PDA

View Full Version : How is I-95 for traveling?

cleblanc
03-08-2007, 11:10 AM
My husband and I are going to share the driving from CT to Disney. I do not like congested busy highways. I was wondering what 95 was like down to florida.

FatCat
03-08-2007, 11:38 AM
If flying is an option I always got great deals out of LGA.

I personally hate I-95.
With all the trucks I think it is one of the most dangerous routes in the country.

goofyfan4466
03-08-2007, 11:44 AM
my family and i have driven i-95 5 times.it is a busy crowded highway,but if you leave early enough to get thru washington dc before rush hour you will be fine.we leave about midnight friday night from outside phila.one tip is to checkout i-95 travel sites for weather & traffic updates.also take water & snacks so you only stop for bathroom breaks. have fun & don't fret it's a great drive.i had to cancel my last 2 trips to the world because i got hurt at work and i'm going thru roadtrip withdrawl !

Buttercup
03-08-2007, 11:57 AM
I've never liked I-95 - not because of traffic, but because there are long stretches without a rest-stop or gas station... or anything else for that matter.
It's kind-of out of your way, but I prefer the I-75... much more "tourist friendly".

King Triton
03-08-2007, 12:49 PM
I-95 can be a problem depending upon when you hit cities (Baltimore, Washington...). Once you get past Richmond, its a pretty clear shot...

GAN
03-08-2007, 12:58 PM
All true. But it beats taking US-1!

wjrhw
03-08-2007, 12:58 PM
On our last trip, we tried a route that I picked up here on Intercot. We took 81 to 77 to 26 to 95. It was so easy and the roads were much more enjoyable. I’ve taken 95 before and form now on this is the route I will take. I didn’t even need a map or Mapquest or anything. It was also quicker. It looks like it’s out of the way, but it is not.

Donald Duck
03-08-2007, 01:17 PM
You could take the Auto Train.
It leaves from Lorton, Va (just past DC) at 4pm and arrives in Sanford, FL (30 miles North of Disney) at 8:00 AM the next morning.
It will save you a lot of driving.

Lehman Family
03-08-2007, 01:33 PM
We've made the trip using I-95 a few times now and we like it better than flying. You have to time the traffic. We live about 3 to 4 hours from DC, so we leave around 4PM and we always hit there after rush hour. I agree that after Richmond it's a pretty easy shot. Because of where you're coming from I'd think that you're planning a rest along the way. If you can plan to get past Richmond you should have a pretty nice drive the second day (if that's how you're doing it). We find that driving through the night is definitely the easiest way to do it, but we usually have more than 2 drivers and don't live quite as far away as you do.

NJGIRL
03-08-2007, 02:30 PM
We drove down once after 9/11 from NJ. It was a piece of cake. As mentioned above the DC area is bad so plan your trip so you don't hit morning or afternoon rush hour. Other areas that were a little crowded but not bad were Delaware, Richmond VA, and Jacksonville FL. We bought an interstate book that lists all the exits and what is at each exit specfically. It listed restaurants, gas stations, restroom stops and hotels how far they were from the exit and in what direction. This was a very big help and I suggest that you pick up one. One note..Not too many stops in GA so make sure you stop at the last exit in SC for food and restrooms.

PrincessEmmasMommy
03-08-2007, 03:04 PM
My suggestion is to take 301 from Delaware Memorial Bridge to just above Richmond. We take this route and it cuts off both Baltimore and DC which are typically the big traffic places. If you want the specifics pm me. Good luck!
Jen

tigger24601
03-08-2007, 11:24 PM
i actually live in s. florida however we frequently travel to and from s. carolina. we take the turnpike half way up florida then switch over to 95 around jupiter.

but i'm posting this because on our last trip north alot of the construction in jacksonville was done so it's alot easier than it was still a little congested but nothing like it was. and fill up at the last exit in GA i think it's exit 5. the gas jumps once you cross the border.

McGoofy
03-09-2007, 12:51 AM
fill up at the last exit in GA i think it's exit 5. the gas jumps once you cross the border.

I was going to mention this as well except that it is exit #3--Kingsland/St.Mary's, GA. If you turn right when exiting (going south bound), there is a Raceway and a few other stations that are cheaper than those that you see if you turn left. The gas is anywhere from 10-20 cents cheaper than the gas stations when you cross the state line into Florida. We always fuel up there. Then, FYI, if this will get you to Disney, the Hess stations on Disney property are cheaper than stations off property.

We make the 6 1/2 hours Disney drive down I-95 about 4 times a year. We pick up I-95 near the very tiny town of Walterboro, SC. Here's some things that we have learned: The area between Harleyville, SC and Hilton Head, SC is patrolled very well by police officers. You will always see them in that area and they do not tolerate speeding!! We have learned to avoid Jacksonville, FL during rush hour. Also, we try to time it so that we are not entering Orlando during rush hour. Once passing Jacksonville, you will come into St. Augustine, FL. At the outlets on the left side (when you are driving south-bound), there is a Disney outlet store. We have picked up many cheap Disney souveniers there. (Once got a Pal-Mickey for $13.00 there!!) It's pot luck on what they will have in stock, but it is half the price of what the parks sell things for! Shortly past St. Augustine is Daytona Beach. This makes me smile because I know we are getting ready to hit I-4 and will be seeing Mickey in approximately 45 minutes!

Traffic is hit and miss depending on what time of day it is. We last went down the week of President's Day, and there were several cars on I-95 with New York tags. I later found out that the state had winter break that week. However, even though there seemed to be more cars than usual, the traffic flowed well. We left our home in Charleston, SC and made our trip in 6 hours and 15 minutes--arriving in time for our 2:25 lunch ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern!

Enjoy the drive!:mickey:

KevinJ
03-09-2007, 07:33 AM
We drove 95 from Virginia for the first 3 years. We left at night and arrived the next morning. Wasn't too bad at night but made the first day there rough. Coming back we drove during the day. Wasn't a car full of happy campers. Too many accidents one year and it took us 8 hours to get to Savannah, GA. We have flown ever since. Cost of flight vs. aggrivation and additional time impact was an easy choice for us.

ParrotheadMinni
03-09-2007, 08:39 AM
I have no vested interest in this site, but it is very helpful to us for restaurants, hotels, construction, exits, etc. We always drive I-95, getting on in Emporia, VA.
http://www.usastar.com/i95/homepage.htm

Be sure to take I-295 around Richmond VA, don't go through town.
Exits 95-97 in NC are good stopping places for the outlet mall and food. So is exit 5 in SC. I think I've heard about a better possible way around Jacksonville in the last couple of years. Maybe someone from that area can elaborate on that. You can also get off I-4 before Orlando and take a toll bypass around, which deposits you right at WDW. The absolute worst traffic of our last trip was 5pm Friday in Orlando!! So close, yet so far away!!!

If you don't like congestion, be sure DH drives the more northern parts. You'll do better between Richmond VA and J'ville FL.

CarolinaWDWFan
03-09-2007, 01:34 PM
:thumbsup: We are coming from South Carolina and I can give you a few tips from there:
1. Definitely make a pitstop in the Savannah area. Once you get south of Savannah, gas and rest areas are few and far between until you get close to Jacksonville.
2. I have met a little bit of congestion in Jacksonville where I-10 meets I-95. Try to time it to not be in that area at the morning rush hour. Evening rush hour is not too bad.
3. After St. Augustine until you get to the Daytona exits, the rest/gas areas are pretty infrequent, so take care of business, if necessary, before you hit this area.
4. Buy a Florida map. A few years ago, we got caught in a traffic jam on I-4 and needed to find a way around it. With the use of a map, we saved a couple of hours in stand still traffic.
5. I agree with the previous post of trying to time your drive through downtown Orlando around the rush hour times. This is a bottleneck during non-rush hour times and becomes even more congested during the peak hours.
6. Beware of I-95 traffic at anytime. We have had two trips where we were in stop and go traffic heading back to South Carolina. But, this was when some construction was going on south of Jacksonville and it has not been an issue over the past couple of years.

Have a great trip!

dogzrus
03-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Hey Wjrhw:

Is the alternate route really quicker. On a map it sounds out of the way. I would get on the PA turnpk at Wilow Grove or 95 at Newtown/Yardley. All said and done, I'm leaning towards the Harrisburg route.

r4kids
03-09-2007, 05:38 PM
We ALWAYS fly! I can't imagine driving 14-16 hours. It sounds like pure **** to me. Anyway we live 45 mintues from I-95. DH has to travel up and down this road several times a week. It is madness around this area. Lots of construction around Springfield,VA and there are so many big trucks. It can be really frighting. I really feel when all is said and done it may cost $100/$200 more to fly but I know there is no traffic in the sky. At least I hope not.:mickey:

homeschool mom
03-10-2007, 04:20 PM
We live just north of Allentown, PA and head down to I 95 every time we head to FL. Personally, I don't mind the drive at all and enjoy the road trip. If you can leave on a Saturday or Sunday it would be best. That way you avoid the rush hour traffic which can be a real bear around Baltimore and DC. Other than that, it is a great trip. We have driven it 8 times in the last 10 years and are going to do it again soon. In fact, we usually have such smooth sailing that we make it at least to Savannah, GA or Jacksonville, FL our first full day. This trip, after a stopover in MD (to drop the dog at Grandma's) we plan on getting as far as St. Augustine, FL. We're headed to the World again and will be there in 70 days! We can't wait.

Diane :mickey:

rockydek
03-10-2007, 05:03 PM
I also like the Auto Train. The ride to Lorton Va from CT is short. Hop on the Auto Train and relax and sleep while someone else does the driving. If you book 11 months in advance it is very reasonable. My car and 4 adults was only 780.00 round trip. Meals are included. The earlier you book. The less expensive it is.
www.amtrak.com
Check it out.:mickey:

McGoofy
04-09-2007, 01:41 PM
As much as it pained me, we turned our car toward the north on I-95 rather than heading south to Disney over spring break. We drove up I-95 to Washington DC. It was not a bad drive at all. I posted on this thread a few weeks ago and mentioned a good exit in Georgia. During this latest trip, on our way home to South Carolina, we stopped at a very nice exit in North Carolina, so I thought I would give you guys the details about that exit too. We were headed south, and this exit wasn't too far from the Virginia/North Carolina border. It is exit 173 in Roanoake Rapids, North Carolina. Much of the shopping/eating areas on the exit looked brand new, and there are still more places to come that are currently under construction. There were so many fast food restaurants to choose from...Chick-fil-A, Arby's, etc...all your typical things. There were also several sit down places including a Ci-Ci's buffet. (Now I know a pizza buffet is not the best thing to eat at while you are sitting in the car traveling, but it sure is good--and cheap!!) My favorite thing on the exit was the Starbucks. And FYI...there are not too many Starbucks off of I-95 once you get south out of North Carolina. Get it there while you can!! Anyway, I hope somebody finds this useful. I saved my receipt from our stop there just so I would remember to post about it! :mickey:

vamaggie
04-09-2007, 02:56 PM
A few comments about the DC area portion of your drive: traffic is almost always crowded on I95 (much worse during rush hours:5am-10am and 3pm-7pm) but generally never good) and expect DC area commuter traffic til at least Fredericksburg VA. We live in NO VA and try to avoid I95 until we can get below Fredericksburg. Also, even though the auto train leaves Lorton at 4pm, you need to get there WAY WAY ahead of time. Check the amtrak info but I have had friends who have said it takes a really long time to check and load all the cars and you need to be there early. I would vote for flying if you can (even if you have to drive to an airport outside the NY/CT area to get decent fare)

'Guest' of the MasterControlProgram
04-09-2007, 11:56 PM
I have only driven to CT once, but I guess you'll be on the NJ Turnpike for a little bit if you take I-95. Exit 11 is the interchange with the Garden State Parkway and if you take it south to the end in Cape May then you'll wind up at the Cape May (NJ) - Lewes (DE) Ferry. We always take it to WDW. A little over an hour an you're in DE on US9 which you take to the end at US13. Hmm... now that I think about it, maybe you could pick up US 13 near Philly... anyhow...

We like the drive and I enjoy the Chesapeake Bay-Bridge Tunnel. By the time you cross and are in the Virginia Beach - Norfolk area you are well south of DC and Richmond. Just take US58 'til you hit I-95 (and that's close to 10 miles from the NC border).

Well, it's a suggestion. :mickey:

disneyjo-91
04-10-2007, 12:18 AM
I drive to orlando from CT 2 sometimes 3 times a year and HATE going the I-95 route.. we take 84W to 81S to 77S to 26E to 95S... It is a much much much nicer drive... and I personally think much safer as well... It is a pretty view and it only took us 18hrs to get there !! :mickey:

slt21
04-10-2007, 01:34 AM
The best piece of advice I can give you is to avoid major cities during rush hours (morning and evening). I lived in Jacksonville for years, and my family practically lived on I-95 we drove it so often (on that note, a word of warning: Jacksonville's evening "rush hour" is about from 4-7pm, but the peak time is from 5-6).

Oh, and don't be afraid to take breaks (you can go to Shoney's and have an okay sit-down meal in not much more time than it takes to have a hectic "meal" at Mickey Ds, and you'll feel more energized and probably get better food). A biggie: DON'T push yourselves too hard; if all of the drivers are too tired, just get a hotel for the night (or at least a few hours: you don't even have to stay a full night, just long enough for everyone to get some Zzzs). If you're too fatigued, you'll lose awareness to a dangerous point, and may even fall asleep at the wheel. I know it's tough to add extra time to your journey, but you'll enjoy your vacation even if it's a bit shorter. You won't, however, get much enjoyment if you get into a car crash on the trip down.

I-95 isn't exactly the safest road in the world, but as long as you stay alert then you'll be fine.

So, pack up some good music, plenty of coffee and snacks, and have a safe and good trip!

big blue and hairy
04-10-2007, 07:38 AM
:
I agree with the previous post of trying to time your drive through downtown Orlando around the rush hour times. This is a bottleneck during non-rush hour times and becomes even more congested during the peak hours.

My suggestion is to forget I-4 for through Orlando. Try Fla 417 from Sanford, right to Osceola Pkwy. It's a toll road, and well worth it!

:sulley: