PDA

View Full Version : Why did you choose the Home Resort you did?

DISNEYFIX
03-04-2007, 02:58 PM
I am seriously looking into becoming a DVC'r. And I have the headach :ill: to prove it!
What led you to make the choice for your Home Resort :number1: that you did? Since I can't look at all of them my next trip down, I am going to need some help, using your :number1: insight to make some choices. :thumbsup:
Thanks

Donald A
03-04-2007, 03:25 PM
I didn't do much homework and just bought in at Saratoga Springs because that was all Disney was selling. I wasn't even aware people were selling other DVC resorts as resales. Keep in mind that SSR and AKV have the longest contract life until 2054.

sassafras
03-04-2007, 03:40 PM
I bought into the BCVs because that was what Disney was selling at the time. I also was unaware of resales. I've been perfectly happy with my choice though! (And I bought in sight unseen!):thumbsup:

BethieTink
03-04-2007, 04:09 PM
We bought into BCV a year ago. We didn't care about the contract ending in 2042, since I will be 82 at that point and DH will be 87, and we are not having any kids.

We loved the Beach Club when we have visited it on previous trips and we adore the location. The 5 minute walk into the WS is unbeatable. We can leave 20 minutes before an ADR and still have a drink before we get there. :cloud9: I had read on intercot before we bought that BCV and BWV is kind of like having the WS as your backyard and they are right.

We chose the BCV over the BWV because of the pool. We adore Stormalong Bay. We are big pool people and leave the parks around lunchtime and head straight to the pool. As long as it is warm enough to get in the water, we are there.

We bought without ever having stayed at BCV. We went "home" the first time this past December and we were certainly not disappointed. We absolutely made the right decision for us. We loved everything about BCV. It makes Disney for us even more magical. :magic:

I keep saying I want to try some other DVC properties and I really do, but I can't imagine not going "home" to BCV now.

Maleficent's Dad
03-04-2007, 04:29 PM
We bought BWV because that's what was for sale at the time.

We bought SSR due to a promotion they had in '04 and the fact that the points would last an additional 12 years! :mickey:

Now, if DW will just agree to more points at the AKLV... ;)

vizsla
03-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Before we made our decision to buy into the DVC we stayed at most of the resorts, and the ones we did not stay at we visited them several times to come to a decision. We decided on OKW to be our home resort since we liked the theme, room sizes, resort layout, and how the resort is spread out. We made our purchase through resale and got exactly what we were looking for as far as points per use year.

A few things to take into consideration when buying into the DVC is to make sure the "Home Resort" you choose to buy is where you would prefer to stay on all trips if there is no availability at other resorts, cost per point, dues and maint. fees.

DISNEYFIX
03-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Before we made our decision to buy into the DVC we stayed at most of the resorts, and the ones we did not stay at we visited them several times to come to a decision. We decided on OKW to be our home resort since we liked the theme, room sizes, resort layout, and how the resort is spread out. We made our purchase through resale and got exactly what we were looking for as far as points per use year.

A few things to take into consideration when buying into the DVC is to make sure the "Home Resort" you choose to buy is where you would prefer to stay on all trips if there is no availability at other resorts, cost per point, dues and maint. fees.

BINGO!!!! Hence the straw poll question.

keys2kingdom
03-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Keep in mind that SSR and AKV have the longest contract life until 2054.

Actually AKV will expire in 2057 and it goes on sale to the GP 3/5. OK, well today technically!

Carol
03-05-2007, 07:57 AM
We bought into Saratoga Springs because of the longer contract. :)

DVC2004
03-05-2007, 08:31 AM
When we attended the sales presentation in 2003 Disney was selling BCV. We didn't buy then. Almost a year later we bought into SSR. The biggest draw for us was the longer contract term.

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
03-05-2007, 12:41 PM
We bought into Saratoga Springs because of the longer contract. :)

:thumbsup: Ditto for us, too.

Speedy1998
03-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Also looking at buying DVC. I really want AKL, but I was also wondering how difficult is it to stay at a resort that is not your home resort. I mean I would like to try them all if I buy into DVC.

SignguyTom
03-05-2007, 02:52 PM
We bought at BWV because of the location. It rocks to be that close to Epcot & MGM. The shorter contract never even entered into the decision. I believe that as DVC membership continues to grow, your home resort will be more and more important. I just can't see myself at SS or OKW every trip. I like DD alright, I guess, but I'd rather be close to the parks.

Also, at BWV, there is a micro-brewery. :cheers:

dlpmikki
03-05-2007, 04:12 PM
When I bought OKW was DVC - there was nowhere else! I am glad it has been such a success and that they have done / are doing other resorts because I do like trying them out sometimes but the sheer amount of space in a one bed at OKW wins out for me every time. :mickey:

Ed
03-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Also looking at buying DVC. I really want AKL, but I was also wondering how difficult is it to stay at a resort that is not your home resort. I mean I would like to try them all if I buy into DVC.

Really not difficult at all. You can reserve at your "home" resort(s) 11 months ahead of your desired vacation date, and at other resorts seven months ahead. Usually it's just a matter of calling to book EXACTLY that many months ahead of your desired arrival date.

HockeyKat
03-05-2007, 09:50 PM
We took a short trip at the end of January '07 where one of the main purposes was to decide if we wanted to buy DVC, and if so, which resort.

We began with renting points to stay in a studio at OKW to be sure that we would be okay with the "cheapest" option. We ate at BCV and walked around. We ate at the BW and toured BWV, as they have a model open that you can walk through, right next to Big River Grille. DH had stayed at WL and we had eaten there a few times before, so we knew that wasn't where we wanted, and we had done the tour at SSR in October so had already ruled that out as well. The term of the contract didn't matter to us (no kids and no plans for them).

OKW and SSR are very "moderate" feel resorts to me. Spread out and very much like a CBR or POFQ, albeit with better and bigger rooms. We are not fans of WL theming, just a personal preference, although the resort is very nice and has good proximity to MK.

ISo, it came down to to a choice between BWV and BCV for us. BCV was tempting due to the pool and the small size and therefore limited availability, but BWV just felt like home.

So, we came back from the Jan trip, and promptly found and bought a BWV resale. :thumbsup:

Tinkermom
03-06-2007, 11:12 PM
It seems we are in the minority...

We own at both Vero Beach and at SSR. We purchased Vero because it was cheaper than the WDW DVC resorts and Disney had a really great deal to buy into Vero. Both of these made it affordable for us at the time. Also, we are beach lovers. We usually book a beach cottage (there are only 6) right at our 11 month window. Beach cottage photo #1 (http://www.tinkermom3.photosite.com/WDW062004/Chapter11/) Beach cottage photo #2 (http://www.tinkermom3.photosite.com/WDW062004/Chapter11/?page=2) We are told the only people who get the cottages are Vero Beach owners so this is a huge plus for us!

We bought into SSR later for both the longer contract and to own at one of the WDW resorts. We feel we have the best of both worlds.:thumbsup:

c&d
03-08-2007, 11:27 AM
We own VWL. We bought because it reminded us of Yosemite. DH's father was a park ranger there during the summer when he was off from the teaching at the Police academy.

Being from NE Beach & Yacht club really didn't appeal to us.

BethieTink
03-10-2007, 09:52 PM
We own VWL. We bought because it reminded us of Yosemite. DH's father was a park ranger there during the summer when he was off from the teaching at the Police academy.

Being from NE Beach & Yacht club really didn't appeal to us.

c&d,

Just wanted to comment that we are right down the road from you in Medford. :wave:

JMTStone
03-11-2007, 05:35 PM
We bought SSR during the 15 year special. I would LOVE to own at AKL as it is my FAVORITE place so far to stay. DH takes some convincing and his plan is to stay at a different place each time we go, anyway.

DisneyGiant
03-11-2007, 06:04 PM
We bought SSR because that was what they were offering at the time - and it was soooo convenient for Disney to do the mortgage. I would have had to secure financing on my own if I had opted for a resale.

Although, we'll always try for a BCV or BWV, we also thought that we wouldn't mind being neart Downtown Disney.

So I always book at the 11 month window - and then call at 7 months to change the reservation to the resort we want.

We may try VWL next year, as we have family staying at Ft Wilderness.

Nothing beats being able to walk into Epcot first thing in the morning!

Sharon1026
03-16-2007, 05:28 PM
SSR - nice area, longer contract.

We have booked at OKW, DWL, and SSR. No problems with dates. Haven't tried BW or BC yet.

I don't think that you can go wrong at any of the resorts - it's a vacation after all!.

I know some people get really excited about being right next door to epcot/mgm. Maybe it saves you 15 minutes on the bus, but to me, it's no big deal.

Enjoy!
:stitch2:

jefmblrd
03-18-2007, 12:54 PM
We bought into The Beach Club, because that's what was for sale at the time. We went over there, took a tour and absolutely fell in love with it. We're from Cape Cod, so the whole beach theme is very attractive to us. Also, the location-a 5 minute walk into Epcot and a boat ride to MGM was attractive as well. We've stayed in many places all over the Disney property and both like the Beach Club best.

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-18-2007, 05:23 PM
We took the tour in late 2001 when VWL was being sold, but my wife just didn't like the look.
So we bided our time and did research, read tons of info on various website, including INTERCOT of course and watched the DVC videos.
In the course of all this, my wife fell in love with OKW and we bought via resale, sight unseen, in late 2003.
It's been everything we thought it would be and more.
We don't regret the decision one bit. :thumbsup:

Natazu
03-19-2007, 01:42 AM
'cause they wouldn't sell us the Contemporary. Seriously, the deal we got for our SSR points was pretty hard to pass up.

Here we go again...
03-20-2007, 03:51 AM
I am seriously looking into becoming a DVC'r. And I have the headach :ill: to prove it!
What led you to make the choice for your Home Resort :number1: that you did? Since I can't look at all of them my next trip down, I am going to need some help, using your :number1: insight to make some choices. :thumbsup:
Thanks

I just wanted to tell you that if you are planning to purchase into DVC you can use my name for your contract. It gets you an additional discount on the points through Disney. We found out when we purchased in January, we used our friends name and saved over $2,000!
Also, look at both resale and Disney. Resale looks like it has great prices but with the extra incentives they are giving PLUS an extra discount for knowing a DVC member, Disney might be the way to go.
And, we only paid $98 in closing costs.