PDA

View Full Version : Pal Mickey Updates?

Lehman Family
01-22-2007, 10:40 AM
We had been looking at getting a PAL Mickey and wondered if he could be used for multiple visits. I know we are allowed to take it into the parks when we return again, but will he need any updates for any chages that have been made? If so where would you get them and how would you update him. The only other thing I can think of is that it works off some sort of wireless configuration and that he just picks up the information wherever he gets a signal. Anyway, just wanted to know since we didn't get him the first few trips because of the price. :mickey:

Figment!
01-22-2007, 10:52 AM
They are not upgradable with new phrases.

The phrases and such are stored on the actual hardware of the doll. Currently the only way to get a new hardware is to buy the latest Pal Mickey version.

Older versions are able to know various operational and time related updates, for example if say the 3:00 parade would be changed to 3:30 an "older" version could notify you of the time change. ( of course that is a rather unlikley example ;) )

Even by the end of the Year of A Million Dreams, the original (version 1.0 of 3.0) Pal Mickey will only have something on the order of 5% outdated information.

Celestria
01-22-2007, 09:55 PM
now wait a minute. i've gotten mine updated. i went to main street where they sell the pal mickeys and they updated mine.

Figment!
01-23-2007, 12:04 AM
now wait a minute. i've gotten mine updated. i went to main street where they sell the pal mickeys and they updated mine.Locations that sell Pal Mickey's can do a what they call a "memory update", but this reportedly only re-sets some of the triggers at most. At most this can make Pal Mickey say different words to certain sensors, but it can not make him say in new words.

Due to the limits of infrared technology, only triggers are sent by the sensors (think of them like numbers). Those numbers correspond to a saying embedded on Pal Mickey's hardware.

For example if Pal Mickey knows the word "Show" (but not "Everest" ) and he is originally programed to say "show" to to Trigger 10. The afore mentioned update could make him say "Show" to Trigger 10 and 11, but not say a "Everest" to Trigger 10.

Barring changing out the whole hardware of the Pal Mickey, there is not a way for him to learn new words--and officially Disney does not offer such a replacement service.

I can not account for the claims or actions by individual Cast Members, I can share what has been reported by people very familiar with the product and what I have read from reports on the same technology used in the product. :)

Celestria
01-23-2007, 08:16 PM
ok, ok, so i didn't know what i was talking about. oh well.. i STILL want to move to imagination island and become Figment's apprentice.

DizneyRox
01-24-2007, 07:19 AM
And so we're clear, Pal Mickey doesn't have a hard drive. Everything is stored on chips. Some of those are rewritable (like a memory card in a camera) but there are no hard drives or other moving parts, except for a few buttons.

Tami
02-06-2007, 10:21 AM
Where can I get my Mickey updated? I bought him last Jan 06. Will he be more informative if we have him updated? We will be at WDW on Thursday and are going to MGM first. Thanks!

like2workout
04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
does pal mickey let you know when different characters are out and about in the parks and the locations?

caryrae
04-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Would be cool if they could make Pal Mickeys upgradeable at home. It could have a USB port on the Mickey and you can download new software/firmware on the Disney website. Then you can just plug in to your computer and upgarde it with new sayings, new ride info, ect. Maybe someday they will do this.