through a gift shop at the end. Oh well, another one bites the dust. :crying:

JPL
03-26-2007, 11:28 AM
The latest rumors are claiming budget cuts killed the scene upgrades :(

just2mickey
03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Finally, I planned a vacation at the right time. This is one of the rides we hit first! We will barely make June 1st-7th! Woo hoo!:woohoo:

lightyearfan
03-26-2007, 01:13 PM
man we'll just make it on our june trip, i know that this ride is in need of a refurb, but it's 1 of those classic wdw rides thats a must do at least 2-3 times while you're visiting the mk

victor

Bruegge
03-26-2007, 01:24 PM
The quote was fine. I am very sorry some people can not go during peak season. However its called the peak season for a reason and that because that is when most people can go. I suggest finding a job that allows you to go during peak season if this is truly an issue for you. I stand by my original post that states its ridiculous to close a top E ticket family attraction during one of the busiest months of the year. It shows bad planning on the part of Disney (blasphemy on this board I know so burn me at the stake). This could have been set up and completed during February and March before the busy spring and summer months and within plenty of time before the Halloween season. We all heard about this for months so that must mean the ball was dropped. The bottom line is that at the end of the day its just a ride.

Lest we forget that Disney is a Business... The summer is already booked up ... off season is when they have to "give stuff away" to get people onsite.

It doesnt' make sense to close during the off season when some folks might say "lets not go now..HM is closed" Lets wait till it reopens just before Christmas.

Scott

bmj721
03-26-2007, 02:41 PM
I will be there end of May. Just in time for my HM fix. Yeah!! This time without the DH or DS's Party.
:cool:

AliceinDisney
03-26-2007, 03:21 PM
I haven't bought my tickies yet but Im going to Disney in July. I have to get a week pass for myself. About six days. Im going to stay at my families home in Florida and just drive so that saves me not being able to find a resort to stay at which are probably all booked. I'm gonna be sad to miss out on my Haunted Mansion :(

cinderella crazy
03-26-2007, 04:15 PM
I am very sorry some people can not go during peak season. However its called the peak season for a reason and that because that is when most people can go. I suggest finding a job that allows you to go during peak season if this is truly an issue for you.

Some people go during the off-season because they choose to, not beacuse of monetary "challenges." And even if someone is going to Disney during the off-season due to money issues, why should they be punished or be forced to find a "better job?"

When we went in 2004, they were fixing up Small World. It is one of my favorites. But I knew it needed to be fixed and I was happy with the outcome. It looks so much better! So I'm sure that if we miss HM when we go this year, it will be worth it.

delusionalstitch
03-26-2007, 04:22 PM
The HM is in need of a much needed of a referb. I rode it this weekend and the audio in the graveyard was so low you could barely hear it.

I am all for the HM referb as long as they do not change a lot on it.

BriarRose
03-26-2007, 04:50 PM
I am very sorry some people can not go during peak season. However its called the peak season for a reason and that because that is when most people can go. I suggest finding a job that allows you to go during peak season if this is truly an issue for you.

I'm sure you didn't mean to sound as condescending as you do, but my husband and I prefer the weather and crowd levels that October through December have. We love the decorations and parties. Why would I spend 5 to 7 thousand dollars on a vacation that would only cost 3 to 5 hundred dollars more to go in peak season and still choose regular or value season? Because I choose to.

I also think that it was very insensitive to say that someone who has a family to support to "get a better job", just so they can enjoy WDW.

pink
03-26-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm with Mickey26 - we arrive on June 7th too - AND it was the ONE attraction we didn't see on our first trip! Oh well - maybe that means we'll have to take another to see it in its new splendor!

UGH, We're getting there on June 7th too! That really stinks because it's one of my all time favorite rides in WDW. :(

AliceinDisney
03-26-2007, 07:06 PM
I completely agree. My mom and I went on it back in 2003/2004 season and the doombuggies got stuck in the graveyard scene. It rides a bit choppy, although I wouldn't change a thing about the HM, its like a classic car it just needs a tune up.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Some people go during the off-season because they choose to, not beacuse of monetary "challenges." And even if someone is going to Disney during the off-season due to money issues, why should they be punished or be forced to find a "better job?"

:thumbsup: Totally agree here. We choose to go in September not for financial reasons, but, to avoid the crowds of the peak season. Telling someone to find another job to go to Disney World during peak season is just a little harsh. My DH is a 911 Operator. Great job, can take time off at any time of the year, he chooses September every year. One of the "better" jobs around if you ask me.

It kind of surprises me that a thread about a ride closure has taken this turn. :confused:

Carol
03-27-2007, 09:20 AM
MODERATOR ALERT!

Lets stay on topic!

This thread is about the Haunted Mansion rehab. It's NOT a debate about when guests vacation and/or why.

Rehabs happen year round. It's a fact and we will all have to deal with it from time to time.

Let's move on, Folks ......

AliceinDisney
03-27-2007, 12:53 PM
We have to all remember I think that if Disney didn't close these popular attractions for routine maintenance from time to time, there can be all kinds of problems like damage to the ride, mishaps, and heaven forbid, accidents. I think its essential to close HM for a couple months to fix it up if thats what is required. I say just be thankful its still going to remain a Disney classic :)

cetacean01
03-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Once again,
I think it shows bad planning on disneys part. There has been pleanty of opportunity to fix this before now. My point was that its called peak season for a reason, that reason being thats when most people can come and enjoy the park. I am sorry if peak season doesnt suit some people, but the fact remains that it does suit the majority. I apologize for the sarcasm, but stand by my original post that it is ridiculous to close a top family e ticket attraction when most families can come and enjoy that top family e ticket attraction. And all over a gift shop! Really come on..........

AliceinDisney
03-27-2007, 02:01 PM
But the gift shop is only a rumour. I see your point about the timing of the refurbishment, but when is a good time really? I mean no matter what people are going to be disappointed at the closing of this attraction, just because September isn't peak season ironically thats when its re-opening doesn't hinder the fact that the attraction is running rustily. Why run the risk of it breaking down and further damaging it just to let guests ride it during peak season.

JPL
03-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Yes the haunted Mansion is a classic e-ticket attraction and it will be closed during peak season but it also fits in the halloween themie and they want it open for MNNSHP. I fthey closed it for 4 months during the off it would leave atleast 2 major attractions closed during that period at all times since that is when most rehabs take place. I am a far from defending Disney and often criticize them and the way they operate WDW. But in this case I understand the reasoning behind the closure and the timing of it. What are people going to say when SM goes down for a minimum of 8 months for it's major refurbishment.

AliceinDisney
03-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but what does SM stand for? I am trying to memorize all the abbrev's on this website. Anyway, whenever its a key attraction its never great timing. I mean look at Pirate's, it was closed for months, and look at it now, its riveting to everyone. I mean Haunted Mansion is always and forever going to be my all time favourite attraction. Everything about it right down to the cheesy rubber spiders, and the antique wood and flocked wallpapers remind me of this old homestead near me in Canada called Dundurn Castle. Even today its a revolutionary(for lack of a better word) attraction that even having rid it over 50 times, you could still notice something you may not of before. On that it will probably never be removed. Even if they changed it completely, I don't think Disney would ever remove it, its just got a special place in many people's hearts and is the reason why many people return to the parks today! Its like Gone with the Wind, they would never remake that film right? Never mess with a classic, unless the classic is made even more classic (Pirates) which rarely happens.

I'm totally off topic. Anyway I think its a great thing that Disney wants to keep their popular attractions going for the newer generations to come. Keep them pristine.

JPL
03-27-2007, 04:13 PM
SM is Space Mountain

I just heard another interesting point about the Mansion are they closing it because it can't physically handle the summer crowds without safety concerns

AliceinDisney
03-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Thats a good point. As I said before if its in needing maitenance, theres a chance it could be unfixable if they let people ride it and further put strain on it.

Pop Centurion
04-05-2007, 06:44 PM
I hope they finish the rehab ahead of schedule instead of Sept 12th. That's the day I plan to return home from my trip. My vacation wouldn't be complete without at least one ride on the HM. :( Maybe I'll shift my plans forward by a day and come home the 13th :)

JPL
04-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Lately they seem to be more behind schedule than ahead of schedule on rehabs :( I don't think extending your vacation a day would really do much good especially idf they go through with the major rehab that was originally rumoured with on-ride photo, gift shop and scene changes. If anything they will mostly likely delay the opening.

AliceinDisney
04-05-2007, 09:20 PM
What scene changes are they implementing? I hope they get rid of green bride and bring back scary. Im bringing Scary back yeeeehhh lol

I hope they don't alter it too much. A pic of you sitting with your ghost hitchiking pal at the end would be cool. I'd buy that 20 dollar pic haha

mickey98
04-05-2007, 09:46 PM
These 2 additions have been rumoured as part of the rehab along with a gift shop at the ride's exit. Hopefully the gift shop would be something like the kiosk that used to be outside the H.M. in the mid 1970's. the used to have a lot of cool stuff.. I still have a set of plaster tomb stones that they used to sell with your name on them !!!

mttafire
04-05-2007, 10:46 PM
They can't do all refurbs during the off season, or too much would be closed then. I love it too, but I'm just glad it's getting a face-lift.

Agreed...Also, I will add that for us "off season" visitors...Its nice to see a refurb during the "peak season"..:blush:

Kristi Kay
04-06-2007, 12:53 AM
im bummed about that! my sister is going down with me the first week of sept. and that was one of the rides we were most excited about!

Ian
04-06-2007, 06:25 AM
I got a real kick out of someone suggesting that most people go during the peak season because they want to!

I always assumed those poor people went down there and suffered in the blistering heat and humidity, stood in excruciatingly long lines, and paid too much money for their trip because either they didn't know any better or they had no choice (kids in school).

That's the first time I've ever seen someone suggest that those of us who prefer to go when it's cooler, less crowded, and cheaper were somehow disadvantaged!!

:laughing:

Touchdown
04-06-2007, 08:44 AM
I got a real kick out of someone suggesting that most people go during the peak season because they want to!

I always assumed those poor people went down there and suffered in the blistering heat and humidity, stood in excruciatingly long lines, and paid too much money for their trip because either they didn't know any better or they had no choice (kids in school).

That's the first time I've ever seen someone suggest that those of us who prefer to go when it's cooler, less crowded, and cheaper were somehow disadvantaged!!

:laughing:

You arent disadvantaged, but some of us prefer having the parks open late and can deal with the crowds. Also it used to be like this:

Off Season: light crowds and cheap rooms but short hours and lots of rehabs

Peak Season: Long hours, no rehabs but expensive rooms and heavy crowds

The orginal idea behind doing rehabs was to do them when the park would not be at capacity because "crowd load" could be disperced to other lines. I wonder if Disney is going to lower their capacity for the MK on July 4th since Haunted Manison (a huge crowd eater) is going to be closed. If they dont, where are those people going to go? The capacity number is supposed to reflect the point where they expect every line to be filled to the max and when the midways reach critcal mass and become dangerous due to crowding. Whats going to happen when you "add" at least a thousand people to that figure (since HM's line and ride will be empty.)

Some of us think that Disney got into this reahab hole because of two reasons: money and wanting to shut up whinny people who were upset that rides were closed in the off season. And now its spreading to peak season, and affecting our vacations (not just because one of the best rides will be closed but also because we can expect longer lines at every MK attraction) and are a little upset about it.

Ian
04-06-2007, 08:55 AM
They do the vast majority of their rehabs during the off season. I can't see getting this worked up about the one time they're doing one over the summer.

My guess is they want it newly opened, bright and shiny for the Halloween season, which is why they're doing it when they are.

It's not realistic to think they can do every single rehab during off peak times. They're actually trying to do more to smooth out the peaks and valleys in their attendance. If they shut everything down during off peak times no one would come.

In regards to the cost portion of your post, I totally agree. These lengthy shutdowns never used to happen because they spent a lot of time after the park closed each night doing some of this routine stuff. To save money, I think they cut a lot of that after hours work out and now they just shut the ride down and take it offline for four months.

Victor Kelly
04-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Well, it has to be done. I have been to Disney when there were rehabs on my favorite attractions. But hey, they have to do the work sometime or other.

It is no use complaining that things need a lot of work done, then whine that it is happening when you are going.

Guess what people, there is always a time when somebody will be mad that maintenance is done on their vacation. If Disney listened to that, they would never get any work done.

Touchdown
04-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Guess what people, there is always a time when somebody will be mad that maintenance is done on their vacation. If Disney listened to that, they would never get any work done.

Which is what happened, so now they decided to close a high capacity ride for a 4 month refurb in which three of those months are the busisest three months of the year:thumbsup:.

My problem is that not only am I going to to have one of my favorites closed but I can expect much longer lines everywhere else. Everyone knows that the HM line ebbs and flows with the HoP crowd, where exactly are those people going to go now? Youre talking about probably an extra 15-30 min wait on ITASW, SM, BTMRR, CBJ, Peter Pan, and Philharmagic and in the summer when those lines are allready north of 30 min (and in most cases 60 min) midday you can see how its going to be terrible.

If the ride would have gone down sometime in January/Feburary when the orginal rumors had it tagged all of this could have been avoided, but Disney was too lazy and probably forgot the ramifications of this so this summer is going to be hell in Fantasy and Fronteirland.

DisneyDudet
04-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Well, the past few years I've been, there has NEVER been a line for HM: summer, christmas, jan... No lines.

I was in DL before the opening of the new POTC. That was in June. That was summer.. a headliner.. gone.. in the way smaller Disneyland. Crowds weren't affected.. I was.. I wanted to see it!

I've been at many times, and like the different times for different reasons.

I think that the complaining will come at any time. Its not like people who go in Sept are happy about rides closing down.

Just because its the summer doesn't mean it should be exempt from refurbs and such. They really have been doing a good job of making them throughout the year, being fair.

If you read, a lot of people are saying that the "off season" isn't too off anymore. Longer lines, more crowds, so really, it doesn't matter.

I honestly don't think it should matter when they do the rehabs, and no time of year should get special treatment. Just because someone wants to go in October for the Halloween festivities doesn't mean that we are any worse than those who go in the summer.

We do pay the same price to get into the parks as those in the summer. We should get the same treatment and opportunities.

I can't wait. I hope they at least spiff it up. The attic scene would be great, and so would a HM holiday. A gift shop, I can do without.

Touchdown
04-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Well, the past few years I've been, there has NEVER been a line for HM: summer, christmas, jan... No lines.

Even if that was true, are you aware of how many people can fit on that ride at one time? Whats your definatinon of no line (5 min wait, walk right in the door, walk right onto the doombuggy, etc)

I was in DL before the opening of the new POTC. That was in June. That was summer.. a headliner.. gone.. in the way smaller Disneyland. Crowds weren't affected.. I was.. I wanted to see it!

Thats not what I read from other people. Also POTC opened July 4th, which was early specifically becuase they were worried about park capacity.

I've been at many times, and like the different times for different reasons.

I think that the complaining will come at any time. Its not like people who go in Sept are happy about rides closing down.

Just because its the summer doesn't mean it should be exempt from refurbs and such. They really have been doing a good job of making them throughout the year, being fair.

As I said it used to be you had two choices:
Peak: Heavy Crowds, Expensive Hotel Rooms (lets expand beyond tickets,) long hours, no rehabs
Off: Light Crowds, Cheap Hotel Rooms, short hours, rehabs.

Looks like there was equal plusses and trade offs to either season. Ive been in the off season too, and didnt think it abnormal to have a lot of rides down for rehab, it happens and thats when it should be done.

If you read, a lot of people are saying that the "off season" isn't too off anymore. Longer lines, more crowds, so really, it doesn't matter.

While that may be true to some extent, there is a reason the parks are open much later in the summer, and it aint the late sunsets. There is still less people there during off times

I honestly don't think it should matter when they do the rehabs, and no time of year should get special treatment. Just because someone wants to go in October for the Halloween festivities doesn't mean that we are any worse than those who go in the summer.

So, when do the summer people get access to a special party, firework show and parade. P&P is only in late August (which is technically off peak) and there are Star Wars Weekends and the 4th, but nothing reaching the level of the Wine and Garden and Halloween partys/events. In October you have a bunch of festivals so all other things being equaled you are argueing that October people are more privlaged then Summer People (especially those swine that go during the busiest month of the year, July after the 4th they get a big fat wopping zero special events.)

DisneyDudet
04-07-2007, 11:21 AM
You may not have heard about the crowds at DL, but I was there. No wait for Indiana Jones, and the longest line was SM about 45 min? I would say it wasn't crowded.

And yes, I do know how many people can fit onto HM. And no wait would be, no wait.. walk into the stretch rooms... morning, afternoon, night.. didn't matter. Once they took FP away from HM, the crowds just weren't there. Not to say that there wasn't a wait at some point, but I never saw it, and I ride it multiple times each visit to MK, which turns into about 6-10 rides per trip, depending on how long my trip is.

So why are you complaining about not getting anything "special" in the summer? Fireworks every night? Long hours? More shows? Seasonal attractions running? So I guess the "smaller crowds", shorter hours, less nighttime shows means we also should have headliners down. Makes perfect sense.

I'm sorry that HM is going to be down in the summer. I go in the summer too. They have had things down in the summer, but its the chance you take when you go there. Everything they have printed says "rides and times are subject to change". I'm perfectly prepared to have a headliner down while I'm there, everyone should. Lots of rides shut down for problems in the middle of the day, it just happens. Take it as you go.

I wonder if there is a perfectly good reason why HM is down in the summer. Is there something that they're working on that requires them waiting?

Maybe they're doing something special that they will do a nice re-opening for the Halloween season. I still think a HM Holiday would be great. I never got to see the DL version, but my parents did and they said it was really cool.

I don't think they need a gift shop. Where would it go? I like the carriage and I hope that they don't take that away.

Would the do the pictures at the end or someplace that might be scary and get a funny picture like on Dinosaur? I think it would be cool if they did it at the end with the ghosts sitting in the doombuggies. I have a Photopass pic of us with our thumbs out and a ghost sitting on the carriage... we were hitchhiking!! I would like to see the technology for that.

Anywho, HM needs a refurb, no matter when it happens. Now, later, Halloween night.. who cares, as long as it looks good the next time you go. The attic scene would be a great addition. I was glad I got to see that after they were done w/ it at DL, otherwise two rides would have been down when I went. I didn't see it before they changed it, so I didn't have anything to compare it to, but this time, I would.

Lets just hope they don't change anything too much and fix up the problems.

Hayden's Dad
04-07-2007, 11:25 AM
We actually have the opportunity to go twice this year. Once this May and again in November so we get to see it before and after. I just hope they don't change it to much like they did the Tiki Tiki Room, just some new paint and dust would be nice.

AliceinDisney
04-07-2007, 12:04 PM
I just hope they don't take out the rubber spiders on the stairs. Those Rawk! hehehe I love those. I hope they don't change it tooo much, but they can get rid of the Goblin bride. She's majorly cheesy and was a bad choice over the no face glowing eyes bride who was effectivly the best bride they've ever had, why did they change it? I'll never know! I think they should stick in the gallery where the busts watch you as you walk down it like in DL. I have a feeling they'll just add in a dumb gift shop at the end,and fix up the Queue.

Touchdown
04-08-2007, 11:15 AM
^^^Fireworks every night as a perk??? Last time I checked the only night show that is not 365 days a year is Spectromagic, so its not too much of a perk.

I realize that at this poin the HM will be down this summer, but Im just argueing about how stupid it was for Disney to do so during the peak season, and how long term its a bad idea.

cetacean01
04-08-2007, 11:28 AM
I totally disagree. People like me and hundreds of others plan ahead, and we save up and spend a considerable amount of money on our Disney vacation.

We do this while we forego other vacation spots like Gatlinburg, beaches, or other parks. We do this with an expectation that with the good money we spend on these parks, that we will be able to see and do what we pay for, especially during the peak times of the year.

I don't see why they can't do some sort of round the clock work on it during the less busy times of the year when many of their patrons are in school, not at the parks.

:ditto:
Exactly........
Once again its called peak season because thats when most people can get there. There is still no reason why this couldnt have been done during the months when the parks are less busy. Or even better, at night when no one is there.

Touchdown
04-08-2007, 12:42 PM
^It is cost prohibitve to only have rehabs at night (think of all the set up and clean up they would have to do each night.)

Victor Kelly
04-08-2007, 12:58 PM
I'd personally like to see the magic shop right before the gates open back up. Since they closed the one on Main Street, there has been a definite lack of "ghostly happy horror" in my words. If you think about it, HM DID have a gift shop at one time. The last time I saw it open was the summer of 93.

They have to rehab the place sometime. Like I said before, I have been there when other big and small attractions have been closed. But having been going to Disney almost every year for 32 years, I understand the decisions that are made. I can truthfully say, I have been there everytime an attraction has been closed for refurb. Regardless of time of year and who may be missing something, the greater good dictates a ride's rehab.

HM needs it's rehab now. HM is the centerpiece of the Halloween party. Would I miss it and be dissappointed if I was going in that time span? Of course. But I also know I will be back again, and that what is being done is needed for one reason or another.

Bring back the Penny Arcade and Magic Shop on Mainstreet!!!!!

Touchdown
04-08-2007, 02:05 PM
People keep trying to make it an argument about people being upset that its closed during their time there, and its not what a lot of us are trying to say. Am I upset that I'm not going to be able to ride the HM this summer, yup, would I have been as upset if I went in February and it was closed, yup, would I have complained about it being closed in February on these boards, NO!

Ask yourself this question, ok. You have a classic and beloved attraction, that is extremely popular (when have you ever seen an empty doombuggy leave that loading area?) that quite frankly has been in desperate need of a rehab for quite some time. So, taking into consideration that the months of December, June, July and August are your busiest times of the year, and that this attraction is central to your Halloween party that occurs in September and October. When would you close the attraction for its needed four month rehab?

Exactly, the fact of this matter is that this rehab is not something that Disney just became aware of (in fact the original rumor had it beginning in late February-early March) but yet they decided to close it from June to September which outside of September-December close is perhaps the worst time to close the attraction.

Then you throw in the fact that the vast majority of the "once in a lifetime" people go and a vast majority of your "go every year" crowd (who would not mind the attraction being closed as much because they could always ride it next year) don't go and you have a decision that the PR dept should have shot down immediately after it was brought up. This ride should have been nearing the end of its rehab now, not going into one in 2 months, period.

DisneyDudet
04-08-2007, 02:17 PM
If they DID indeed to it after rumors started, it would still be, starting in March, which, for four months, would be closed for all the Spring Break crowds (which by a poster that was there, said they were closed d/t capacity in the parks), all the way through April, May and June... still summer. And if they started in April, there goes your July.

So really, maybe it came to their attention too late or there were other projects they were doing and couldn't swing it.

You would complain, just probably not as much as you are now.

Just because we go in off season occasionally doesn't mean we should be subject to rehabs and closed rides.

And yes, I've seen many an empty doombuggie leave the loading area. In the summer.

All I know is, Disney is a business. They run it as such. They do have to close it sometime, and we don't know the real reason they waited, but I'm sure they did think about how it would be closed in the summer, they aren't stupid. I bet there is a very good reason, and if you want to know it, write them, I'm sure they'd tell you something.

And yes, fireworks every night: Wishes will be shown every night in June, as well as Spectro, and two showings of Spectro on select nights.

When I'm there, Wishes is only twice. So yeah, I'd say its a great thing.. I know I like it when I go in the summer.

Touchdown
04-08-2007, 02:34 PM
^Having it closed part of the summer (even my part of the summer) and spring break is still better then the entire summer.

Also I honestly wouldnt have complained, last time I was there, Small World was closed for a year long rehab, even though I was there during the summer, I didnt complain because it needed to be done, and there was no way to avoid the peak season. In this case there was an ability to minimize the closure during the peak season but they seemed to have decided not to do it. If they were short a crew though my thought would have been to have done HM in the spring as opposed to El Rio/Grande Fiesta Tour, as much as I cant wait to ride Grande Fiesta Tour this summer I have to think this would not have disrupted guest flow as much as the HM (which every time I have gone, outside of E-Ride nights or at the beginning and end of the day has had some queue, which often would swell to full.)

Finally, correct me if Im wrong but I do believe that 365 days a year there is a firework show at the MK (might not be Wishes but one of their superior special shows,) Illuminations at Epcot and Fantasmic! at the MK, barring a rehab or weather, unlike DL where they can go close to a week inbetween firework shows. Looking at the schedule for October I see holes where there is no Wishes scheduled, but I cant find the page when the P&P or MNSHP schedule is. As someone who is hoping one day to go in October, this is an honest question not part of my argument stated in the past two paragraphs.

Victor Kelly
04-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Sweet Jesus, it is a ride ok. It needs repairs, ok?

Do what other people have had to do over the years, and deal with it. It will be there in the future, it will be there after it re-opens.

Sorry some of you just so always need to have everything open all the time. But Disney is a business. The parks need to be maintained, rides need to be maintained.

If something is down when I visit, whenever I visit, I deal with it and go see other stuff.

I am not being mean, I am pointing out that there is going to be disappointment in life. Sometimes it just happens when you go to Disney.

AND, I do not believe how much a person makes or how much they spend should dictate anything about someone's trip. No matter when we go, there are rehabs. It is unfair to say all rehabs should be done off season. Do you know what that very statement implies? Complete shutdown to do normal maintenance. I go in off season because I can get time off easier, and yes to save some money. If I save some money I can stay longer or buy more stuff.

Bottom line: Stop whining, deal with it, behave like an adult and just accept it.:mickey:

Soapbox vacated

mttafire
04-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Sweet Jesus, it is a ride ok. It needs repairs, ok?

Do what other people have had to do over the years, and deal with it. It will be there in the future, it will be there after it re-opens.

Sorry some of you just so always need to have everything open all the time. But Disney is a business. The parks need to be maintained, rides need to be maintained.

If something is down when I visit, whenever I visit, I deal with it and go see other stuff.

I am not being mean, I am pointing out that there is going to be disappointment in life. Sometimes it just happens when you go to Disney.

AND, I do not believe how much a person makes or how much they spend should dictate anything about someone's trip. No matter when we go, there are rehabs. It is unfair to say all rehabs should be done off season. Do you know what that very statement implies? Complete shutdown to do normal maintenance. I go in off season because I can get time off easier, and yes to save some money. If I save some money I can stay longer or buy more stuff.

Bottom line: Stop whining, deal with it, behave like an adult and just accept it.:mickey:

Soapbox vacated
WOW, YES 100% agreed:thumbsup:

Touchdown
04-08-2007, 04:55 PM
I really do give up, it is unfortunate that Im actually going this summer when it comes to my arguement because people are just going to pass it off as "oh hes mad because its going to be closed when hes going" when in fact I would be making the exact same argument even if I wasnt going.

Edit-As to "the whole park would have to shut down" philosophy I want you to name me one year round park that has closed an attraction for the entire summer season, and not have it be closed for at least 9 months. I cant think of one, at DL, UO, BGT, or the Sea Worlds.

cetacean01
04-08-2007, 05:51 PM
I really do give up, it is unfortunate that Im actually going this summer when it comes to my arguement because people are just going to pass it off as "oh hes mad because its going to be closed when hes going" when in fact I would be making the exact same argument even if I wasnt going.

Edit-As to "the whole park would have to shut down" philosophy I want you to name me one year round park that has closed an attraction for the entire summer season, and not have it be closed for at least 9 months. I cant think of one, at DL, UO, BGT, or the Sea Worlds.

I understand what you are saying and agree with you!
Its called peak season for a reason, and that is because that is when most families make it to WDW. If you go during off season then you expect refurbs, but not during peak season. Bottom line is they dropped the ball.

Having said that, yes its just a ride no body will die if they dont ride it. Lets just move on and hope they(Disney) changes their mind and decides that it is a mistake to close one of their most popular attractions during peak season over a gift shop!:ack:

Touchdown
04-08-2007, 06:02 PM
^Its not just a gift shop, the ride is in some desperate need of some major TLC (heck it was in some desperate need of some major TLC the last time I was there two years ago) and Im not mad at Disney for closing the ride for a rehab (because it desperatly needs it) Im upset at the timeing they choose, and the fact that they waited this long to fix the thing.

Also the only thing that is really bothering me is how people keep on brushing me off as one of those "I deserve the perfect vacation" people when Im questioning the timing of the closure.

disneykat
04-08-2007, 08:01 PM
When Disney announces that a ride will be refurbished do they ever open earlier than announced? We're leaving Disney on September 9th. . . from previous experience, does anyone know if we'll have a chance to experience the new and improved mansion?

mttafire
04-08-2007, 08:12 PM
The bottom line is Disney is refurbishing an attraction that needs it. Disneyland did an almost 2 year refurb on Spacemountain. The whole argument of "peak season" is off limits to refurbs is absurd. The "off" season isnt really that much off attendence wise. More and more folks are vacationing year round. Not just the traditional "summer" months. Look for more and more refurbs to be done year round in the future. In the end it will be a better attraction for all of us to enjoy.:mickey: AS for Disney changing it mind about this...NOT going to happen. The decision has been made. Disney cant please 100% of the people 100% of the time. ALOT of folks are happy that this refurb will be or "hopefully" done for Haloween. Almost everytime we visit Disney something is down for a refurb..No big deal we just have to skip it that time.

xoHelloKittyox
04-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Having said that, yes its just a ride no body will die if they dont ride it. Lets just move on and hope they(Disney) changes their mind and decides that it is a mistake to close one of their most popular attractions during peak season over a gift shop!:ack:

I know what you mean by no body will die while it's closed down lol. POTC was being refurbed last summer when I was there for graduation. It was SO hard to no ride it esp. since the POTC movies are my FAVORITE!
Also it was my friends first time ever being to WDW so not seeing that was hard

but you know what?!
Because HM will be down and POTC will be up this time...it gives us a reason to go this summer too ;)

As far as just closing it for a gift shop...I think that thats taking it a little to far. They do have merchandise outside of the HM on a cart. It was alot of Nightmare before christmas stuff and HM stuff. CUTE! :blush:
I think that the HM is in MUCH need of some TLC. When I was last there alot of the gouls didn't pop up, and alot of the voices didn't play and the music wasn't right. So basically we had a silent tour of the mansion.

I honestly can't wait to see what is going to be done :mickey:

PirateStitch
04-08-2007, 09:24 PM
I have to say I'm excited for the Refurbishment !!!! The Pirates ride last year came out great... This will be great especially just in time for MNSSHP

Touchdown
04-08-2007, 10:12 PM
I guess my main problem is that unlike Space Mountain, or Small World this is not a year/multi year process but a short 4 month rehab, done over not just part of (like POTC) but the entire summer. To me it just seems like a stupid move.

The other big thing I disagree with is this idea of "no peak season" anymore. I severely doubt that Disney will ever get to the point where everyday is like Christmas Week or the 4th of July where every room is full and parks close to capacity. I dont think thats feasable with the current population/economy. Ergo if they are going to start treating every season like its equal and abolishing long term practices of not having rehabs during the classic peak season, this is eventually going to cause them problems down the line. For when the word gets out to the public that there is no incentive to go during the summer (its hot, the prices are the most expensive, and there is special events.)* less people will come, and that could mean a time when Disney never fills every hotel room or fills to capacity and when that steam whistle ceases to exist, there will be accountants that (rightfully so) will say that WDW is too big for the current market and when that happens funds for new rides, the future fifth gate, and new resorts will dry up and we will see every part of WDW stagnate to the point where we will all look back at the MK during this time and not believe how new everything is.

The moment that you assume your customers are just going to show up, without any incentive to do so is the moment they stopped coming.

*Just to comment on the hours/shows thing. Disney has allways said in defending their earlier closing times/less shows that these decisions are made entirely on the amount of people expected to be at the park on a given day. Therefore, long hours and more shows are the tradeoff positive to having large throngs of people the day you visit the park and therefore can not be considered a perk of the summer but only a "perk" of being there on a crowded day.

Also, I realize the HM is closing this summer, there is nothing that can be done to change it, and writing a letter wont help (not that I would.) I also realize that this and every fan site has very little (and very close to no) bearing on what the company will do in the future. Im just trying to carry on a discussion about what I see as a major change in company policy amongst the community. I also look forward to seeing the changes the next time I go, and sincerely hope that in when I do get to go again that whatever they do to it allows it to still be running strong then.

Here we go again...
04-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Also the only thing that is really bothering me is how people keep on brushing me off as one of those "I deserve the perfect vacation" people when Im questioning the timing of the closure.

I have read every post on this thread and I do not see that anyone is saying that to you. Just like you, everyone has an opinion... you just seem to be taking the opinions of others as being directed at you.
The bad thing about a discussion board is that it is hard to understand the "feeling" behind the words so sometimes it sounds like people are being a little harsher (Is that a word?) than they intended the post to be.

Now, back to the original post....
I will be there the first week in July and I am a little disappionted with HM being closed. However, most of my trips have been in the off season and there were many rides closed. I can live with this... It just gives me a reason to have to plan another trip in October!!

mttafire
04-08-2007, 11:42 PM
I have read every post on this thread and I do not see that anyone is saying that to you. Just like you, everyone has an opinion... you just seem to be taking the opinions of others as being directed at you.
The bad thing about a discussion board is that it is hard to understand the "feeling" behind the words so sometimes it sounds like people are being a little harsher (Is that a word?) than they intended the post to be.

Now, back to the original post....
I will be there the first week in July and I am a little disappionted with HM being closed. However, most of my trips have been in the off season and there were many rides closed. I can live with this... It just gives me a reason to have to plan another trip in October!!

Agreed, I will add that we also almost ALWAYS visit in May or Sept. Something is usually down for rehab/seasonal closure. So what, It gives us the same reason to plan our next trip in a year or two.:mickey: Having an attraction closed is such a minor thing and it in NO way affects our trip and enjoyment. We are just plain happy to be in the "WORLD":mickey:

Touchdown
04-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Having an attraction closed is such a minor thing and it in NO way affects our trip and enjoyment. We are just plain happy to be in the "WORLD":mickey:

I completly agree with this.

MNNHFLTX
04-09-2007, 08:46 AM
I, too, was a little disappointed to hear that Haunted Mansion was going to be closed during our trip in June (although we might be able to see it on June 5th, our first day there). And I do think it is somewhat unusual for them to close a major MK attraction during the summer vacation season. Like many, I assume it is to allow them to have a "grand re-opening" just in time for the Halloween holiday period.

That said, wait times at some of the other attractions will probably be a bit longer (as you mentioned) so making the most of Fast Pass and Extra Magic Hours will be a necessity. :)

cinderella crazy
04-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Yes, there are technically two different seasons: peak season and off season. However, many of the "off season" months are now becoming more crowded due to MNSSHP, Food and Wine Festival, etc. The attendance isn't as high in July but there are more and more people coming during those off season months every year.

I don't understand why people are having a hard time grasping why Haunted Mansion is being refurbished when it is. It is "Haunted." It fits perfectly with MNSSHP. The reason they are doing it during the peak season has more to do with that than it does with them wanting to spread closing between the different seasons.

So why aren't people complaining about MNSSHP because IMHP that is the cause for timing of HM closing.

All that aside, HM NEEDS a rehab. I wouldn't care if they closed when I was going (whether it be during the peak or off season) because I know it will look so much better the next time I go.

Look at Small World. I love that ride and it was closed one time we went. I was dissapointed but knew it had to be done. The next time we went I was so excited to ride it. And when we walked up to the waiting area I was floored! And inside the attraction looks so much better.

So cheer up everyone! HM may be closed when you go but think of how excited you'll be when you get to ride it afterwards. It will be worth the wait!

mjaclyn
04-09-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't really like HM - I always skip it when I go to WDW.

castlelady36
04-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I have to say I am disappointed as well but only because my sister has never been to WDW and is going with us this summer and will not get to enjoy my favorite attraction but this gives my a reason to come back next year to see the new HM!!! Every year I tell my DH I have to go back because there is either something new or something updated!!!

jhunter
04-09-2007, 04:05 PM

I'll be there the 13-18. I hope there's no delays.

LoriMistress
04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure why so many people are getting upset or angry over Disney for taking the time to update an attraction that needs it. I had to wait almost 2 years for DLR to update Space Mountain and it was worth it!!! When DH and I finally rode it, it was AWESOME!!! I just hope that they actually update the SM at MK.

Ricbr
04-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Well that just stinks :(

I just got done telling my son last night how much he would enjoy the HM. I guess we have to have a little talk tonight. I seriously didnt know this was going to happen.

Does anyone know what we should expect when we go to the park around the HM area? I would really love to show my son the tombstones and the surrounding area around the mansion. How will they block the area off....will the stones be visable you think?

dyin tago
04-12-2007, 11:16 AM
wow! what a perfect time for refurbishment,should be all fresh for us when we go sept 9-19th:mickey:
any petitions will have to be counter petitioned by us september free dining people:)

seriously I feel for those missing it,It`s lousy when a favorite is closed during your big vacation.

GrmGrninGost
04-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Hey, these rides have to be refurbished sometime! You have to have HM open for the Halloween season! Oh, by the way, we arrive on Sept. 14, 2 days after it opens! We hope!:mickey: :mickey:

FireMickey
05-08-2007, 10:31 PM
I am so glad they are doing a rehab on the HM. It is one of my favorite rides! I can not wait to see it when it’s done. As for “timing”, you will never find a time that makes everyone happy. Last January we had an extended (12 people) magical gathering at WDW and the Rock ‘n’ Rollercoaster was closed. Disappointing, but necessary from time to time.

rdmtlm
08-29-2007, 07:22 PM
HM is my favorite and I did miss it on this last trip (july), but I'm really glad it is being maintained. I'm looking forward to seeing it after the refurb. My granddaughters were too scared to go in last year, but maybe when we get to go again, they will be ready to enjoy.

BTW, I didn't notice the lines at any other attractions seeming to be longer than usual.

WDWFREAK101
08-30-2007, 05:53 PM
The whole ride is getting a big face-lift!! Sort of like Pirates except bigger! They are doing something with the bride in the attic, something with the strecthing gallery and so much more. Imagine Splash Mounatin with all of the special effects that we have now. That is whay HM will be like. Not that im saying that Splash Mounatain needs a refurbishment, because it is a great ride. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THE NEW HAUNTED MANSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bertasso59
09-01-2007, 08:49 AM
We were planning a summer trip(this week in fact )but decided against it when I found that HM was going to be down.My DD only went to DW once and closed her eyes through most of HM but claims it's her favorite ride and promises to actually keep them open next time.Now we have to replan for another school vacation.

FalconeNJ
09-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Of all the rides I went on last year the Haunted Mansion really needed a refurb we stopped 4 times on the ride fo around 4 minutes each. Anxiuos to see how it works in December after the refurb.

mickeysworld
09-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Can anyone confirm the reopening date? Here on intercot it states:

"Haunted Mansion closed for refurbishment on June 6 and will reopen September 12, 2007. "

On Disney's website on the calendar page for September 12, operational updates, states the Haunted Mansion will be closed for refurb...

I just want to know if I need to change my Magic Kingdom day! TIA

DisneyDudet
09-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Disneyworld.com doesn't always have the most up to date information, as its not exactly run by Disney. Like, I just went, and it has no operational updates for September at Magic Kingdom, and I know thats not true, as HM is closed. I've been having problems with the site all day, so it could be they are trying to fix it all up.

I would go with what we say. Figment keeps us up to date. But I'm not sure why I thought that HM opened on the 13. Maybe I was mixed up too! On another site, it says it is closed THROUGH Sept 12, so, to me, that means it opens on the 13th. But Intercot says it will open the 12th.

I see where you can be confused! As of right now, I would just go on the 13th just to be safe, unless that really messes up your plans.

I'm sure Figment! will set us both straight!

BMan62
09-04-2007, 03:41 PM
September Operational Updates: Magic Kingdom (per Disneyworld.com)

* Astro Orbiter: Closed for Refurbishment [September 9, 2007 to September 22, 2007]
* Donald's Boat: Closed for Refurbishment [September 4, 2007 to September 18, 2007]
* Liberty Square Riverboat: Closed for Refurbishment [September 17, 2007 to September 20, 2007]
* Pooh's Playful Spot: Closed for Refurbishment [September 16, 2007 to September 20, 2007]
* The Haunted Mansion : Closed for Refurbishment [September 4, 2007 to September 12, 2007]

DisneyDudet
09-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Funny...

I've tried to check all day, and nothing is right! They say they don't have dates for Night of Joy or MNSSHP!

I guess you got lucky!

Still, is it open on the 12th or the 13th?

mickeysworld
09-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Funny...

I've tried to check all day, and nothing is right! They say they don't have dates for Night of Joy or MNSSHP!

I guess you got lucky!

Still, is it open on the 12th or the 13th?

I'm having the same issues as you DisneyDudet! and I'm still confused, 12th or 13th, I have no idea! :confused:

Figment!
09-04-2007, 10:15 PM
The current opening date is 13th.

The info Central listing was in need of an update, but now does reflect the current opening date.

DisneyDudet
09-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Oh, Jason, I knew you'd be along to help us all out! How appropriate that it is opening on the 13th!

Now if only Disneyworld.com would work...

Thanks, Jason!

mickeysworld
09-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Now if only Disneyworld.com would work...

Thanks, Jason!

:ditto:

allie_to_you
09-05-2007, 09:33 AM

So those of us who can't make it to Disney during the busiest parts of the year should be penalized by having all the needed refurbishments done?

During the off-season, quite a few attractions are already closed (They are considered seasonal) or they are under refurb. Yeah, it stinks that a bunch of people have to miss out on a favorite ride or 2 during the busy months, but there is hardly a month at Disney where someone doesn't have to miss something. Get over it and just be glad that there are tons of other attractions/shows, etc that you can do to fill up your time.

allie_to_you
09-05-2007, 09:35 AM
The whole ride is getting a big face-lift!! Sort of like Pirates except bigger! They are doing something with the bride in the attic, something with the strecthing gallery and so much more. Imagine Splash Mounatin with all of the special effects that we have now. That is whay HM will be like. Not that im saying that Splash Mounatain needs a refurbishment, because it is a great ride. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THE NEW HAUNTED MANSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've also heard according to some other discussion boards that they are adding a wheelchair accessible doom buggy (sort of like the accessible clam mobiles)

mickeysworld
09-05-2007, 11:05 AM
So now that I've decided to brave the morning EMH on the day of reopening, will the Haunted Mansion be open during morning EMHs? and is HM a fastpass attraction? TIA!

cal5755
09-05-2007, 10:24 PM

We are going the 14th - 21st and that is one of our families favorite rides too!! I can't wait to see the new and improved version!! We have a really great memory from the stretch room and I am so glad it will be opened for us!!

Figment!
09-05-2007, 11:21 PM
will the Haunted Mansion be open during morning EMHs? Nope, although it is on the Evening Extra Magic Hour operational list.

Operational attractions can be found in the Extra Magic Hours Program (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/park/extramagic.asp) section of INTERCOT info Central.

is HM a fastpass attraction? Nope.

Attractions on the FastPass system can be found in the Fastpass (http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/tickets/fastpass/default.asp) section of INTERCOT info Central.

DisneyDudet
09-05-2007, 11:32 PM
It used to be a fastpass attraction, but they stopped that a few years back.

HM is not open for morning EMH, but it is open for evening. I like riding it at night.. makes even more creepy!

I do believe that we've hashed rehashed the whole rehab in the "off season" way too much, so I'm not going to make my comment.

I just can't wait til I go for the first time in Oct!

DisneyDudet
09-06-2007, 02:22 PM
I just got this in my Disney Insider today:

Making the Haunts Even Happier

That old, creepy, uninhabited mansion -- you know, the one where you sometimes hear mysterious sounds and see eerie apparitions? I think something's going on up there. Ever since June, I seem to hear weird noises in the dead of night ... noises suspiciously like hammering and sawing. But none of the 999 permanent residents seem to be leaving the joint. Is it possible that that place is going to get even SPOOKIER?

That's right -- in case you haven't heard the news through the ghoulish grapevine, the Magic Kingdom Park's venerable Haunted Mansion is getting a facelift. New details are being added to reward sharp-eyed spookhunters, and some high-tech magic is being put to use to create old-fashioned thrills. Kathy Rogers, Senior Show Producer for the attraction, told us what to expect if you dare to venture through the doors of this most beloved attraction, which is slated to reopen this month.

"For several months, our team has been "illusioneering," making the invisible, visible," explains Kathy. "For example, a previously unseen wing of the Mansion has been revealed for the first time. Observant Guests will see more of the 999 happy haunts cavorting on a seemingly endless staircase leading to secret realms. Watch closely and you'll see evidence of these residents -- their glowing footprints, candles going out -- is it the wind or did someone blow them out? It's for you to decide. Other haunts reveal themselves in the mansion's infamous Corridor of Doors -- don't blink or you'll miss the clues!"

The Haunted Mansion is one of the Disney Theme Park attractions that have inspired legions of passionate fans. The last thing anyone wanted to do was to change the experience in a way that would disappoint Guests, and Kathy and her team were acutely aware of the necessity to "strengthen the story, and not change it." So in many cases they expanded on the lore that already existed -- as in Kathy's own favorite addition: "In the attic the long, sad tale of Constance on her wedding days finally comes to light. For almost 40 years, our Guests have come face to face with Constance the bride. Now it's time for them to meet her and her grooms face to face -- all five of them! They all loved Constance," she laughs. "In fact, you could say they lost their heads over her."

In addition to adding to the story, the Imagineers are taking advantage of some technological advances since the Mansion first saw the light of day. You won't be overwhelmed with high-tech bells and whistles that disturb the eerie atmosphere, but, Kathy promises, "Imagineers constantly look for new ways to combine compelling stories with new technologies. As we've worked to enhance Haunted Mansion, we've added a few surprises that may make the ghosts seem a little closer than before."

So whether it's your first visit to the Mansion or your hundredth, when Guests are allowed to enter that elegant but eerie house again, keep your eyes peeled. You never know when you'll stumble across the evidence of a haunt you haven't encountered before! And remember -- there's always room for one more.

I'll have to remember this and look for everything they talk about! The attic scene in the Disneyland version is so amazing. I can't wait!!! Oct 12!!!

TinkInTraining
09-07-2007, 10:52 AM
WOW! Who cares about the timing...this is worth the wait!

I can't wait to see the changes!

:thumbsup:

TINKERBELL_82
09-07-2007, 11:00 AM
I took the 14th off work to go check it out!!! DH is coming up after work that evening. :-)

I'm so excited!! :mickey: