PDA

View Full Version : My Pre-trip report

LibertyTreeGal
02-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Okay, we are 34 days out and I am SO excited! Haven't been to DL since 1998 on a VERY cold and rainy Valentines day with DH pre-kiddos.

Cast:

Myself, 37
2 DS - 6 (this is their surprise birthday trip)
Mom - 57
Dad - 59

We are driving 1080 miles from the Texas/New Mexico border but praise God we have a built in DVD player in the car. The boys think we are going to S Cal to visit my friends Don and Roger (Mickey or Minnie would be too obvious) and that we are camping on the way.

I plan on making a big deal of "getting lost" right before we hit the Katella Avenue exit, at which point I plan to hand them the maps and ask for their help -- Disney maps of course! At this point, half the cat will be out of the bag.

Sunday the 25th we will be checking into the concierge at the Anabella hotel. When we arrive Grandma and Grandpa should be there with a homemade scratch birthday cake (my mom still makes those). Depending on the weather, we will either go swimming or go to DTD, have dinner and then start our big vacation.

Monday, get up early and do the morning madness after breakfast at the hotel. Then off to City Hall for birthday buttons and we plan to enjoy DL all day, woohoo! Definitely planning on snacks at the Golden Horseshoe!

Tuesday, lounge around in the morning (or do a bit of time at DL, depending on the moods of everyone) and go to California Adventure, since we have never gone before. My boys are Pixar fanatics, so I am planning on collecting many autographs and taking lots of pictures.

Wednesday, back to DL, and we'll do dinner at Cafe Orleans so my mom can get her favorite crab cakes and dad can have a monte cristo sandwich.

Unfortunately no parades or fireworks are scheduled but that's okay by me -- more time to ride POTC. I can't wait to show my boys the REAL POTC, and Capn' Jack wasn't there yet when we went a year ago to WDW.

It's been hard keeping the secret, but if I don't the ride will be unbearable! I will be taking my 50th Anniversary audio library of Disneyland collection to listen to :)

Can't wait for the fun to begin! Any suggestions for must dos that are different from WDW? Not seeing much in the Unofficial Guide.

Thanks!

Carol
02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Can't wait for the fun to begin! Any suggestions for must dos that are different from WDW?Definitely hit the Fantasyland rides with your boys. The dark rides at Disneyland are awesome.

My best tip is to do everything - since even if the name is the same - the attraction will vary from WDW. And I agree - the original Pirates is beyond remarkable!

Have fun! :balloon:

Melanie
02-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Sounds like a great trip you have planned. I'd love to pull off a surprise trip one day. The next month will fly by! :mickey3:

Your sons will be in Pixar heaven at California Adventure. Don't miss the Monster's, Inc. attraction, Turtle Talk and Block Party Bash. And Lightning and Mater zoom around the Paradise Pier and Golden State areas of the park.

Have fun! :sulley: :nemo:

Disneyluvr2
02-19-2007, 10:17 PM
I wish I could be a little mouse in your car when you hand the boys the Disneyland map! How exciting!!! I'm not sure if they have it at WDW but they boys might enjoy the Jedi Training Academy. It looked like fun when we were there! Have fun and please fill us in when you get back!

ChipnDaleGal
02-21-2007, 12:07 PM
What a terrific surprise birthday trip for your boys!! I hope that you have a wonderful time. :mickey:

LibertyTreeGal
02-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately there will be no Block Party Bash that week !! I was so looking forward to that, but hopefully pirates training will make up for it. I didn't know that Jedi Academy was going on too, that will be awesome :)

DizNee143
02-23-2007, 04:29 PM
sounds good!! hope you all have fun!! :mickey:

DVC2004
02-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned! Have a great time.:mickey:

Christine
03-02-2007, 06:44 PM
That sounds great!

I am really enjoying reading all these DL topics...it is really making me want to go!

LibertyTreeGal
03-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Okay, five days to go -- my bags are packed and I have our finals plans made. Unless it snows between now and then I know exactly what we are doing and which route we are going to take.

I decided to treat my parents to a 38th anniversary dinner at the Blue Bayou on the first day in the parks. Dad and I are allergic to seafood so Mom rarely gets it (my boys get it often enough because I make Liberty Tree Tavern crab cakes for their daddy), so this will be a surprise treat for her.

On thursday we are going to the Plaza Inn for dinner -- I want to try this famous fried chicken -- and for their birthday celebration at 2pm. Sure the boys will be 6 years and 6 days old, but who cares :thumbsup:

I started crying this morning thinking about it!!!!!!!!! We are on our way to Texas to go to Sam's Club this morning to pick up groceries for the trip, and I bought the new Peter Pan DVD a few days ago. It looks AWESOME, soundtrack and picture are phenomenal!

Will I survive the wait until friday morning???

Disneyluvr2
03-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Sounds like you have some great things planned! I'm so excited for you LibertyTreeGal! Doesn't the waiting feel like when you were a kid waiting for Christmas or the last day of school? Have a great time and eat a piece of fried chicken for me!

faline
03-18-2007, 06:07 PM
What a great way to celebrate the birthdays of your children! Have a wonderful time!

tinkwest
03-18-2007, 07:44 PM
I can tell you are going to have a super time! Cant' wait to hear about it when you return. :tink:

nmbullrdr
03-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Good to see someone else from New Mexico on the boards. We live in Edgewood, just east of Albuquerque. We have always flown to Disneyland, but since it is now over $1200 for 4 of us to fly, we thought about driving to Disneyland this September. When you get back, let me know how the drive was. Have a great time!

NotaGeek
03-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Hey there... I was born and raised in Roswell (and I escaped when my parents moved to Phoenix after my HS Graduation!). We drove to Disneyland twice in my youth and it was crazy. We were lucky enough to have an RV, but my parents always planned a stop in Phoenix to visit my aunt and uncle, but that drive alone was about 11 hours, from Phoenix it's only about 5.5 hours to Disneyland. I have driven from Phoenix a couple of times and it's not bad, but MAN flying is easier. :mickey:

Libertytreegal is somewhere on the way to DLR now ... I am looking forward to hearing about their trip! Here's some pixie dust that it's as amazing as she hopes! :pixie: :pixie: