PDA

View Full Version : Disney Princess Inspired Bridal Gowns

MaryBelle
02-25-2007, 02:09 PM
I didn't see this posted, hope it's ok to post the article, but I found it to be interesting...

Brides Can Soon Say 'I Do' Like a Princess

Christopher Boyd | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted February 23, 2007
If your nuptial dreams include a fairy-tale wedding, Walt Disney Co. might have the perfect solution.

The company is using its stable of imaginary princesses as inspiration for a new line of wedding gowns. Disney and bridal designer Kirstie Kelly have developed a line of ethereal gowns that pay homage to Cinderella, Jasmine, Snow White, Ariel and Sleeping Beauty.

"They will be high-fashion and very modern," said Paulette Cleghorn, president of Designer Loft Productions, a New York public-relations firm representing Kelly. "We are modernizing the princess concept. There is a difference between a girl who is inspired by Snow White and one who wants to dress like Snow White."

Cleghorn said women who buy from Disney's Fairy Tale Wedding collection are definitely in the inspired category. The gowns, she said, will only vaguely resemble the costumes made famous in Walt Disney movies and storybooks.

The gowns, which will retail from $1,100 to $2,900, initially will be sold at one location in Central Florida. Solutions Bridal in Winter Park will carry the line.

"It was a little bit of a surprise that we were chosen for this, but a wonderful surprise," Solutions Bridal Manager Monique Scollin said. "We have many brides who are married on Disney property, and I assume they will be our main customers for this line."

Disney will initially offer 34 gowns, a line that will be expanded to include bridesmaid dresses, flower-girl dresses and jewelry in October.

"The brand extensions will be inspired by the princesses as well," Cleghorn said. "Bridesmaid dresses will be called maidens and accessories will be called jewels."

Princess clothing and accessories have been a huge hit with girls ages 3 to 6. Disney has sold billions of dollars in costumes, dolls and related paraphernalia, and items adorned with Cinderella and her peers.

Disney is betting that the allure will extend to considerably older females who find the princesses' mystique intriguing.

The princesses collection will be displayed in New York in April and will go on sale in Orlando and Southern California in June, Cleghorn said. Later, the line will be available at bridal boutiques elsewhere in North America and Japan.

"This is not a collection that will be available at every store around the corner," she said. "But we are expecting a number of local retailing partners."

The release coincides with Disney's 2007 theme.

"This naturally ties into the Year of a Million Dreams," she said. "Think of it as one of those dreams."

PirateLover
02-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Oh, I can't wait to see what these look like! I bet they will be gorgeous....:thumbsup:

Jenemmy
02-25-2007, 04:59 PM
Oh, I can't wait to see what these look like! I bet they will be gorgeous....:thumbsup:

OK -- I'm gonna need to get married again! Hmmmm, wonder if my husband will mind???

lasttuesday
02-26-2007, 02:30 PM
Tokyo Disneyland has actually offered a line of Princess bridal dresses for quite some time now, but only through it's wedding packages. Info is on their website. I think there will be a pretty high demand for these, even outside of the "crazed Disneyphiles."

snskramer
02-26-2007, 09:38 PM
This also ran in the Wall Street Journal a few days ago with a few sketches. The dresses looked really beautiful. It will be fun to see pictures of new brides in them when they become available.

Bethanymouse
02-27-2007, 10:10 PM
As a future disney world bride I will definately have to check these out! Thanks so much for the info- do you know where we can see the sketches?

Kim Possible
02-27-2007, 11:10 PM
even though i'm only 16, i know when i get married, i'm going to HAVe to get one of those dresses. lol

Pumpkin22
02-28-2007, 03:21 PM
My fiance and I have decided to do a take on the Cinderella theme for our wedding since he proposed under the Castle. We receive champagne glasses as well from the castle that same day. These dresses would absolutely be the perfect touch!

Thanks for sharing the article!

PS: Does anyone know where I can find more information on these?

snskramer
03-01-2007, 08:53 PM
I found this pdf of the sketches from the Wall Street Journal.

http://www.weddingbee.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/sketch1.pdf

Lucille
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I like the idea but am I the only one that was a bit underwhealmed with the designs. I know most girls don't want line copies of cartoon dresses for their wedding day, but I think kind of look too much like every other wedding dress.

TinyTink
03-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I had actually heard about this a while back from a professor of mine and it was nice to finally read the article and see some sketches. I think that the concept behind the gowns is that they look more like 'regular' dresses on purpose. You can see the hints of the charaters personality and look in them, like giving the Cinderella a ballgown shape, and a mermaid cut (no pun intended) for Ariel's and roses on the Belle inspired gown. For the woman who is inspired by the princesses but wants to still wear a chic, 'high fashion', modern looking dress. I'm curious to see what the consumer reaction to the line is going to be!

DisneyOtaku
03-17-2007, 09:29 PM
I was really hopping for wedding dresses that looked like the actual princess gowns, but these look amazing as well! I really would like to wear the Sleeping Beauty or Belle one myself ^^

The Bookseller
03-18-2007, 12:46 AM
This will be interesting: Will Disney be able to adapt his magic to Bridal Gowns without making them look too flashy?

I can wait for real pictures!

EmiB
05-24-2007, 09:40 PM
I found pictures of the dresses here (http://honeymoons.about.com/od/destinationweddingwear/ss/disney_dresses.htm).

I am disappointed in the Snow White one...

psychotekkie
05-25-2007, 02:00 AM
The official site:

http://disneybridal.com/

Saw these a few months ago and wished I'd seen them 10 yrs ago when I was married.

4myprincesses
05-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Beautiful.

I love how there are so many timeless designs with a twist of today in them. Better start saving now for my four princesses as I am betting these don't come cheap!