PDA

View Full Version : Going while expecting

JTToad
02-26-2007, 11:36 AM
Hey folks,
So my wife and I planned a trip to WDW for May, and now it turns out we will be joined by a very little friend.:joy:
Does any one have any tips or advice for going while expecting?
Obviously, we know there are certain rides she can't go on, so looks like I will have to be doing those alone!
Thanks!

Speedy1998
02-26-2007, 01:09 PM
We have done this twice.

I have a few tips.

1. For you use single rider lines, they are usually much shorter and you wife will not have to wait as long.

2. Get a wheel chair for her. This helped DW allot, it also meant that she always had a place that she could sit a rest, while waiting for shows, or while I was on rides. (Your resort may let you have one for free if you explain the situation at the conceirge desk).

3. Let her set the pace. There were a few days when my DW went back to the hotel to sleep, and allowed me to go play in the parks by myself. When she was ready to rejoin me, she called and I would meet her at the front of the park, with the wheel chair al ready for her.

Lehman Family
02-26-2007, 01:27 PM
I can't say that I would even want to go if my wife were pregnant. The suggestions offered before were good, but it would pretty much leave my DW out of almost everything we would want to do. I can't think of any rides that don't have a warning about riding while pregnant. I'd feel guilty about her not being able to go on most of the rides. If you do go I hope you have fun and I hope that your DW is able to enjoy the time.

Jasper
02-26-2007, 01:50 PM
We had the same experience 10 years ago when our last child was born. My wife was getting really bummed out reading about all the rides Disney said pregnant women should not ride so she talked to her doctor about it.

The doctor said the pregnancy was going fine and gave her permission to ride quite a few things that Disney suggested she not. The point being that in this age of silly lawsuits, a company like Disney has to err on the side of caution and put warnings on just about anything that moves as a way to avoid those suits. However, depending on your individual condition there may be things you can do anyway.

My suggestion is talk to her doctor, consider what kind of condition she is in and then use reasonable common sense and I suspect you will find a reasonable balance.

mickey&missy
02-26-2007, 02:18 PM
First, congrats!!

I went 8 weeks pregnant this past Oct and had a great time! Yes, There were times I was little a more tired and sore then I would have been otherwise. But, we had the greatest trip ever!!!

My first piece of advice is water and lots of it! Especially because May maybe a little warm. Make sure she goes to her comfort level. Make sure she isn't pushing herself too hard, sit when she needs to, rest, get into some AC, go for a swim, etc.

As for rides, most people will tell you not to go on anything with restrictions. That was what I stuck to. I'm not a rollercoaster/thrill ride person so it wasn't too tough. The only things I didn't do that I would have liked to where the Safari and Soarin. The safari is WAY to dumpy for a pregnant women and apparently the harness bars on Soarin are a little too restrictive. When I told my ob that we were going he actually said "don't go on the safari!" I was a little disappointed, but thats a good reason for another trip!!

Congrats again and have a wonderful trip!!!

Kenny1113
02-26-2007, 02:21 PM
How far along will she be? I was about 4-5 months pregnant for my son's first "real" trip to WDW when he was 2.5 years old ( he was about 6 months old the very first time he went). I was fine, it was like a normal person I had no complaints except that I couldn't ride alot of the good rides ( ie ToT and splash mt). I went on PotC, teacups, snow white etc. We still had a great time :mickey:

Yano
02-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Wow congrats
:congrats:
I wanted to ask about the same thing,
We booked our trip in April, but turns out I am expecting and will be 5-6 months when we are there, so I hope all goes well.
Funny thing when I was pregnant with my first (10 years ago) we went to Disney and I didn't even know that I was pregnant at that time and went on all the rides.
Lucky me TOT was closed the day we went to MGM, I was bummed at the time, but after I found out I was pregnant I was glad it was!!!
Well, have fun! And enjoy the great shows....
Just wanted to share :blush:
:grad: :flower:

DisneyGRL7
02-26-2007, 08:39 PM
First, congrats!!

As for rides, most people will tell you not to go on anything with restrictions. That was what I stuck to. I'm not a rollercoaster/thrill ride person so it wasn't too tough. The only things I didn't do that I would have liked to where the Safari and Soarin. The safari is WAY to dumpy for a pregnant women and apparently the harness bars on Soarin are a little too restrictive. When I told my ob that we were going he actually said "don't go on the safari!" I was a little disappointed, but thats a good reason for another trip!!

That's interesting because when my mom and I went in January (she was about 4 months pregnant) those were two rides that she was actually able to go on! She simply asked the CMs outside the queue and they said she should be fine. I think the most important factor is definately the condition your wife is in, and how far along she is.

If you two really enjoy Disney World (and who doesn't?) then you should have a great time regardless of the restrictions. There is so much that your wife can do and see while you do the "restricted" rides, and of course, that would be an oppurtune time for her to feet up for a bit.

Have fun and CONGRATS!

Mary M
02-26-2007, 09:45 PM
:congrats:

The pace you set while pregnant is a great practice for the pace you set with a little one.

Just enjoy a relaxing vacation. Enjoy your time together as a couple, since it won't be the same once the little one comes along.

Yano
02-26-2007, 10:13 PM
hi...
i just wanted to add that it is important to set the pace, and take it easy.
and i agree with a previous person that says its good to ask your Dr, which rides are good for you.... that’s what i will do :mickey:
even w/out rides the shows are always great and relaxing. I cant wait to go
:grad: :flower:

JTToad
02-26-2007, 11:07 PM
First off, thanks to everyone who posted and for the well wishes. This is our first, and of course, we are very excited.

We should be around the 5 mth period when we are down there. So for those counting at home, we're still early on in the scheme of things right now, so don't go telling anyone else yet!

Being that we both have been to WDW numerous times, both together and apart, there isn't the need for the kind of crazy running around to make sure we get everything done type of trip. We had actually planned it with the idea that it would be our last trip together before kids. To make matter somewhat easier, she isn't a huge thrill ride gal. Sure she is going to miss Splash Mt and really sad that she isn't going to get to go on Everest, as we haven't been since it opened, but, TOT isn't really her thing.

But we will certainly keep in mind the tons of water thing. Good tip! And we will have to look into about a wheelchair. The only thing that means, is I have to push....the things you do for love. Oh well.

If anyone has any other comments or suggests, please keep 'em coming, as we would greatly appreciate it.

Mommy06
08-29-2007, 10:31 AM
I am so happy to see that everybody had a good time in Disney reguardless of being pregnant or not. My husband and I are going in May 2008 with my family. Our daughter will be almost 2 by then and we would like to be pregnant by that time next year. We have been debating whether or not we should hold off on trying to get pregnant again due to the Disney trip. Sounds a little silly to put something like this off just for a vacation, but we've been looking forward to this trip for quite a while. I'm glad to hear that you can have just as much fun while being pregnant. :mickey:

BelleBeauty
08-29-2007, 12:50 PM
First: CONGRATS! to all of you who posted and are expecting (or expecting to be expecting).

I think the suggestions above were great. I add to that - consider the dining plan (if you weren't going to) or even the deluxe dining plan. Take more time to make great ADRs (especially for those restaurants you won't be visiting after the kids come), linger over meals, take romantic strolls and experience the things you never do when you travel commando style. Maybe go to FW for a carriage ride or to see a campfire movie, see more shows.

If you are character people, start making baby's first character scrap book - especially if your wife is showing a little bit - and have the characters pose with "baby." A great way to start the Disney craze!

Of course, you will have to scour the parks and resorts for all the baby items you can! Enjoy!

Wrigley
08-29-2007, 01:11 PM
On our last trip I was 5 months pregnant, and I still had a GREAT time!!!! The only rides that I didn't, and couldn't, go on were the obvious ones-Space and Splash Mountains, BTMR, EE, etc. Surprisingly, there are a ton of rides that your wife will still be able to go on. I had no problem whatsoever. I just made sure that I kept drinking water and taking breaks as needed. We'd head back to the resort in the afternoons to swim and rest, and we'd sit in the shade a few times while at the parks. I had a great time and would do it all over again!! Congratulations, and you will have a wonderful time!