PDA

View Full Version : HUGE WDW Fan. Will Disneyland disappoint?

JRock0114
01-18-2007, 09:00 AM
I will be visiting Disneyland and California Adventures for the first time ever in March. My girlfriend and I are from TN and we visit Disney World in Orlando at least once a year. We love all 4 of the parks and everything Disney in Orlando. We have always wanted to visit southern California and this year we are getting our chance. Will we be let down by Disneyland and California adventures as compared to our experiences with WDW?

Carol
01-18-2007, 09:14 AM
First of all - you shouldn't compare. Disneyland is Disneyland. It's Walt's original park. If you go in with that in mind - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

We are huge fans of Walt Disney World - so much so we bought into the Vacation Club. I went to Disneyland for the first time in November. I was blown away! If they could move Epcot to California - I don't think I'd return to Florida. The lack of humidity alone would sway me. :thumbsup:

The attractions and entertainment at Disneyland are amazing - so much better than Magic Kingdom! Go in with a clean slate and you'll have a blast.

I had such a wonderful time we're returning this summer instead of going to WDW. :cool:

MidnTPK
01-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Not at all.

While WDW has extraordinary scale in the size of the resort, I must say that the Disneyland park is awesome.

I visited the DLR in March of 2006 for the first time. I'd been to WDW 5+ times in the past few years, and I had concerns similar to yours. But the two resort areas are different enough to not be exactly comparable.

But when comparing the WDW Magic Kingdom to Disneyland Park,you might actually end up liking Disneyland more. Here's why: all of the attractions in DL are either equal to or better than their counterparts at WDW. Small World, Peter Pan, and POTC are much longer rides in DL. Add to that there are more attractions in DL and you'll actually be a little disappointed in WDW's Magic Kingdom. Space Mountain and Indian Jones in DL are the two best rides in any theme park anywhere.

WDW makes up for it's shortcoming in scale. DL doesn't have EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach, or Typhoon Lagoon. So you'll be pleasantly surprised when you're done -- you'll want to keep going back to both.

susy the groomer
01-18-2007, 10:06 AM
I like DL better but as it's been said, you can't really compair them. I go for the rides and there are more
rides is a smaller area. Even thought there are 2 parks their proximity to each other is such that you can go
back and forth at will. CA is a great park and Screamin' is a great coaster. I like our versions of the rides better, too. You will have a blast, don't worry. :mjump:

terri.m
01-18-2007, 10:07 AM
Not at all!!! I've been to DLR around 15 times over the years and just made our first trip to WDW in Sept.

With Disneyland, you're not immersed in Disney 24/7 like if you stay onsite at WDW. But the park is so amazing, you just get this feeling of Walt's presence everywhere, especially if you've watched all the shows when he built DLR. Just knowing he built it himself and walked the streets there gives you a feeling i can't describe unless you're a total disney fan, which we all are or we wouldn't be here!!

New Orleans Square is my favorite land of them all. The disney gallery is so beautiful and knowing it's history makes it that much more special. Plus some of the rides just seem a bit better at DLR, I found Pirates and Peter Pan to be that way.

California Adventure doesn't "scream" disney as much as DLR but having gone to WDW many times, you probably wouldn't notice it as much as if DLR was the only park you've ever been to. I think TOT was scarier there and California Screamin' is an awesome ride!!

One thing I really enjoy about DLR over WDW is not having the stress of where to eat! Plus there are churros everywhere, they were hard to find at WDW.

Enjoy your trip!!! :mickey:

ChipDale
01-18-2007, 11:19 AM
One thing I can't stand is when people compare Disneyland to Walt Disney World and all they have to say is, "it's so small! Other than comparing the two Magic Kingdoms - it's very different!

Disneyland Park has a much more detailed, intimate feeling than the Magic Kingdom in WDW. Walt's presence is everywhere and just knowing the history of the place makes it special.

If you stay at one of the three Disneyland Resort hotels, you do get that "Disney feeling" around the clock. One of the really nice things is you don't have to take any transportation to get around.

The entertainment at the Resort is fantastic. That may be because it's in Southern California and the talent pool out there is endless, but they really do pull in the brightest and best.

The Cast Members are wonderful too. Every trip we look forward to seeing our favorites as we have over the past 10 years or so. :)

We vacationed at WDW for years before trying Disneyland. Now it is our Number One vacation desination. :mickey:

Have a great time - it really is a special place. :)

Goofyjrzgrl
01-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Just go and keep in mind it was Walt's original dream. There are many aspects of Disneyland that you can't find in Disneyworld..and vice versa.

We are bringing my father for his big 6-0 birthday this summer and we were a little nervous about being dissapointed after all our trips to Fla. but we are looking at it as a new experience because of all the new things in Cali-- just try to remember you are experiencing new things that you couldn't find in DIsneyworld.

Have a great time!! Looking forward to your trip report when you return!

Melanie
01-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Don't compare!

And have fun! :mjump:

Disney Babe
01-18-2007, 07:58 PM
I am a huge Disneyland fan. I haven't even been to DCA, let alone WDW. For me Disneyland is IT! Of course the fact that I was born in 1954 (hense the name Disney Babe), a year before the park openned, and grew up watching Walt and all those shows about Disneyland may have something to do with my love of Disneyland. :tink:

Disneyland has always been a part of my life. From days spent there with my family as a youngster, to going there on dates and getting together with co-workers, to going with my sister and her kids and then going with her kids when they were no longer kids! I have made it a point to visit Disneyland at least once a year in the summer. So I am well into double digits with my visits.

I have heard it said that being in WDW gives you the feeling you are a tourist among other tourists, but being in Disneyland is more like enjoying the park with locals and gives you more of a home town feeling.:wave:

I agree with everything that everyone has said so far. You may, however, want to be prepared for the ride closures that are going to occur in March. Don't be disappointed if you find you cannot go on some rides or see Fantasmic. If that really bums you out, think about changing your plans.

JRock0114
01-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Does anyone know what will be closed down during March? We will be there the week of March 18th.

Thanks for the great feedback so far.......keep it coming.

tinkwest
01-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Does anyone know what will be closed down during March? We will be there the week of March 18th.

As of now, Tom Sawyer Island, Splash Mountain, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, the Disneyland Railroad, & Fantasmic! are set to be down at Disneyland during your stay. But keep checking because refurbishment schedules change on a regular basis.

autumn
01-19-2007, 12:47 PM
i grew up going to wdw (about 20 times), and then i moved to LA. now i have an annual pass to dl, and i go about once a week. i love it.

it is different, though. it feels familiar but different, maybe like seeing an old friend that you haven't seen since you were a kid - they have the same essence, but they are a little different.

there are some things that are noticeably not as cool - the castle is almost laughable upon first sight, if you're used to seeing the wdw castle. i have come to see it as sweet and cute. it's like, "aw, a little castle."

also, the food isn't as good in dl, and it's much more expensive. i was just back at wdw last month, and the same premium mickey ice cream bar was $2.50 in wdw and $4.00 in dl.

and, the whole place is a lot smaller, crammed in the middle of a city, so there's less of an "away from it all" feel. for me, i don't get the same feeling as i do at wdw, but the feeling i do get is still really cool. i would echo the magical "walt vibes" that others describe.

some rides are better at dl, like peter pan, space mountain, the tiki room, and pirates, but some not as good/developed, like splash mountain, snow white, winnie the pooh, and jungle cruise. tomorrowland overall is fairly lame. it's kind of a hodge podge.

someone else posted about the local feel. i strongly agree, and i love that a lot. you can tell that area residents really love the park and are proud of it. there are fewer people on vacation, which makes it feel a little more like the "real world." also, because of its location in the city and the lack of tunnels, the castmembers are a lot more visible, which, for me, takes away some of the magic. when you go home, you see them standing at the city bus stop in their costumes. weird.

disneyland must-dos: the above-mentioned rides, disney gallery, the first 50 years movie, indiana jones, a walk-though of the grand californian hotel, monsters, inc. in california adventure.

have a super fun trip!

Disney Babe
01-19-2007, 06:57 PM
On the subject of ride closures for your planned dates at Disneyland, there were many rumors from reliable sources that Pirates would close to install additions. But that has been changed, and according to those same reliable sources DL wants to concentrate on the Tom Sawyer project and so Pirates should remain open in March - unless things change again! Keep checking! :mickey:

Crow
01-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Im contemplating my first visit there, after 14 trips to WDW...would love the history...its further away so longer flight which would cost more...but also would love to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong..
DL is quicker to go thru than WDW it would seem, so it may b a good choice if I dont have as much time off.
havent been visiting the DL boards but will be to learn more about it

DVCWDWMEMBER
01-20-2007, 08:52 AM
We are also huge WDW fans but are HUGE DL fans as well. Please do not compare the parks. WDW is sooo much bigger and there is sooo much more to do. Having said that please take in DL completely.
I have said before I actually prefer DL over WDW.
The fact that Walt himself had a hand in Disneyland and that he personally walked the streets of the MK for me is enough. DL has a much more cozier feel to the park than the MK at WDW does.
Enjoy it :mickey:

N.W.Girl
01-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Ive been to both but I look at the whole picture. I go for the other places as well. Florida seems to be bigger in every aspect...WDW,Universal ,beaches driving to the Keys etc
I go to Disneyland thinking Hollywood ( stay at the Roosevelt Hotel) ,Huntington Beach,Long Beach maybe even San Diego if I have the time. Do you know you can stay at the Queen Mary, Go to the Aquarium, eat downtown,jump on the metrorail go to Hollywood and/or keep on going and you end up at Universal studios?
I could go on and on so like I said I look at the whole picture.
Another thing good about Disney, altho I love traveling all around WDW resorts and stuff but at DL 5mins and your at your destination, leaving you with more time for rides. :fworks:

Disney Babe
01-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Im contemplating my first visit there, after 14 trips to WDW...would love the history...its further away so longer flight which would cost more...but also would love to go to Tokyo or Hong Kong..
DL is quicker to go thru than WDW it would seem, so it may b a good choice if I dont have as much time off.
havent been visiting the DL boards but will be to learn more about it

Yesterland is a pretty cool site to look at and see what used to be at DL and how things have changed over the years.

[Link removed per INTERCOT's Terms of Service - please review]

LibertyTreeGal
01-23-2007, 09:35 AM
I haven't been since 1998 to DL but went to WDW for the first time in 2004 (and now I'm going back for my third time in November). If anything, MK disappointed me (kinda, but only in comparison -- how could I really be disappointed with WDW??).

POTC is WAY better at DL, so is HM, and autopia. I also like their fantasyland and toontown much better. No comparison. That being said, as a whole enchilada type of thing, WDW is a better vacation destination with all the restaurants and being secluded and all that, but DL is nicer than MK, more magical :mickey:

*tinker_belle*
01-23-2007, 03:35 PM
For me, i grew up in San Diego and have gone to DL my whole life. We never had enough money to take a Disney trip to Florida, and my parents were never too wild about DL except when i was little.
So in 2002 i went to Florida for cheerleading and ended up going to a few of the parks at WDW.
The 2 parks are very different but also very similar. I would describe WDW as very overwhelming if you've only ever been to DL which is small and intimate.
I personally favor DL. WDW was much too big and different for me. I'm someone not used to change but who welcomes new things.
I like how everything at DLR is in walking distance. At WDW you have to take like 3 shuttles, trams, boats, monrails...etc just to get to one place. There are so so many forms of transportation. I was literally lost.
Not saying that i wouldn't want to go back to WDW and just be able to take time on everything and take it in for what it is. I plan on doing that someday.
But for now, i am content with being a DL girl through and through. This year i'm hoping to get an AP!!

jkj1224
01-23-2007, 04:49 PM
It's so strange but even though WDW and DL are technically the same, they are very different. I've never been able to really choose a "favorite" it's like picking which child you like more, having said that...

POTC is definately better at DL, and the whole port orleans area is great. Does anyone know if they still throw mardi gras beads from the balconies?

2Epcot
01-24-2007, 12:18 AM
You will not be dissapointed making a trip to Disneyland. I enjoy going to Florida, but I love all my trips to Disneyland too. Each resort is unique, as well as very similar. You will have a great time. :mickey:

tinkwest
01-24-2007, 04:49 AM
Does anyone know if they still throw mardi gras beads from the balconies?

On occasion, but you never know when. So if you get some it is because you happened to be lucky enough to be in New Orleans Square at the right time.

Disney Babe
01-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Does anyone know if they still throw mardi gras beads from the balconies?

I got my beads about 3 years ago by just walking up to one of the Royal Street Bachelors. After they finished their set, the guitarist was handing them out to a few kids and a line developed. So I got in line before he ran out. Easy as pie!

The lastest thing to happen on the balconies over NOS is a pirate goes up on the balcony and stirs up the crowd to become pirates and gets everyone to repeat a pirate oath. Don't know if that is still going on or if it was a summer thing.

ChipnDaleGal
01-25-2007, 09:13 AM
I am a huge fan of WDW and have been going at least once a year since 1996. This past November I took my first extensive trip to Disneyland (I had been twice before just for Day Trips many years ago) and words fail me when attempting to say how much I fell in love with the place. The main thing is that they are both wonderful and amazing in their own right. No need to compare them in an effort to determine which is better. They are are both worthy of a visit and they generate very different feelings from the experience. If you go into a Disneyland first time trip with an open mind I think you will enjoy yourself very much! :mickey:

Mary M
01-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Just don't expect things to be in the same place! Sometimes they're similar enough to throw you. When I went to DL after years of WDW, I walked right past Space Mountain while trying to go to Space Mountain!

misty2
01-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to the boards! We live in NorCal and have been to DL many times, and WDW twice. One thing I wanted to add - it is great to be able to walk across the esplanade to park hop! DL getting crowded - just walk over to DCA. It is also nice to be able to walk right into downtown Disney. :)

Melanie
01-26-2007, 07:53 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT, misty2!!

We're glad to have you here. :wave:

misty2
01-27-2007, 02:55 AM
Wow :jaw: Thank you for the welcome!

MDinPA
02-28-2007, 11:41 AM
As others have said, you can't compare.

Disneyland to me is filled with memories and history that WDW just doesn't have.

Disneyland is quaint, WDW is garish.

Disneyland is relaxed, WDW is hectic.

Disneyland is home, WDW is a tourist trap.

I enjoy WDW but I have to be in the mindset of go-go-go.

JMHO.

battle beast
03-25-2007, 01:36 AM
Pirates is definatly better at Disneyland. No question. You also have the MAtterhorn bobsleds, longer Peter Pan flight and IASW, the Storyland Canal boat and Indiana Jones.

Another plus is that there are Fast Food places right outside the park, so you don't have to eat Disney food, you can get cheaper or what ever you want. (My pick is the pizza place on the corner of Harbor and Katela. The 2nd best I've ever had.)

Plus, you could go tho the Blue Bayou, for a GREAT Monte Cristo.

I happen to think that while DL is smaller, many of the rides are better. :confused:

But you definatly can't compare the two kingdoms.

brownie
03-30-2007, 07:35 AM
I'm glad to see this thread. We'll be making our first trip to DLR this June. I'm looking forward to "walking in Walt's footsteps" and seeing the differences between the "shared" attractions.

Splash_Lover
03-30-2007, 10:10 PM
Man it feels like I've been gone from the boards forever but has only been a few months and glad to be back.
Can we please stop comparing the two resorts and trying to justify one over another. If you love Disney you will love both parks in a way only you can discover once you've been there. They both rock in different ways. Dlr has such wonderful history that can never be denied. WDW has the benefit of having learned from DLR and planning for expansion so that it can grow with the dream. Walt would have loved both and we should too. You just cannot compare the two by comparing the Magic Kingdom with Disneyland, That is not a fair comparison and never will be. Disneyland is much more than just the sum of its size just as WDW is more than its size makes it. Treasure both for what they are and what they have meant to us and what the future holds for us when we walk through their gates.
by the way no you will not be disappointed and great answers by all to this thread.

Janie
04-13-2007, 06:10 AM
you won't be disappointed ...

they're both fab ... for me the only advantage is getting there ... its easiest for me in the UK to get to Disneyland Paris, that gives me my disney 'fix'

WDW was my first and will always be special and I can fly direct and its only 8/9 hours

disneyland was amazing, so good we went back 3 years on the row, but the lack of direct flights plus the 12 hour flight and the 8 hour time difference make it more of a hassle to get there.

DoomBuggyDude
04-18-2007, 01:25 AM
Our West parking structure is way cooler.

dixielandings
04-23-2007, 01:51 AM
Plus, you could go tho the Blue Bayou, for a GREAT Monte Cristo.

Amen to that!!! I just had one a couple of weeks and made myself miserable but in such a happy way! :mickey:

DisneyDudet
05-02-2007, 05:06 AM
They are both great! I love them for different reasons, but my heart belongs to WDW.

The one major thing I felt was different was the fact that you aren't completely immersed, secluded into Disney. Some don't like that, but I went to WDW 12 times before going to DL. I got used to being All Disney, All The Time. It was hard for me to grasp walking down the street and, bam, So. Cal.

Other than that, it didn't really feel different. It was fun just walking less than 5 min to another park though!

I would go back, and if I could only do Disney for a long weekend, I would most likely pick DL just because you can get to all of it in a few days, when to take a less hurried trip to WDW, you'd have to get 5 days at min (IMHO).

Go, have fun, just remember, getting around inside DL is a whole lot different than the MK... not all roads lead to the same areas!

JRock0114
05-02-2007, 09:12 AM
They are both great! I love them for different reasons, but my heart belongs to WDW.

The one major thing I felt was different was the fact that you aren't completely immersed, secluded into Disney. Some don't like that, but I went to WDW 12 times before going to DL. I got used to being All Disney, All The Time. It was hard for me to grasp walking down the street and, bam, So. Cal.

Other than that, it didn't really feel different. It was fun just walking less than 5 min to another park though!

I would go back, and if I could only do Disney for a long weekend, I would most likely pick DL just because you can get to all of it in a few days, when to take a less hurried trip to WDW, you'd have to get 5 days at min (IMHO).

I completely Agree with you.

I am the one who originally started this thread so I guess it's time for me to chime back in.

We have now returned from our first trip to Disneyland and much of what has been posted we found to be true. There is a different "feel" to the park. It has a warm and personal appeal to it that you do not find in WDW. Both parks were very beautiful and themed very well. Many of you were correct about how much better some of the rides are at Disneyland (Pirates, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, etc..). We did also love being able to walk from park to park.

All that being said.......No, Disneyland does not hold a candle to Disney World in any way. Now I know by me making that statement, some of you just can't wait to hit <respond> and then crush me by saying things like "You don't appreciate what Disney is about......That is the park Walt built with magic......WDW just has more land". Listen, I know all of that stuff and I'm not saying that Disneyland isn't great. I'm just saying that you are correct about not comparing the parks......because there is no comparison in my opinion. To me Disneyland/CA is a great little weekend trip. We did both parks in 2 days with no problem and had time to repeat many things. Downtown Disney is....nice.....but there is not near enough there to plan another day around.

By far the biggest thing that shocked us was how Disneyland is just stuck right in the middle of everything. It blew us away how you could nearly see the entire park from outside of the park. It even made my fiance say this as we were walking in......."Does it not kind of feel like we are walking into a Disney Six Flags?" Now I know I have just sent some of you over the edge.......but it was kind of true. To me, one of the biggest draws to Disney(World) is that it takes you completely out of reality for as long as you like. It is truly amazing. Now I do understand, that's pretty easy to do when you own half of central Florida. The fact is that I never felt removed from "the Real World" while I was in Disneyland and part of the reason is because I could simply look to the right about 100 yards.....and there it was.

One more time......Disneyland offers many many wonderful things (Personality, realistic park hopping, Indy, California Screamin', and the Aladdin show is amazing!). But in my opinion it is not a true "Vacation Get-Away". It is a great weekend trip.

This is simply my opinion and I understand that many of you that post on this board grew up around DL, so I will never change your view of it.....nor would I want to.

Chescat
05-02-2007, 09:03 PM
I enjoy both parks for different reasons. I have a different perspective being a local at DLR. It seems like there are more of us locals going to DLR then locals going to WDW, but I might be wrong.

We just went for a weekend trip and just savor the time there and not feel we have to hit the rides all the time. We hit the canoes with friends and got all wet. Sat and listened to the jazz band and watch Sparrow and the pirates running around. Eat our Mickey Ice Creams or Sundaes on Main Street while the parades go by. Sometimes during the week, just sit there at lunch and listen to the band that play in town square. Hit the fireworks show and watched how they open up the matterhorn to let tinkerbell come out. Finally got in to see the 50th show with Steve Martin. I miss Mr. Lincoln, but was an interesting film. Even stopped at the Downtown Disney movie theater to see Meet the Robinsons in 3D.

If I was a person coming from out of town, I might have a different perspective. I've grown up with this park my whole life so I really can't compare it to WDW which I do enjoy for different reasons. I do like the idea of more parks and wished we had a 3rd gate.

As to the Real World there, I shut it off the minute I get off the tram or walk from Downtown Disney. I think its your own memories of growing up and things you did in the park year after year after year. Grad Nights, high school nights, company nights. Disneyland has always been my safe place and whatever park I'm in, it will always be.

WDWizard
05-02-2007, 10:29 PM
I understand all the good and bad points made. I'm going to DLR this summer and I know that I will love it because I'm a huge Disney fan, I'm just worried that the rest of my family might not like it. I've been visiting WDW every year since I was born, and my mom has been visiting since Magic Kingdom opened in the 70s. While we're at the WDW parks- we are usually 'go, go, go'ing- trying to beat crowds, ride this and make sure to do that, and sometimes it gets too fast paced and stressful and at DLR, its more slow paced, less parks, less attractions to cover. Less parks wont be an issue though- because we want to spend time on other SoCal attractions.

We're also used to being immersed in the world of Disney and getting away from everyday life-- but at Disneyland, the real world is just across the street. Other than that, little things like the smaller castle, smaller Downtown Disney, non-themed hotels, lack of good attractions at DCA. Also, my family is already telling me that its "the same thing" out west- but I know I can prove them wrong on that one.

I know what to expect when going to DLR. I know it's smaller, in the middle of a city, not as big and immersive as WDW, but my family probably expects more after coming to WDW so many times.

mook3y
05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
Amen to that!!! I just had one a couple of weeks and made myself miserable but in such a happy way! :mickey:

Yes. Highly recommend Blue Bayou! Best spot to eat in DLR IMHO.

I might be biased because I grew up by DLR.

But... it "IS" where the magic started! :pixie:

Makes it special... for me anyways.

But then... I doubt I would be dissappointed by any Disney park! Just don't see it happening.:mickey2:

and Welcome to Intercot! Glad to have ya! :welcome:

Disney Babe
05-07-2007, 12:39 AM
As to the Real World there, I shut it off the minute I get off the tram or walk from Downtown Disney. I think its your own memories of growing up and things you did in the park year after year after year. Grad Nights, high school nights, company nights. Disneyland has always been my safe place and whatever park I'm in, it will always be.

My sentiments exactly.

I never thought of the Real World as being just on the other side of the border of the Disneyland. Quite the oppostite. Disneyland proved to me that there was actually such a thing as a magical world just within reach of the real world. I have memories of going down the 91 freeway and my sisters and I challenging each other to see the Matterhorn! Going down Harbor Blvd. to get to Disneyland we would see our first glimpse of the Matterhorn and get really excited. We were just on the other side of a magical world and it wouldn't be long before we would enter it. :tink:

When I was a young adult driving to Disneyland I loved the way I would be driving down Harbor in the far right lane and there would be the old Disneyland sign up ahead and I knew I just had to stay where I was and glide right from the real world of a city street into the magical world of the Disneyland parking lot! I always tried to get there as early as I could (usually I would park in the Flower section) so I could park up close and wouldn't have to take the tram. Just hop out and jog on over to the ticket window where I would hear the music of Zippidee-Doo-Dah and the recorded announcer's voice welcoming me to my "day at the Happiest Place on Earth". I never, ever saw the closeness of the border between the real world and Disneyland is a bad thing! It could only be good.:tink:

Figment78
05-31-2007, 12:46 PM
Even though this thread is sort of old, I had to post a response for people who may come across it while searching for this kind of information in the future, like I did.

JRock - I completely agree with you 100%. We too are WDW veterans and HUGE fans, and we just returned from a weekend in Disneyland, our first visit.

I do not believe I will be returning to DL anytime soon, unless I happen to be in SoCal. As JRock said, the major issue for me was that it was too much in the middle of everything. I love that WDW is a completely escape, you are immersed in Disney from start to finish. That is one of the reasons I prefer WDW. I'm not comparing the individual parks though, because I do feel that DL has a lot to offer in the way of rides. I was blown away by how much better Space Mountain is at DL, but I did not think that any of the other "different" rides were better than at WDW. The lack of humidity was nice, although I was as cold at night in May in DL as I was in Feb in WDW! One really awesome thing about DL was the lack of lines. Although the park feels more crowded because it is smaller, we never waited that long.

It was an almost surreal experience being there - DL is similar enough to Magic Kingdom that if you are intimately familiar with MK, you will automatically feel a bit disoriented when in DL. The outdoor queue for Its a Small World is beautiful, however, and I much prefer it to the one in WDW, even if the ride is so similar.

I hope none of the native DL visitors get mad at me for my opinion, but I did not prefer the "hometown" feeling of DL over the "tourist" feeling of WDW. I was on vacation, not visiting my neighborhood amusement park and I wanted to feel like I was on a vacation! And maybe it was because of this different perspective of the locals, but I found a distinct lack of excitement in the people around me. Like it was nothing special to be in DL. And since everyone reports about the decline of cast member magic in WDW (which I do not agree with), I feel I have to comment that we had several very un-Disneylike customer service while at DL. From the moment we pulled into the Disneyland Hotel to the time we left, we just were not given Disney service. Which really surprised me because I would think that the company would put everyone through the same hiring and training processes. At work I typically cite Disney as an example of excellent customer service and I was disappointed. In fact, I was shocked!

Anyhow, this was just my experience. I am not a Californian or grew up going to DL, so I wanted to give my perspective for the sake of other WDW fans who might be planning a trip to DL. Yes, it is the first park, but I found myself hung up on some of what I imagine Walt felt when he bought the land in WDW (size, interference of the outside world, etc). Here's my bottom line: If I am looking for an entire vacation experience, I will go to WDW. If I have a few days and am near Disneyland it is still a great themepark to visit.

disneylandrea
06-01-2007, 09:24 PM
It's been said but it's well-worth the repetition.
Sure, WDW is much larger in scale.
But it is NOT comparable to DL at all.
at all.
It is Walt's park, you can feel his charm everywhere you turn.
The quality of DL definitely surpasses the size of WDW.

Figment78
06-05-2007, 12:37 PM
I don't think it's fair to claim that only Disneyland is Walt's park. Unless my Disney knowledge fails me, he was very involved in "the Florida Project" before he died.

And as for not comparing the two locations, the original question in this post was intrinsicly a "comparison." It is hard not to compare two vacation experiences, whether it is comparing a Hawaiian beach vacation to a trip to a Vegas Vacation or comparing WDW to DL. I think it is a fair question to compare the two, especially if that's what the poster was asking in the first place. However, I think what most people are trying to say is, 'don't spend time comparing the two parks, just enjoy them both!" and that I have to agree with!

That being said, all of the responses are opinions only and I'm glad we all have different ones because it makes life more interesting and puts more information out there to ponder!