PDA

View Full Version : ECVs - General Usage and Tips

pshokie
02-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Please be gentle, I am a newbie. :blush:

First off, let me say thank you to every last one of you on Intercot!. :rocks: I have been lurking for the past few months getting all kinds of valuable tips.

We (myself, DW, DD4, DS1, MIL) will be going to WDW for our first ever resort stay this May (Polynesian). While my DW and I have both been to parts of WDW, both together and separate, this will be our first true WDW experience for any of us. So we know a little of what to expect, but this time will be a very different.

My MIL has limited mobility (walk short distances, stand for short periods), and would require the use of an ECV to get around WDW.

Can those of you who have had experience with EVCs (both park rental & outside rental) please provide me with any information regarding the use of an ECV? We are going to get an ECV for my MIL during our stay, but none of the adults in our party (MIL included) have ever used one. I am looking for any helpful information that will prep not only my MIL but my DW and myself as well for what lay ahead. In short, I want to be prepared.

As an example to start off the discussion, I will provide a few bits I have obtained. First, I have read that the ramps used to get on/off the monorail are very narrow. Even the most seasoned ECV driver may have some issues using the monorail. Second, I have seen some information stating that all buses can now accommodate ECVs, but what is the process for getting the ECV on the bus?

Again, any and all information would be greatly appreciated. As I said, we have never used one before.

Buttercup
02-12-2007, 03:05 PM
The ramps to get up to the monorail are quite wide. Although I've never taken an ECV, we have seen many people going up and down the ramps with no trouble at all. We use a fairly large stroller and there's still several feet on either side of us on those ramps! If you are talking about the actual monorail cars (boarding and unboarding), yes, it is slightly smaller, but again, I've seen many people in ECV's board with no trouble.

One thing however -- if you are renting the ECV from Disney, you wouldn't be picking up the ECV until AFTER you've ridden the monorail to Epcot or the Magic Kingdom. I believe you pick them up at the stroller rental area, right at the entrance of the park, so you wouldn't have it when you're riding the monorail. It would only become an issue if you had rented one on your own from an outside company. Does that make sense?

As for the buses, there will be specially marked buses with a larger rear-exit. (I would say most of the WDW buses are now wheelchair/ECV friendly, but just check for the handicap symbol on the bus to be sure). You just let the driver know you need to load someone in an ECV onto the bus, and they will handle the rest. The bus lowers to sidewalk level and the ECV rolls onto a small elevator that lifts them into the bus. It doesn't take long at all to do.

But again, if you're renting from WDW I'm pretty sure you wouldn't pick up your ECV until you arrive at the park... and when you leave, you would drop it off. This also goes for Park Hopping -- you would need to pick up a new ECV at the next park you travel to.

AuntDJ
02-12-2007, 04:59 PM
First...Welcome to Intercot, I too am a lurker for the most part...

We are leaving in 20 days for the world and my father is like your MIL...he has mobility issues (due to having only one leg). I called my resort, in my case POR-French Quarter. They recommended a company to rent from offsite. It should be at the hotel when we arrive and they will pick up when we are done($186 for 6 days). The company is called Walker Medical and Mobility (if I was not supposed to put this~moderator~ please delete it)...

Also, when we were there last year, my mom has some knee issues so we rented an ECV at the park and had no issues.

Enjoy your stay!
Donna

kakn7294
02-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Rent from an outside company if you will need the ECV outside the theme parks - the WDW ECV's are only available at the parks and have limited availablity. All adults need a lesson in driving one - they are not easy to drive and are slow and bulky. Practice driving one, especially steering and backing up as you will need those skills for the buses. I think the monorail is easier than the buses - you just have to drive or backup straight into the car whereas the buses require backing in and turning around in a small space - probably you or DW should do this for MIL if possible unless she becomes really proficient at driving one rather quickly. Unfortunately, they are heavy so you can't just pick it up and put it in place. They also have to be strapped in so the process can take several minutes during which time everyone else in line will bemoan the fact that you have a scooter - don't listen to them and don't worry about it - you will most likely never see them again and the fact that they had to wait a few extra minutes won't ruin the rest of their vacation. Be sure to park in the designated parking areas for attractions and restaurants and take a rain poncho or something similar to cover it in case of rain - it's not much fun sitting on a wet seat all day! Watch your battery - you don't want to run out of power in the middle of your day! Don't give the kids a ride on Grandma's lap (or any other adult who happens to be driving) - it's dangerous not only to the kids riding, but to everyone else around as the kids can make driving much harder. Teach everyone else in your party to not walk in front of the scooter to save battered ankles (don't worry, if they don't remember, after the first couple of bashings, they will!). The driver needs to pay attention to where he/she is driving because everyone else around will be oblivious to the fact that a huge, 500 lbs (or whatever they weigh) scooter is rolling down the street next to them and will blame the scooter driver for running into them if accidents occur (and they undoubtedly will - just apologize and move on). Hopefully, Marilyn will catch wind of this thread and be along with some more advice - she's an expert on those scooters! Another option for you is a wheelchair - they are of course much less bulky but they are also manpowered - someone would need to push the chair unless you get an electric one from an outside rental company. Good luck and have a great trip!

ChipDale2708
02-12-2007, 08:38 PM
My Mom and I are in the same situation. She can walk, however has problems with distance and speed. Currently our plan is to rent an ECV at the parks - she'll be fine at the resorts and DTD (slower pace). We weighed the option of renting from an outside company, but decided it would only really be necessary in the parks and an unnecessary hassle for the buses and monorail.

We are planning on going to a super store that has ECV's available for store use so she can get the feel for one. I'm familiar with them because I had a friend that used one. Maybe your MIL can try the same thing. Target and big grocery stores seem to have them available.

pshokie
02-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Thank you for the insights!

Let me pose some follow-ups:
Since MIL has some mobility (around the resort, etc), would it be better to rent from inside the park, or an outsde vendor?

To complicate the issue, we have 2 charater breakfasts in the parks at 8:10 (CRT and Hollywood & Vine) can you even rent an ECV before official park openning?

If not, that seals the deal, outside vendor. But if you can rent "early", then my next question would be how quickly they would sell out on regular (i.e. our non-charater breakfast) days? 30 minutes after park opening? 60 minutes?

JERSEYDISFAN
02-13-2007, 04:17 PM
For what it's worth. Last May my DW was having problems with her knee and could only walk for short distences or times w/o pain. We went on the internet and Googled "ECV Orlando". There are a number of companies that rent ECVs. We choose a firm named Scooterama since they had heavy and light models for rent. We choose the lighter model which rented for $25 a day. They deliver the ECV to the Bell Captain at your resort by 9:00 AM on your first day of park visits and pick-up on the AM of your checkout day (you leave the scooter in the spot you picked it up and the key with the Bell Captain). The learning curve for operating the scooter is 10-15 minutes. We used the parking lot to practice (backing up seems to be the hardest skill to master). All of the resorts, attractions and transportation modes are equipped to allow the ECVs to operate everywhere. You can keep the scooter in your resort room and it comes with a battery charger for overnight recharging (batteries on the lighter models allow 20-30 miles between charges). In some areas of the parks you may be asked if the person using the ECV can "transfer", meaning leave the scooter and walk a short distence to board the ride. Overall, we felt the outside rental was best because you can travel wherever you want inside or outside of the parks. Disney ECVs are limited to use in the parks, a bit bulkier and in worn condition while the rentals appear relatively new. We're scheduled to be at WDW for the IF&WF in October and plan to rent from the same firm again.

Marilyn Michetti
02-13-2007, 09:51 PM
First let me welcome you to our crazy, wacky board - we're in this (mouse addiction) together.

I'm a seasoned ECV user, so let me tell you that the monorail is easier than you can imagine. The ramps are plenty wide, and the CM's will gently coach your MIL on and off. The secret is not to panic, set the speed on low, and just take it off and on gently. Busses are a little harder, and frankly, people aren't always very patient when they're (1) asked to move to another seat, and (2) wait to board until I load this lovely lady.........well, you know.

Renting from an outside agency is the only way I would do it if I weren't bringing my own. It's about the same price, and you have use of it for your whole visit. It will be waiting for you when you get there, and you just leave it at your resort conciere when you leave.

NOW, the most solid piece of advice I can give you is, go to a local scooter store and ask them for a demo. If they're worth their reputation, they will take your MIL to a room or parking lot and teach her how to operate an ECV. They'll teach her how to back up, get around corners, and parallel park. Granted they're not complicated, but neither are bicycles unless you've never been on one. Disney doesn't have time to "teach" everybody, plus the ones they rent are like trucks. They're big, awkward, and not very comfortable. They tend to break down without warning, and that doesn't help if there isn't another one to replace it.

Basically, this isn't a problem that you should have to worry about while you're on vacation. Explore your options, ride a few, (you don't have to "pretend" you're a customer - all mobility stores want you to remember them when you are). Let me assure you, it's a lot easier than you might think.

Have a terrific time, and let me know how it goes. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, AND PLAN TO AGAIN !!:mickey:

MsMin
02-13-2007, 11:03 PM
When we went in Dec. we rented from outside and we did have some problems. Not w/ the company or the scooter but I found the scooter that they had for my dad was too light. It says it holds up to 300lbs but he flipped his twice in 6 days.
We rented 2 scooters b/c my mom is more mobile but w/ foot/hip problems @ 75 she was afraid she couldn't keep up and he did lose her several times even w/the scooter.
My mom refused to ride the monorail b/c she was afraid to go up the ramp so she preferred the bus for travel.
As mentioned my dad fell twice and he can't get up when he falls. Once was in AK and the ground was uneven and he rolled it and the other was not his fault. He wanted to view the vacation club sales pitch and went alone and he was alone on the bus and the driver did not strap in the scooter or ask him to get off the scooter and he was new to travel on the bus and when the driver turned the corner he launched my dad and the scooter. I was very upset with the fact that the bus driver didn't strap down the scooter but my dad doesn't like to complain.
I'm sure it doesn't happen often but do make sure your MIL is aware of the safety procedures for bus travel.
When we checked in since we rented from outside they gave the scooters to my dd and I at the front desk and we had to drive them to the parking lot for my parents. I don't find that they are difficult to operate but as mentioned ppl don't realize they don't have brakes like a car (they are self braking but it's not the same) and will walk in front of you. It can take some patience to maneuver the heavy crowds too.
My mom swears she would not have been able to make the entire trip- they were tired even w/ the scooters. I recommend it and I do find it difficult to run down every a.m. to get a disney scooter and if you change parks you may find that none are available. The scooters we rented were less expensive and in good shape and they were very easy to just plug in overnight and when you check out you leave them there:thumbsup: .

d_m_n_n
02-14-2007, 04:25 AM
We rented a scooter from Disney on our last trip for me (left 3 days post-op :ill: ) and take the advice to go and practice using one...even if it is at Wal-Mart or Target. I thought using one would be a piece of cake, (I'm in my mid 30's and comfortable driving anything from an SUV to an ATV/motorcycle) but nothing prepared me for the skill it takes to maneuver one of these. On a few occasions DH had to "scoot" me around so I was facing the right direction...eeesh and elevators are not easy! It does take some getting used to setting the speed/braking (or lack thereof) and getting through a crowd. After one day, I had a new respect for those using ECV's.

If you do decide to rent from the parks, when it is returned they will provide a wheelchair to get to your vehicle or Disney Transportation.

King Triton
02-14-2007, 12:36 PM
I have to second the comments about trying out a scooter before going. You will be driving it in very tight spots...especially Main St. in MK.

Once you've mastered it and are at WDW, please be courteous driving it. I'm sure they are in the vast minority, but some ECV drivers have gotten quite aggressive. I often hear the comment "watch out for those scooters". Most folks do fine, but I'm afraid a few have caused ECVers to get a questionable reputation.

DisneyGiant
02-14-2007, 08:50 PM
First...Welcome to Intercot, I too am a lurker for the most part...

We are leaving in 20 days for the world and my father is like your MIL...he has mobility issues (due to having only one leg). I called my resort, in my case POR-French Quarter. They recommended a company to rent from offsite. It should be at the hotel when we arrive and they will pick up when we are done($186 for 6 days). The company is called Walker Medical and Mobility (if I was not supposed to put this~moderator~ please delete it)...

Also, when we were there last year, my mom has some knee issues so we rented an ECV at the park and had no issues.

Enjoy your stay!
Donna

We always use Walker for my Mom's scooter.
You don't realize how much walking you do around the resort, until you are disabled.

I'd rent the scooter from the outside, so your MIL can go everywhere with the whole family.

Enjoy your trip!!!

mikey6307
03-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Our family went on vacation for a week and visited Orlando. My wife required a scooter becasue she was unable to walk the long distance.. We rented a scooter and it was great.. I am not sure if I am allowed to use there name .. If not, I am sorry.. We just had a great time.. This is all new for us.. We hope to go back on stay on disney property :mickey: next time..

AuntDJ
03-26-2007, 04:40 PM
pshokie~ I hope you are still checking this thread...

I wanted to check back in post trip to let you know- Renting from the outside is the way to go! The scooter was there when we checked in and since we did not have to catch the bus until late the afternoon we were leaving, we had it the whole last day as well.

So, we had Dad's scooter everywhere and my mom ended up renting at the parks, I could not tell much difference in the two scooters, except that there were some times, that I did not think my mom was going to make it to the front of the park....it is quite a hike to the front of the park from where the busses let you off and pick you up!

DJ

pshokie
03-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Yes DJ, still here and lurking as always! :look:

It has been a few weeks since I read any ECV related posts, so my anxiety was growing again. It is nice to re-read this posting and remember how easy everyone makes it seem.

Thanks for the update!

40 days and counting!!!! :woohoo:

offwego
03-27-2007, 10:07 AM
I missed this the first time around.

My mom has used an ecv at the parks twice now. (she brought it from home both times) and you really do want one from outside if you can get it. At night tired and out of steam is not the time to press on to the room with little mobility. Plus it's so much easier to recharge over night.

Do practice in a Store or similiar it's a great way to figure out some of the distance. And make sure (if you rent outside) that you take advantatge of the lower crowd levels at the resort to practice things like backing up etc without the pressure of people around.

Most people are very very friendly about them. And the Cm's will help you with where to park them etc. You can also email Disneyworld guestrelations to get maps that highlight the ride lines with access for ecv's etc. I know my mom did that the first trip and felt much better knowing ahead of time a little of what to expect.

Enjoy your trip and keep asking as many questions as you want.

mickeefan
03-27-2007, 07:45 PM
We are a two ECV family. Neither of us can walk any distance without stopping.so that is why we rent from an outside company(Walker). DD is also there to help us. We didn't realize how much we were missing until we started renting them.We did know every bench in Disneyworld.Before ECV's by the time we left the resort and entered the park we were already tired. We were able to drive right up to the side entrance of the Haunted Mansion and up to where we boarded for soarin.
We are Poly fans through and through. It's great to hop over to the TTC and catch the monorail to Epcot or the ferry boat to the MK.
We have no problems whatsoever with the monorail. We are not crazy about the buses and avoid them when we can, but that is just us.
They deliver to our resort the afternoon before we want them and are there waiting for us.
Another thing to consider is if you visit a second park during the day they may have rented out all the available ECV's.

Marilyn Michetti
03-27-2007, 09:45 PM
I bring my Pride Victory with me on the plane, and it's fine - mid sized and comfortable. This year, tho', I'm thinking of getting a much smaller one for the trip. Pride has one called a Go - Go that gets 10 mile per charge, and is light enough for DH to lift into a tight spot. There's another called a Zip'r.

Both can be gotten online for $585, with free shipping, and an extra free battery. They can accomodate 250 lbs. Now, they're not as comfortable as a larger one, and they only go 4 mph, but my tush doesn't need to be anything but seated, and 4mph is fast enough in any park. No power surges to launch me into orbit.

It's a good deal, about the same price as two rentals, and she can use it in the mall when she gets home.:thumbsup: