PDA

View Full Version : Memphis

WLfans
02-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Thoughts on visiting with kids. Thinking of staying at the Peabody. Doing Sun, Graceland and Gibson guitar tours. Hitting Beale St too. Any idea on drive time from Memphis to Nashville?

Thanks

tundramom
02-10-2007, 10:18 PM
We're also going to be in Memphis & Nashville ( Ultimately Little Rock to see family). According to Expedia it is 3 hrs. and 8 mins. between the 2 towns, but my DSIL says the construction around Memphis is horrible and traffic really slows down there.

Advnt05
02-15-2007, 01:45 PM
I got married a year back to a woman who grew up in Memphis. I'm make the drive from Atlanta to Memphis (7 hours) about 4-5 times a year now. She says it takes 3-3.5 hours from Nashville to make the drive. Here are a couple of tourist things that I have found neat when I have gone that you should consider:
1) Sun Studios- $10 per person and you tour the studio where Elvis first recorded.
2) Beale Street- Lots of bars but fun in the day time if you are with your family. Great music all night long.
3) Pink Palace- Haven't been there yet but it's on my next trip.
4) Mud Island- Great place to picnic and hang out. There are some river boat cruises there as well.
5) Eat at Big Foots (in downtown area). They have a 4 pound burger for $20 that you get for free if you can eat it all. I saw a family of 6 split one among the 6 which is cheap when you look at it that way.

I hear Graceland is anti-climatic. I haven't gone yet but most folks that live there tell me not to do so. It's hard to resist though.

Melanie
02-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Not sure when you are going to be there, but if it's during baseball season and you enjoy that sort of thing, go see the Redbirds! We went to a game last year when we were passing through town. Great stadium, perfect setting, excellent baseball atmosphere. :bball:

wire0monkey
02-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Is Graceland anti-climatic?

The house itself was not much. It's a relatively modest house for a guy who was making a ton of money.

On the other hand, the tour information was interesting, the history of his career was interesting, and the costumes and gold records and Elvis "stuff" was interesting.

Tigerinvestigator
02-28-2007, 09:10 PM
The drive from Memphis to Nashville is a about 3.5 hrs and there is not much construction going on right now. If you can't book the peabody, the Hampton Inn on Beale Street is also nice. Blues City Cafe on Beale has great food, The Bigfoot Lodge across from the Peabody has an 8pound burger called the Sasquatch which is good (order and eat it like a pizza and it will feed 5). Go see my Memphis Tigers at the FedEx Forum (walking distance from Peabody) or go see the Redbirds at Autozone Park. Throw in Staxx Museum if you have the time. My Aunt Estelle Axton founded Staxx Records. Downtown Memphis is unbelievably improved and a great place to visit. Have a great trip.

Christine
02-28-2007, 10:29 PM
oh I love Memphis! I haven't been in years. Do they still have Libertyland?? I haven't seen anyone mention it yet??

Tigerinvestigator
03-05-2007, 06:59 PM
oh I love Memphis! I haven't been in years. Do they still have Libertyland?? I haven't seen anyone mention it yet??

Libertyland has actually closed its gates forever. They have been trying to sell it off a little at a time. Will probably become tailgate area for the Liberty Bowl. It also may be the site of the new stadium that is in the planning stages (if we can't build one on campus).

Wayne
03-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Memphis to Nashville is about 3.5 hours stright through. We always make a stop for ice cream at Casey Jones Village in Jackson.

d_m_n_n
03-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Thoughts on visiting with kids. Thinking of staying at the Peabody. Doing Sun, Graceland and Gibson guitar tours. Hitting Beale St too. Any idea on drive time from Memphis to Nashville?

Thanks

Hey, WLfans! I'm not sure if you've been or not, but we just got back from a long weekend in Memphis. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them for you!