PDA

View Full Version : Anyone upgrading to MS Vista?

murphy1
01-30-2007, 11:26 AM
We still have Win98 (don't laugh at me), we didn't upgrade to the last ones, b/c we figured something like Vista would be coming out by the time the last batch of upgrades came out not long ago. I think we are going to just get a whole new system, b/c this one keeps acting weird sometimes.

The Bookseller
01-30-2007, 11:44 AM
I am not hurry to upgrade. My computer run on Window XP and I don't see the need to add more to what I have alerady.

There's also the fact that I will need a new PC if I want to instal that OS.

sneezyone
01-30-2007, 11:49 AM
That's my thought as well. I'm nearing the end of my current pc...for me to upgrade would likely slow down and eat up the remainder of my available memory. So for now, I'm keeping XP and I will save my $$ and put it towards a new PC/laptop in another year or so. Then it will come preinstalled and I won't "lose" as much memory.

You know it makes me laugh, I spent extra $$ back in 2001 to get this one with 80gig harddrive and I distinctly remember the sales guy telling me I was "wasting my money because no one will ever use that much memory" yeah right buddy, ha ha ha!

DizneyRox
01-30-2007, 12:14 PM
You won't catch me upgrading to Vista anytime soon OR advising people to upgrade. Right now, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade. It's all eye candy.

You won't see a real business upgrading, not until the bugs are ironed out. XP will still be supported through 2009 I think.

If I end up getting a new OS, it will be Linux. I do think that Linux is desktop ready for the masses. While extreme gaming may not quite be there, the folks that game are probably more PC literate and can figure it out anyway.

Roger Rabbit 89
01-30-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm a manager of a computer helpdesk, and we will not be moving to Vista yet. Plus, I'm not advising our clients to purchase it yet.

I have the same feeling about new models of cars, I rather it be out a while before I get it so the bugs are worked out.

We had people move to XP to quick and they were getting hacked and having problems with some software. I'm waiting a couple of months before I switch over. I have a copy of Vista Ultimate, so I'm kind of excited about using it.

Michael

Speedy1998
01-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Just bought a new laptop on Sunday through the HP website, my only choice was Vista, so I guess I will be helping Bill Gates debug his new software.

DisneyDog
01-30-2007, 12:58 PM
We'll be getting some new ones with Vista, at my library, sometime this year. Our online catalog system will no longer support win2000, so we'll have to upgrade to Vista sooner than we had hoped.

Juggalotus
01-30-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm going MAC with my next one. I've gotten sick of messing with windows, and while I know OSX won't be flawless, I'd rather give them a shot rather than overpaying for M$ swiss cheese OS.

Lehman Family
01-30-2007, 01:31 PM
I'd love to have a copy of Vista just to test. Anyone who purchases a PC after today will only have the Vista options anymore. I work for a company that only just started moving to XP early last year. I know they won't go to Vista until after a few years, if they don't pass it by completely for the next OS after that. I don't see any harm in upgrading. But most of you who have older PC's will be better off purchasing a new one rather than trying to run it on your old ones. You could more than likely upgrade your PC's, but that will take money as well. My advice would be that if your current computer runs fine for what you need, keep using it and don't upgrade, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you want or need to upgrade, get a new computer it'll save you some hassle in the long run because upgrades historically have left out features that you would receive by installing the full version.

Damon18
01-30-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm going MAC with my next one. I've gotten sick of messing with windows, and while I know OSX won't be flawless, I'd rather give them a shot rather than overpaying for M$ swiss cheese OS.

Well you can't go wrong there anyway. The new Mac's run both operating systems. So if you find yourself feeling nostalgic and you need a good crash you can switch over to windows and relive old times whenever you get the urge. ;)

jennbunn
02-03-2007, 01:54 AM
i just rebuilt my computer and had vista put in. so far we like it alot. was not planning on getting it right away but it was the only os software i could find at the store so i got it. :)

kakn7294
02-03-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm not upgrading. About a month ago, I upgraded to the latest version of Windows XP and my whole system crashed. I lost everything because the only way I could figure out to get it back was to use the recovery disc set I made when I purchased my computer. It wouldn't even recover from the "hidden" recovery files on the hard drive - it kept telling me there was a configuration error and wouldn't let me reconnect to the internet. It was awful! I'll just stick with what I've got thanks!

Caroleh
02-03-2007, 10:59 AM
What I don't like about Vista, is MS has control over your computer. They can say you have an illegal copy of a program and they can actually delete it. I'm not willing to have MS take total control over my computer.

DizneyRox
02-03-2007, 04:33 PM
What I don't like about Vista, is MS has control over your computer. They can say you have an illegal copy of a program and they can actually delete it. I'm not willing to have MS take total control over my computer.
True, it is one step closer to the "trusted" computing platform. Funny term... Means the USER is not to be trusted. ALL users obviously are doing illegal things.

Speedy1998
02-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Just introducing my new computer to the web site where it will spend so much of its time, and I thought I would let everyone know what I think of Vista. So far I have had no problems, it seems very easy to use (it hooked up to my wireless network, while I was still playing around with the background for my desktop). My only complaint is the number of changes to the interface. Mainly moving where icons, and buttons are. Last night it took me over a minute to find the back button in internet explore, it was just not where I thought it should be.

But otherwise I really like the new functionality, I am sure with use I will get over my layout issues. I will also post any updates if I run into any bugs. Which reminds me as soon as I logged on, I received 6 windows updates.

RazdOnDis
02-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I don't have it on my home PC yet but I've messed with it here at work. I agree with the buttons issue, very confusing. Plus they are so small compared to the old ones. I can get used to that I guess but I don't understand why they felt the need to change it.

Six updates...typical Microsoft. That's why I'm waiting until it receives a service pack.

Tinkerbellaella
02-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I heard there is an ipod/itunes bug. They were reccomending not to upgrade until they have fixed it. Hmmmm?? Is that Microsoft way of getting people to buy their version of the ipod??

dw2649
02-10-2007, 05:11 PM
I heard there is an ipod/itunes bug. They were reccomending not to upgrade until they have fixed it. Hmmmm?? Is that Microsoft way of getting people to buy their version of the ipod??

I heard apple is working with microsoft on this and should be getting it fixed within the next couple of weeks. Oh well.

I'll be upgrading my laptop to vista in a couple of weeks just as soon as I can get more memory for my laptop from Dell (2 512K memory chips just doesn't cut it with vista ultimate, so I'll need 2 1GB RAM chips, which are currently on 1-2 week backorder). But since I am planning on upgrading my laptop to 64 bit vista (yes, my laptop can handle it), the Itunes upgrade problem won't really matter since I'll have to do a clean installation of Windows anyway no matter whether i purchase the upgrade or full version (can't upgrade to a 64 bit operating system from within a 32 bit Windows according to Microsoft).

Speedy1998
02-10-2007, 11:26 PM

If there is I have not run into it yet. I loaded iTunes this morning with no problems, and just finished setting up my wifes iPod with no problems. If I run into the bug I will let everyone know.

vizsla
02-11-2007, 07:15 AM
Please keep us updated on how you like Windows Vista. This morning DW was looking at ads in the newspaper looking for a new notebook, and she is worried about buying one with Vista because she has heard of some problems.

The Bookseller
02-11-2007, 12:21 PM
I just want to say thank you all for the info. I don't plan of updating soon (I will need a new PC next year) but this thread will prepare me to the upcoming fact. Thanks!

dw2649
02-17-2007, 03:54 AM
I just upgraded to Vista 64 bit today. Everything seemed to go just fine. I have got to say that I am impressed with it. It is much better than windows XP in my opinion. I have had very few problems with the new operating system except for the fact that my Linksys Wired Print Server is not currently compatible with Windows Vista (but they say that they should have the updated drivers for it out in a "few days". Also, the UAC seems to be blocking my favorite internet browser (Firefox) or one of the addons to it, so I just turned UAC off for the time being until the problem is fixed.

By the way, for the people asking about Installing Itunes on Windows Vista in a prior thread, I had no problem doing it whatsoever. The most important things that I found helped me in the installation were the fact that that I did a clean installation of windows( B/C per microsoft's instructions you cannot start an installation of a 64 bit operating system from within a 32 bit operating system like windows xp pro). Also, make sure that you deauthorize your Itunes account from the computer that you are upgrading prior to installing the new operating system. Then, when the new operating system and all the software is installed, reauthorize the computer on your Itunes account. This makes sure that your computer is only taking up one authorization (instead of two because the Itunes store does not know that your computer is the same one as before and therefore would treat it as 2 seperate computers.)

Oh, and one more suggestion if you are thinking about upgrading to vista:
If you can afford it, go to the computer store and buy a program such as Acronis True Image 10 (or norton ghost versions 7 or 8 if you can find them) and an external hard drive. Then use the program such as Acronis True Image to create an image of your hard drive prior to upgrading the operating system and store it on the external drive. The image includes the operating system as well as some, if not all, of the programs on your system at the time as well as all your my documents and settings. That way if the upgrade to windows vista goes haywire for you, you can just use the image to go back to your prior operating system very quickly and easily.

if anybody has any questions about Vista I'll try to answer them as best I can, but be aware that I am still playing around with it and have not figured out everything yet.

Daniel

dw2649
02-17-2007, 04:13 AM
I heard apple is working with microsoft on this and should be getting it fixed within the next couple of weeks. Oh well.

I'll be upgrading my laptop to vista in a couple of weeks just as soon as I can get more memory for my laptop from Dell (2 512K memory chips just doesn't cut it with vista ultimate, so I'll need 2 1GB RAM chips, which are currently on 1-2 week backorder). But since I am planning on upgrading my laptop to 64 bit vista (yes, my laptop can handle it), the Itunes upgrade problem won't really matter since I'll have to do a clean installation of Windows anyway no matter whether i purchase the upgrade or full version (can't upgrade to a 64 bit operating system from within a 32 bit Windows according to Microsoft).

Well, I just upgraded and I have to say I like Vista better than XP. File transfers and installations seem to go much faster than on XP. The installation seemed to go much faster than my last XP installation, only taking 30-60 minutes (last one took well over an hour minimum). I also think the layout is much better and much more streamlined, although I admit it takes a bit of getting used to. Microsoft seems to have taken a page out of the Apple OS X GUI in this regaurd. I still, however, am having some problems as not all the hardware and software I use have been upgraded to support Vista (mainly my linksys wired Print Server, but no biggie as the printer is not to far from where the laptop usually is so I can just plug it in directly via a USB port on the back of my laptop if needed.)

In regards to the Itunes/ Vista Problem, I have not encountered any so far (maybe I am just lucky) and Apple has not even released 7.0.3 yet. I did deauthorize my Itunes account on my laptop prior to upgrading so that Itunes would see my laptop as the same computer, not a different one.

I am, however, going to keep my desktop at XP until I get a new desktop as I do not think it could handle Vista at all ( i had to add more memory to my laptop for it to handle vista properly, and the laptop I only bought back in October '06.).

If anybody has any vista questions, please let me know.

GrumpyFan
10-09-2007, 12:24 PM
I realize this is dated, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

DW got a new laptop with Vista on it, and she is not a fan, nor am I. It came with 512meg of ram, but is very slow to startup and shutdown, plus hibernation/sleep tends to cause problems. Some of her applications will not run without repeatedly giving her the warning of being a non-supported or questionable application. Mind you these ran fine on XP.

Personally, I'm not real impressed with it either, and I'll stick with XP for a while longer. At this point I don't see any need or want to switch.

Tygger7
10-09-2007, 01:16 PM
My husband is a developer/technical guru, and we had to purchase a new desktop system earlier this year (a few months after Vista was released). In short, he HATES :badpc: it and is ready to throw out the new computer and switch to Mac. His main gripes:

1. Speed - Even though our new computer far EXCEEDS the minimum requirements for Vista, it is almost as slow as our 5-year old XP machine. We didn't see any improvement in performance, which has been frustrating for what we spent.

2. iTunes - What a nightmare. Even with all the patches and updates, iTunes is volatile and unstable. It frequently locks up and you have to reboot.

3. Other non-Microsoft Software - Another nightmare. Try finding Vista compatible software. My husband does a lot of recording (via an Audiofire interface, with Cubase software), and he still can't get a version to play nice with Vista. Again, system crashes are way too common.

4. Stability - This is a joke. Vista is EXTREMELY unstable, and we can't do any task without it locking up and crashing at least on a daily basis. Even the "compatible" Microsoft programs don't work well...they crash as often as the non-MS programs do.:mad:

It's so bad, that he's considering reloading our brand new pc with XP (Alienware and some Dell business systems can still be purchased with XP). So, if you can't find a computer that will allow you to purchase it with XP, don't waste your time and money with Vista...it's just not worth it.

Hope this helps!

DisFan01
10-09-2007, 05:24 PM
I'm a computer nerd, and I have heard that Vista only works fine if you buy an entirely new system. If you'd rather keep your computer, then you should install XP (at any store), but if you want a new computer, they all (or at least a lot) come with Vista now. :badpc: :thumbsup:

Magic Smiles
10-09-2007, 10:40 PM
My DS computer is under an Extended Service Plan through Best Buy. He now needs a new mother board which HP cannot come up with as the computer is almost 3 years old. His computer still works, but Best Buy broke a clip off that holds some piece when they were installing a new video card. They are willing to replace the whole CPU, but then we have to take VISTA. All his programs and computer games are for XP. Will he run into lots of problems with his old video games?
I have also heard lots of horror stories about Vista. We have it for my DH laptop (Toshiba sent it to us free on release), but won't be installing it until at least the first few Service Packs are released. Even though Vista states that it only need 512 RAM, I have heard that you need a MINIMUM of 2 GIG RAM to run it smoothly. Our laptop has that, but we are still waiting.

wdwfansince75
10-10-2007, 08:59 AM
I am somewhat concerned about saying anything negative about Vista, since I suspect there are MS placed spies watching my every keystroke.
It is a disaster! It is not much of an improvement for the average user. It makes your PC almost as good as a Mac, without the speed of a Mac......Most games are not compatible. You have to download patches or Vista versions of software and drivers for most printers, external hard drives, and other periferals. And my ISP still (after 9 months) doesn't have a security suite compatible with Vista.

I do a lot of research and downloads from governmental sites, mostly state sites. I also do some state site applications for workforce development grants. Several states advise that they are not yet compatible with Vista. Some states don't tell you, but obviously are not yet compatible.
I've got to run. Just saw an SUV with Washington state plates drive slowly around the cul de sac. Fortunately, my mailbox is not Vista compatible either, so they may not recognize my address.

future_imagineer
10-13-2007, 10:49 PM
I despise Microsoft. I despise Windows. I especially despise Windows Vista.