PDA

View Full Version : Cooking with INTERCOT (March 2007)

disneydrmr
03-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Another new month. This year is going by quite quickly I think. So, is everyone ready to share some more recipes and cooking hints/advice? Got any good recipes for St. Patrick's Day? Let's start cooking!!! :chef:

JanetMegan
03-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Here's a new one to kick the month off...

I haven't tried it yet but I am going to next week and my mom says it's GREAT!

Crock Pot Brunswick Stew

(note a couple of these brands of ingredients are local so substitue as you need to...)

-1 ea. 10 oz can Castleberry BBQ Beef
-1 ea. 10 oz can Castleberry BBQ Pork
-2 ea. 5-6 oz cans of Swanson chicken (chunk it up with a fork before adding.)
-1 ea. 15 oz can of creamed corn
-1 ea. 15 oz can whole kenel corn (drained)
2 ea. cans 16 oz diced or crushed tomatoes (do not drain)
-1 large onion chopped
-1 tablespoon brown sugar
-1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
-1 tablespoon BBQ sauce
-a couple drops of tabasco or hot sauce

(I am also going to add some diced frozen potatoes)

Mix everything in your crock pot and cook 8-10 hours on low!

disneydrmr
03-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Ohhh... thanks Janet! I was actually looking for a crock pot recipe for Sunday (to cook while I"m at church) and this one sounds yummy! Do you know how many it serves? I wanted to invite another couple over.

JanetMegan
03-01-2007, 10:00 AM
If I were you, I'd double it and then you'd feed without being worried plus have some leftovers for the week!!

MsMin
03-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Don't know if the Irish will object but we fry our cabbage. First you boil it, drain it well then pan fry it in olive oil. --It's the only way our kids eat cabbage.

How about St. Joseph's day recipes? My gAunt used to make the best fig cookies and I lost the recipe ages ago :(. She passed away last Nov. She would stuff them w/ chocolate and orange bits. Anyone do or go to a St. Joseph Alter?

BrerSchultzy
03-01-2007, 10:16 AM
My St. Patty's Recipe

Beer Potato Soup

2 T butter
1 tsp. garlic
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 stalk diced celery
6 cups boiled diced potatoes
32 ounces beer (light in color)
1 T sugar
1 T chicken bouillon
64 oz. chicken stock
roux to thicken (I just get the store-bought dark roux at Whole Foods)
4 cups cream
salt and pepper to taste

Serves 10 or more

Sauté garlic in butter for 1 minute, add vegetables and saute for 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add potatoes and beer and bring to a boil. Mash potatoes against sides of pot. Add sugar, stock, bouillon and salt and pepper. Add roux until thick. Add cream, stir and serve.

I found this online a couple of years ago and tried it...So very very good. The key is to make sure that the beer you use is a lighter color beer...our personal favorite is Newcastle...but I hear Heineken or Beck's works well too. As for the roux...I have no skills in making them, so I buy them. It doesn't take as much as I thought, and it isn't even the most important thing in the world, but I do like the thickness it brings.

BrerSchultzy
03-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Oh, and as for my office breakfast, I'm going with:

Classic Tennessee Sausage Balls
1 lb. hot sausage
1 lb. mild sausage
12 oz. sharp cheese (softened)
12 oz. mellow cheese (softened)
4 cups Bisquick
Mix all ingredients. Roll into small balls. Place on cookie sheets. Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes, or until done (depends upon the size).

AND

That Tang salad that Diane told me about last month.

AND

EASY BREAKFAST COFFEE CAKE

1 pkg. dinner rolls (24)
1 pkg. powdered butterscotch pudding (regular)
1 t. cinnamon (but more doesn't hurt)
1 c. brown sugar

Combine sugar, cinnamon, and pudding and set aside. Grease bundt pan and place rolls on bottom and sprinkle sugar mixture over top. Cover with foil and let stand over night.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Still thinking of something else...maybe a hash brown casserole or something. I know it seems kinda crazy to go to all this, but this is a very serious competition. And victory will be mine! (with a lot of help from Diane!)

JanetMegan
03-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Oh man someone posted a good one for potatoes a couple months ago called "That Potato Dish" Search for it...

disneydrmr
03-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Ok, here is a recipe that I just made the other night and it was quite good. It's called "Wagon Wheel Supper"

1/2 pound uncooked wagon wheel pasta (I used Penne pasta cause I couldn't find wagon wheel)

1 pound ground beef

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 3/4 cups water

1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed tomato soup, undiluted

1 can (8 3/4 oz) whole kernel corn, drained

1 envelope spaghetti sauce mix

1/8 teaspoon pepper

4 oz sliced colby cheese (I actually used 8oz shredded colby cheese - cause I like things cheesy and the shredded melts quicker and easier than slices does I think)

Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium high heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.

Stir in the water, soup, corn, spaghetti sauce mix and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.

Drain pasta and stir into beef mixture. Top with the cheese; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

disneydrmr
03-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Here's a new one to kick the month off...

I haven't tried it yet but I am going to next week and my mom says it's GREAT!

Crock Pot Brunswick Stew

(note a couple of these brands of ingredients are local so substitue as you need to...)

-1 ea. 10 oz can Castleberry BBQ Beef
-1 ea. 10 oz can Castleberry BBQ Pork
-2 ea. 5-6 oz cans of Swanson chicken (chunk it up with a fork before adding.)
-1 ea. 15 oz can of creamed corn
-1 ea. 15 oz can whole kenel corn (drained)
2 ea. cans 16 oz diced or crushed tomatoes (do not drain)
-1 large onion chopped
-1 tablespoon brown sugar
-1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
-1 tablespoon BBQ sauce
-a couple drops of tabasco or hot sauce

(I am also going to add some diced frozen potatoes)

Mix everything in your crock pot and cook 8-10 hours on low!

Ok, I made this yesterday.. I did have to do some subs. Couldn't find the Castleberry BBQ stuff - so I bought Lloyd's BBQ Shredded Pork and Lloyd's BBQ Shredded Beef in tubs. I did add some frozed diced potatoes also and it was YUMMY!!!!!! The house smelled great as it was cooking. Made some corn muffins to go with it! We'll be eating leftovers tonight for dinner! YUMMY!!!!

JanetMegan
03-05-2007, 10:26 AM
So glad you liked it. My mom lives in Phoenix and she has to use the tubs too! I'm making mine tomorrow with cheddar jalepeno cornbread to go with!

Alligirl
03-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Hello!!
I am wondering if anyone knows of a sweet potato cookie recipe?! My Girl scout troop made these several years ago for "International Night" my kids loved them I made them a number of times but I misplaced the recipe.:( Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
~Allison

disneydrmr
03-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Hello!!
I am wondering if anyone knows of a sweet potato cookie recipe?! My Girl scout troop made these several years ago for "International Night" my kids loved them I made them a number of times but I misplaced the recipe.:( Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
~Allison

Hi Allison - here's one I found on the internet.. so I'm not sure what they taste like or if it's like the one you made...

Ingredients
3/4 cup salted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup finely shredded uncooked sweet potato
3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

Hardware
Whisk
Large bowl
Medium bowl
Cookie sheets
Mixer

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Step 2: Lightly grease cookie sheets; set aside.
Step 3: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg; set aside.
Step 4: In a large bowl, with an electric mixer set on medium-high cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar for 30 seconds.
Step 5: Beat in the egg, sweet potato, and orange juice concentrate.
Step 6: Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture; combine well.
Step 7: Stir in the oats, butterscotch chips, coconut, and chopped pecans.
Step 8: Drop by teaspoons 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
Step 9: Bake for 14-16 minutes or until firm. Immediately transfer cookies to a cooling surface.

Makes about 76 cookies.

DVC2004
03-07-2007, 03:55 PM
I love variety and to try new things when eating and cooking. My hubby though insists I make the same item once per week- pork chops. He even calls it Pork Chop Night( which this week falls on tonight coincidentally). I don't know how someone could want to eat the same thing all the time!;) I try to make it different ways, too, but he prefers them the Shake N Bake way. Can't wait until it gets warm enough to grill again. Anything you are forced to make for your family week after week?

ldn324
03-12-2007, 03:32 PM
DH and I are both off to a good start to a healthier lifestyle this year. We both take exercise class (Pilates for me and Tai Chi for DH) and one of my employers gave me a free gym membership for the year so that’s helping a lot too. My food goals for the year are to get further away from meat (for dietary and personal reasons) and eat predominately veggies, fruits and occasionally seafood. I’m also cutting back on fat, calories and bad carbs (bread, rice, etc.)

Here’s the dilemma – I love steamed broccoli. I could eat it with every meal. But, I really, really like cheese sauce on it. DH eats it with balsamic vinegar instead and I’ve tried it, but just didn’t care for it that way. I’ve also tried it with just spray butter and seasonings and still too bland for me. Anyone have ideas on something that might give me the feeling of the cheese sauce, but without all of that extra fat? I’ve tried making the sauce with low-fat cheese, but it just doesn’t melt the same. I’m thinking there may be a salad dressing or other variation of a sauce that might go well with broccoli. Anyone have suggestions?

offwego
03-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Well there are not a lot of things that have mouth feel like cheese sauce that are low fat. But you could try low fat cream cheese for some of the cheese.

Also try it with some garlic you could stir fry it this way.

Or what about a low fat ranch dressing to dip it in?

or instead of cheese sauce a small sprinkle of grated cheese allowing you to just have the cheese instead of the flour/butter etc that goes in the sauce?

DMApixie
03-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I have had broccoli with a shake of parmesan cheese, no butter...and it was surprisingly very good. Gave it a light cheesy taste without all the fat.

BrerGnat
03-12-2007, 05:01 PM
My DH sprinkles grated parmesan cheese on steamed broccoli all the time! He loves it. I just like mine plain. :)

Parmesan is a good cheese to have...lower in fat and packs quite a bang in the flavor department with less needed.

Jeri Lynn
03-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Would anyone have any good recipes for Scallops, preferably lower calorie recipes?
Thanks!

offwego
03-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Would anyone have any good recipes for Scallops, preferably lower calorie recipes?
Thanks!

If you grill them you could just brush the scallops with a little olive oil and OJ mixed together (half and half) serve with rice..

JanetMegan
03-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I also like them with lime juice, soy sauce type mixed together an brushed on for the grill.

I also have done it where I tossed them in a mix of bread crumbs and parm cheese and then baked them in a corning ware type dish.

kingkong
03-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Here's my recipe for a wonderful pulled pork bbq you can make in your oven. It isn't as good as "real" Q that you get out in N. Carolina or Memphis, but for those of us living on the West Coast, we don't really have another choice.

Get one pork butt or "picnic ham" Probably 8-12 pounds.

Mix up:

1/2 cup salt
3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dried sage
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Rub it all over the meat. Really grind it in, and pack it on. Cover in a bowl and refrigerate at least overnight, 24 hours is fine too.

Cook at 250 degrees (yes, 250 not 350) for 10-12 hours.

Let it rest for 20-30 minutes, and warm up a pot of your favorite BBQ sauce.

Then shred the meat using 2 forks. Mix in just enough warm sauce to wet everything, but don't make it all gloppy. I like using Cattleman's BBQ sauce, they started selling it in the local grocery stores. I also prefer to serve it on the cheapest white hamburger buns I can find, to keep it honkey-tonk.

ldn324
03-19-2007, 04:43 PM
One of my goals for this year is to become more of a vegetarian. I'm trying to limit myself to only seafood as my non-veggie choice for the moment, then slowly wean myself from it to only veggie. I would love to incorporate more tofu into my diet, but I'm at a loss for what to do with it. We've done stir fry, but I'm hoping to find some more interesting ways to cook tofu. Anyone have some recipes or cooking techniques to share? I'd appreciate any ideas. Generally, I like almost any taste and nothing is too spicy for me! Thanks!!

disneydrmr
03-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm so sorry I haven't checked this thread for a bit.. Tofu recipes.. well, I personally don't eat it. But I did find this recipe by Cat Cora (she's one of the Iron Chefs on Food Network)

Painter's Palate Couscous and Peanut Encrusted Tofu

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cremini mushroom cap
1 (10-ounce) box couscous
1 radish
1 tablespoon Chinese mustard
1 tablespoon sweet and sour sauce
1 tablespoon duck sauce
1 tablespoon Szechuan sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
Salt and pepper
4 asparagus, blanched
1 (1-inch thick) slice firm tofu
2 tablespoons finely chopped roasted and salted peanuts

In a small saute pan heat the olive oil and sear the mushroom on medium high heat until cooked through, but still firm, about 3 minutes per side. In a small pot follow the directions for the couscous and set aside. Once the couscous is done, form the couscous into a painter's "palate". Cut the radish in 1/2 and use as the eye of pallet. Use the sauces to represent paints and the asparagus as brushes. The mushroom can hold the mustard as a painter's cup. Apply the chopped peanuts to the edges of the tofu, using water to make them stick if necessary. Place the tofu next to the couscous. Enjoy!

January-2007
03-21-2007, 12:54 PM
We eat tons of tofu. I put some butter and oil in my Dutch oven and fry the tofu until it's crisp and lightly brown, adding salt and pepper as I cook. Then I remove the tofu from the pan and keep it warm while I stir fry some plain old spaghetti noodles in the butter left in the pan. I add some cooked brocolli and cut up carrots, sprinkle on some garlic salt (or even just garlic powder, taste it) and more pepper, and we're good to go. Sometimes I use the refridgerated minced garlic, but you have to use a lot of it to get the flavor strong for such a big dish, so I like to use the garlic salt, it has a great flavor. Last time I used pasta that I had cooked for another dinner that was left over. I took it out of the fridge and right in the hot pan, couldn't have been easier.

Another thing that's really good when made with tofu is curry. Trader Joe's has a curry sauce that is so easy. Mix it with water, cut some tofu up, simmer for a little while, make rice or cous cous, and dinner is served. Lickity split.

For a while there, we were having tofu 3 times a week... I make it really simple. It's good in fried rice, too. Have fun with it, you can do practically anything with the stuff! We like extra firm tofu. Holds its shape well.

DVC2004
03-23-2007, 02:59 PM
I have some frozen lobster tails. I don't usually prepare seafood at home due to the fact we are out here in the midwest and it's not the freshest. What is the best way to cook these- broil? Grill? I made some last summer on a cedar plank on my grill and they were pretty good that way. Any tips to share?

MsMin
03-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Just be careful not to let them dry out when you cook them. Overcooking seafood will make them tough and chewy. If you put them on the grill w/ a little garlic, lemon and butter or your favorite herbs and spices keep it basted. Some tails cook in about 10 min. It varies so much w/ the size of the tail.
Remember that the tail is no longer translucent when cooked.

DVC2004
03-29-2007, 12:30 PM
Just be careful not to let them dry out when you cook them. Overcooking seafood will make them tough and chewy. If you put them on the grill w/ a little garlic, lemon and butter or your favorite herbs and spices keep it basted. Some tails cook in about 10 min. It varies so much w/ the size of the tail.
Remember that the tail is no longer translucent when cooked.

Thanks for the tips. Overcooking is a tough one fore me, especially with seafood because I prepare it so infrequently. I'll try it on the grill.

JikoMarie
03-30-2007, 03:46 PM
I would love to incorporate more tofu into my diet, but I'm at a loss for what to do with it.

You can do almost anything with tofu. If you can imagine it, you can do it. If you weren't going vegetarian I would suggest hot and sour soup, especially since you like spicy. I'm sure you could always make it with more tofu instead of chicken and pork. I don't have a recipe off the top of my head though.

disneydrmr
03-30-2007, 03:52 PM
You can do almost anything with tofu. If you can imagine it, you can do it. If you weren't going vegetarian I would suggest hot and sour soup, especially since you like spicy. I'm sure you could always make it with more tofu instead of chicken and pork. I don't have a recipe off the top of my head though.

Welcome to Intercot and to Cooking with Intercot! :welcome: Hope you stop in often!

MsMin
03-30-2007, 05:47 PM
When I think tofu I think of Hot and Sour soup but I don't know how the lack of pork will affect the taste.
Here is my recipe for it.

1/4 lb. Pork cut into strips
8 oz bamboo shoots sliced
1small jar black mushrooms
1 sm pack sliced mushrooms
½ cup cold water
1 cup soy sauce
2 tbl cornstarch
3 tbl red wine vinegar
2 shallots diagonally sliced
Pack stripped firm tofu
5 c stock or 2 bouillon cubes
Sesame oil to taste
1 egg mixed
Chili oil to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Cut pork into thin strips, marinate in tsp. Soy sauce and 1 tsp cornstarch. In a 5 quart dutch oven boil soup stock then add pork. Lower heat and add in the bamboo shoots, mushrooms, vinegar, and cayenne. Combine cold water and cornstarch and gently pour into soup, add soy sauce to taste. As the soup thickens drip in the mixed egg, stir to make the egg fine shreds. Add tofu and heat the soup until hot. Serve in small soup bowls and top with the shallots. Add hot chili oil to taste.