PDA

View Full Version : Pics of Contemporary North Wing Demolition

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
02-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Here are some links to photos I took from the monorail of the Contemporary North wing destruction. You can see that the end that faces Bay Lake is completely gone except for the frame.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/WDWmom/Resorts%20Feb%2007/IMG_4945.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/WDWmom/Resorts%20Feb%2007/IMG_4944.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/WDWmom/Resorts%20Feb%2007/IMG_4943.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/WDWmom/Resorts%20Feb%2007/IMG_4942.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/WDWmom/Resorts%20Feb%2007/IMG_4941.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/WDWmom/Resorts%20Feb%2007/IMG_4940.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/WDWmom/Resorts%20Feb%2007/IMG_4939.jpg

GrumpyFan
02-15-2007, 09:17 PM
It's sad and exciting at the same time.
Thanks for sharing the pics. :photo:

kaliepooh
02-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for sharing your pictures. I may have missed something. How did the resort get damaged?

Figment!
02-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks for sharing your pictures. I may have missed something. How did the resort get damaged?By a demolition crew ;)

Disney is tearing down the North Wing to replace it with the a new section of the resort for the Disney Vacation Club.

Working titles for the new section include "DVC @ the Contemporary" and "Contemporary Suites".

KylesMom
02-16-2007, 11:27 AM
It's sad and exciting at the same time.
Thanks for sharing the pics. Couldn't have said it better myself. While I know that this is "progress" I can't help but wonder if we'll ever be able to afford The Contemporary again. :mickey:

vizsla
02-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks for sharing the pictures.

MinnieMommie
02-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Thank you much for the pics! I too and excited and a bit meloncholy about the change. I guess off with the old and on with the new. :mickey:

Jasper
02-17-2007, 03:05 PM
Refresh my memory please, when is this project suppose to be complete?

lockedoutlogic
02-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Refresh my memory please, when is this project suppose to be complete?
20-don't worry about it

My guess is a minimum of 5 years...I'm gonna guess that the place opens in 2011...just a guess. It's quite a large undertaking...and I'm not entirely sure that the demo of the north wing means they'll be building a tower immediately...from the demo permit that was leaked to the internet- it appears they would have to do alot of ground preparation to support a structure as large as the one proposed (a 14 story tower)...so this is definitely a long term type project

Ian
02-20-2007, 12:15 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate this project. For multiple reasons ...

First and foremost, I've had it with the DVC up to here. There's too many of them already and now they're ripping out existing resorts and converting portions of them to DVC. I don't like DVC, I don't want DVC, and now DVC is making it harder for me to stay in resorts I want to stay in.

Two, I'm sick of them spending every nickel that goes into the parks building new DVC units. How about you not waste MILLIONS of dollars on this project, leave the poor Contemporary alone, and build a GOOD NEW ATTRACTION!!

We get these lame-o new things like the Laugh Floor Comedy Club and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin on Steroids (i.e. Midway Mania) and meanwhile they sink hundreds of millions into ripping down a perfectly fine resort and building new timeshares. How un-Disney like.

And lastly, I think some ugly, 14 story tower built on that spot is TOTALLY going to ruin the carefully crafted asthetic of that area. The original Imagineers went to great lengths to properly position the Contemporary so it could be seen in the background of Tomorrowland. Now we're going to have some big, ugly tower smack dab in the sightline.

I think this is one of the worst decisions they've ever made and I hate it. I'm actually getting to the point where I hate DVC, too. Disney World is turning into some kind of ghastly time share resort like some classless place in Vegas or something. Terrible ... just terrible ...

BronxTigger
02-20-2007, 12:38 PM
So....Wacky, how do you really feel about it?

All kidding aside, I totally agree with WDWacky.

I've never stayed at the Contemporary and have little desire to do so, but it is one of the originals and the architecture is true to the 70s. :sick:

If they want new DVC units, then they should build a new DVC resort or add a wing to an existing resort.

Those pictures are sad.

Wells
02-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Actually, I think that Saratoga Springs is the old Disney Institute ?
I also agree that Disney has gone a little nuts on the on-site accommodations. Not just DVC locations, but Sprawling moderate and value resorts have stretched the infrastructure to the limits (dining, transportation, trash, etc.)
This is definitely beginning to affect the quality and advantages of staying on-site.

BronxTigger
02-20-2007, 01:47 PM
Actually, I think that Saratoga Springs is the old Disney Institute ?
I also agree that Disney has gone a little nuts on the on-site accommodations. Not just DVC locations, but Sprawling moderate and value resorts have stretched the infrastructure to the limits (dining, transportation, trash, etc.)
This is definitely beginning to affect the quality and advantages of staying on-site.

Doh! You're right about SSR. Hah! I've even stayed at the Disney Institute before.

And yes, there are too many on-site rooms as it is, period. But with supply and demand, how much would a room cost if they did not have so many??

Roger's #1 Fan
02-20-2007, 02:18 PM
I agree with you WDWacky. I have stayed at the Contemporary twice and loved it. I can't imagine how all those additional rooms beyond the original garden wing will effect the traffic and services at the resort. Heck I stayed there before the Convention Center was added and I think that had a major impact on the resort.

I don't have any issue with DVC in general, but when you start messing with the original resorts which are still very popular and limit the standard room offerings, that becomes a problem. What's next? Are they going to tear down parts of the Poly or GF next? :-o

Ian
02-20-2007, 04:46 PM
What's next? Are they going to tear down parts of the Poly or GF ... ?I'd say that's near a given.

My guess is, in the near future, at least one building each from the Poly and GF will end up being converted to DVC.

disneygecko
02-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks for sharing those pictures with us J.C.&ALI'SMOM!

BMan62
02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
I agree with most of the posters on this thread that they should not be destroying existing properties for the sake of selling more timeshares!

My problems with the DVC are:
There is a minimum 'buy in' of just under $20k. After that, there is a $500+ yearly 'maintenance fee' that you must pay. And, once you are a member, just try to quit.

Unfortunately, they have large numbers of people chomping at the bit to buy in, so they must build more DVC resorts to keep them satisfied.

Do you really get your money's worth out of it?

Spend the monies and complete PC:LY as family suites; update/upgrade attractions/rides; expand existing parks to follow Walt's original plans; etc. before making WDW so exclusive that only DVC members can visit.

Sorry, time to get off my soapbox!!!:soapbox:

Dudeman
02-21-2007, 07:45 PM
I am also very sad about the Contemporary. I had fond memories of staying in the "wings" of the Contemporary was I was younger with my family. I remember the Soda machines in the wing lobby with my first taste of Mr. Pib and Mellow Yellow. I remember the elevators that would get stuck at times, and the walkways to the game room in the main lobby. Who wants a 14 story monster there. The idea is for the main tower is to be the attraction with the monorail gliding through. A new tower will take away from the original imagineering and idea of the Contemporary.

Goofy Pilot
03-02-2007, 04:13 PM
I get a "bandwidth exceeded" picture when I try to open those links. But this sounds interesting, and I'd like to see it. Gotta agree with WDWacky, though: DVC is really getting to be intrusive of other paying guests' enjoyment of WDW.

BrerEmma
03-02-2007, 06:03 PM
[I know I'm in the minority here, but I hate this project."
I agree enough with DVC put some money into MGM and save that park first.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM
03-04-2007, 12:22 PM
I get a "bandwidth exceeded" picture when I try to open those links. But this sounds interesting, and I'd like to see it. Gotta agree with WDWacky, though: DVC is really getting to be intrusive of other paying guests' enjoyment of WDW.

Sorry about the bandwidth issue. My photo links have been reset now and you should be able to see them. I had so many views that I used up all the bandwidth alloted to my account :blush:

Goofy Pilot
03-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Sorry about the bandwidth issue. My photo links have been reset now and you should be able to see them. I had so many views that I used up all the bandwidth alloted to my account :blush:

Thanks!

Those are good pics, but also pretty depressing. I've never desired to stay in CR before, and that destruction, all for DVC benefit, makes me want to stay there even less. :(

SciFi
03-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Unfortunately, they have large numbers of people chomping at the bit to buy in, so they must build more DVC resorts to keep them satisfied.

While I'm sure this is true, I've noticed lately that there are more and more people trying to get rid of their DVC timeshares on the resale market.

mjaclyn
03-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I personally LOVE the Contemporary Tower, but I've always thought the wings were an eyesore. IMO they just looked like ugly brown buildings and I always hoped Disney would at least revamp them a little. I do think that Disney has gone a little DVC crazy, but honestly in recent years it's been the only way DH and I can afford to stay in a deluxe. We can't pay $350 a night anymore so we've been renting DVC points our last few trips and can stay in a deluxe for half that. In that respect, I'd love for Disney to add some DVC rooms to Contemporary or Poly so we can stay there again.

OR Disney can just lower their room rates - which I know is never going to happen.

** Just wanted to add that DH and I are not DVC owners and we never will be. I personally don't see the value in it when I can rent points from an existing owner and save $$ that way **

Barb_A
03-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Actually ... i think that *i'm* in the minority here! I *love* the idea of part of the Contemporary being converted into DVC.

We've stayed twice at the contemporary and LOVED it .. in fact had we not bought into the BCV we'd probably just keep coming back to the Contemporary. I'd probably have a hard time convincing my DH, but i would DEFINATELY buy in to the CV (Contemporary Villas .. sounds neat! grinning .. don't flame me please!).

Laren
03-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Those pictures are heartwrenching! I too remember happily going to the vending machine for Mr. Pibb, the jingle of the quarters in my pocket as we headed from the North Wing to the "Fiesta Fun Center" . . .
it's the end of an era for sure. I haven't felt this sad since they tore Horizons down, but I think this is worse.

Anybody got Kleenex???

We're booked to stay in the south wing this fall but I wonder if it'll just make me too sad, might have to rethink that. . .

DizneyFreak2002
03-11-2007, 02:32 PM
All this in the name of progress my friends... I have faith the new tower will look wonderful...

dudeman1975
03-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Thank you for sharing your memories of the Contemporary wings, It will be sad to remember the way the wings used to be, but I think you will have a great time just going to Disneyworld.

Laren
03-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Thank you for sharing your memories of the Contemporary wings, It will be sad to remember the way the wings used to be, but I think you will have a great time just going to Disneyworld.

Yes, you're right...I think it's the construction process getting me down, maybe once the new building is up I'll get used to it.

In the meantime, we rebooked for the Poly, only stayed there once when I was a kid, time to make some new memories with my own, I think! :) Thank you again for sharing your memories.

princessimagineer
03-13-2007, 04:19 PM
thanks for the pics!

im actually quite excited about this project. im not a DVC member, nor do i feel the need to be, but i think anybody can stay in villas, right? i have at least and im not a member.

this will be a great location because (i timed it) from the north tower to MK its roughly an 8 minute walk so it would be nice to make this old and unatractive looking building into something people will want to stay in.

i dont think it will take away from the tower. i think i will always look at the Contemporary Tower and remember that Walt Disney himself designed this building. not realy any other resorts have that bragging right.

Patricia
03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm coming in late here.

I'm not likely to ever stay in a monorail resort, but I do have to wonder if they keep adding more rooms along the monorail line, what will happen to the monorail queues? They already get out of control at the end of the night. I'd be upset if I paid to stay there and couldn't ride because of the crowds.

FamilyBand1
03-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Just got back from MK yesterday. The North wing is just a few huge mounds of rubble now. It's pretty sad. The CR was Walt's "vision" of the future, and while it was very dated, it was also part of what we all remember and love about Disney World. I guess I'm a little over-nostalgic, but isn't that what keeps bringing us "old kids" back?

The north wing was our favorite, not because of the accomodations, but because it was walking distance with the stroller to the front gate!

Disney IS going nuts with the DVC, but for those of us who will be coming to Disney for years to come, I guess it's a good idea...we still haven't bought in yet;)

battle beast
03-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Great photos, but I can't picture where they are being taken from. I guess I will see in November.

Thanks!

pedro2112
03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Just got back from MK yesterday. The North wing is just a few huge mounds of rubble now. It's pretty sad. The CR was Walt's "vision" of the future

Not the Wings.

Boost
03-27-2007, 06:17 PM
FamilyBand1 --

I agree with you wholeheartedly. We stayed at CR for the first time this past December. We are locals (Port Orange, FL) and we don't necessarily agree with the DVC plans to chop up CR (nor any other resort) for the almighty dollar.

I emailed DVC about it....