PDA

View Full Version : Food and Wine Festival Reviews?

SandmanGStefani24
02-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Anyone who's been there have any feedback positive or negative? Anything we must see/do/eat? it looks cool, but I'm not sure...

DVC2004
02-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Love it, love it, love it! You must have the chicken and chorizo quesadilla in Mexico, the flourless chocolate whiskey cake in Ireland, and shrimp on the barbie in Australia! Don't bother making ressies at any WS restaurants or you'll be too full to enjoy all the F&W Fest treats.

Spaceship Tigger
02-28-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm sure most of the F&WF reviews will be positive, but...

We went to the World Showcase two straight years during the F&WF. We always ate TS dinner in the WS while the festival was going on. While it was neat to see all of the booths set up, we never really wanted to stand in line for them when we weren't hungry after dinner anyway. We did get drinks at the sparkling wine booth a few times, but that was it. The big thing was that the F&WF dramatically increased crowds in the evenings around the Lagoon - so much so that we always had trouble navigating our stroller through the people. Because of the crowds, we decided to move our trip this September up a week and avoid the F&WF entirely.

prttynpnk
02-28-2007, 03:10 PM
We are F&W regulars- we love grazing our way thru the World Showcase and we're just starting to attend some of the events. This last time we did the Sweet sundays and it was so great!:mickey: Definitely worth attending!

momef3grls
02-28-2007, 05:54 PM
DH and I went 2 years ago and now we are taking the family. Oldest DD is going to be chef and can't wait to experience the F&Wfest. It was fun walking through all the countries and also exploring the additional countries that are there. When we go we spend most of our time in Epcot anyway so this is an added bonus. Now with bringing the kids they can guide my sorry butt back to the hotel:blush: after indulging in all the new wines I find.

jedigrrrl
02-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Try and go on a weekday, or, if you do go on a weekend day, do it for lunch. We usually go on a sunday and start right when it opens at 11:30am. That way, there are almost no lines. Later in the evening, it can get unbearably crowded.

Almost every booth has something yummy. My husband and I share a plate or 2 at the booths we like and share a small beer at each one too. We don't like wine. We go slowly and can do almost the entire "world" in 3-4 hours with a nice buzz when we're done, lol.

We've gone the past 6 years and plan on going this year too!

Maleficent's Dad
02-28-2007, 08:20 PM
The big thing was that the F&WF dramatically increased crowds in the evenings around the Lagoon - so much so that we always had trouble navigating our stroller through the people. Because of the crowds, we decided to move our trip this September up a week and avoid the F&WF entirely.
I've gotta agree with this post!
I'm no veteran of the F&W Festival, my first (and only) time visiting was this past fall for a couple of days.
In late September/early October, I expected light crowds. I was shocked by the masses at the F&W festival. I mean, seriously folks! I will not wait 40-60 minutes for a $4.00 appetizer that I have to eat while standing up in the heat!!! :eek: :mad: :eek:

Crow
02-28-2007, 08:44 PM
only went once so far but want to again
lots of things to try. some free Sam Adams at a tasting:thumbsup: didnt get to try as much as i wanted cause of the person i was w kept saying why get that for that much etc.
the weekend was crazy though so i wouldnt try to get to the booths on weekends.

SBETigg
02-28-2007, 09:04 PM
I think it's a fantastic event and a must-do at one point for adults traveling without kids. For families with children, the crowds get heavy and hard to navigate around World Showcase, plus there's not a lot to interest the children compared to the adult interest.

I'm not saying kids wouldn't enjoy it or not to bring them. It's completely appropriate for families. Just that it's a lot harder to manage with strollers and younger kids, especially. Crowds do get heavy and even my teens weren't intrigued enough to appreciate it for all it was worth. I can't wait to go back one day with just my DH or when my kids are also adults. Weekdays are the best time, lower crowds.

Natazu
02-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Here's the thing. When I hear from "regular" people, "what is there to do if you're not a kid", before long the conversation comes around to the Food & Wine Festival. It usually ends with them making reservations for October.

F&WF booths have something for everyone.

Jym's Top Seven Best F&WF Food Items:
(not all may return in '07
7. Potato Pierogies with Sour Cream (Poland)
6. Lobster Corn Chowder (USA)
5. Chicken Carbonara (Italy)
4. Southwestern Turkey Cobb Wrap (Cocina de Tortilla)
3. Chicken Sha Cha (China)
2. Potato Leek Soup (Ireland)
1. Arroz Con Pollo (Puerto Rico)

Additionally, top 7 best liquid items:
7. Thomas Hyland Cabernet Sauvignon (Aussie Walkabout)
6. Kesseler Rheingau Riesling (Festival Center)
5. Dos Equis Lager (Mexico)
4. Banfi Rosa Regale Brachetto d'Acqui (Champagne booth)
3. Lindeman's Bin 55 Cabernet Sauvignon (Aussie Walkabout)
2. Samuel Adams Octoberfest (Sam Adams)
1. Silverado Sauvignon Blanc (Festival Center)

AVOID:
Laksa Lemak (Singapore)
Miod Pitny Honey Wine (Poland)

Note:
Do not miss the Party for the Senses if it is within your budget. Wow, what a wonderful food and wine experience. It's worth every penny.

Crow
02-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Im hoping to try some of these if i make it back, since i missed most on my only other F&W
esp the :beer:
i know they made a special Sam Adams for the fest

and take advantage of the samplings and seminars

Here's the thing. When I hear from "regular" people, "what is there to do if you're not a kid", before long the conversation comes around to the Food & Wine Festival. It usually ends with them making reservations for October.

AVOID:
Laksa Lemak (Singapore)

Note:
Do not miss the Party for the Senses if it is within your budget. Wow, what a wonderful food and wine experience. It's worth every penny.

Medland
03-01-2007, 05:16 AM
I love the Food and Wine Festival. I went all 3 times that I visited WDW and even though I really want to visit during Christmas season and during the Star Wars weekends I know I will miss this part of my trip.
Party for the Senses is definitely worth the money if you can afford it. I would go every year if money were no object. If you like the artist playing an Eat to the Beat concert you can either listen to a few tunes as you wind by or take the time out to sit down and watch the show. The lines for these look long, but there is plenty of seating once they open the theater.
I also would advise going for lunch rather than dinner. Lines get crazy as people start moving from Future World to World Showcase and as more people start feeling like it's late enough in the day to begin drinking.

prttynpnk
03-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Lines get crazy as people start moving from Future World to World Showcase and as more people start feeling like it's late enough in the day to begin drinking.

So true! Getting from stall to sitting areas starts to feelk like that video game 'Frogger'!!:mickey:

c&d
03-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Also try to do at least one of the Signature Dinners. We did the one in Canada and it was fantastic.

We also did the American dinner with Jim Koch hosting from Sam Adams. Who knew you could pair all their beers with different foods.

They are pricey ~$120/pp, but well worth the investment I thought.

momef3grls
03-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Hey Crow,
DH is a beer man and not to burst your bubble but the "special brew" is actually Sam Octoberfest just renamed for the fest. Also the amber beer sold at animal kingdom as a "special brew" is actually Michelobe Amber Boc. :secret:

mudpuppysmom
03-02-2007, 01:19 AM
We first went in 2005 and returned in 2006 armed with a bit more knowledge.......planning on returning this year too.

There are usually three adults and one kiddo with us and we all just grab whatever looks good to us and then share.

A few fav's this past year that I can recall were:
Conga juice
Filet Kebab
Bobotie (well, that is a fav of mine, but no one else!)
Chicken Sha Cha
Pierogies (although I won't eat the Mrs. T's they serve -- I'm spoiled and only eat homemade sorry Jym)
Quesidilla (can't remember what all was in it, but we all liked it!)
Anything from the sparkling wine kiosk......I've two fisted it on more than one ocassion!:D

Party for the Senses was new for us this year and I gotta say, the ONLY drawback was that there is not enough seating for everyone and they are like the birds outside Peco's Bills waiting for food......people hover around the tables and just wait to pounce if someone gets up! We gave up early on and just kept walking around getting more samples of everything -- It IS a little more difficult as the evening wears on an you have less balance b/c of all the wine and beer samples you have had, but it is SO much fun!!! This year we tried our hands at the Yo Yo's the La Nouba girls do and while we did get them going, it was tough later in the evening......again that darn balance and judgment thing!!! Honestly, I'm admittedly cheap, but for the $$ you spend there, it is a NIIIIIICE evening out!!!!

Granny Jill A
03-02-2007, 02:03 PM
We went on the very last weekend of the Festival, and the portions were HUGE. I think the vendors were trying to get rid of the food.

It was delicious, but they needed more places to either stand or sit, because juggling a drink and food is tricky. We liked the tall tables some vendors had nearby.

The weather in November was much nicer as well.

Bon Appetit!

Lynn J Mc
03-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Unless you like crowds and drunks, hit WS as soon as it opens and visit the booths for lunch. Then hop to another park. 2005 I went to WS by myself early and hit several booths for lunch. My mother and I went back that same night so she could see the Commodores. The lines for the booths were awful and most of the crowd was drunk. People even had t-shirts made especially about drinking around the world. I don't mind a little alcohol but a lot of people had gone overboard. More than I had seen a few years ago at the Festival. I was surprised to see some of the behavior I saw at a Disney park.

hoop de do
03-02-2007, 08:41 PM
If at all possible go to "Party For The Senses".
As stated by others it is pricey but I think it's well worth the money. Last year I and my family were fortunate enough to dine with three other INTERCOTEES - JohnY, Natazu and Medland. We had a blast. I hope to hook up with some others this coming year. I think you'll have a great time. Let us know. :eat: :wine:

Christine
03-02-2007, 08:45 PM
We have gone twice during the F&WF and while we thoroughly enjoy eating around the world, we too were a bit turned off by the large population of staggering drunks.

I am all for eat, drink, and be merry, but not eat, drink, and be obnoxious!!

Natazu
03-03-2007, 10:00 AM
If at all possible go to "Party For The Senses".
As stated by others it is pricey but I think it's well worth the money. Last year I and my family were fortunate enough to dine with three other INTERCOTEES - JohnY, Natazu and Medland. We had a blast. I hope to hook up with some others this coming year. I think you'll have a great time. Let us know. :eat: :wine:
What fun that was. I can't wait for this year.

luvdiznee
05-20-2007, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Natazu;1209459]Here's the thing. When I hear from "regular" people, "what is there to do if you're not a kid", before long the conversation comes around to the Food & Wine Festival. It usually ends with them making reservations for October.

AVOID:
Laksa Lemak (Singapore)

OK, I know this is old, but I did not see Paella on here. Was it not there or just not good? Thanks

snifflesmcg
05-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Only done food and wine festival once but I really enjoyed it. We had the DDP and we could use our snacks for some of the food they were offering. I don't belive we had lunch that day as we were so full from all the sampling.

mousetrapper
05-20-2007, 09:49 PM
We just really enjoyed it the times we went. I really enjoyed the champagne...they served some sort of wafer cookie that you dip in the champagne and ate...sooooo good!!

Oh and the food is good too!!

:blush:

Just a great chance to try international cuisine. A lot of fun, IMHO.

Natazu
05-21-2007, 04:19 AM
OK, I know this is old, but I did not see Paella on here. Was it not there or just not good? ThanksI don't remember a paella dish for a couple of years. Last year, Spain had an Olive item, Papas con Chirizo, & Albondigas, and in 05 they had "regional tapas". There was a Paella Valencia in 04.