PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Spa

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
01-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't know if this is the right location for this but here it goes......

I am going in September for my Honeymoon and would like to get a massage or two. I was looking into the different Spa's. There isn't a lot of information online so I thought I would ask people's opinions.

I am staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and would like to go to that spa for ease. However if one of the other spa's is MUCH better or people don't think the AKL Spa is all that great please let me know.

The prices are steap so if it is not a good massage (which i'm sure it is, b/c Disney wouldn't cheap out on something like that, or anything for that matter) please let me know.

Looking forward to opinions. Thanks!!

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
01-24-2007, 12:31 PM
I know this didn't get any hits when i originally posted this but I have found on this site that it all depends on the day, you may get many hits or none. So I thought I would bring this up to the front and try a 2nd time because it is information I am really wondering about. Thanks!! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
01-24-2007, 01:08 PM
The AKL has a spa? Or, just in room massage? I don't think they have a full service spa.

I have heard wonderful things about the Spa at the Saratoga Springs Resort.

I personally went to the GF Spa for a massage and manicure the day before my wedding. I was pleased with the manicure...the massage left a bit to be desired. I also felt the staff to be a bit snooty with us. This was back in 2001, so that may have changed. However, I would try the Saratoga Springs Spa before returning to the GF Spa again.

As for getting a massage (anywhere, for that matter), you need to make sure you get the right TYPE of massage for what you need. If you really want someone to work out some major kinks/tension, then you need to go for a deep tissue or swedish massage. There are massages that have a very light touch and are meant for relaxation, but don't really help with muscle soreness/tension. I think that is what happened to me at the GF spa. I got a massage that was not strong enough, and I left feeling dissatisfied. What I needed was a deep tissue massage, but at the time, I didn't know better. Make sure you really study the massage menu, and if you have any questions, ask when you are booking. Explain what you need and ask for a recommendation from them.

Also be aware, gratuities are not included in the prices you see, and a 20% gratuity is standard.

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
01-26-2007, 10:50 AM
There is indeed a Spa at Animal Kingdom at least that is what their website says and INTERCOT's as well. I just don't know how extensive it is.

Thank you for the advice about GF Spa and SS Spa. I will defiantely do SS if I do one that is outside of our resort. I appreciate the recommendation because I was thinking about GF.

Keep the tips coming!!! Thanks!

WheresWalt
01-26-2007, 07:49 PM
I saw the in room advert for the spa this last trip a week ago. I am a spa junkie and was intreged but never had a chance to ask concierge as our trip was short and I didn't have time for a spa trip anyway. I know the fitness center is super nice but had no clue they offered spa treatments outside of your room.

If you find anything out abt it, definately post. We LOVE AKL. I can only imagine how nice a Disney style spa at AKL would be. :mickey:

McGoofy
01-27-2007, 05:13 AM
Ok...it appears that I'm the first "experienced" AKL spa user to post. My DH arranged a massage for me at AKL for a birthday present about 3 years ago. Since it has been a while, I really don't remember how extensive the spa was, but I do remember that they offered a lot. I was originally going to get a deep tissue massage, but the lady talked me out of it because she said it might hurt too much. I then just went with a regular one hour body massage. She did a great job. It was so relaxing. I also remember it was about $100 plus tip. The spa is in the same area as the fitness center. You check in at the fitness center desk and then they walk you back to the spa area. I was very pleased and would love to do it again!!

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
03-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Thank you McGoofy, finally someone that has used it before. I feel better about that now! Thanks for the info

liz
03-21-2007, 02:03 PM
The Zahanati Fitness Center at AKL offers an array of spa treatments (facials; massage; wraps) The costs of the treaments are about 18&#37; less than at the true Spas (no lounge to relax in, no beverages) The treatment rooms are newer and nicer IMO than at the GF, although the GF Spa has recently had a "face lift"; If you are staying at AKL I highly recommend having your massage there. Transportation to and from a separate spa can cause stress and takes a much bigger chunk out of your day. Enjoy your resort and have your massage there!
*Look up relaxedyet.com and click on Fitness Centers and then AKL for more info!

Tink<3Mickey<3Cinderella
03-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the great website!!!!

tinkmommy
03-27-2007, 09:19 PM
I had a one hour massage at AKL last year and it was wonderful. You have no need to worry about the quality of the service. And I have found from past experience at Disney and non Disney massage locations, once you get into the massage room, they are all basically the same. The are small and dimly lit....so don't let youself think that there is a difference in ambiance...especially because your eyes are closed the entire time. Just go and enjoy yourself.

TammiMcMan
03-27-2007, 10:20 PM
AKL definitely has a spa, but it's limited. The GF and SSR both offer full service spa's, with a private mens lounge and a private womens lounge. If you want an over the top spa experience though, I'd have to suggest the Mandara Spa at the Dolphin resort. You can check it out here, http://www.swandolphin.com/activities/spa.html . I would plan on spending a half day and definitely wouldn't mind going a little bit out of my way for this luxury.

Cinderelley
03-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Although your individual massage therapist will determine how good your massage is, I would also have to recommend SSR over GF if you don't get it done at AKL. I wasn't impressed with GF's staff, but SSR's staff was very good. When you call to make your reservation, ask them for recommendations of therapists who are good at the specific type of massage you want.