PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Dallas

Mike Serafin
02-12-2007, 12:22 PM
We will be making our third trip to WDW this July. I typically prefer the interstates and as such I have always taken I-20 east to Shreveport then I-49 down to I-10 and across to I-75. Street Atlas likes to route you along I-20to Jackson then down US49 to US98 to Mobile. Has anyone driven this route? It is about 50 miles shorter than the all interstate route. I'm guessing that it is pretty much a wash on elapsed time since I assume the speed limits are lower and there are probably more stops because of all the towns along the way.

epcot3
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
We have driven it one time, in 5 trips to florida. It was slower for us because of the towns and all. The scenery is a nice change from the "normal" route we drive, but we only drove it once. I prefer interstates when I want to get from point A to point B. I think is actually took us a bit longer going the way you are considering. But then when there is a wreck on one of the I-10 bridges in LA, it takes longer that way. Enjoy the drive whichever way you go.

ibrowse17
02-12-2007, 01:54 PM
While that route is getting better( 4 lanes in some places) I would still stick to the interstate. Either way, have a great trip!!

Lillabelle00
04-07-2007, 02:02 PM
HI,

You might want to check and make sure that all those roads are still open. Last year one of the bridges (I think that connects either HWY 90 or 98) was still out from the hurricane. Just thought you might want to know before you head out on your trip. We hope to be making our first camping trip to Disney in late May. We can't wait. Enjoy!! :mickey:

seamstress
04-12-2007, 10:35 AM
We drove the interstate to Disney last month from Leonard, TX (NE of McKinney) and had no problems at all; however coming back home east of Pensacola the highway was backed up on the other side for miles for a little bit of construction. My suggestion is to NOT be running late or even cutting it close if you have to be there at a certain time. Also look out when you hit 75 in Florida. Everyone seemed to be driving a bit crazy. (Much worse than Dallas after a rain shower:crowd:) We saw the worst act of road rage on the way down. Be careful and buckle up.

Camping Mom
04-15-2007, 09:40 PM
We usually go thru Shreveport, Vicksburg, Mobile, Pensecola, and on that way. Last year we were at a reunion and had to go Waco to Houston area and along the coast. Seemed like it took longer. I know the bridge you are talking about...it was ok last summer. Not fully complete and you had to drive across metal sections here and there (scary for me because I hate driving over water.) Interstate works best for us because we pull a travel trailer to WDW. Boring, but better. Have fun..