PDA

View Full Version : Unusual birthing location...

kakn7294
02-16-2007, 12:56 PM
:stork: Well, here's something you don't hear everyday:

From Comcast.net
Newborn Ends Up in Pa. Woman's Pant Leg
By Associated Press

CONNELLSVILLE, Pa. - A woman gave birth to a boy outside a western Pennsylvania hospital _ a delivery that happened so quickly that the newborn wound up in his mother's sweatpants.

"It happened so fast," Rebecca Johnson, 24, told the Daily Courier in Connellsville. "I didn't know what happened until he was in my pant leg."

Johnson had just gotten out of the car at Highlands Hospital in Connellsville and was still in the parking lot when her 5-pound, 15-ounce son, Mason Matthew Parkinson, arrived Wednesday.

An emergency room physician cut the umbilical cord in the parking lot, and doctors attended to Johnson until she could be taken to Uniontown Hospital, which has a maternity unit.

Mason, Johnson's fourth child, was doing well.

Maybe she should have left for the hospital a little sooner? (I know, sometime it happens too fast). At least everyone is healthy and doing well. What a story they'll have to tell! Think Dad videoed the big event?

Mickey'sGirl
02-16-2007, 01:08 PM
You know...this very nearly happened to me with DS3. Sometimes it is all over and done with before you even realize what is going on! Congratulations to them, and I am glad to see everyone is doing well!!

GreenBeetle
02-16-2007, 01:31 PM
GOOD GOD! I wish mine were that easy . . . 2 c-sections! :(

Glad to hear everything worked out OK. :thumbsup:

Jimenyfan
02-16-2007, 01:48 PM
GOOD GOD! I wish mine were that easy . . . 2 c-sections! :(

Glad to hear everything worked out OK. :thumbsup:

Mine were 2 c-sections also, those boys werent going anywhere.

mamacatnv
02-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Yikes it can happen so unexpectedly - my DS took 20+ hours and my DD was 38 minutes, no kidding start to finish, we were lucky we were at the hospital for an induction the next morning. We most likely would not have made it to the hospital had we been at home.

Niecyboo
02-16-2007, 08:03 PM
WOW. Talk about proving a lot of women's fears can come true.

My first took 36 hours, my second took 8. For my third child, I went to the hospital for severe stomach flu and was told I wasn't in labor at 10PM, at 11:00 PM, my water broke while I was in a non-maternity room and my third was born by 1AM after two pushes. That's one of the reasons I really don't want a fourth baby. With the pattern, I'm afraid I'd have an incident like that

stitchfan
02-16-2007, 10:28 PM
I used to be an EMT with the Red Cross.:ambal: One of our responsibilities was to provide first aid coverage for Ohio State home games.

A couple of years ago, at a home game against Bowling Green (OH), a pregnant lady in her third trimester was walking up the inside bleacher stairs to the third deck (don't know why, there are elevators). Her water broke, and she refused transport to the hospital! She delivered a son in a City of Columbus fire department paramedic squad during the fourth quarter. After that, she did let them take her to University Hospital.

Stitchfan :stitch2:

conorsmom2000
02-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Mine were 2 c-sections also, those boys werent going anywhere.
Conor was also a c-section because he wasn't going anywhere either! I was hospitalized due to pre-eclampsia and they decided to induce - after 36 hours, he hadn't budged! (the fact that he was 9lbs, 11 ozs and 22 inches long probably had something to do with that!! )

I did have a friend in high school who's Mom went into labor so fast he was born in the back of a police car in the Bronx - he loves to tell people that! :D

disneydeb
02-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Two C-sction veteran here too!

MsMin
02-19-2007, 11:29 AM
My SIL had her 2nd baby in 45 min. She was on call and asleep @ the hosp otherwise she would not have made it. Those smaller babies can pop out. She had dilated 4cm a month before. Her 4th was harder b/c he was 8lbs. She said if she had had him first she wouldn't have had 4;)
Mine went backwards too but all of my kids were OP (sunnyside up) My pelvis is misshaped so they have to turn to come out. My first was 11, 2nd 12 hrs and the 3rd was 26 hrs. My doc promised the 6th one would go fast...

Ms.Disney
02-19-2007, 01:00 PM
WOW!!!!! What a story!

mudpuppysmom
03-13-2007, 11:00 PM
I live a town or two from this and it was on the front page of the local paper here also. The baby was perfectly pink all swaddled up in his blanket the next day when they took the picture......

My story is a bit too much for here IMO......I'll spare everyone the details, but it lasted for about eight hours.

MScholl13
03-14-2007, 10:13 AM
I bet my mom wished I'd come out a lot quicker like that baby! She was in the hospital for 3 days before I decided to come out. All 9lbs 12.5 oz of me.:blush: ( I was her first baby too!)

Boojum
03-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Maybe because it was her fourth baby? I've heard those fourth babies just fall out!!! :thumbsup:

I had two c-sections with two nine-pounders myself. First baby got stuck, and second baby just said "Nuh-uh, no way, ain't coming out, I like it just fine in here!"

What gets me are the women who give birth and have no idea they were pregnant!! Didn't this happen to a woman just a couple of weeks ago??

Momof2boys
03-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Two C-sction veteran here too!

Wow, a lot of us double c-section ladies here !

My 1st c-section was an emergency after 9 hours of labor but because they cut vertically instead of horizontally my 2nd had to be scheduled so I didn't rupture. However, Nathan didn't want to wait and came 6 days prior to the scheduled date. Thankfully I made it to the hospital & into the OR with no major happenings.

Flower
03-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Funny, but this was one of my fears when I was pregnant - what if the baby comes in public, or what if my water breaks in public.

Fortunately, my water broke at home when I sneezed, and Benjamin was stubborn and did not arrive for 25 hours later - plenty of time to get to the hospital.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-14-2007, 08:52 PM
My Mom had just barely gotten to the hospital with #'s 7 & 8. If I remember right, with # 8 she was at the hospital about 5 minutes before my sister was born. Lot's of practice made it easier!

JMTStone
03-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Evans City PA only had one ambulance.... and it was somewhere else when I was coming out. Guess what other town vehicle can fit someone laying down?

Marilyn Michetti
03-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Evans City PA only had one ambulance.... and it was somewhere else when I was coming out. Guess what other town vehicle can fit someone laying down?

I'm just guessing - would that be a hearst? YUCK!!:sick:

JMTStone
03-15-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm just guessing - would that be a hearst? YUCK!!:sick:
You betcha! Mom says that's why I went through my "dark phase" in high school that included mowhawks and army boots! :secret:

But then I found Disney, and I'm a much lighter person :cloud9:

disneynarula
03-20-2007, 07:48 AM
We barely made it to the hospital in time with DS. We left the house about twenty minutes after my first contraction and had him five minutes after we go there.

My first was a c-section after a long labor so I guess you never know!

minnie-mouse
03-20-2007, 09:38 AM
We barely made it to the hospital in time with DS. We left the house about twenty minutes after my first contraction and had him five minutes after we go there.

Same with me for my first DD. Water broke, contracts came immediately at 2 minutes apart -had to drive 25 mins to hopsital, and gave birth five mins after I walked into hospital. Probably could have delivered the baby in the car on the Capital Beltway! Yikes!

magicofdisney
03-22-2007, 12:30 AM
What gets me are the women who give birth and have no idea they were pregnant!! Didn't this happen to a woman just a couple of weeks ago??
After 4 pregnancies, I cannot fathom this. :confused:
If I'm being honest with you, one pregnancy is enough to convince me this isn't possible, regardless of how easy the labor may be.