PDA

View Full Version : FinDING NEMO SUBMARINE VOYAGE Opening June 11, 2007

Carol
01-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Disneyland Media;
25 January 2007

Underwater Adventure Returns to Disneyland Park In Time for ‘The Year of a Million Dreams’!

ANAHEIM, Calif. – In preparation for a brand-new “E-Ticket” attraction at Disneyland, the Tomorrowland Submarine Lagoon is being transformed into the underwater habitat of Nemo, Marlin, Dory and friends for the “Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.”

The new attraction, opening June 11, 2007 as part of “The Year of a Million Dreams” at Disneyland, will feature extensively enhanced versions of the eight original submarines from the fondly remembered “Submarine Voyage” attraction, which explored the “liquid space” of the lagoon from 1959 through 1998. “Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage” is inspired by the Disney/Pixar film, Finding Nemo.

“From the very beginning, we’ve combined new innovations with favorite stories to create magical new worlds,” declared Jay Rasulo, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, when he unveiled plans for the attraction. “In ‘Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage,’ our guests will experience Nemo’s world in a way that has never been done before.”

As a member of the sub crew, guests will embark on an expedition to the site of an erupting undersea volcano. Soon after departure, they will be delighted to discover their favorite fish friends getting into the swim of things right alongside their submarine! Nemo and company are able to go along for the ride thanks to a stunning new animation technology developed exclusively by Walt Disney Imagineering. The Finding Nemo characters will appear exactly as they do in the film, but in a real, three-dimensional underwater setting.

Along with the improved unique underwater technology, the “Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage” will feature fully sculpted Audio-Animatronics characters, including scuba divers and the scavenging seagulls (“Mine, Mine”) from Finding Nemo.

“We are literally bringing the undersea world of Finding Nemo off the screen and into the submarine lagoon of Tomorrowland!” says Tom Fitzgerald, executive vice president and senior creative executive for Walt Disney Imagineering, creative arm for all Disney parks and resorts. “We are going to immerse our guests into an adventure that will leave them in disbelief - - they will want to experience this new attraction over and over to find out – ‘How did they do that?’”

The Finding Nemo submarine vehicles are being enhanced in a number of ways, including the addition of two extra seats and portal windows in anticipation of expanded guest interest. In a first-of-its-kind development, the submarines are being converted from the diesel power of the 1950s to a new, environmentally friendly fully electric power. With new on-board audio, guests will get to hear the sounds and voices of the underwater characters as they move alongside the submarine. These sounds are synchronized to travel along with the figures under water using a four-channel stereophonic sound system. Guests will get to eavesdrop on the exploits of Dory (Blue Tang fish), Marlin (Clown fish), Crush (Turtle), Bruce (Great White Shark) and the members of the “tank gang,” and most importantly, take part in an ever changing adventure of trying to “find” Nemo throughout the voyage.

Along the way guests will travel through colorful undersea environments created using yet another original Imagineering-developed technology. The underwater scenes will be more eye-popping than ever before thanks to custom colors created from recycled glass, providing deeper, richer hues that last longer under water. After surviving a sub-shaking volcanic eruption, the subs will dive alongside a breathtakingly beautiful coral reef where Marlin, Nemo and all their friends gather to celebrate finding Nemo at last!

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is one of the new immersive experiences at Disneyland during the Year of a Million Dreams celebration, which began on October 1 at Disney Parks in the United States. For 15 months, the Resort will celebrate dreams coming true, making literally millions of dreams, large and small, come true for eligible guests. Many money-can't-buy experiences—from exclusive Dream FASTPASSES for popular Disney attractions to around-the-world vacations or a stay in the special Mickey Mouse Penthouse at the Disneyland Hotel—will be awarded at random. There are other "Dreams Come True" opportunities for guests to meet and play with Disney Princesses at Disney Princess Fantasy Faire, duel with Darth Vader at Jedi Training Academy or join in the fun of the High School Musical Pep Rally. "The Year of a Million Dreams" continues throughout 2007.

--------------------------

:fingers:

I hope this date stays on track. I so want to see this attraction when I take my youngest to Disneyland in July. :nemo::dory:

:joy:

LibertyTreeGal
01-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Well doggone... now I have to go back next year too...

......and then again in 2008 for the Toy Story ride.

BklynChick
02-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Yeah, baby! :thumbsup:

I got to see the WDW Nemo ride at Epcot during soft opening, and now I'll get to ride the DL version during my trip this fall. I'm on a roll! Much better than my usual timing of juuuust missing new rides (like E:E).

I remember riding the original Submarines during my first trip to DL in the 90's. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new version.

I hope the seagulls are set up like they are ouside of The Seas with Nemo. They cracked me up so much I actually took video with my digital camera!

NotaGeek
02-10-2007, 01:56 AM
:clappy: :joy: :yay: :cheer:

scoot241
02-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Does DL do soft openings like WDW? I'll be in Cali from May 27 - June 2 and will just miss the opening.

kandokat
02-10-2007, 12:16 PM
:nemo: Do any of you know if they will do a soft opening @ Disneyland for Finding Nemo? I am going April 29th to May 5th, and it opens in June. Please I really want to know.
:nemo:

frozman
02-10-2007, 12:31 PM
I believe I heard something about soft openings in the past for DL. but it will depend on how ready the attraction is. I asked a WDW cast member when the Pirates ride was supposed to reopen last year. His response was "July 8th" but then he was like "uhmmm... are you going to be here July 1st?" and he then explained to me that they were "planning" to do a soft opening that day, if the attraction was ready, so that they could make sure the ride was ready for it's "real" opening (ie cast members trained, quene space up to speed) and they could also see how many people get on it so they can take the necessary steps to be ready when the "real" opening is. Basically, if the attraction is good and ready well before June 11th, I'd put my money on it opening early. But bare in mind, Spalsh Mountain (at DL) was 6 months behind schedule.

tinkwest
02-11-2007, 04:14 PM
While riding the Matterhorn Bobsleds on Friday I caught a fairly good glimpse of what I would assume were all of the submarines out at the docking area. They were bright yellow with blue trim. Same colors as the sign in the picture below. The lagoon was filled with beautifully clear water and you could see the colorful coral beneath the surface. I'm so glad life is coming back to this corner of Disneyland!

Chescat
02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Problem with Pirates was they were trying to tie it with the movie premiere. Rumor was they wanted Johnny Depp to be the first to ride it when it opened. For Nemo I bet they do a soft opening. Monsters in DCA was open for over a month before it "officially" opened.

Also since they are having the movie premiere of Pirates 3 at the park, I bet they have it open for those people to ride (I think premiere should be the week before Memorial Day weekend, since the movie opens Memorial Day). The Pirate Island is also suppose to open when Pirates 3 does also.

*tinker_belle*
02-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Can't wait to see this new ride!

You know, its funny actually but when i was 6 years old and the Little Mermaid had just come out, i sent in a drawing i did to Disney Imagineering of how they should change the submarine ride into a Little Mermaid ride with much of the same premise as the Nemo ride is supposed to be having. This was when the sub ride was still in operation. Even back then at age 6, i was having Disney ideas to make the park better!:mickey:

ChipnDaleGal
02-14-2007, 04:34 PM
I am so excited about this! I never got to do the 20,000 League submarines at WDW. Hopefully if they finish on time we can try it out this summer!! :yay:

Belle619
02-22-2007, 02:04 PM
I can't wait to ride this - I better start saving money after next weeks trip to WDW!!! :nemo:

I too never had the chance to ride 20k, so this will be a totally new experience for me! :dory:

Marla
02-24-2007, 11:28 PM
My expierence also smells of soft opening. There are alot of sites out there, that have proved to be really reliable. But, Babe don't snub the advise of Chescat, somehow she seems to be in the know, more than not.:blush: :tink:

BrerGnat
02-25-2007, 08:23 PM
I am counting on, not only an early soft opening, but AP previews as well. In the past 6 years that I have been an AP holder, they have always offered AP previews for new attractions WELL before the "official opening".

I really hope so, since we are probably moving over to the East Coast in June and I really want my kids to get a chance to ride it before we go.

Carol
02-26-2007, 07:20 AM
If I had more time, I would go and and get the info myself and post. Actually that is what is advised.

Links and continual referrals elsewhere are not allowed on INTERCOT - as per our Terms of Service.

Thanks. :)

*tinker_belle*
02-26-2007, 11:52 AM
AP's get a sneak peak of the ride before it opens? Is this only premium and deluxe passholders because that wouldn't be us.:(

BrerGnat
02-26-2007, 12:37 PM
AP's get a sneak peak of the ride before it opens? Is this only premium and deluxe passholders because that wouldn't be us.:(

Um, yeah, usually they do AP previews, but ONLY on selected dates. We usually either get a mailer with an "invitation" (it just tells you which dates they are holding the previews) or we get an email linking us to the info on the AP page of the Disneyland.com site. These previews always take place on weekdays, though. This is the main reason I have not been able to go to one (DH works and I have 2 kids under 3, so going alone is NOT an option).

In the past, they had AP previews for A Bug's Land, Monster's Inc, and Tower of Terror at DCA. I expect them to do the same for the new submarine ride, especially since they devoted a whole page of the most recent AP newsletter to this ride.

I believe ALL AP holders can attend the AP previews. I have never seen mention that only Deluxe and Premium AP holders can attend.

Disney Babe
02-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Actually that is what is advised.

Links and continual referrals elsewhere are not allowed on INTERCOT - as per our Terms of Service.

Thanks. :)

Sorry, I wasn't aware I had crossed the line. When I post information is there a correct way to let everyone know the source is reliable? I am wondering if I pass on information do I quote the source? I don't want someone to think I am making up something.

Carol
02-27-2007, 08:00 AM
When I post information is there a correct way to let everyone know the source is reliable? We prefer the information passed on comes directly from Disney - therefore we are sure the details are reliable.

We don't tout other web sites.

MDinPA
02-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I don't think I have looked forward to an attraction opening this much since Indiana Jones!!!

WOO HOO!!

Carol
02-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Is this not the cutest logo? :nemo:

NotaGeek
02-27-2007, 07:05 PM
OMG too cute! I can't wait!

Melanie
03-05-2007, 09:56 PM
My understanding from a very reliable source is that a soft opening will be very limited (short run), and that AP previews (also just a few days) will be done differently than they've been done in the past, due to the limited capacity of the ride. Possibly a lottery of some sort.

BrerGnat
03-07-2007, 12:36 PM
...due to the limited capacity of the ride..

Oh no...so I assume this means there will also be no FP for this ride and LOOOOOONG lines, huh?

Great...looks like it may be awhile before I get to experience this attraction (a 2 year old and 1 year old are NOT known for their patience in line). ;)

NotaGeek
03-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Oh no...so I assume this means there will also be no FP for this ride and LOOOOOONG lines, huh?

Great...looks like it may be awhile before I get to experience this attraction (a 2 year old and 1 year old are NOT known for their patience in line). ;)

You got it. There are not going to be Fast Passes on Nemo. LONG lines in the hot summer sun are a definite!

*tinker_belle*
03-08-2007, 01:05 PM
And i'm assuming that if there are AP previews, they are probably for Premium passholders right?
I always get the short end of the stick.:D

Woohoo
03-17-2007, 02:32 PM
June 11th! That is so cool! That is exactly the time I will be there.

I'm not a Finding Nemo fan myself, but to have something in that lagoon now, coupled with the monorail is pretty exciting!

This also sounds like it will be pretty cool for a slow ride.:thumbsup:

Woohoo
03-17-2007, 11:24 PM
This Finding Nemo ride is one that I fear that I will not ride this June. Check out this article about the enormous crowds it will probably draw in.

[ edited per TOS. Please review.}

LibertyTreeGal
03-18-2007, 10:36 AM
We got lucky enough to be there for a soft opening on Expedition Everest 2 months before they opened it -- is it too much to pray that next week we will get to have a soft opening on Nemo??

Probably :cool:

Chescat
03-20-2007, 08:07 PM
My understanding from a very reliable source is that a soft opening will be very limited (short run), and that AP previews (also just a few days) will be done differently than they've been done in the past, due to the limited capacity of the ride. Possibly a lottery of some sort.
They may handle this, the same way they did the AP preview for Tower of Terror. On a certain date we all quickly logged into the disney website. We were given a choice of date and time out of three days. Then you printed out your reservation and took it there. You had to be there a certain amount of time ahead.

Unfortunate part was I got sick the night before Tower of Terror so didn't get to go on it until a few months later. :(

Chescat
03-20-2007, 09:30 PM
And i'm assuming that if there are AP previews, they are probably for Premium passholders right?
I always get the short end of the stick.:D
I have never seen an AP preview or event in the park that was limited only to Premium passholders. Even the AP pins do not differentiate. Only thing I have seen is the food & merchandinse discounts, which as a Disney Credit Card holder I get also for the merchandise. Now the meals I think is a different story. More discounts there. :blush:

Woohoo
03-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Since my link got removed (b/c I'm a troublemaker:secret: ) I'll try to give you the key points.

They are in a rush to get this open by June 11th, so it seems like there will only be two days for cast member previews and only two days for AP previews, and maybe a day or two for a general soft opening before the 11th. With 650,000 AP-holders and a capacity of 1,000 riders/hour, this will be a nightmare for a while! (I guess not all the million dreams are happy, lol). But I guess the people will be happy that do get to ride it.:mickey:

Chescat
03-21-2007, 02:51 AM
Another thing to consider though is, most LA school kids (not college) are still in school until end of that week. So locals wouldn't be off yet. My thought is the passholder days would be on June 7th & 8th, Cast Members prior to that. And the public soft opening on Sat & Sun (9th & 10th). Pirates I believe officially opened on a Monday also, soft opening on Sunday after the premiere on Saturday.

Normally the parks aren't open late during the week until after the Grad Nights are done (on Thurs' & Fri's), which should be around June 15th.

Also add to all this Pirate Island opening about the time of the movie. :secret:

But I still believe they will have that sign up again. Not all passholders got in for the AP Tower of Terror. Course they could for go the AP days, Pirates re-open and Monsters Inc didn't have a AP days.

Woohoo
03-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, I guess that will help me for going the week before, but this will probably be a really busy ride all summer. Scratch that; it will probably be very busy for much longer than that if the ride is as good as we hope.

*tinker_belle*
03-23-2007, 03:20 PM
So if we're looking at this correctly, AP's could preview right before my birthday?? :party: My birthday is the 9th and we were planning on a trip for that day anyway but i wouldn't mind one or two days prior to ride Nemo!!

Bethanymouse
03-23-2007, 04:28 PM
I just saw the advertising for this on the Disney planning dvd yesterday! I looks like a lot of fun. Someday we will get there to check it out!:)

wendybird
03-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Glad you mentioned Indiana Jones. We caught several soft openings of this ride in the few weeks before it was scheduled to open. We go often and it was hit or miss. Some times you would just walk by and it was open and you walked right on! I plan on checking a few weeks prior to the subs scheduled date and hoping to catch a soft opening or two!!