PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember the Fort Wilderness Campers/trailers?

smartinez1
03-01-2007, 09:40 AM
I remember when the fort wilderness campground had actuall campers/trailers. They had a full kitchen, bathroom, living room, and the bedroom that we stayed in slept 4. There was bunk beds for me and my brother and a double bed for my parents. Anyone else remember these? I would think they were more like trailers, because they didn't have wheels on them. I loved staying in these. next to every trailer there was a bar-b-q and picnic table so you could eat outside if you wanted. I think we only stayed once or twice in the late 1970's early early 1980's. They also had golf carts for you to drive around the campground, and I remember we drove one to the hood de doo revue. What ever happened to these? I thought they were great and convenient with the full kitchen! I know now they have the widerness cabins, but those things are expensive!

WDWhuny
03-01-2007, 10:27 AM
I remember them. I think the last time we stayed in them was February of 1988. It sleeped 6 with a double bed and bunk beds in the bedroom and a sico bed in the living room. It was wonderful the way the mousekeepers put your dirty dishes in the dishwasher.:mickey:

jennsky
03-01-2007, 11:16 AM
My family stayed in those too a few times. They were great! We'd rent a golf cart too and boot around the campground. From what I understand the new cabins are similar in that the bedroom has a bed & bunk beds and the living room has a double bed that pulls out of the wall. We're actually staying in one at the end of March so I'm hoping they are pretty similar because that's the assumption I'm going on when I pack. Cross yer fingers!! :D

DNS
03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
They still have the golf carts, but they're pricey.

mickey98
03-01-2007, 12:28 PM
They were trailers that were rented and eventually replaced by the cabins, Back in the day it allowed campers to stay in a real live camper when they did not own one,, Also does anyone remember the Class C Motorhome display that used to be outside Pioneer Hall ??????????

ibrowse17
03-01-2007, 12:31 PM
We stayed in them once, and like everyone else really enjoyed them. I think it was when I was in college, so must have been in the late 80's.

DNS
03-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Also does anyone remember the Class C Motorhome display that used to be outside Pioneer Hall ??????????

I remember that. I think it was there still a couple of years ago.

Buttercup
03-01-2007, 01:55 PM
The cabins are extremely similar to the old wilderness homes. Just the decor has changed and the exterior look of the buildings.
The wilderness homes were also expensive for the time - so that hasn't changed much!

casey@bat
03-01-2007, 10:32 PM
I can barely remember staying in the camper one time. My aunt went with us. I remember her sneaking me a cookie after I went to bed. I must have been about 8 yrs. old.

I also remember a camper that was in front of Pioneer hall. It had steps built up to it and a little platform I think.

BrerEmma
03-02-2007, 05:54 PM
I also remember them in the 80's I can still remember the handout for the Magic Kingdom had a night time picture of Cinderella castle on it. it was so cool.

hoop de do
03-02-2007, 08:33 PM
In 1973 FW had the old Silver AirStream trailers. At that time they were the cat's meow. :thumbsup:

Auntie
03-03-2007, 10:26 PM
:thumbsup: We stayed in the trailers back in the 90's. The cabins were being introduced after our visit ..loop by loop. They are really basically the same just with the wood exterior and the kitchen/living area is reversed. The bedroom area and the murphy beds are still in both. I do think the cabins have a more rustic look...and while they do charge the rate of a Deluxe resort for them..probably changing the term from "trailers" to "cabins" has a lot to do what that. They were both modular..or more like park model modular housing. I'm pretty sure the cabins even are on wheels..if you were to get a look under the wrap and porch. We have several very similar to those in FW in the camping resort we have been seasonal in. The decks they've added are certainly a very nice touch.

tungpo1
05-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Sure do they werent much different then the cabins, which are trailers as well with wood siding outside and wood inside, its still a trailer. I remember the little cabin I think it was in the 1200 loop now they moved it on the swamp trail.

Auntie
05-28-2007, 12:32 AM
I just saw that cabin two days ago...my husband and I were biking and discovered the Swamp Trail..there were showers,and we waited it out on the porch of that cabin for a bit. All locked up and sort of spooky looking..covered in cob webs..and creatures!

Bear Lee
05-28-2007, 08:24 AM
I was looking at some old family photos recently and came across one of our family standing in front of a trailer we rented at FW. Ahhh, the good ol days. :mickey: