PDA

View Full Version : Hershey, PA - chearp, clean hotel?

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-07-2007, 03:02 PM
Hello all again,

We are planning an overnight stop in Hershey, PA, to do some of the activities, and to break up the drive from Toronto to Virgina.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice, cheap hotel, not too far away?

We don't need anything fancy, since it is just one night, and we'll really just be sleeping, but I want something clean and safe.

Thanks for your help!

NJGIRL
03-07-2007, 04:42 PM
We have been to Hershy a few times but have always stayed onsite which was on the expensive side. The hotel was nice but not outstanding (for what it cost). Hershy Park is another nice clean park. You won't be dissappointed. Alot of fun rides. The chocolate factory tour and store is nice also.

thrillme
03-07-2007, 05:34 PM
Are there any benefits to staying on-site at Hershey?

NJGIRL
03-08-2007, 10:22 AM

I don't remember any to tell you the truth. There may be a shuttle bus but we had a car. It's very close to the theme park but other than that I would say no.

princessesmom
03-08-2007, 02:48 PM
We spent 3 nights at Hershey in July 2005 and stayed at the Springhill Suites (Marriott). It was just down the road from the entrance to the park. We have 4 children, so this was an economical choice for us, since 1 room has sleeping space for 6. Breakfast was included, and pretty good. If you only need space for 4 or less, you can probably get something less expensive.

If you stay on site at Hershey, they do have shuttle service and you get into the park 1 hour before opening. Only a couple of portions are open early, but it is still a nice perk.

WDWFanatic
03-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I did see the Travel Channel is going to re-run there special about Hershey soon.

Have a great trip.

Spartan_Jeff
03-09-2007, 05:19 AM
We stayed at a really nice Best Western just a couple miles up the highway. Room had a nice fireplace and it was around 80 bucks a night. As soon as I can remember the exact location I will post it.

HereWeGoAgain!
03-12-2007, 04:58 PM
We go to Hershey on our Disney "off" years and we always stay at a small, family owned motel called The White Rose Motel...

They are minutes away from Hershey, they are located right off the main highway.

This place was just right for us - clean, inground pool, CLEAN & comfortable room with great, comfy beds and a VERY attentive staff - they own the place so they want to make sure you are happy!

It's not a commercial chain, which is what we liked about it.

We went in the thick of the Summer (July) and paid around 100 bucks per night.

We have also tried the chain hotels and found them to be not very well kept (IMHO) as far as cleanliness goes. As far as the on-site Hershey Hotel and Inn - these are extremely OVER PRICED accomodations which repeatedly get very mixed reviews - a friend of ours reported that his families room at the Hershey Hotel had a moldy odor and was completely out-dated and he paid close to $350 per night! EEEEK!

A good place to see reviews is tripadvisor - they will give you the good the bad and the ugly of all hotels/motels in the area!

tinksmom02
03-12-2007, 08:36 PM

If I remember correctly, you get into the park an hour early, and you have the opportunity to book a character breakfast (additional cost).

We've been for a weekend the past two yeatrs, and are planning our visit for this summer as well. We booked the Hershey Lodge the first year (very expensive, but nice), because we thought that would be a one time trip.

Last year we booked at the Best Western Hershey, literally across the street from the Lodge, just as nice and the Lodge, and about half the price (the lodge gives you chocolate bars when you check in, and housekeeping leaves them for you, too, which is a perk BW doesn't share. You'll probably be buying tons at Chocolate World, anyway!)

Oh, the BW has a zero-entry pool, too, but DH says the Lodge might, too...

Clay Ransone
03-13-2007, 12:27 PM
We go to Hershey on our Disney "off" years and we always stay at a small, family owned motel called The White Rose Motel...

Here is some more love for The White Rose. That is my official hockey road trip motel when I make it to Hershey. The place is clean and the staff is wonderful. They are right on Chocolate Ave. about five minutes from the Hershey Park/Chocolate World/Giant Center area. They also have pretty good cable television for a motel (my last visit it was pretty similar to basic cable not the ten or 15 channels you get at a Marriott). If you do stay there check out the Gingerbread Man for dinner. It's a few minutes from the motel. The phone number is 717-533-9876.

HereWeGoAgain!
03-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Clay Ransone
Here is some more love for The White Rose.

So glad you feel the same way! Thanks for giving better directions ....

Another super place to eat is the Country Faire Restaurant located just down the road from the motel (the staff at White Rose can give you better directions than I...)

We ate breakfast and dinner here and enjoyed every meal - the portions are huge and the service is impeccable, the restaurant itself is SPOTLESS... give it a try! Enjoy:thumbsup:

MindyMouse
03-21-2007, 01:38 PM
There is a Hilton Garden not too far from the park. It's just off of HersheyPark Drive. I would think that it's very nice. We live too close to stay (about 30 min) in a hotel, so I can't say for sure.

If you're looking for a beautiful hotel and are willing to spend some cash, look into the Hotel Hershey! Have a chocolate spa treatment while you are there!

tinksmom02
03-21-2007, 09:42 PM
If you're looking for a beautiful hotel and are willing to spend some cash, look into the Hotel Hershey! Have a chocolate spa treatment while you are there!

I second the spa!! I treated myself to a belated Mother's Day gift on our first trip...I visited the spa for a sugar scrub and a chocolate body wrap--absolutely fantastic!! Expensive, but worth every penny!

Goofy Pluto
03-28-2007, 04:34 PM
We live about 2 hours from Hershey and go every year around Christmas (Fun time to go!) and some times in the late spring. We've stayed at a few places. One place we really like was a place call, I think, Spinners Hotel/Motel. Not too expensive, free continental breakfast (although that's not really all that special), and nice rooms. We liked it, but we're not all that picky and are usually looking just for inexpensive.

Good luck!

BabyBun
04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
We go to Hershey every year and always stay at the Hampton Inn in Grantville. It is about 6 miles from the park but it is a quiet, easy ride to get there. This Hampton is cheaper than the one in Hershey itself and is beautiful. It has a nice indoor pool and a great breakfast.

Dream'nDisney
04-30-2007, 05:51 PM
We stayed at the Hershey Lodge (not the Hershey Hotel). It was less expensive. We also used our AAA and got a discount. You get a discount on the theme park tickets plus you get a coupon booklet that saves you money on attractions. With the convenience of using the free shuttle plus the other discounts, it was well worth staying at the Hershey Lodge at the AAA rate. In fact, I think it ended up being cheaper than staying "off property." Happy planning. We had a blast there. :thumbsup:

gueli
05-02-2007, 03:15 AM
Depending on your route- the is a best western near route 81 (near harrisburg). When we went down to VA, we stayed there on our way back.
you can check best western's web site. Their hotels are always clean & simple, and safe. The one we stayed at had an indoor pool, so it was nice to take a swim after a long day on the road. The cost was around $80.
:mickey: