PDA

View Full Version : Shark Reef age???

ldc12377
02-18-2007, 10:52 AM
Is there an age or height requirement at Shark Reef? My DS8 and DD6 would like to try it but some books I have say they have to be 10 to do it and other books say there is no age limit. Does anyone know? If they can't do it, it will take from now to May to convince them of that.

wendy*darling
02-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I have not been able to find an age restriction for Shark Reef.
Here in Info Central (http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/waterparks/typhoonlagoon/default.asp)we state that children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult. I can tell you from past experience that this is correct.
Also, I can tell you that everyone must be able to float fairly calmly across the 60 foot pool of water. There is no kicking or "swimming" allowed. So your kids should be strong & calm enough swimmers to do this in very chilly water! There is no place to stop or stand.
They also have to keep their masks on and faces down in the water to see the fish/sharks. You just make one pass through the water and get out at the other end. You can repeat this process as many times as you want, but you do have to get out and get back in line to go again.

For anyone wishing to see the sharks without getting into the cold water- there is an observation area in an old "sunken" freighter right in shark reef.

I hope this will help you make your decision.

mamacatnv
02-19-2007, 12:33 AM
My DD 8 did it when we were there in January. They gave her a life vest to help her float and she had no issues. I was actually the one who chickened out. She LOVED it and I would definately at least give it a try.

There is a rock submerged that you can rest on, adjust masks etc. that is about 1/3 of the way across. There are also lifeguards in the water at all times.

sneezyone
02-19-2007, 11:43 AM
jsut be aware that the water is VERY cold. I wasn't expecting it and I had a difficult time. I have asthma that can be cold induced so tring to breathe through a tube and go across was very hard...It's one of the few things I've ever tried and failed at...and it still bothers me to this day...

pook@wdw
02-19-2007, 07:53 PM
The water is VERY cold. The only problem my DH and DD had was keeping the snorkel above water!!:D

mom*3
03-29-2007, 04:01 PM
My shorter than average DS went at age 6.5 with an adult. He had never snorkelled before, and is a good (not great swimmer). We went as soon as we got there, not long after the park opened. This is a great time to take a beginner, because there were few people there and the CMs were very helpful and didn't rush us at all. Also, if your child gets in and then "chicken's out," the CMs just let you both get out of the shark pool the way you got in. My son loved it, and we went again. Hope you have fun. Give it a try. And oh, yeah, it really is quite a cool temperature in there.

thrillme
03-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Yes the pool is quite "chilly". TIP: Sit and let your legs dangle in the water just a bit THEN slide in. Once you're IN the water then drop down. It's not so cold once you "adjust" to it.

Disneyatic
03-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Where is this shark reef at? I would love to see it, but probably from the observation area.