PDA

View Full Version : Myrtle Beach or Panama City or Pensacola?

DVC2004
03-07-2007, 01:14 PM
We are looking for a short (3 day) beach trip this summer. Each of these three destinations are about equally as far a drive for us and we've never been to any. If you've been to any would you recommend? We are looking to lounge on the beach but we also would like some attractions near- minigolf, restaurants, etc. Right now I am leaning towards Myrtle Beach. Also where to stay? We would consider hotels, condos and even possibly an RV resort. All info welcome!

CleveSJM
03-07-2007, 01:28 PM
I'd go with Myrtle. Tons of stuff to do. I'd stay toward North Myrtle. We really like Ocean Creek Resort condos. Right across the street from Barefoot Landing...

You'll love it.

krose78
03-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I may be biased but I will agree that myrtle beach is great. Tons of stuff to do. Great restaurants and great shopping. If you want RV camping Ocean Lakes Campground is great, right on the ocean.

d_m_n_n
03-07-2007, 03:43 PM
I guess I'm the odd man out, but I suggest either of the FL locations, mostly Panama City (since you mentioned summertime and not spring break! :blush: ). My sister lived in both cities so we spent quite a bit of time at each. PC has a lot of fun things to do but the #1 thing you can't beat is the white sand of the gulf! :cloud9:

Advnt05
03-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I second Panama City. I haven't been to Pensecola. Myrtle is great for families. They also have lots of golf and the pottery place. Panama city has nicer beaches and the gulf is warm. There are also nice places to eat. However, don't take your family during college spring break as it's nothing but cruising and raunchiness at night. (Day is not bad). There is also Ebro if you want a little dog racing.

ibrowse17
03-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Panama City would be at the bottom of that list for me. Destin beats them all.

murphy1
03-13-2007, 03:38 PM
I like all of them and you know I'm from Florida! I really like Destin too as someone else said. Pensacola is a nice place too. They used to have the Miracle Strip in PC where there were rides and games, but it got torn down.

JRocker
03-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Panama City would be way, way down below the bottom of the list.

Scratch that.....

It's not even on my list.

We went there a few years ago in the middle of summer, not a pleasant stay at all.
1) Got a few items stolen from the camper - nothing worth much of anything, except for my daughters migraine medicine....

2) Store clerks (restaraunts and souvenier shops) were very rude, did not meet a single nice one.

3) Adult related material in plain view at the check out counters of almost every shop we visited. Definately NOT family friendly.

Boojum
03-15-2007, 08:46 AM
I know Destin isn't on your list, but it's not far from Pensacola or Panama City. It's also far, far nicer than either of them! Plenty of good restaurants, enormous outlet mall, beautiful beaches.

Go with Destin!

Figgyluv03
03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
We had a huge family trip down to Mrytle Beach a few summers ago (aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers, and my boyfriend). We had sooo much fun! Barefoot Landing and Broadway by the Beach (I think it's called that) are so much fun! I love the Ripley's aqurium and the Hunley exibit as well. There are so many things to see and do.

MsMin
03-16-2007, 10:12 AM
I have to go with Destin. It's a beautiful white beach. Panama City is too over crowded, it looks like Las Vegas (packed w/ hotels and condos) I don't find the beach as white in Pensacola (sorry guys)
My favorite beach/camping area is Port St. Joe Fla b/c you have the bay w/ scalloping and the beach on the gulf.
Orange beach is our fav. too b/c it's not as far and less expensive than Destin. Orange beach is very family oriented w/ an amusement park in Gulf Shores and great shopping in Foley. Gulf Shores has an RV park, it's anther state park but not right on the beach b/c the old convention center is on the waterfront. Camping on the beach has never been my favorite-- too much sand.

Bethis26fan
03-18-2007, 10:24 AM
I would have to go with Myrtle Beach. I love it there. There is so much to do shop, mini golf, water parks, and etc. I like south myrtle better than north just because it seems like there is more to do.

karmah
03-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Myrtle Beach is geared more towards families. But the downside to it is that there is a lot of driving involved from one attraction to the other. That being said, we enjoyed it very much all the times we have visited.

For Florida locations in the panhandle I would have to agree on Destin as the choice. Nice beaches, etc. My hubby was stationed near there and loved driving to Destin and all the different beaches around there.

RAIDER
04-04-2007, 07:51 AM
I know Destin isn't on your list, but it's not far from Pensacola or Panama City. It's also far, far nicer than either of them! Plenty of good restaurants, enormous outlet mall, beautiful beaches.

Go with Destin!

I have to agree ...Destin is beautiful :cloud9: :marg:

DisneyRN
04-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Having grown up in Pensacola and now living on the Alabama Gulf Coast I have some insight into these areas....

#1- I would have to go with Destin. I go to a conference there twice a year, and it is so clean and nice. I always stay at the San Destin Beach and Golf Resort. There is a ton of hotel choices on one complex at varying prices. It is very near the Silver Sands Outlets and near some good dining. For seafood I like the Crab Trap and the Captain's Table. Also, the Destin Commons is a must see and do. The Hard Rock Cafe and Bass Pro Shop is there along with some upscale shopping.

#2- Orange Beach/Gulf Shores Alabama. There is considerably more to do here than Pensacola- the zoo, lots of put-put, a fun waterpark that opens after Memorial Day, shopping, etc. This area has recovered quicker and nicer than Pensacola from all our hurricanes in the past 2 years. There is a ton of housing, restaurants, activities, etc. Pensacola is pretty too, but I would choose OB/GS. There is also a ton of outlets just up Hwy. 59 in Foley. Lambert's Cafe, the Original Oyster House, Pink Pony Pub are some good restaurants in the area. The amuesment park mentioned by another poster is gone from Gulf Shores- it was ruined by Katrina.

I like Myrtle Beach as well, but it is much more commercialized than the other two. It is a lot easier to find a pretty public beach on the FL/AL Gulf Coast than it is in Myrtle Beach. This is good if you don't want to pay to stay on the beach. The beaches are MUCH prettier on the Gulf Coast, and cheaper to stay at. Granted there is A TON more stuff in Myrtle Beach to do, I would choose somewhere here than MB.

Also, for vacation rentals, try www.vrbo.com. They have rentals in every state, size, price range, etc.