PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain

HJL413
02-11-2007, 10:55 PM
I am not a thrill ride person and have never been on Splash Mountain. I am trying to get my courage up for our upcoming trip. I need some words of wisdom and encouragement

JPL
02-11-2007, 11:04 PM
The drop is really not bad at all and you are really missing a great ride. I say go for it the show inside is awesome even if they removed the drop i would still ride :thumbsup:

Melanie
02-11-2007, 11:08 PM
It's just too good of an attraction (excellent theming, views, music) to miss for the 5 seconds it takes to go down the drop. And I think the drop looks much worse than it is. Try it...I think you will like it! :thumbsup:

TexasPrincessAurora
02-11-2007, 11:29 PM
The drop is such a small, tiny part of this attraction. It really is one of the best themed and most entertaining attractions at WDW. I've known people who rode it who absolutely hated any kind of thrill ride at all and absolutely loved it. The drop is not bad at all really and over before you know it. To me it's really not that much more than the drop in the Maelstrom or the one in POTC.

2Epcot
02-12-2007, 12:25 AM
We had someone in our group on my last visit to WDW who also hated thrill rides. After a couple of days we got him to go on Splash Mountain and he loved it. Like others have said, the drop is only a small part of the ride and it is over quickly. :mickey:

Touchdown
02-12-2007, 12:26 AM
The other great thing about the drop is that its really split in two by the briar patch you will not get the sense of vertigo you would normally get on a drop that size because the "ground" is halfway up the drop.

This ride is without a doubt the best ride in the MK, and my second favorite ride at WDW (ToT being the first) because of its amazing show scenes, it may not look it but this ride is 10+ minutes long, so you are really getting much more of a dark ride then thrill ride.

dixielandings
02-12-2007, 01:10 AM
I think the drop itself is over in a couple of seconds and the Imagineers were kind enough to reveal the most thrilling part of the ride right there on the outside of the Mountain. The inside is what to go for - it's a brilliant show. Do it - you will not be disappointed. :mickey:

Womble
02-12-2007, 08:50 AM
The drop is such a small, tiny part of this attraction. It really is one of the best themed and most entertaining attractions at WDW.

And I think the drop looks much worse than it is.

Agree 100% with TexasPrincessAurora and Melanears.

I don’t know weather it is because you are in a deep log, the sides of the drop are high or because you go under the bridge, the drop does not feel as scary as you imagine it would be!

Altair
02-12-2007, 09:03 AM
The Laughin' Place alone makes this ride worth experiencing.:thumbsup:

If the big drop bothers you, just close your eyes and that feeling of dread should go away.

indytraveler
02-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Go for it... The drop is only a small part of the ride like everyone else has said. I kept waiting for the drop the first time b/c riding with DS 5 he was anxious and I missed some of the good theming. next time I was able to enjoy.

Buttercup
02-12-2007, 09:59 AM
My feeling is this: if the drop was all THAT bad, they would have installed seat-belts on the ride! :mickey:
It honestly looks worse than it really is.

Pop Centurion
02-12-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm not good with drops at all but Splash Mountain isn't bad. Trust me, you'll want to ride again & again after the first time.

wjrhw
02-12-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm not a big fan of flume rides, they seem to stress me out thinking about getting wet in the end. The first time on Splash was OK, but I was thinking about getting wet too much. After the first time, this ride became my favorite ride in WDW. The drop is not bad at all, I relax and enjoy it now.

Belle619
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
I'm very scared of heights, but I have to say that Splash Mountain was not bad at all. What is good about the ride is there is only one big drop and then you're done in a matter of seconds - unlike roller coasters where you go up and down for minutes on end.

I agree with the other posts - the theming is great and when the drop comes, close your eyes and hold on - it will be over before you know it!

KAT1811
02-12-2007, 01:11 PM
It's nothing. you'll be just fine. :thumbsup: I really wish they would remove the height restriction or figure out a way the smaller children could ride. The ride itself is wonderful and it should be able to be enjoyed by everyone. The drop is over before you even realize it started. I wouldn't even classify this as a "thrill" ride. Best of luck and you'll be just fine. After you ride you'll have to let us all know how you made out!!!:mickey:

kurt
02-12-2007, 01:11 PM
it's not so much of a thrill ride as it is a dark ride. you get plenty of time at the end to close your eyes if the drop bothers you. if you like Pirates this one isn't any worse. good luck:thumbsup:

Jasper
02-12-2007, 01:23 PM
One other thing to be aware of is that there are a couple of little humps, bumps, whoop-de-doos, or whatever you want to call them earlier in the ride before the big drop. I mention them not to frighten you but to ease your mind. Some people get frightened when they hit these little bumps thinking they are at the big drop which is close to the end.

Don't worry because you will know when you are at the big drop because your log gets lifted to the dop of the drop hill on a conveyor belt. You will definately know when you are there.

Enjoy, the one big drop is not that big of a deal!!

alilprincessmom
02-12-2007, 01:26 PM
I agree with the rest of the folks on here! This is more of a dark ride than a thrill ride, because the drop is such a tiny part of the ride! Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed, and you will probably be overjoyed that you did!

FenwayGirl
02-12-2007, 03:25 PM
I just close my eyes when we get to the top of the drop....keep in mind that there are a few smaller drops inside!

WDW_Obsessed
02-12-2007, 06:33 PM
This is such a great ride:mickey: My mom absolutely despises drop rides, but I convinced her to give Splash a try because the ride itself is so very cute. I knew she would adore it and I warned her ahead of time that there were a few little drops throughout the ride. We had a great time and I was right...it's one of her favorites now!:thumbsup: Give it a try at least once and I think you'll find it's a fun ride with two seconds worth of a drop. If nothing else you'll be proud of yourself for taking a chance!

Donald Duck 224
02-12-2007, 07:49 PM
The story is too good to miss and the drop is just like a big belly flop. Nothing major.

CU Tiger
02-12-2007, 07:52 PM
My mother had the same apprehension as you:cry: and we finally talked her into trying it. Now this is one of her favorite things to do at DW:clappy: . Go for it!! You will love the ride. The one drop is only a small part of a fairly long ride.:mickey:

Donald A
02-12-2007, 08:38 PM
The theming on Splash Mountain is the standard for every other ride in the world. It is right there with Tower of Terror and probably even better. It is a long ride and the drop is not that bad. As others have pointed out, it looks worse than it is and not even bad enough to need a seat belt. You can watch the ride and actually see sorta what it is like on youtube. You gotta try it!

DisneyGirl85
02-13-2007, 08:10 AM
It’s a great ride and you should definitely try it at least once. DB 6 year old is afraid of everything especially drops and he went on it last time with no problem. The ride itself without the drop is great! Think of it this way, you don’t need any kind of seat belt to ride it so it can’t be all that bad. Even if you are very scared it's over in a few seconds. Oh and there are a few tiny drops before the big one that psych you out too. I’d say try it.:thumbsup:

DizNee143
02-13-2007, 10:34 AM
im not much of a thrill ride kinda person either..anything that goes to fast or has drops gets to me..it makes my stomach not feel good!! but i get over that..for splash moutain..its a great ride..definetly give it a try..if you dont like it..at least you tried it once and got to see what it was all about...goodluck!! :mickey:

TheMartellFamily
02-13-2007, 11:54 AM
The show inside the ride is great and the best on site. The drop is over in a matter of 2 seconds. Let me tell you though one of the best views in WDW is that at the top just before you drop. It should not be missed. It is great at night to see everything from up there but you have to look quick as for it only lasts for a second. I say try it and you may see that it really was not that bad. IF the drop bothers you to see it try it during the night when it is dark and look out at the horizon and before yo know it the drop is done, man it really is a great ride.

thrillme
02-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Don't let life pass you by because of fears of things that are PERFECTLY safe.

It's a wonderful whimzical ride. Very cute inside. I LOVE it...you can't help but love it. When you're at the top...especially at night...it's beautiful to watch Cinderella's castle changing colors as you pass by. You can just about see the whole park.

My DS's advice is "if is scares you ride it 5 times till it doesn't anymore".:mickey:

Kenny1113
02-13-2007, 01:22 PM
I'll tell you what i told my DS 5 before riding Space mt in OCT. If you don't like it, you don't have to ride it again.

kittylove
02-19-2007, 12:57 AM
The scariest part of Splash Mountain is not the drop...it's realizing afterward that you have to spend the next 2 hours in wet undies. : P

Go to your dollar store, buy a cheap (ours are 2 for $1) rain poncho, remember to pack it in your park bag, and enjoy the show...and making fun of everybody else's wet undies!

AndrewJackson
02-19-2007, 08:41 AM
My daughter was in the same boat. I knew she would love the ride, but the drop really scared her. I convinced her by watching the ride and drop on youtube. She is now a regular, and she loves it.

avantgardeinker
02-19-2007, 09:37 AM
My mother-in-law rides it every time we go and she loves it! She HATES any type of thrill ride. You should definely go on it. You're missing out on one of the best themed rides in the park. The colors and music are wonderful. And it's the only place in the park where you can see all the colorful characters of Song of the South

Rodders
02-19-2007, 10:16 AM
It may not look it but this ride is 10+ minutes long, so you are really getting much more of a dark ride then thrill ride.

:unsure: I didn't believe you when I first read 10 minutes :confused:

I have been on it loads of times and still don't remember it being so long. I had to look it up on a popular video website before I could accept it as true. Such a doubting Thomas. :confused:

Time surely flies when you are in the happy place :mickey:

You can't miss this ride. One of the best. I really wouldn't let a few seconds put you off a wonderful 10 minute show/ride.

LudwigVonDrake
02-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Don't let the final drop get in the way of you missing a great ride. Sit in the back of the log or close your eyes during the final drop. Just get on that ride!!! :mickey:

JabberJaws
02-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Here are all the words of wisdom that you need...

Splash Mountain is one of the best family rides (or any rides) in Walt Disney World and is an absolute MUST SEE!:D

battle beast
02-19-2007, 11:04 AM
If my 85 year old Uncle can do it, so can you!!

WDW_girl
02-19-2007, 05:00 PM
dont worry about it. before you know it the drop will be over. you will be fine. have fun!!!:party:

HJL413
02-19-2007, 09:56 PM
It will happen. It will be included in my trip reports. The words of encouragement are awesome

Fantasmic
02-20-2007, 05:19 AM
The drop is nothing, honestly, it's over in 2 seconds, the other 11 minutes of the ride are the best thing ! (and Br'er Fox)

lightyearfan
02-20-2007, 01:03 PM
i'm not a thrill nut either, and i kind of stay away from such rides, but listen to someone who gets car sick if he's not sitting in the front, don't miss put on Splash Mtn, this is a wonderful ride as stated by JPL, the inside show is enough to make this an awesome attraction, the drop isn't so bad and if the lines are short enough you'll probably want to ride again and again

VIctor

#1TinkFan
02-20-2007, 05:09 PM
I have faith in you! It really is a fun ride!

HJL413
02-27-2007, 07:57 AM
Splash Mountain here I come

4ubie1
02-27-2007, 09:06 AM
I say "give it a chance." If you don't like it, than you don't have to go on it again and you won't have to wonder "what if". Honestly, the ride is fantastically themed and by the time you get to the drop, it is over. I don't think you will be sorry giving it at least one chance.:thumbsup:

Goes4FastPass
02-27-2007, 11:48 AM
My young neice was appehensive. We practiced yelling, "Ha, ha ha!" for the drop.

We had big fun.

King Triton
02-27-2007, 12:21 PM
It's just too good of an attraction (excellent theming, views, music) to miss for the 5 seconds it takes to go down the drop. And I think the drop looks much worse than it is. Try it...I think you will like it! :thumbsup:

I agree. I'm not much of a thrill ride seeker myself, but I enjoy SPlash Mtn. I don't even think its 5 seconds of drop...probably closer to 2 or 3.

Walt's Mickey
02-28-2007, 02:48 AM
Splash Mountain is our favorite ride in the whole park. Not because of the drop, but because of the whole ambiance. It is a must do ride in my book. My 4 year old loved it two years ago and can't wait to ride it again at age 6. You HAVE to ride this one. If you don't....you will be very sorry you missed it.
When we play the Magic Kindom board game, every one wants that as an attraction card.

HJL413
03-06-2007, 08:09 AM
We returned last night from an amazing trip to Disney World. I will post a trip report soon. I want to thank everyone on this thread for the words of encouragement. Splash Mountain is amazing and I loved the ride. I will provide more detail in my trip report

Imakejessicarabbitjelous
03-06-2007, 08:14 AM
i say go for it! if i can get my dad on to go on twice then you can do it. He was so scared i fooled him both times:)

HJL413
03-18-2007, 10:23 PM
I did it and then I did it again and then again as many of your predicted. I will provide details in my trip reports

mttafire
03-18-2007, 11:22 PM
it's not so much of a thrill ride as it is a dark ride. you get plenty of time at the end to close your eyes if the drop bothers you. if you like Pirates this one isn't any worse. good luck:thumbsup:
Splash is one of the BEST dark rides...You HAVE to ride it!! ( I mean EXPERIENCE)it!!:mickey: OOPS!! I just realized you DID do it...Congrats.

disneykat
03-19-2007, 02:39 PM
My children have been riding splash mountain since they met the height requirement. We had to bribe DD at age 3 with a :mickey: ice cream bar but she LOVED it! That is now our traditional first ride of the trip. My kids are now 8 and 10 and always lead the way to Splash Mountain as soon as we enter MK. On one trip, we rode it 24 times in one week! Go ahead and ride. . .as mentioned earlier. . .the inside theming is amazing. ENJOY!!

WDWFREAK101
03-28-2007, 08:57 AM
I love Splash Mountain. Go to Google video and watch the SM video before visting Disney so you can see waht will happen. (It will be kind of dark though) There are really only 2 anticipation parts of the ride.

1.At the very beggining when you turn in front of the final drop

2.At the end when you are climbing up the hill for the last drop, it is a littlde dark with bats eyes looking at you while erie music is playing.

Also you neeed to remember the drop is (i timed it) about 1.98 seconds. It is very short.

Jeff G
03-28-2007, 09:28 AM
We returned last night from an amazing trip to Disney World. I will post a trip report soon. I want to thank everyone on this thread for the words of encouragement. Splash Mountain is amazing and I loved the ride. I will provide more detail in my trip report

Glad to hear you tried it and can't wait to here about your trip.

flying carpet
03-28-2007, 09:28 AM
DO IT!

Serious the ride is beautiful and the drop is really not that bad.

This is a must ride!

Darin M
03-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Don't worry about the drop for this ride. The rude-thru itself is amazing. Truly gorgeous. What's a 2 second drop, after you experience some of the most beautiful storybook sets. Ride Splash Mountain. Because once you have, you will be riding it again very shortly.

MargaretMessler
03-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Definitely try it. There is so much more to this ride than the final drop. (Which isn't all that bad, but excellent design makes it look like more.) It's a really fun log ride with songs and characters, I often see people just kind of bopping along in their logs to the music.

battle beast
03-28-2007, 01:39 PM
NONE of the rides at DL or the MK are "thrill rides." Let me explain: The rides are so tame, ANYONE can do them!

Now, the Rides at Dis Studios is a different story. ToT and RnRC are "thrill rides," and are for advanced riders.

But, once you go on several rides, several times, you will become a pro! They aren't really all that scary, and the drop on Splash mountain is over before you can think. It's really, really fun!

Don't Worry!:mickey: