PDA

View Full Version : cabins need an update

BrerEmma
02-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Howdy, we love to stay at the FW cabins and just returned home monday from a seven day trip. Of course, the full kitchen gives us the freedom to prepare our meals at our leisure. We also love to cookout on the grill after a long day in the parks. :beer: We do feel however that he cabins need to be refreshed: new furniture, curtains, rugs, the basics... Also, the pools need to be updated and themed. Leave a lot to be desired, look like the original,early 1970's? Even the value resorts have themed pools. FW is not a value resort in fact, it is somewhat expensive and should offer newer ammenties.:confused: :confused:

AndrewJackson
02-14-2007, 08:51 PM
The cabins are actually fairly new. The replaced the old Wilderness Homes that were placed at Fort Wilderness back in the late 1970s.

I agree that both pools could be upgraded to include some sort of theming. The pools are one reason why I feel the Wilderness Cabins are overpriced.

I guess it is better than nothing, which is what they had until the pools were finally built in the mid 80s.

May524
02-14-2007, 08:56 PM
I totally agree. The pools need to be updated, but still feel "rugged" if you know what I mean. One thing I love about fort is that you really feel you are "away from it all", but they are in much need of an update.

BrerEmma
02-14-2007, 09:10 PM
I agree, you do feel like you're away from it all! My blood pressure drops about 20 points as soon as I drive thru the gates. DD took three trail rides, she's ten. We own a horse and I was happy to see that the Disney horses are well cared for. Staff was knowledgable and very courteous. Just love that country atmosphere:thumbsup: Again the cabins are still our favorite place stay but they need some attention.:blush: :blush:

Buttercup
02-15-2007, 01:20 PM
As mentioned before, the cabins are actually quite new. I think they're meant to look "rustic" and worn in (with their furnishings, etc.)
Prior to these new cabins, they were essentially just stationary mobile homes, with very basic furnishings inside - no real theming. There also weren't decks on the side of the cabin, but rather very spindly little steel grate steps up to the door, and that's it. These cabins are a major improvement over the old wilderness homes, that's for sure! :thumbsup:
I agree though that the pools need to be addressed. I can picture a pool with lots of plants around it... maybe a small waterfall in one corner of the pool... something to make it feel like you're in a natural lake somewhere in the woods! That would be great!

princessesmom
02-18-2007, 09:48 PM
I love the cabins, but my one complaint about FW is the pools. We are a family of 6, so our choices are limited. I thought about getting two rooms at the Wilderness Lodge instead, but the cost differential is huge. I would be thrilled if they could put in a more interesting pool with some theming and a slide. Let's hope! :mickey:

Goofy Pilot
03-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Well, there's a small unused waterpark next door (River Country) that would be just tremendous if they'd wall it away from Bay Lake, chlorinate the water, and open it back up for FW visitors. What a waste to have such a great old waterpark sitting there unused and a rather large resort that needs to upgrade its swimming facilities.

Not2Loud
03-10-2007, 09:49 AM
The pools aren't so exciting, but at least they are there. I remember as a kid being able to swim in Bay Lake in the roped off area. That was great stuff! I understand why we can't now...but I sure do miss it. It was great fun as a kid to swim and watch the boats come and go, play in the sand, have a Coca-Cola, etc.

While the price isn't economy for the cabins, I find it quite reasonable when compared to the other offerings in the same price range. We ate breakfast in our most days on our last trip, a lunch or two, and 4 dinners over the course of 9 days. So having the full kitchen is nice.

However, the "Magic" of FW comes from its overall feel. In some ways, I think it transports many of us back to a much simpler time and way of life. As stated in an earlier post, my BP drops when I drive into FW, yet at the other resorts it goes up. Don't get me wrong, I love them all and they all have great things about them. But with FW, I can truly feel like a vacation (when I have the DD) with me. I love the fact we can ride around on a golf cart and go to every single play ground in FW in an afternoon.

One of my favorite things is to hit the MK in the morning and catch the boat to FW at about 11:30 AM. We have our lunch in the cabin, or even there by the marina; my wife heads to the cabin to scrapbook and the DD and I play all around FW for the afternoon. We can ride in the cart, a canoe, ride horses, play at the playgrounds, go fishing, go for walks, explore the nature all around us, etc. We then have dinner there or back at the park and enjoy the evening hours as the parks start to thin out. Man...makes me long to go back right now as I sit here typing.

Thank goodness we get to go back in April....

OT: Does anyone else find the more they go to FW and Disney in general, the more you want to go back? It is just hard for me to understand the people that swear "Never Again."

CU Tiger
03-10-2007, 09:29 PM
The pool upgrade is a given and I hope they do it soon.

For the cabins, my biggest gripe it the lack of storage. If there were some way to add a little more room for clothes, it would be perfect. It is hard to find a place for seven days of clothes for five people!

The cabins are still the best place to stay in DW.:mickey:

JoDisney
03-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Boy if they ever update the pools and add hot tubs, those cabin prices would definitely go up and they would fill up faster than they do now.

Tyson The Lab
03-18-2007, 07:28 PM
However, the "Magic" of FW comes from its overall feel. In some ways, I think it transports many of us back to a much simpler time and way of life. As stated in an earlier post, my BP drops when I drive into FW, yet at the other resorts it goes up. Don't get me wrong, I love them all and they all have great things about them. But with FW, I can truly feel like a vacation (when I have the DD) with me. I love the fact we can ride around on a golf cart and go to every single play ground in FW in an afternoon.

I've never been to FW, but am going this coming July. I am hoping you are right, and life there will feel simple and relaxing. I think there is enough theming everywhere else without having to worry about the pools. I don't understand why people aren't allowed to use the pools at the other resorts. Other guests come to the campfire and ride the horses, but guests of FW can't use anything at their resort? Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way?

faline
03-19-2007, 05:23 AM
There was a time when folks were allowed to use any pool on property. Over time, I would guess, really popular pools became overwhelmed. While folks are allowed to come to the campfire, you are also allowed to eat, dine, and visit the other resorts. The only thing you're not allowed to do is use the pools at the other resorts.

Camping Mom
04-01-2007, 11:17 PM
" Does anyone else find the more they go to FW and Disney in general, the more you want to go back? It is just hard for me to understand the people that swear "Never Again."[/QUOTE]

Oh my yes!! It seems we are depressed every time we come home and then we say..if we go too much we will get tired of it. Then two months later we are wishing we were back!! Love it, love it.

jennsky
04-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Having just got back two weeks ago, I kinda agree with the fact that the cabins need a little attention. Nothing much but we noticed a couple of things in ours. For example, when we arrived, just over the kitchen counter is a fluorescent light. Well, the plastic cover that goes over it was broken and fell off. I didn't know what to do with it, so I just put it on top of the cupboards. Our bathroom door handle didn't work properly either. We were afraid to shut the door the first couple of days because when you turned the handle from either side, it wouldn't move the latch, so if we had shut the door, we'd have been locked in the bathroom! Fortunately my husband found a screwdriver in our car and managed to somewhat fix it. The only other thing was in the fridge, in the door at the bottom, the shelf kept falling out so we just couldn't put anything there or it would fall on the floor everytime we opened the door.

OVERALL we were happy with everything, but ya, there are little things like that which need attention. We still had a fabulous time and look forward to staying in the cabins again. Maybe what they should do and/or do already is focus on inspecting/repairing one cabin a day on a continual basis in order to stay on top of wear & tear.