PDA

View Full Version : DVC2004's Feb Dl/SoCal Trip Part 5(Final)

DVC2004
02-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Today was our last full day and had a heavy schedule. We planned to drive down to San Diego and hit the Wild Animal Park then Sea World. We ordered room service breakfast as a treat and it came later than promised which started the day off wrong. We had no luck with dining this trip. We hit the road adter 8:30 and encountered more traffic but were able to utitlize the carpool lanes. DH is a former marine and enjoyed driving us past his old stomping grounds of Camp Pendelton and Oceanside. We arrived at San Diego Wild Animal park shortly after 10. It is not in San Diego- actually Escondido. We planned only to do the Wagasa Railway- a train ride that takes you around the grounds. It is very lovely there- in the hills and the animals roam very freely in thier enclosures similar to animal kingdom. The train ride took nearly an hour and we all enjoyed it. After we had to ride the Spongebob 4D motion simulator for oldest DS. We left by 11:30- the drive to Sea World was nother 30 minutes. We arrived there and viewed the Anhieser-Busch Clydesdale and rode Escpae from Atlantis which was part water ride and part coaster. Ride before we boarded someone on another part of the ride asked to get off and the ride had to be shut down and reset so we had to wait about 30 minutes. Then we saw the Dolphin show. The boys asked to sit in the soak zone so I let them, in ponchos of course. It was only in the upper 50's today so I wasn't thrilled. I sat higher up. After we had a good but costly counterservice lunch at the Calypso smokehouse whihc was barbecue. DH and I split a combo platter which was plenty for the two of us. Then on to the shark reef where the boys got to pet a small shark. Then to the CLyde and Seamore Sea Lion Show. By then we had just enough time to catch the last Shamu show "Believe" where again the boys sat in the soak zone. Good show! After that th park closed. My husband was on a quest to find Fatburger, a burger chain he enjoyed as a Marine, and my Garmin showed there was one about 2 miles away. I didn't have any since I had only eaten three hours prior. Of course it was not like he'd remembered. San Diego is very pretty and clean. The beach happened to be a block behind the Fatburger so we stolled over for a quick walk. The sun had just set and it was a beautiful sight. It was a surfing only beach so we got to watch a few stragglers ride the waves then headed back to Anahheim. The rain held of until our drive back. We got back around 8 pm and did some last minute shopping, then I was hungry and bought a slice of pizza from Napolini which was very good.

The following day we went home. Had no problem dropping off our Alamo rental to the long beach airport alamo (prearranged- cost $20 more but was worth it). Very hassle free. The flight home was on time but we were delayed on the runway at arrival and will now recieve credit towards a future flight on Jetblue.:thumbsup: Overall we had wonderful time. Presidents Day week is busy but it was manageable. The worst day for crowds was Sunday. The CMs were very friendly. If we return I think I will book a few nights in San Diego because I would like to spend more tme there- what I saw was very nice. Thanks to you all for the great info you providede us that helped make our trip wonderful!

Carol
02-27-2007, 09:21 AM
The boys asked to sit in the soak zone so I let them, in ponchos of course. It was only in the upper 50's today so I wasn't thrilled.Oh gosh. That water is SO cold. :freeze:

Thanks for the details and highlights of your California Adventure. I'm glad you found everything to be manageable. It helps knowing it may be crowded going in. Sounds like you planned well.

Great reports. :write:

Christine
02-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Besides your dining snafus, it sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

I have heard that San Diego is absolutely gorgeous! And it is how far from Disneyland?

When we went to Nebraska last weekend to see my mother, our flight was oversold and to make it up to us they gave us vouchers for a free flight for everyone in our family. Perhaps those flights should take us to Sunny California???

Do you feel that being a DVC member makes you feel more comfortable about going beyond WDW?

faline
02-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the reports on your California trip! You brought back some wonderful memories of our trip there last September!

DVC2004
02-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Besides your dining snafus, it sounds like you had a wonderful trip!

I have heard that San Diego is absolutely gorgeous! And it is how far from Disneyland?

When we went to Nebraska last weekend to see my mother, our flight was oversold and to make it up to us they gave us vouchers for a free flight for everyone in our family. Perhaps those flights should take us to Sunny California???

Do you feel that being a DVC member makes you feel more comfortable about going beyond WDW?

San Diego is gorgeous- scenic and very clean. Also seems very safe for tourists and good for families. I wish we'd stayed there a few days. I think it's about 70 miles from Anaheim, but it's all the traffic that makes it a longer ride. I'd say it took us an hour and 45 minutes each way.

This is the first time we used our points outside of WDW. We usually do try to travel elsewhere because my husband doesn't want to go only to Disney. I'd love to exchange my points out to Hawaii next year but its sort of tough so far. As far as the rides at Dl- they are similar but not exactly the same- so even if you know Snow White and HM like the back of your had you'll be delighted to see the differences.

Christine
02-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for answering all of my questions! I am going to start working on my DH to see about getting out that way next summer!

ChipDale
02-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Sounds like it was a wonderful trip (minus your dining experiences). So you didn't try any of the restaurants at the Disneyland Hotel then? Or the Lost Bar?

DVC2004
02-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Sounds like it was a wonderful trip (minus your dining experiences). So you didn't try any of the restaurants at the Disneyland Hotel then? Or the Lost Bar?

I kept wanting to go to Hook's Pointe but we never made it. Too bad because I heard good things about it. My husband did frequent the Lost Bar, but always got it to go so he could bring his drink back to the room. Once I went to Hook's Pointe Wine Cellar which was really nice- I also got a glass to go. The lady that worked there was really helpful!

BrerGnat
02-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Sounds like you had a fun trip, except for the dining. At least Blue Bayou didn't disappoint!

I'm glad you enjoyed your time in San Diego. Next time, you should try to stay a few nights Downtown, and visit the Gaslamp district for some good food and nightlife. :thumbsup: In addition, Coronado is very nice and worth the drive over there just for some sightseeing.

How old are your kids? Have you considered visiting Legoland? It's really fun, even for "big kids"!

For the poster who asked...DOWNTOWN San Diego is approximately 95 miles from Disneyland. Sea World is about 5 miles north of Downtown. San Diego is a BIG (very spread out) area!!!

DVC2004
02-27-2007, 01:33 PM
We wanted to do Legoland but just didn't have enough time. Maybe next time- I know I have only heard great things about it. My boys are 8 and 9. :thumbsup:

*tinker_belle*
02-27-2007, 06:54 PM
Wow you guys did so much in those days you were there! Very good utilization of time.;)
We just went to Wild Animal Park on Sunday and trust me you weren't missing much if you only did the tram ride. Half of everything was under construction anyways. We saw the bird show and gorillas, walked around a bit and left. Luckily we had guest passes.
My BF and i agreed that places like Sea World and the Wild Animal Park or Zoo are places we only need to really visit maybe once every 10 years, if that. We also recently did Sea World and were just not too entertained by it. But their churros weren't bad.:D
We'd rather be at Disneyland!:mickey:

tinkwest
03-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Glad to hear you had fun in San Diego. (My "91 miles from Disneyland" location in my profile is more precisely San Diego).

I haven't been out to the Wild Animal Park for quite a while, but was at Sea World in December. It is definitely an only-one-day-needed park. What is it about kids and the Soak Zones!! I guess we are just old fuddy-duddies.

If you visit SD again during baseball season you might want to take in a Padre game downtown. The zoo is worth a visit too.

Thanks for sharing all of your adventures!:)

DizNee143
03-12-2007, 02:53 PM
well im glad you guys had an overall pretty good trip to Disneyland and the surrounding areas...i have yet to make it to Cali myself..but the more DL trip reports i keep reading the more i want to go...thank you so much for sharing your trip with us!! :mickey:

NotaGeek
03-30-2007, 10:23 PM
:thumbsup:

Thanks SO much for all your posts! It was great visiting the DLR through your eyes. Sorry the food didn't hit the spot ... but I agree with everything you said and have had the same bad food and service at some of the places you visited.

Napa Rose is a place I never go, but I really want to sometime this year. I always get torn between it and Granville's (Steakhouse 55) and choose the latter because it's SO amazing. I haven't been there since the name change, but will try it because their fillet is AMAZING!

Thanks again and great to read about you great adventure!