PDA

View Full Version : Worth getting to terminal super early?

DisneyRN
02-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Is it worth getting to the cruise terminal before 11am? We are planning on staying at a hotel near the port, so all we have to do in the morning is drive over. If you can't board until 1pm, is it worth getting to the terminal so early?

We hope to go at the end of September.
:captain:

TammiMcMan
02-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Boarding could begin as early as noon time. You'll get a numbered boarding pass, based on when you actually check in at the terminal. Lower numbers are called first. If you need to make dining reservations, Flounders or the Spa, then it's a really good idea to be there as soon as possible. Those lines start forming as soon as people get on the ship.

celebrationasheley
02-18-2007, 01:09 AM
There are characters in the "terminal" but no need to get there super early. The line moves pretty fast. Get there early but not so early where you will have to wait super long to get on the ship. Have fun....:mickey:

stitchfan
02-18-2007, 03:32 PM
We got to the terminal earlier than ever before for our last cruise; so early that they had not started letting people on board yet. They were handing out boarding passes based on when you got there. The pass is actually a group number so that you are allowed to go on board in the order in which you arrived. Even so, the terminal was a mob scene!

Of course, Disney is a master at crowd control, and we didn't really have to wait very long to either check in or to get on board. :thumbsup:

We did have reservations we wanted to make, change, and modify at the spa, Palo's, and at the excursion desk, and by getting into one of the first groups to board we wound up toward the front of the lines at the various desks.:D

BTW, if you have some time to kill, there is a huge cutaway model of the ship in the main terminal lobby, which is very cool to look at. You can get a photo with some of the Disney characters in front of the model if you are willing to queue up. The line moves pretty quickly, so you don't have to wait for long. The photos will be available in Shutters on board.:photo:

If you have restive kids, there is a TV area off to one side :tv: that continually shows Disney cartoons -- yes there are seats! It is a good place to park most of the family while one of you gets in line to check in.

Unless you really need to get in line for one of the reservation desks, there's no reason to show up much before noon, or even 1pm since lunch is offered all afternoon:eat: . You do want to be on board and have found your stateroom by about 3:30pm since there is a mandatory life boat drill at 4:30, and you need to get to your stateroom to find your life jackets and directions to your mustering area.

Have a great cruise!

Stitchfan:stitch2:

TammiMcMan
02-18-2007, 09:13 PM
You do want to be on board and have found your stateroom by about 3:30pm since there is a mandatory life boat drill at 4:30, and you need to get to your stateroom to find your life jackets and directions to your mustering area.You make a great point. This leads me to also point out that all ship services do stop between 3:30 and about 5pm for the muster drill. If you did have any reservations to make or change, you'll need to do them before 3:30 or wait until after the drill is over.

DisneyRN
02-18-2007, 09:30 PM
All the planning books I have read thus far have suggested to get there as early as 10am...is this an over shot?

I am not worried about me or DH getting bored. Its DD, who is the ultimate 4 year old wiggle worm, that I think will be bored.

What is the earliest anyone knows of for boarding? :sail:

TammiMcMan
02-19-2007, 12:37 AM
If you arrive as early as 10am, you will most likely be spending about 30 minutes waiting in your car. Most of the time, the terminal is not open until 10:30am for new cruisers. The earliest time I've seen boarding begin (personal experience) is noon time.

Wonderland7
02-24-2007, 01:54 AM
When went in Jan we got there around noon and I thought that worked out great. We only had to wait like 5 min to check in. Then we were able to walk right on the ship and went to the buffet for lunch. by the time we were done eating it was 1:30 and our room was ready. It was great for us since I had my laptop, Ipod, gameboy and didn't have to lug them around waiting for the room.

DisneyDudet
02-25-2007, 12:15 PM
We got there around 11ish and had boarding pass 6. It doesn't take long when they start boarding to get people through. We made a plan, the rest of the group heads to eat and I went to get the Palo's ressies. It worked like a charm. By the time I got there, there were no high tea spots available, but we were put on the waiting list.

I don't think waiting at the terminal is that bad. you get to people watch and go out and see the ship and have fun. The terminal is beautiful!

I would say 10-11 would be ideal.

nat
03-18-2007, 08:35 PM
What would you say is the time that it really gets crowded?

TammiMcMan
03-18-2007, 09:31 PM
From my experience, from 10:30am until 12:30pm is pretty busy. After 1pm or so, provided they've started boarding earlier, you can usually walk in, get registered and walk right on to the ship.

Simbajr4ever
04-06-2007, 08:42 PM
1st cruise we got "hung up" at wdw so arrived late at 1pm. Even thou I planned to get there early, as warned. We went straight through the line, and walked straight on board.

2nd cruise, got terminal at opening and sat, then we sat alot more. Totally did not miss this on our 1st cruise. Really did not feel this was at all worth it. Getting up early, driving straight over, skipping breakfast, etc.. . Also we still got into our stateroom at the same time. Got our luggage actually later on the 2nd cruise, so that did not matter.

When we boarded the ship, we ate and walked around. Got about the same thing done on both trips. Already had ressies, and had no trouble getting Palo for either cruise.

Next cruise is 2008, and totally plan to get there later in the day.

PirateStitch
04-07-2007, 06:54 PM
If you are a Castaway Club member don't you get to board the ship early ?

TammiMcMan
04-07-2007, 07:18 PM
No, there's a separate line for check-in which may or may not be shorter than the regular lines.

First boarding is reserved for guests requiring additional assistance (wheelchairs, etc.) and guests staying in a suite.

PirateStitch
04-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Hmmmm, well most deffiantly now I have to get to the terminal super early! I was under the impression for some reason being a Castaway Club member you get to board early. And bc I didn't book my cruise until the end of March and the cruise is in April. I didn't get to book Palo ! So, now we'll be high tailing it to try and book Palo. We'd like to eat there twice !!! So, if anyone else is Cruising April 28th we'll be waiting together if you get there super early too!
In March, Disney let us on board starting at like 11:45 ish. I was shocked. So, hopefully it'll be about the same this time around. Can't wait.

AvaNellMouse
04-21-2007, 09:12 AM
Happy Limo picked us up at 11am from AKL. We had champagne and listened to the CD of the Candlelight Processional from Epcot on the way to the port. It was a nice way to start our cruise.
The limo dropped us off right in front of the port, they DCL CM's took our luggage and we walked right into the building.
After all of that champagne I had to GO!
The CM at the top of the stairs pointed DH & I toward the counter and I giggled and went to the restroom instead!
After the pit stop we walked up to the counter, checked in and walked right onto the ship. We went to lunch at top-siders and then straight to our room.
I think if you don't have an absolute craving to wait in lines, get to the port at noon. You will still have plenty of time to enjoy the ship before the drill.

DisneyDudet
04-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Getting there early still gives you time to relax and enjoy everything. It was quite crowded when we got there at 11. There were a lot of CC members, and I think that everyone knew what to do. Once we were allowed in (about 15 min after they first started boarding) I went to Rockin Bar D to the Palo's reservations table. I got the Brunch and the Dinner, but on a waiting list for high tea (we later got a call the day of saying there were spots, we declined). No big deal.

I would suggest doing a brunch and a Dinner, since, I think, if you book two of either, they put your second one on a waiting list, as they want everyone to get a chance. I'm not too sure about it.

If you get there before 1, you should be able to get everything you want.