PDA

View Full Version : Alfredo's Closing - Permanently!**Updated 4/19/07**

Ed
02-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Message originally posted by TiggTigg5 on 02-25-2007

WDW has announced that Alfredo's Restaurant, a fixture at the Italy Pavilion in Epcot for over 20 years, is closing permanently at the end of July, 2007.

There WILL be a replacement Italian restaurant opened in the same location, but at this writing WDW is releasing no further details. They do anticipate some downtime between Alfredo's closing and the opening of the new restaurant. WDW does expect the new facility to participate in the Magic Your Way dining plan.

Guests who have already made reservations past the closing date will be contacted by WDW to provide assistance in making alternate arrangements.

Alfredo's operates another restaurant in New York City; there is no word whether they will open a new facility in the WDW area.

:(

Message updated by Figment! on 03-01-2007

Disney has published this document (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showpost.php?p=1210481&postcount=86)for Cast Members to answer Guest's questions regarding the closure.

This updated announcement pushes the closure back 30 days from the original announcement Ed reported. The last day of operation is now set for August 31, 2007.

Message updated by Figment! on 04-19-2007

Disney has announced (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=102504) a replacement for the location.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
02-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Wow! What a shocker :confused: We never had the opportunity to dine there, but I was under the impression that it was one of the WS restaurants that booked up first. Surely they were making money, why would they close?

Checkers
02-25-2007, 05:42 PM
This is a shock but after the meal/service we had there last Sept., it doesn't surprise me. The food might as well have been preplated and the waiter we had was downright surly because we didn't add an extra tip on the bar bill (already had an 18% gratuity added on the bill and we were shocked about that). I think the DDP has hurt many of the TS restaurants. On the two previous occasions we were at Alfredo's we had excellent service and food but lately I have heard it was hit and miss. Still, I am sorry to see it go.

SBETigg
02-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Wow. Maybe we'll actually get a good Italian restaurant in there! It was not one of my favorites. The alfredo was excellent, but service, atmosphere and menu choices were lacking for me. Sorry, Alfredo fans. Of course, it's risky business. It would be awful if we end up with an Olive Garden type place instead, or something not so authentic or fun.

Pop Centurion
02-25-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm shocked as well. I liked the food at Alfredo's but I do agree they need a more "Authentic" Italian restaurant as a replacement.

dixielandings
02-25-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm about to cry. I got engaged at Alfredo's! We were just there last weekend - it was wonderful. I don't get it.

EpcotNut
02-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Say what you will - Alfredo's was an original (i believe) and will be missed. Sad to see it go!:confused:

ElenitaB
02-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Alfredo's operates another restaurant in New York City; there is no word whether they will open a new facility in the WDW area.
Personally, I loved getting Bellinis at Alfredos.

Ed, had you not posted this little tidbit about there being an Alfredo's here in NYC, I would have never known. Turns out I worked two blocks away but the restaurant just never made a name for itself (it got some pretty awful reviews on the Zagat guide though).

ncbyrne
02-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Once was enough for me, I didn't care for the room, the service or the food. I am looking forward to a new Italian dining experience! It's sure to be an improvement.

bouncer
02-25-2007, 07:37 PM
We were there for the first time for the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package in early December. We loved it! Other than being pricey, we had great service and they sang, "That's Amore" by our table. I know lots of people have had bad experiences but the place was absolutely jammed when we were there and lots more waiting to get in. I will miss it. :(

tinksmom02
02-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Wow! What a shocker :confused: We never had the opportunity to dine there, but I was under the impression that it was one of the WS restaurants that booked up first. Surely they were making money, why would they close?

Wow...my mom was kind of disappointed that we didn't eat there our last trip...I kind of gave her the "next time" attitude LOL Whoops...

May524
02-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Once was enough for me, I didn't care for the room, the service or the food. I am looking forward to a new Italian dining experience! It's sure to be an improvement.

I felt the exact same way! I went 2x and I've never had the desire to go back. I'm excited to see a new restaurant in this location.

Natazu
02-25-2007, 08:53 PM
:cry:
Is it Alligator Tears since it's Florida or still just Crocodile Tears?

alpro2
02-25-2007, 09:22 PM
I always make it a point to dine there. It will be missed. :(

DisnIse
02-25-2007, 09:29 PM
OK, I didn't realize that the EPCOT restaurants were not owned/operated by WDW. I just assumed that it was a WDW entity in itself.

Hmm... I have some suggestions of some Chicago-Italian places that I'd love to have down at WDW....

Crow
02-25-2007, 10:16 PM
ive eaten there but didnt think that much of it. that was a few yrs ago, and i kept stopping to look at the menu but kept going on to other places...
lets hope something good takes its place...
of course i dont like any places closing at WS as i eat most in WS. and it will mean the others might b busier

Mnchknbrat1982
02-25-2007, 11:41 PM
dang I hate hearing this. I was planning to eat here at our trip in September since we're on the dining plan. Now I've got to find somewhere else .........what's your recommendations? I'm already doing Le Cellier

Nekochan
02-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Well, if anyone ever gets to NYC, the best fettucine alfredo is at restaurant Luna in little italy. It is a dark, seedy looking dive with the best food ever - especially the alfredo.

Spaceship Tigger
02-26-2007, 07:56 AM
I liked the food at Alfredo's but the cramped dining area and terrible service (which I at least partially attribute to the dining plan) made us not want to go back. My only worry about this is that it leaves one fewer (and busy) restaurant in WS for our September trip, therefore increasing crowds at the others.

DVC2004
02-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Wow! We liked Alfredo's. I'll be sad to see it go.:(

kakn7294
02-26-2007, 08:53 AM
I've never been as the menu didn't really appeal to me. I'm not a huge fan of Italian. I did plan to eat there someday though - guess not now since my trip is in August. Oh well, I hope whatever new comes is good!

wagjb
02-26-2007, 09:39 AM
I just called Disney Dining and they know nothing of Alfredo's closing in July. They are still actively taking reservations out to 180 days. Can this be double-checked? My daughter has this as her #1 choice for our trip in August.

Thanks.

Greg.

MMouse6937
02-26-2007, 09:50 AM
I would like to know too. I am getting ready to make our ADRs for Sept pretty soon and we really like to go here every year. Hopefully there will be more info coming through soon.

wagjb
02-26-2007, 09:56 AM
I know what you mean. Last weekend I sat my two kids down and told them this time they each got to pick one TS restaurant thet they want to go to. My son picked Japan and my daughter picked Italy. Now there is a good chance we will get neither. Bummer!!

Bethis26fan
02-26-2007, 10:35 AM
I had hoped to go there in Nov, guess not now huh. :) Maybe the new Italin place will be open then.

Carol
02-26-2007, 10:38 AM
I just called Disney Dining and they know nothing of Alfredo's closing in July. All that means is Disney has not updated their computer system. Typically the Dining Cast Members can only tell you what pops up on their computer screen.

TiggTigg5 has a direct source internally at Disney. He would not have posted the announcement if it was not official.

wiltsan
02-26-2007, 10:55 AM
I am heartbroken by this news and would love to know the reasoning, anyone? I agree with the folks that say it is hit or miss and it certainly wasn't the best Italian food (we have Boston's North End here) but we always looked forward to eating at Alfredo's during our WDW trips. Before our DD was born and after, Alfredo's was a restaurant that you could stand by to have a good time and have a hearty meal. I always ordered off the menu - penne bolegnese - which the staff never minded and we would have a bottle of wine and great aps. The entertainment was boisterous and fun and who can not love the accents on the waiters ; ). Finally, my DD loves spaghetti so when we went to Alfredo's we were able to have somewhat of an "adult night" feel while appeasing her too. This is a huge restaurant and WS might be in a dining crunch with the refurb of Tepanyaki at the same time.

Grazia Alfredo's - you will be missed !

KAT1811
02-26-2007, 11:12 AM
I just called Disney Dining and they know nothing of Alfredo's closing in July. They are still actively taking reservations out to 180 days. Can this be double-checked? My daughter has this as her #1 choice for our trip in August.

I too just called WDW and they told me that until the dining system is updated it is not official. Although I'd be hard pressed to see this site be wrong. We too were going to eat there is Sept. I guess it's farewell to Alfredo's. :sadwave:

Is there any info as to how long it is going to take WDW to replace the restaurant? Will there be somewhere to dine in Italy come Sept?

NJGIRL
02-26-2007, 11:57 AM
I am shocked. This is one of our favorite places in EPCOT and we eat there every trip. Our food and service has always be very good. I will miss this place.

Kris517
02-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Since I won't be able to order it anymore.....

anyone have the recipe for their Fettechini (sp?) alfredo???

JPL
02-26-2007, 12:03 PM
I have to say I was not a big fan of Alfredo's I know it has meaning to some people and holds great memories and for this reason I am sad to see it go. But I am yet to find good Italian anywhere in or near WDW. Call me spoiled I guess.

Figment78
02-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Add me to the list of people who are really sad to see Alfredo's go. Yes, it isn't the best Italian place i've ever been to. But I LOVED their fetuccine alfredo (the only time I spluge and order it, actually b/c it's so worth it!). Plus I liked actually going into the Italy pavillion to get to it. Until the new restaurant is open, I hope people still wander back there for the atmosphere!

So glad we ate there last month!

(For anyone interested in the recipe, I believe it is in one of the Gourmet Mickey cookbooks that they sell in the parks.)

ktm
02-26-2007, 12:42 PM
I too never ate there - mainly because I get Italian a lot and feel like we have some great restaurants for Italian food near us. But I liked the stories of people being trained at the Alfredo's in Italy and coming back to work in Epcot... I always figured some day I'd be in the mood for really good Fettucini Alfredo and head there... oh well - sigh. Hopefully what comes will be somewhat authentic and not chainy.
-KTM

lightyearfan
02-26-2007, 12:55 PM
very saddened to hear about this news!! we have eaten at Alfredo's on everytrip down, i'm glad that will be there in June so at least we can get 1 more in!, now to answer the post's before mine about how bad the food was on this trip and that trip, you can't tell me that everytime you've eaten at the Rose&Crown or Lecelluir etc, that the food was spot on all the time?? you know Wayne Gretzky was and still is the greatest hockey player to skate (well maybe Bobby Orr is a close 2nd) and play the game of hockey and even he couldn't score a goal in every game!! GIVE ALFREDO'S THE DO THAT IT NEEDS!!!

Victor

SBETigg
02-26-2007, 12:56 PM
L'Originale Fettucine Alfredo (from L'Originale Alfredo di Roma's):

Ingredients:

1 lb. fresh fettuccine noodles

4 quarts boiling, salted water

1 cup unsalted Plugra butter, softened (Plugra butter is higher in fat than ordinary butter and can be found in gourmet-type grocery stores. You could substitute regular unsalted butter but you will taste a difference.)

1/3 to 1/2 cup Parmegiano Reggiano cheese, freshly grated

Prep:

Melt Plugra butter over very low heat. Whisk in grated parmesan cheese; continue whisking over a low heat until the cheese melts and the butter/cheese sauce becomes a creamy consistency. Drop fettuccine in boiling salted water. Cook until noodles float to the top of the pot (2 to 3 minutes). Drain immediately and place in large pasta bowl; toss with sauce. Garnish with freshly cracked black pepper.

SteveL
02-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Compared to the last meal I had at Alfredo's, in November, Olive Garden would be a step up.

SmartOne
02-26-2007, 02:02 PM
WOW! What a shock. Just like everyone else, I am very suprised and caught off guard. I am sure like everything else at WDW it has to do with money (prob. how much more WDW wanted).

Although I love Alfredos, I kind of agree with some people here on this post. I was there in December and the food was not the greatest and the service definitely was a major step down. I will miss it though.

Tinkerfreak
02-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Although we have not eaten here in a few years it was the first place we ate on our very first Disney trip as a family back in 2002. We always consider eating there but always decide to try something new. In Dec. we had an adr and ended up canceling it to go someplace else. Now I kind of wish we had gone one last time. DH and I are taking a short trip at the end of April so maybe he and I will get one last chance to eat there but i don't think it will be the same without our DD's. I guess all we can do is try to think good thoughts and hope they put something really special in its place.

JPL
02-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Compared to the last meal I had at Alfredo's, in November, Olive Garden would be a step up.

I couldn't agree with you more :thumbsup:

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
02-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Arrivederci and good riddance! Looking forward to a better Italian dining experience coming soon.

wdwvacationeer
02-26-2007, 02:41 PM
My neighbor has reservations for this August at Alfredo's, so being curious she called the dining number and then Alfredo's itself too. She was concerned at the fact that she had not received a phone call or anything about it closing and would want to make a new reservation else where asap. Both said that they have NOT heard anything about it closing. :confused: They are still taking reservations and keeping the reservations that are already have booked through August and beyond.:confused:

firefan43
02-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Nnnnooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Santuitman
02-26-2007, 03:45 PM
I am shocked too. We had our wedding dinner there and have eaten there whenever we go back. I must say the last time we were there in '05 the service was alittle off but the assistant waiter made up for it. We ended up tipping him separately as he treated us so well!
They say change is good though....

Mnchknbrat1982
02-26-2007, 05:13 PM
don't believe this yet! My travel agent just spoke to disney and as far as they are aware of right now its not closing.

GrumpyFan
02-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Arrivederci and good riddance! Looking forward to a better Italian dining experience coming soon.

:ditto: It wasn't that great, looking forward to something new.

Ed
02-26-2007, 06:06 PM
I can understand there being some doubt about the authenticity of the information, but I can assure you that written verification DOES exist, and this WILL happen.

Like any other large organization, WDW occasionally suffers from the "10% who never get the information" syndrome. And it is possible that the "official" announcement has not yet happened, so CMs are reluctant to release any info until that happens.

Has anyone inquired via e-mail to [email protected] ?

Stay tuned...

DVCWDWMEMBER
02-26-2007, 06:15 PM
Since I won't be able to order it anymore.....

anyone have the recipe for their Fettechini (sp?) alfredo???

The recipe for Fettuccine Alfredo is in the Cooking with Mickey cookbook that I bought years ago. Not sure if you can find it in the new cookbook.

I too will miss going to eat there. :sadwave: :crying: Our family loved it. Hope the new restaurant will be Authentic Italian. As stated in past posts we don't want something that is not authentic. It sure takes away from the experience. Then you may as well eat at Olive Garden.

MinniesMom
02-26-2007, 06:26 PM
I was never a fan either but I do feel for the people who had special occasions/moments there.

I placing my vote or rather crossing my fingers for Carmine's NYC! They seem to be expanding in the resort direction. Although I am not sure if Carmine's is more about NYC than Italy but ask anyone.....the best Italian meal ever! E-V-E-R! And this is coming from an Italian.

Shhhh, don't tell my grandmother I said that:secret:

stephansgal
02-26-2007, 06:54 PM
hate to see it close, because now I'll never see my favorite waiter, Allesandro (the one from Florence) again!! He's been there for my last three trips, and he always acts like he remembers me and the fam! I'll miss him as much as the alfredo...

ccnykamp
02-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Noooooooooooo!

I can't believe there are so many people glad to see Alfredos go. :confused: If I could I would climb in the bowl and roll around in the fettucini alfredo.

DisneyGiant
02-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Looking forward to a new restaurant at Epcot - let alone an Italian one!

Clotho
02-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Frankly, the cuisine at Alfredo's was authentic Italian. Most Americans are so used to American versions of Italian, they think that the authentic version is "{bad}". I am not surprised that so many people didn't like the food, palates in American being what they are.

I loved it. It is so rare to find authentic Italian cuisine in my neck of the woods, so it was a rare pleasure to have it there. I will miss it!

As far as the information on closure goes, coming from a restaurant background, I have to say I would be surprised if any official announcement was made to the staff about the closing of the place before it closed. It is VERY easy to steal in the restaurant biz, and as such, when staff is aware of closures, theft goes way up. So most restaurants close their doors and don't tell their staff anything. You show up and the doors are closed, or you get a phone call telling you not to come into work because it is closed. Saves on the theft that would happen otherwise...

dtootsie42
02-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Wow, what a huge surprise. I'm sorry to see it close, even though it was not our favorite place to dine, but I realize several people loved going there.

big blue and hairy
02-27-2007, 06:30 AM
Frankly, the cuisine at Alfredo's was authentic Italian.

It was authentic regional Italian. Saying Alfredo's is authentic Italian is like saying biscuits and gravy are authentic American. They are, but there's a lot more to it.

Alfredo's commits one of the worst restaurant sins, they are inconsistent. One visit, they are fantastic, the next.....eh....

:sulley:

DVCWDWMEMBER
02-27-2007, 06:50 AM
Frankly, the cuisine at Alfredo's was authentic Italian. Most Americans are so used to American versions of Italian, they think that the authentic version is "****". I am not surprised that so many people didn't like the food, palates in American being what they are.

I know what you mean. I am European and find it funny too with the way the food is labeled as authentic here. Most restaurants here change things a bit so that the Americans will come to eat.
I sure will miss Alfredo's and now I feel bad that I didn't put it on our list when we were at WDW last November. It will already be gone when we go back this November. I am hoping that a new restaurant will be open for us to try.

bicker
02-27-2007, 07:46 AM
WDW has announced that Alfredo's Restaurant, a fixture at the Italy Pavilion in Epcot for over 20 years, is closing permanently at the end of July, 2007.This is great news IMHO. This place is one of the only TS restaurants that we've never tried, due to how consistently it has received poor reviews from folks who's reviews have been useful to us in the past. Hopefully, the replacement will be substantially better -- it'll be great to have the chance to try a wholly brand-new restaurant at WDW for a change.

And if we're especially lucky, maybe the new restaurant will be Disney-owned.

bicker
02-27-2007, 07:49 AM
OK, I didn't realize that the EPCOT restaurants were not owned/operated by WDW. Le Cellier, Rose and Crown, Biergarten, Akershus, Coral Reef, Garden Grill - Disney-owned

Marrakesh, Chefs de France/Bistro de Paris, Teppanyaki, (Alfredo's), Nine Dragons, San Angel Inn - Not Disney-owned.

bicker
02-27-2007, 07:52 AM
I am heartbroken by this news and would love to know the reasoning, anyone?It would be highly unusual for anyone to actually know the reason and be allowed to post it, assuming that there was just one reason (which itself is rather unlikely). Having said that, and making my own guess, contrary to what we might surmise from this thread, I doubt it has much to do with quality.

This is a huge restaurant and WS might be in a dining crunch with the refurb of Tepanyaki at the same time.Maybe they'll time the closure of Alfredo's with the reopening of Teppanyaki.

bicker
02-27-2007, 07:55 AM
hate to see it close, because now I'll never see my favorite waiter, Allesandro (the one from Florence) again!! FWIW, I don't think there is necessarily an implication there. He could very well find a position in another part of the pavillion or in another restaurant while the new restaurant is being installed, and then you may very well find him in that new restaurant once it opens. :thumbsup:

OctDisney
02-27-2007, 09:08 AM
If the restaurant does close, then I would like to see a complete refurbishment of the whole country in Epcot.

Being of Italian descent, there is so much they could do with the pavilion and it is really lacking.

How about an outdoor cafe/deli/cs where you can sit relax to some Italian music and sip some wine.

Also, put in the gondola ride or something similar.

As far as the restaurant, I have not eaten there in years, but the pavilion lacking in excitement, I chose to go elsewhere. Example - prefer Biergarten for atmosphere and show
prefer France for the overall theme, pastry shop and movie
prefer UK for overall theme, shopping and pub
prefer Norway for the ride and theme
prefer Mexico for the entire theme of the marketplace

Italy has so much to offer, yet nothing.

DisneyorBust
02-27-2007, 09:47 AM
I feel for those who have enjoyed dining at Alfredo's, it's always difficult to see a favorite disappear. That being said, I won't miss it. We only dined there once and that was enough for us. Service was poor and the Alfredo itself was a plate of pasty pasta. We have had much better locally. Sure, it could have be just a bad day to try it but restaurants, just like people, only have one chance to make a first impression.

BrerSchultzy
02-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Hey guys! I'm kinda freaked out...here's why:

In 1998, as part of my college graduation, my parents took me and my girlfriend to Disney World. Now, they didn't much like this girl, cuz my parents thought she was controlling and boring...and they were right (for those of you that know me, my wife is very definitely neither).

Anyway, when we went to the Magic Kingdom, we ate at El Pirata y el Perico and the Plaza Pavilion (we did just graduate from college, after all). At DS, we ate at the Soundstage restaurant and for dinner, we grabbed something at the Backlot Express and went to see HOND. The next day was Animal Kingdom, and we splurged to have lunch at the Rainforest Cafe (still there, FOR NOW...just kidding) but when we left, we went to DTD to have dinner at the Gourmet Pantry. Then, on our final day, we decided to go all out...we headed to EPCOT, and for lunch, we went to Au Petit Cafe, and dinner was, of course, at Alfredo's.

So, in other words...not only is it my fault that Alfredo's is going away, but now we have to be careful about the Rainforest Cafe in AK.

Anybody else think someone was trying to tell me something? It's kinda like that movie Final Destination, but without the dying.

RazdOnDis
02-27-2007, 10:18 AM
I think I've heard more complaints about Alfredo's, especially the service, than any other restaurant in WDW. We ate there about five years ago and have not been back so I only have the one experience but it was not a good one. We had an indifferent, unattentive waiter who brought us cold food and there was no warmth or feeling of 'We're glad you're here!". In fact, I got the feeling that they couldn't wait for us to leave. I won't miss it.

MsMin
02-27-2007, 10:26 AM
I've already missed it :( It just doesn't seem the same as it was 24 years ago. It was the very first restaurant we dined at in Dec. 1982 when EPCOT opened and we loved it. The last time we ate there was Dec. 2005- It used to be a must do and this past year we didn't bother to eat there.
Our service there in 2003 was excellent. The girls loved the young Italian waiter doting over them. I haven't been so pleased with the food.
Can't wait to see what they do with it.

Sunshine1010
02-27-2007, 10:27 AM
I went to Alfredo's for the first time in December 2005. I was there just as the restaurant opened for dinner and before they sat anyone, the Manager told us the story about the restaurant, the Alfredo, etc.....it was really nice.

We went for the second time in September 2006. This time, we had musicians, singers....it was really neat.

Both times I've gotten the Alfredo. It's awesome. The thicker...the better. he he

I am going to WDW again in March 2007. I just called and changed my reservation from Nine Dragons to Alfredo's....because, on this site, it states that they are closing in July of this year.

I got to talking to the Dining Reservation staff when I called and told her why I was changing my reservation....she said she had no idea.

I'm sad it's closing, but very excited to see the new restaurant.

I've never had a problem with the staff,...they were always nice to me. BUT....when I went to Wolfgang Pucks --- the waiter was 10x better. You can tell a difference between a good server and a GREAT server. It was incredible at Wolfgang Pucks.

Anyhow.....

Change is a part of life......even in the restaurant business.

DizNee143
02-27-2007, 12:52 PM
i am truly going to miss alfredos...i didnt go there everytime i was in disney but ive been there alot..i am soooo happy i went in Sept when i was in disney with my sister...im really gonna miss it...but i really wish we would get some kind of explanation on why they choose to close this restuarant down!!!!!

BhamWriter
02-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Frankly, the cuisine at Alfredo's was authentic Italian. Most Americans are so used to American versions of Italian, they think that the authentic version is "{bad}". I am not surprised that so many people didn't like the food, palates in American being what they are.

I loved it. It is so rare to find authentic Italian cuisine in my neck of the woods, so it was a rare pleasure to have it there. I will miss it!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I just got back from overseas where I didn't eat Americanized Italian; to my American palate, it wasn't nearly as good. I think that many people who don't like Alfredo's are those who are accustomed to Americanized Italian (which is typically sweeter than "authentic" foreign cuisine).

Camping Mom
02-27-2007, 06:22 PM
I couldn't believe it when I read it. Our family went here with the Candlelight Processional package. It was Christmas Eve, pouring down rain, and we got in and had a ball waving our napkins and singing Italian (or at least our version of it!) It was such a great time. My husband still talks about how good the salmon was. I agree with a previous poster though. I thought this was a DW restaurant..didn't know you could "bring in your own". But they allow McDonalds so who knows...I will keep an open mind and hope for good food and reviews from the next place.

DNS
02-27-2007, 06:49 PM
This was my favorite restaurant in all of WDW!
:jaw:

MickeyAD
02-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Awww that's a drag! We went for the first time this past August and loved it. I wasn't crazy about the food, but the atmosphere was awesome!

SallyP
02-27-2007, 08:19 PM
:cry:
Is it Alligator Tears since it's Florida or still just Crocodile Tears?

They can be whatever you want Jym. We have both, alligators and crocs :gator:, in southern Florida.

DisneyGiant
02-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I just got back from overseas where I didn't eat Americanized Italian; to my American palate, it wasn't nearly as good. I think that many people who don't like Alfredo's are those who are accustomed to Americanized Italian (which is typically sweeter than "authentic" foreign cuisine).

Funny - my initial thought was for them to replace the restaurant with one that could be found in Little Italy. Then immediately following that thought - I had a "D'oh" moment - I said to myself - "Little Italy is in the USA, you dodo!" :oops::goof::funny:

Darin M
02-28-2007, 01:08 AM
My girlfriend and I were denied dining at Alfredos due to some reservation technicalities, and we were set to eat there this August. One month too late.

What is Idle Prattle For?
02-28-2007, 01:48 AM
This has *always* been an extremely popular restaurant in WS, ("The Unofficial Guide to WDW" reports it is the *most* popular) which makes it's closing all the more puzzling.

If I had to guess, it's some behind the scenes wrangling between their owners and Disney management, possibly over the DDP.

Many TS restaurants seem to have suffered in DDP's aftermath. Many servers seem downright upset once you tell them you are on the plan.

Being independently owned, they make lots of their money from alcohol and sales of extra appetizers and such...It seems to me that the 'downward spiral' began shortly after the DDP was introduced.

It's sad to see them ago, of course, but also exciting wondering what will be built in it's place

We had our first meal there way back in '92, and the service and food was so perfect I remember it to this day.

lightyearfan
02-28-2007, 01:07 PM
This is great news IMHO. This place is one of the only TS restaurants that we've never tried, due to how consistently it has received poor reviews from folks who's reviews have been useful to us in the past. Hopefully, the replacement will be substantially better -- it'll be great to have the chance to try a wholly brand-new restaurant at WDW for a change.

And if we're especially lucky, maybe the new restaurant will be Disney-owned.

well lets see if we just went on reviews like movie critics, i wonder how many great films that we would have missed??? due to a critics own opionion of the movie, i've also heard bad things about le chef de france, but we've eaten their and thought that it was 1 of the best TS resturants that Disney has to offer! i can only speak for my family, as i said in an earlier post Alfredo's will be missed.

Victor

GenieOfPA
02-28-2007, 07:25 PM
i love alfredos and i am so sad to see it go... this may will be my last meal there :( hopefully the new italian restaurant they plan to put in its place will be just as good.

Donald A
02-28-2007, 07:38 PM
We ate there our past two trips and thought it was pretty good. I am sure it will be replaced by something just as good. I an Italian fan anyway.

Mnchknbrat1982
02-28-2007, 07:39 PM
until i hear official word from Disney I am still planning on making ADR's for here when I go. I am however going to double book so that I have an backup ADR in case this is true.

TheRustyScupper
02-28-2007, 09:27 PM
1) This is good news!
2) I usually recommended against this to people.
3) The problems I saw were
. . . tables too close to each other
. . . food was becoming bland & pedestrian
. . . service started to get too slow

Speedy1998
02-28-2007, 09:39 PM
OK, I didn't realize that the EPCOT restaurants were not owned/operated by WDW. I just assumed that it was a WDW entity in itself.

Some are operated by WDW some are not. I wonder if DDP is hurting the ones that are not operated by WDW. I notice that their are alot of complaints about DDP hurting service, and I have not experienced that, but when I started thinking about it, all my favorite TS are operated by Disney. Also most of my favorites are buffets or family style, so there is not much the server really has to do.

big blue and hairy
03-01-2007, 06:52 AM
Awww that's a drag! We went for the first time this past August and loved it. I wasn't crazy about the food, but the atmosphere was awesome!

I wonder how much the atmosphere will actually change. Disney would probably rather most people not really notice the change.

:sulley:

bicker
03-01-2007, 07:03 AM
well lets see if we just went on reviews like movie critics, i wonder how many great films that we would have missed??? Why all the sarcasm? I know that certain critics share my tastes very closely, and listening to their reviews is a sure-fire way of avoiding the bad films.

I'm sorry you'll be losing one of your favorites. However, I'll be happy to see it replaced.

bicker
03-01-2007, 07:14 AM
So far there has been no corroboration of this from any other sources. Why don't any of our other traditional sources for Disney dining news know about this yet, or even have gotten wind of it?

GrumpyFan
03-01-2007, 10:37 AM
So far there has been no corroboration of this from any other sources. Why don't any of our other traditional sources for Disney dining news know about this yet, or even have gotten wind of it?

I concur. I've looked at numerous sites and sent a few emails to different "usually reliable" sources, but so far I have nothing that would confirm this.
ANYBODY?

CousinLouie
03-01-2007, 01:54 PM

As far as the information on closure goes, coming from a restaurant background, I have to say I would be surprised if any official announcement was made to the staff about the closing of the place before it closed. It is VERY easy to steal in the restaurant biz, and as such, when staff is aware of closures, theft goes way up. So most restaurants close their doors and don't tell their staff anything. You show up and the doors are closed, or you get a phone call telling you not to come into work because it is closed. Saves on the theft that would happen otherwise...

I cannot agree with you about the authenticity of this restaurant.

I have spent a great deal of time in various regions of Italy, and none of the items we ordered at this restaurant were anything remotely authentic. The last time we were there, my wife ordered a seafood pasta dish which was completely bland. I ordered the Caprice Salad with the fresh mozzarella cheese, and the quality of the cheese was akin to what I could purchase at a national supermarket from a Maggio container. The calimari was rubbery and bland as well.

As far as the fettuccine Alfredo goes, the dish itself is not native to the old country. This pasta creation hails from New York, and done right, it is absolutely amazing (although very unhealthy). I was astounded that they do not use heavy cream for the recipe in WDW – it is the signature ingredient in the dish. Finally, the parmagiano-reggiano cheese that they used also seemed to be of a lower quality (perhaps I was imagining). The best versions of this dish add complexity by incorporating hints of other cheeses (fontina, or even better, Locatelli Peccorino Romano). The pasta did seem freshly made, though.

Anyway, as pompous as I know I am coming across in this thread, Italian food is near and dear to my heart (probably literally too much so!). The “authentic” food in Italy bursts with flavor and freshness, and yes, it is very difficult to capture that authenticity in the States. You definitely need a specialty import store nearby.

I will end this rant on an optimistic note, however, by stating that this is an awesome opportunity (as has been suggested) for the Italy of the World Showcase to really upgrade its image. We have been to this restaurant previously to soak in the ambiance and interact with the waiters (who were delightful), and I look forward to a hopefully improved menu.

Salute!

Figment!
03-01-2007, 08:36 PM
To settle any doubt on this issue (although Ed is extremely reliable on these matters ), the following has now been published for Cast Members to pass along to Guests and answer their questions:
Exciting new changes are coming to the Italy Pavilion at Epcot that will further enhance the Guest experience.

Our contract with L’Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante will reach its conclusion on August 31, 2007. While we have enjoyed working with the Alfredo’s Group since Epcot opened, we are finalizing plans to develop a new Italian restaurant concept.

This builds upon the original vision for World Showcase, which was designed to continually evolve and offer new Guest experiences that showcase cultures, traditions and immersive entertainment from around the world.

We look forward to announcing more details in true Disney fashion once all the particulars are finalized.

FAQ's
Q1.Why are you making this change?

We have an opportunity to further enhance the Guest experience and build upon the original vision for World Showcase, which was designed to continually evolve and showcase cultures, traditions and immersive entertainment from around the world.

Q2.Why after so many years?

Although it has been a privilege to be the home to Alfredo’s Restaurant for more than 20 years, Epcot is transitioning to a new Italian dining experience where Italy’s rich history and vibrant culture will continue to enrich the Guest experience.

Q3.When will Alfredo’s close?

Alfredo’s is currently scheduled to close at the end of August 2007.

Q4.When will the new restaurant open?

Although details are still coming together, we expect the restaurant to close temporarily during the transition process.

Q5.What is coming in its place?

While we are not ready to announce this new restaurant, we are currently finalizing negotiations with a strategic partner. We look forward to sharing more details once they are finalized.

Q6.Will this change impact the Food & Wine Festival?

No. Everything will operate as normal for this year’s International Food & Wine Festival.

Q7.What will happen to the existing employees?

All affected employees will be presented with options, which will vary based on their current job function and individual set of circumstances.

Q8.What if a Guest already has a reservation booked for the restaurant (that occurs after its last day of operations); what should they do?

As of this time, there are no dining reservations booked that will be impacted by this change.

Q9.Has Alfredo’s Restaurant relocated in the local area?

While Alfredo’s has an established restaurant in New York City, we have not received any information about a venue in the Central Florida area.

Q10.Will the new Italian dining experience be a part of the Magic Your Way dining plan?

Yes, we expect the new Italian dining experience will participate in the Magic Your Way dining plan.

Q11.Will the new Italian dining experience continue to have Cultural Representatives from Italy to lend to a truly genuine Italian experience?

Yes.

Q12.Will this change impact any other venues within the Italy Pavilion or World Showcase?

No.
Looks like the closure was delayed about 30 days from the original internal announcement, which would explain why reservations were still being accepted for August.

Carol
03-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't know what you are all looking for. Ed just gave the facts. He would never report something without firsthand knowledge! The information has been release internally at Disney. He is passing it on to you all in advance.

Disney dining is a bank of computers. If the information is not entered in - the cast members do not know. Sheesh!

I think our reputation should speak for itself. Just like we had the inside scoop on Pirates closing. We scooped this. Oy.

I just don't get it. :bang:

wendy*darling
03-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Way to go Ed!!! :number1:

I never doubted you for a second!

I am looking forward to seeing what the new restaurant "experience" will be!

pjbs35a
03-01-2007, 09:25 PM
I don't know what you are all looking for. Ed just gave the facts. He would never report something without firsthand knowledge! The information has been release internally at Disney. He is passing it on to you all in advance.

Disney dining is a bank of computers. If the information is not entered in - the cast members do not know. Sheesh!

I think our reputation should speak for itself. Just like we had the inside scoop on Pirates closing. We scooped this. Oy.

I just don't get it. :bang:

A bunch of folks didn't believe Noah when he said it was going to rain either!

When Ed says it, I take it to the bank.

Hey Ed, send me an email with the lottery numbers. We will split the winnings. :thumbsup:

John
03-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Amen to what Carol said - we don't report anything as FACT without knowing it will happen - other wise it is reported as RUMOUR. There is a clear difference between the two.

Thanks again to the ICOT team for REPORTING IT FIRST! - Yet AGAIN! When you want to know "what in the world is going on" - you come to INTERCOT.

dtootsie42
03-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks Ed for all your info!!!!

bicker
03-02-2007, 06:18 AM
I concur. I've looked at numerous sites and sent a few emails to different "usually reliable" sources, but so far I have nothing that would confirm this.
ANYBODY?I've heard back from one of my other usually reliable source which has now gotten wind of this. It's real.

bicker
03-02-2007, 06:20 AM

I just don't get it. :bang:No, I think you misunderstood some of the comments (at least mine). It is one thing to learn about something a matter of hours before other sources, but Ed scooped the other sources by a matter of days. I think folks are or should be blown away by how far in advance Ed told us about this, as compare to other sources of advance information. It is highly unusual -- utterly remarkable -- for just one of these sources to gain access to this kind of information so much earlier than the rest. :beer:

Ian
03-02-2007, 07:40 AM
As far as the fettuccine Alfredo goes, the dish itself is not native to the old country. This pasta creation hails from New York, and done right, it is absolutely amazing (although very unhealthy).Actually, that's totally incorrect. The dish has its roots in the pasta with butter and cheese that is about as authentic Italian as you can get. Fettuccine Alfredo itself was invented and popularized in Italy.

From wiki:

History

Pasta tossed with cheese and butter or cream have a long history both in Italy and abroad.

It was popularized among American tourists in Rome by the restauranteur Alfredo di Lelio, who served it with his own name attached:

Fettuccine al burro is associated in every tourist's mind with Rome, possibly because the original Alfredo succeeded in making its serving a spectacle reminiscent of grand opera.
The restaurant's story is that the dish was invented by di Lelio at his restaurant Alfredo alla Scrofa in 1914 as a variation of fettuccine al burro. When butter was added both before and after fettuccine was put in the serving bowl, the butter was known as doppio burro (double butter). Di Lelio's original contribution was to double the amount of butter in the bowl before the fettuccine would be poured in, thus a triplo burro (triple butter) effect instead of double.

As the story goes, Fettuccine Alfredo became extremely popular, and di Lelio's restaurant attracted many celebrities. Two of these were Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks, who fell in love with the dish while on their honeymoonin 1927, and gave him a golden fork to serve it. On their return to the United States they asked for the same recipe, and thus introduced it to the New World. It was also no doubt popularized by the opening of branches of the original Alfredo's in New York and the EPCOT Center in Orlando.

Despite the story, references to Fettuccine alfredo in American books and newspapers are sparse until about 1980. Fettuccine Alfredo has now become ubiquitous in Italian-American restaurants in the United States, though in Italy, it is mostly served to American tourists.

PrincessCandaceMarie
03-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Wow thats so sad to hear and read....:(

wolverine63
03-03-2007, 07:21 PM
The open dining plan for everyone has killed the epcot experience for us....i am sad to see alfredos go but would be open to something in it'''s place...lets face it..epcot dining is not what it was..

DisneyKim22
03-04-2007, 12:46 AM
It's been ages since I've posted anything, but when I read this today I almost cried. I know that many people do not share my enthusiasm for Alfredo's, but this was one of my favorite restaurants in the universe. I never, ever had a bad experience there. I cannot comment on the entire menu as I always ordered the fettucini, but I loved it! Living so close to Chicago, I am surrounded by wonderful Italian restaurants. Still, I looked forward to Alfredo's every year and am sad that we won't be able to enjoy it in November.

Ed
03-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Way to go Ed!!! :number1:

I never doubted you for a second!

In those immortal words of "The King"....

Thank ya. Thank ya very much.... :cool:

bicker
03-04-2007, 09:46 AM
lets face it..epcot dining is not what it was..That cuts both ways. I read message after message on online forums from folks saying how the Dining Plan has finally made table-service dining affordable enough for them. So for those folks, indeed Epcot dining is not what it was -- it's now a possibility; it's now something they can enjoy instead of something to be envious of. And apparently, the number of folks seeing this as a big big improvement is far greater than those of us who have always doing table-service dining at Epcot.

Figment!
03-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Just bumping up for the sake of those who may have missed this. ...

FamilyBand1
03-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the bump! This news made my day. I hated that place. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt a few times, but it was awful. Olive Garden was better!...and they're the McD's of Italian restaurants.

(Great Grandparents are direct from Calabria...sorry Olive Garden lovers.)

cindymouse6
03-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Just returned from WDW and Alfredo's --- I am shocked so many don't like this restaurant --- it is my FAVORITE!! My husband lived in Southern Italy (Palermo) for 2 years, speaks fluent Italian and states the food is truly authentic, just as he ate in Palermo. We go every trip and sometimes multiple times, speak to the staff in Italian and it is so much fun. So sad this is closing and LOVE the history of the restaurant. Wish they would sell duplicates of the Celebrity photos on the walls. I hate Olive Garden --- the thought makes me want to be sick. Can't believe anyone would prefer OG over Alfredo's.... perhaps Americans have over Americanized Italian just as we have Chinese food if OG is acceptable Italian... I even bought a new cookbook at Epcot that includes the Fett. Alfredo recipe. Will be very sad to see it close --- will have to learn to make it at home...

KAT1811
03-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the bump! This news made my day. I hated that place. I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt a few times, but it was awful. Olive Garden was better!...and they're the McD's of Italian restaurants.

(Great Grandparents are direct from Calabria...sorry Olive Garden lovers.)

My DH's great grandparents came from Calabria also! Not a huge fan of Alfredo's either. We're spoiled with fabulous italian food here (Federal Hill) and close by in Boston (Little Italy). Plus we live in Cranston which has a very large Italian population. Our old neighbors were born and raised in Italy. They would cook for us all the time. My favorite by far are the stuffed squash flowers!!! My middle DDs first food ever was pasta (pastina)!

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah-Dave
03-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Gotta tell ya', we were at Alfredo's at Christmas and it really wasn't so good. the service was sloooow ( I know, I know, it was Christmas!) and the food was not at all up to their standard. We've eaten there at least three or four times. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
ZADDDD

Dyanna
03-27-2007, 01:08 PM
My Dh & I ate here about 4 years ago. I was one of the worse experiences we have had. He got sick after dinner while we were watching the fireworks & I had the worst Alfredo sauce ever! When we returned I wrote Disney a letter & they had given us a full refund for our meal. Needless to say I am not sorry to see them go.

Fortgoofy97
03-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Too bad! My DW and I ate there for the first time last May. On a whim we decided to have lunch and had a truly WONDERFUL time! We passed on eating in the dining room and took a table outside! THe service was great! no one wanted to be outside so we had about 3 waiters instead of one. If we wanted anything all we had to do was motion a hand and someone was there. The food was superb! Do not remember what we had but we both enjoyed it it tremendously! While there we sat at a table next to a family from Mauritania. When we were both done with our meals we had a chance to talk with them which just added to the memorable experience. Do not know if we will get back before it closes, so to Alfredo's - Salute! and Grazie!

waltsadmirer
04-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Patina Group which is owned by Compass group PLC, who also owns Levy and Wolfgang puck will be taking over the Italian restaurant in EPCOT. Their chef is a French cuisine trained German and the company is English, that makes sense. Their restaurant "Naples" in Disneyland is one of the worst reviewed restaurants in Disney's whole lineup, makes you wonder who's getting the kickback?

Clotho
04-18-2007, 01:51 AM
Patina Group which is owned by Compass group PLC, who also owns Levy and Wolfgang puck will be taking over the Italian restaurant in EPCOT. Their chef is a French cuisine trained German and the company is English, that makes sense. Their restaurant "Naples" in Disneyland is one of the worst reviewed restaurants in Disney's whole lineup, makes you wonder who's getting the kickback?

What's your source? Can you link us or clue us in on how you were clued in?

Patina Group has many WONDERFUL restaurants as well. And I personally have had fabulous experiences with the FOOD at Naples. The service has been hit and miss, but that is a regional thing and specific managerial expectations, which can vary widely. So I am not assuming that will be the issue here.

bicker
04-18-2007, 06:45 AM
If true, this make sense. It sounds like Naples is the same as Alfredo's -- mediocre at best.

Carol
04-18-2007, 07:40 AM
What's your source? Can you link us or clue us in on how you were clued in?There are details about this in the News forum. Look for the Tidbits thread stickied at the top.

grego77
04-18-2007, 07:54 AM
I've been to Alfredos every time I've gone to Disney...and every time, it has gotten worse. I loved it the 1st time, then it was ok, and when I went New Years Eve it was horrible. I will be there next month, and I'm not going...kinda sad really.:(

Really too bad, because the servers are incredible (and very good looking too...ahhh the joys of being Italian! :thumbsup: )