PDA

View Full Version : September for free dining or November?

mickey-mouse35
01-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Which is better, going in late September to take advantage of free dining, or in early November, when weather and crowds are better? It's just DH and me going for 8 days--prefer moderate or deluxe--not value room. We love food and would think the food and wine festival :wine: and free dining :chef: (if offered again) would be awesome, but I don't want to deal with huge crowds or heat/humidty--have enough of that at home in Texas. :D

Strmchsr
01-18-2007, 07:51 PM
:welcome: to Intercot!!

I wouldn't count on them doing the free dining as a general offer again. They seem to be doing it for special things only (like if you were there in December and booked your next trip before you left). From what you described, I would say go for the F&WF in early November. The crowds are not bad in September. The free dining makes trying to eat a madhouse as basically everyone in the park is eating in the TS restaurants, but the lines aren't too bad. However, the heat and humidity are awful and September is peak hurricane season. November is a good bit cooler and the crowds still aren't bad, with the exception of MGM during Soap Weekend.

If you want a deluxe, go for it, but if you would prefer a moderate Port Orleans French Quarter is great for couples. Very romantic and you can get beignets!

MinnieMommie
01-18-2007, 08:48 PM
I definately agree with Strmchsr. Go for early November. You can get the F&W festival with better weather and less crowds. The delux resorts are great but if you want to go moderate try POFQ. Beautiful grounds, peaceful hot tub, carriage rides and a boat excursion to DD. :mickey:

WDW5150
01-19-2007, 12:46 AM
Last year we missed the free Dining September/Early October by 2 weeks. A few weeks before we left, they offered a discount for MYW packages with dining. The room discount for a Moderate was more than the free dining for 2 adults so it worked out better for us. There are usually room discount for the 2nd week in October-the week before Thanksgiving. Book with Magical Journeys and they will apply the discount if it becomes avaliable and you won't even have to worry about it.

Raye3201
01-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Food and Wine Festival, hands down. We were there for it last year and just loved it. You could stay at one of the Epcot resorts like the Yacht Club and walk to Epcot in 5 minutes. :mickey:

threeh
01-19-2007, 06:36 PM
I would also check when value season ends. I think it is Oct 4th so that may make a difference in your price. I'm not sure what season November is, but just some food for thought.

Happy planning!!! :mickey:

EpcotNut
01-22-2007, 08:37 AM
If they were to offer free dining again my reccomendation woudl be to take it! We saved literally hundreds of dollars on our trip in Sept 06. As far as it being hot/humid...well that's pretty much what you're going to get. I would aslo say that as far as the crowds during this time were among the lightest Ive ever seen. Whatever you decide - enjoy!!

mickey-mouse35
01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks everyone! Looks like free dining won't happen, so now it's deciding between anytime in October or early November. What is the weather differences between October and November in Orlando? We've gone first week of December past two times, and the days were awesome, but it got really cold at night (40s with nippy wind). If I wait until November to beat the fall break crowds, is it getting too chilly? Decisions, decisions... :D

mickey-mouse35
04-16-2007, 04:33 PM
OK, right now I'm booked Oct. 20-30, with first couple days at Universal and then rest at Disney. I've been reading trip reports from past two years, and it appears that it is still very crowded and very hot during this time. Should I bump my trip a week or two to get into late October/early November instead? Here's what's important for DH and me for trip. THANKS for any opinions/advice!!!

IMPORTANT:
* want low crowds in general
* weather (upper 70s/lower 80s for days; upper 80s is getting too hot; but also don't want to freeze at night like we did in December)
* Food and Wine Festival crowds (festival will be going on whenever we go, but want to go when less crowds or at least less obnoxious crowds :D)
* want to avoid Jersey Week (Nov. 4-10) and Soap Opera Weekend (Nov. 10-11)

NOT A FACTOR:
* we won't be doing the Halloween party
* pools/water parks not an issue

Strmchsr
04-17-2007, 09:47 AM
OK, right now I'm booked Oct. 20-30, with first couple days at Universal and then rest at Disney. I've been reading trip reports from past two years, and it appears that it is still very crowded and very hot during this time. Should I bump my trip a week or two to get into late October/early November instead? Here's what's important for DH and me for trip. THANKS for any opinions/advice!!!

IMPORTANT:
* want low crowds in general
* weather (upper 70s/lower 80s for days; upper 80s is getting too hot; but also don't want to freeze at night like we did in December)
* Food and Wine Festival crowds (festival will be going on whenever we go, but want to go when less crowds or at least less obnoxious crowds :D)
* want to avoid Jersey Week (Nov. 4-10) and Soap Opera Weekend (Nov. 10-11)

NOT A FACTOR:
* we won't be doing the Halloween party
* pools/water parks not an issue

Any time leading up to Halloween is quite crowded at both WDW and Universal. Both parks have very popular Halloween events. You can't miss the crowds entirely, but going to WDW later would reduce the crowds for you. On Soap Weekend, just stay out of MGM and it won't affect you. But, the first week of November is quite nice in terms of crowds and (usually) weather.

mickey-mouse35
04-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks, Chris. So do you think Oct. 27-Nov. 6 is OK, or should I do Oct. 31-Nov. 10? Which is worse, those couple of days leading up to Halloween or Jersey Week (first week of November) as far as crowds?

A third, but distant, option is to go Nov. 10-20, but then I'm really worrying if it's getting too cool. My DH made it quite clear he didn't want to go when it's cold again, since we've only been in January and early December the past three trips, and it was cold at night.

Thanks again! :)

Strmchsr
04-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks, Chris. So do you think Oct. 27-Nov. 6 is OK, or should I do Oct. 31-Nov. 10? Which is worse, those couple of days leading up to Halloween or Jersey Week (first week of November) as far as crowds?
Thanks again! :)

I haven't been during Jersey Week, but some of my friends who have said it really wasn't that big of a deal. Crowd levels were still very manageable. I think either of those dates would be okay. The big thing is if you picked the earlier dates, try not to do too much MK time until after the 31st. The good thing about hitting the date through Nov 10 is that Osborne Lights start around Nov 8. The dates you mentioned later in the month would be a hit and miss proposition. It could be warm and sunny with highs around 80 or it could be cold and rainy and in the 50s. Once you go past mid November weather becomes very iffy.