PDA

View Full Version : What's a good check-in time?

jennsky
03-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Do you guys have a time that you prefer checking into your accomodations or do you just wing it and check-in when you get there?

In the past when we drive down 22 hours straight from Toronto, we'd end up checking into the All Stars during the early afternoon before our room was even ready, but that's because we've been driving straight. Do you guys plan your travel to the World around a good time to check in (when the check-in lines are not too bad)? We'll be staying at PO - French Quarter at the end of the month and I'm curious if the check-in lines there can get crazy. I know the All-Stars on occasion have you waiting in line for awhile...

GRAM
03-05-2007, 02:23 PM
We stayed at POFQ last June. We got there at around 2:00 and it took us about 15-20 minutes to check in. That seems like it is one of the smaller resorts. We loved it. you can walk all over the resort.

MNNHFLTX
03-05-2007, 02:40 PM
We always check in as soon as we can upon arrival--if our room isn't ready, we just store our luggage and go to the parks or such. That said, we prefer to check in before 1 p.m., so that there are more room choices.

A Mouse Fan
03-05-2007, 02:49 PM
My advice is to check in right away upon arrival...especially if you have special room requests! I can tell you in December we arrived about 2:30pm to check in and we had requested non-smoking room with king bed. Well they had assigned us a smoking room with two queens :shake: SO I very nicely said that we had requested a non-smoking room with a king bed. Well after the CM checked with his manager he came back and reassigned us a king bed room and said we were only able to get it because the people it was orginially assigned to had not checked in yet!!! It was a wonderfully large Room at the WL...in a prime spot! We really lucked out!

Jasper
03-05-2007, 02:52 PM
We also drive straight through and normally stay at the All Stars. The big difference is that we only have about a 12-13 hour trip. We normally leave late afternoon, early evening which puts us at the resort anytime between 6 am and 10 am depending on if we stop on I Drive for breakfast.

That time of morning there is rarely anyone else in line. Yes, the room is not normally ready at that time but we can park our vehicle and climb on board the bus for the rest of the day. If you ask, they will give you a number to call through out the day to find out if your room is ready yet. That way you can go crash in the afternoon if it is ready.

Just remember that when your room is ready will vary a great deal depending on the time of year.

Bottom line is we think it makes sense to check in as soon as we get there to ditch our stuff and use Disney transport. Plus when you are ready to go back to your room all you have to do is grab your stuff from your vehicle and go in. Of course, if you fly in and leave your stuff at the front desk you can ask them to put it in your room when it is ready.

Catzle
03-05-2007, 03:10 PM
We always check in right away. We have only had to wait once out the past years for our room. We have gotten there as early at 10 a.m. and late as 2 p.m.

AndrewJackson
03-05-2007, 03:15 PM
We check in as soon as we arrive as well. The earlier the better, IMHO.

We typically arrive on a Saturday between 11:00 AM and 12:00 noon. If we are driving, we pack all of our swim gear in one bag, and change in the locker room by the pool, and relax for the rest of the day.

This year we are flying. We touch down at 9:00 AM. We are packing our swim gear in the carry-on. Our goal is to be checked-in and at the pool by 11:30, enjoying the sun! :waycool:

Goofy Pilot
03-05-2007, 04:17 PM
We check in as soon as we arrive as well. The earlier the better, IMHO.

I totally agree with this. You can always put your luggage in the hold area until your room is ready, and go do whatever it is you want to do. For us, we have to make a quick trip into MK just to get that out of the way and start things off right. Then back to the resort for a couple of :beer: while we wait for the room to be ready. Then, after freshening up in the room, it's back out to one of the parks to enjoy the rest of the day.

Seasonscraps
03-05-2007, 06:48 PM
We also check in on arrival. It sort of signals the real start of the vacation when we do that.

The lines are generally hit or miss - there could be a large number of people checking out or a Magic Express bus could arrive shortly before you do which can make for long lines. Or you could walk right up to the counter.

pook@wdw
03-05-2007, 08:05 PM
The earlier the better. We stay @ DTD our 1st night @ usually check in around 7-8 AM the next morning @ our resort. That way we can request, and most often get, the specific areas and/or rooms (yes we know the exact room #)and the ammenities that we prefer. We pre-register, check our luggage, and head off to parks unknown to continue our MAGICAL JOURNEY:cloud9: . And when we return, usually around lunchtime, Our "home" is ready and waiting for us! How SWEET:cool: is that?

DizneyFreak2002
03-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I check in upon arrival... Only once did I have to wait for a room.... all the other times, my room was ready for me....

Frog
03-06-2007, 08:44 AM
We drove and checked in early (POFQ), then headed to Epcot for our very first "Adventure".
Spent the day riding the rides and checking out the park, then the evening was spent at WS.
Night time at the WS was really cool!

4ubie1
03-06-2007, 09:09 AM
I personally think "the sooner the better":thumbsup: Plus, like many others, I think you stand a better chance at getting what you requested room-wise if you are there earlier. The CMs have more options to choose from to accommodate you. And you get to spend more time in WDW :D

kathiep
03-06-2007, 01:35 PM
In September, we arrived at CB at 8am and not only was there no lines, they had rooms ready and upgraded us for free. We checked in and deposited our luggage in less than 20 minutes and were off to our first full day at the park :mickey:

Disney_Barbie
04-23-2007, 12:12 PM
This confuses me. I read here under the "Resort Check In Time" tab in info central that you can check in prior to the time and just stop by later that nt to find out your room number. But, I guess what I'm confused about, is when I check in (which will be about 10:30 - 11am!) will they tell me what kind of room I'm gettting? IE - I requested (fingers crossed!) a non-smoking w/ a king bed. I'd hate to do early check in, and then return to the resort @ 10:30 at night to find out I'm in a smoking room with double beds and if it's so late at night, I assume they will not be able to do much about it.
Would they be able to tell me at early check in if I'm getting what I requested, or should I plan on early check in and still returning to the resort again at 4pm to beg for my request?

Seasonscraps
04-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Whenever we check in really early, the CM's tell us the room number so they will know what kind of room it is then. They give us a number to call to confirm the room is available and to activate our room key cards.

BigRedDad
04-24-2007, 05:23 PM
My opinion is to check in as early as possible. That way if there is a "problem" with the room, the more flexible and more options available for them to make a change.

cgriff
04-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Would they be able to tell me at early check in if I'm getting what I requested, or should I plan on early check in and still returning to the resort again at 4pm to beg for my request?

Great question Disney_Barbie. Is there anyone here familiar with Disney resort check-in procedure who can answer this question definitively?

Thanks,
cgriff