PDA

View Full Version : Finding Nemo Musical...Your Thoughts?

yodarama
02-12-2007, 05:17 PM
I will be paying a visit to WDW this weekend and was wondering if the Nemo musical at AK is worth checking out? I doubt anything can ever replace Tarzan Rocks, but I'd like to know what everybody thinks of this new attraction. Thanks!

MickeysBestPal
02-12-2007, 05:40 PM
I will be paying a visit to WDW this weekend and was wondering if the Nemo musical at AK is worth checking out? I doubt anything can ever replace Tarzan Rocks, but I'd like to know what everybody thinks of this new attraction. Thanks!

We saw it three times in December.
We liked it a lot.
The soundtrack to the show is available for sale and download at the iTunes Music Store.

Tarzan Rocks usually had CM's trying to coax guests over to see it.

But the Nemo Musical has long lines of guests queued up, sometimes up to an hour before show-time (that's much earlier than guests usually queue for Festival of the Lion King.)

The Nemo show length clocks in at around 42 minutes, which makes it about the longest show at WDW.
(Ellen's Energy Adbventure is about that long, but only if you count the pre-show.)

mrsgaribaldi
02-12-2007, 05:42 PM
We saw it in January and loved it:thumbsup: I would see it at least once. It's worth the wait.:dory:

Jasper
02-12-2007, 05:44 PM
I have not seen it myself but we have friends who were there about two weeks ago and gave it very high marks. The female half of that couple is normally very hard to please and she was the one who gushed about it the most so I guess that is really saying something!

yodarama
02-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Okay, I just might check it out, then! I'm assuming it's similar to the Beauty & the Beast show at MGM? Anyhow, thanks for the feedback!

MickeysBestPal
02-12-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm assuming it's similar to the Beauty & the Beast show at MGM?

Only in that they are both performed on a stage.

;)

The Nemo show has many effects.

The biggest difference in the KIND of show that it is.
While all of the fish are over-sized puppets with moving eyes and mouths... the puppeteers are all visible ACTORS out on the stage.

They act, sing, dance (and "swim") in-person fully visible as they hold their respective puppets out to one side or over their heads.

There are some HUGE puppets as well.

You've not seen anything like it at WDW before.

spoonfulosugar
02-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Personally, I think it is by far the best stage show in all of WDW. You will be surprised at just how good it is. I walked out feeling like I had just been to a Broadway show...it is that good. I will not be surprised if that is exactly what they end up doing with it. It is worth the wait, very well done, and should not be missed.
:nemo: :dory:

mamacatnv
02-12-2007, 06:20 PM
I thought it was fabulous - we waited over an hour in line and it was worth every second of that wait time.

Hint, don't sit in the very front section of the theatre, you miss what goes on behind you on the main walkway.

DizneyRox
02-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Nemo is worth the price of admission, it's a great show and that's coming from me.

I saw Tarzan Rocks twice. Once was enough, the second time I was forced to go by the rest of my party, and shortly after it started we all walked out. I would rather they replaced it with a Meet and Greet instead of keeping it open. I'm glad it's gone.

Tinksmom
02-12-2007, 07:18 PM
We just got back for WDW on Saturday and I have to say that the Nemo show was one of the highlights of the trip!!!!! (and we had a fabulous trip.)
The whole experience is just so unique! The actors are terrific. But my one warning....the song "Big Blue World" sticks with you like super glue on fingers. Good thing it's a cute song.
I'd suggest sitting low in the upper section to see everything.
Have a great time!

Nini
02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Oh gosh, I guess I'm really in the minority! My mom and I saw it last week, and neither one of us cared for it.
I must start off by saying that I usually love all things Disney, and that "Finding Nemo" the movie is one of my very favorites, but I just didn't like this show! For one thing, it was just a synopsis of the movie - I thought they could have come up with something original, a continuation of the story. Plus, I didn't like the idea of the puppeteers being visible. It's distracting. I understand that this was the whole idea, but I just didn't like it. Now, the puppets at the Ariel show at the Studios I love!!
My mom said she almost fell asleep three times during the Nemo show.
I know kids would love it, and obviously most adults, I'm just giving my opinion. I certainly wouldn't try to talk anyone out of seeing it.

Denise :mickey:

DinseyDEW
02-12-2007, 08:35 PM
We were there 2 weeks ago and almost missed it. We went at one time in the day and the line was like forever. But after the parade we ran through the park and were one of the last few let in for the last show. We are so glad we did, it was simply OUTSTANDING in everything. You get caught up in the puppets and forget the actors and then at times you get caught up with the actors and forget the puppets. It was simply the best and not to be missed. We are so glad we didn't miss it!

Robin Robin
02-12-2007, 08:50 PM
We saw it two weeks ago and absolutely loved it. It was Disney, but had an extra-artistic flair to it that reminded me of a Broadway production. It was actually written by the Tony-award winning team that was responsible for Avenue Q (NOT a children's musical *L*) and directed by a Tony award-winning director (A Year With Frog and Toad).

I do agree it was more a quick review of the film and even at 40 minutes, it seemed a little rushed. I, personally, would have watched 2 hours of the full story!

SurferStitch
02-12-2007, 09:41 PM
DH and I loved the Nemo show when we saw it in December. It's absolutely beautiful to watch, and the music was wonderful. I only wish we could have seen it more than once! Oh well, good reason to get back to WDW soon!

EvilQueen2006
02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
I thought it was really cute and I liked the aspect of the visable pupeteers. It kept my interest throughout the length of the show. That said, it is not a show that will keep me coming back visit after visit like FOTLK.

RAIDER
02-13-2007, 03:48 AM
I was very surprised how good it was as i didnt think it would work ...I was bit annoyed you couldnt take any pictures or tape it as some of the costumes and sets were orsam ;)

dixielandings
02-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Yeah, you should definitely see it. You'll either love it or it won't be your cup of tea. I think it's a great addition to the show roster, despite the fact that they had to enclose the theatre for some reason. I liked the Theater in the Wild being open. And I liked Tarzan Rocks for all the stunts and stuff, but I couldn't hack the "rock" group. Sorry. The OP said he doubts nothing could replace this show, and I say nothing can replace Phil Collins performing his own great tunes! :D

Nemo is a great show. Give it a shot.

bobpfef
02-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Nemo was BY FAR the best show we saw at Disney. It is what I imagine a real Broadway show would be like, it was just amazing. The puppets, the songs, the stage, the props. The only thing we didn't care for was the way they did Crush, that is a minor nit to pick. I dearly want to get a CD of this and "Big Blue World" and the "Keep on Swiming" song have been favorites of me and my kids ever since we've seen this show. However they weren't selling them when we saw the show.:(

MickeysBestPal
02-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I dearly want to get a CD of this and "Big Blue World" and the "Keep on Swiming" song have been favorites of me and my kids ever since we've seen this show. However they weren't selling them when we saw the show.:(

Just log onto the iTunes Music Store right now and its available for sale and instant download.
You can just choose a song or two (99 cents each) or the whole album ($9.99).

Then, you can burn a CD or listen on your computer, an iPod, or other mp3 player.

MickeysBestPal
02-13-2007, 12:13 PM
despite the fact that they had to enclose the theatre for some reason. I liked the Theater in the Wild being open.

Well, Expedition Everest with its crowds and noise (quite a few SCREAMS, actually) is now operating right next door.

And (like FotLK, which theater was also enclosed) the performers and the guests can really appreciate the AIR CONDITIONING in the Orlando "steambath" on many days of the year.

joanna71985
02-22-2007, 04:14 PM
But the Nemo Musical has long lines of guests queued up, sometimes up to an hour before show-time (that's much earlier than guests usually queue for Festival of the Lion King.)

That's because they won't let guests line up that early over there. But either way, Nemo is an amazing show. I absolutely love it. I highly recommend it to anyone.

buzznwoodysmom
02-22-2007, 10:21 PM
We saw it last week and while I liked it, I just couldn't get past the actors holding the puppets. Most of the time they had the puppets on one side of their heads while their head was on the audience side. I thought they should have always had the puppets on the audience side sort of trying to hide themselves. I also thought they should have used a different story line. It was basically just like the movie. I guess I just expected it to be better. I think FOTLK is 100 times better than this nemo show.

Magic Fanatic
02-22-2007, 10:29 PM
I also thought they should have used a different story line. It was basically just like the movie. I guess I just expected it to be better. I think FOTLK is 100 times better than this nemo show.
I have to agree. We saw it last week while it is was entertaining, it is not a show we will line up for again. I don't find it to be on the level of Lion King and Beauty and The Beast, two shows that are "must see" every visit for us.

Goes4FastPass
02-23-2007, 07:56 AM
This is easily the best live show at WDW. It's different from Cirque du Lion King or Beauty and the Beast on Ice without the Ice - but being different is good.

Tink's Friend
02-28-2007, 02:27 AM
We saw it last week and while I liked it, I just couldn't get past the actors holding the puppets.

I liked the show fairly well, and music was very good, but I agree with buzznwoodysmom about this. All through the show, I found myself watching the people rather than the puppets. I thought it might be due to some artistic ideal--I've never seen this type of puppetry before, so I though maybe it was "traditional" for this type, but I did find it to be somewhat of a distraction. Does anyone know about this? Is there a name for this type of puppetry?

And I was surprised that it so closely followed the movie's story line.

Having said that, though, I would definitely recommend that you see it at least once. Even with the distraction, I really enjoyed it.

Suzanne Q
Bristol, TN

MickeysBestPal
02-28-2007, 08:00 AM
I liked the show fairly well, and music was very good, but I agree with buzznwoodysmom about this. All through the show, I found myself watching the people rather than the puppets. I thought it might be due to some artistic ideal--I've never seen this type of puppetry before, so I though maybe it was "traditional" for this type, but I did find it to be somewhat of a distraction. Does anyone know about this? Is there a name for this type of puppetry?

And I was surprised that it so closely followed the movie's story line.

Having said that, though, I would definitely recommend that you see it at least once. Even with the distraction, I really enjoyed it.

Suzanne Q
Bristol, TN

I love seeing the actors and find its a much more interesting show this way... once you have seen the appearance of a puppet, it becomes very "flat" as a longer show progresses. Seeing the actor's facial expressions (something lacking in simple puppets) makes better "theater."

I vote "yea," you vote "nay."

I would have been surprised if they didn't follow the movie's story line (and, of course, they truncated much of it for time.)

tyandskyesmom
02-28-2007, 10:39 AM
We are Tarzan Rocks! lovers and were very disappointed to see it go but the Nemo show is in a different league! We walked out of there wowed! The kids had absolutely no probelm sitting through it and loved all the puppets and special effects...it's a great show and I'd recommend the wait!

ginger19
02-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I loved it. I loved that it was a synopsis of the movie, I loved that you could see the actors, I loved the whole thing. We had a seat right next to the middle of the runway part of hte stage and my daughter had Dory right in her face :) The whole show was fantastic in my opinion and I would wait in line to see it again.

mainstreet1997
03-01-2007, 02:51 PM
I loved it! Its very cute and creative. The line is long but once youre in everythign is awesome. And the music is very uh..memorable...

In the BIG blue wo-orld!

McGoofy
03-01-2007, 03:23 PM
I too am a huge Tarzan Rocks fan. I hated to see that show go. However, I did enjoy the new Nemo show. Now I will say that I was not willing to spend two hours of my day waiting in a line to see it. We were at AK on the Tuesday after President's Day and folks were lining up 2 hours before the show. We decided that we didn't want to give up 2 hours in line and then another 45 minutes in the show, so we skipped it that day. We were back at AK on the Thursday of that week. The line was about an hour wait, so we decided to do it. The show was really good and unlike any other stage show at Disney. (And definitely nothing comparable to Beauty and the Beast.) It was really fascinating to watch, and even as an adult, it had my attention captivated. In the beginning, it was hard for me to get past seeing the actual puppeteers. However, as I got into the program, it was really neat to watch them--their facial expressions, their body movements, etc...It was as though you were watching an actor play the part. I still have mixed feelings about seeing the puppeteers, but overall, the show was very well done. I also liked how they still do what Tarzan Rocks did and that is the use of the aisles. You still have things that take you by surprise throughout the theatre. Now that I have seen it, I can say that I would enjoy seeing it again, but I definitely would not wait in a very long line to see it.

The Joker
06-01-2007, 05:35 AM
We visited WDW last week and also went to this musical. We were actually a bit disappointed; the songs are below Disney-standard, as well as the voices of some performers. The scenery is brilliant, but bottom-line this is not a musical we will see every time we visit WDW.

BTW: we arrived just 10 minutes prior and there was still plenty of empty space.

Disney Doll
06-01-2007, 01:33 PM
We really loved the Nemo musical! It is way better that the Tarzan Rocks show IMHO. I saw Tarzan Rocks once and decided that once was enough, but Nemo will be a must see show for my family on every trip. I loved everything: the lighting, the music, the actors, the sets, and the puppets.

I don't think there is a need to line up more than 30 minutes prior to show time. You may not be seated in the front, but you'll still have a seat and be able to enjoy the show.

J9
06-01-2007, 07:09 PM
In my opinion, this is the greatest thing at WDW. I put off seeing it for a loooong time because I was still upset about Tarzan Rocks leaving. I still wish they both could coexist peacefully, but I honestly would take the Nemo show over Tarzan anyday.

Then again, I am a theatre geek and this show is the closest you can come to seeing a Broadway show without actually going to Broadway. So I absolutely LOVE it!

MickeyDreamer
06-01-2007, 09:17 PM
We really enjoyed this show don't miss it and form your own opinion from that!