PDA

View Full Version : The Little Mermaid on Broadway Closing Aug 30, 2009

Mr. Brass Bonanza
11-24-2004, 10:50 AM
I don't know if this is old news, but I just found out about it and am very excited. If it's anything like the show at MGM, we're all in for a treat. The latest issue of Disney Magazine has an interview with Alan Menken. He said he's working on additional songs for "The Little Mermaid" Broadway show. No word on when it will debut, but I'm going to do my best to be in the audience when it does.

imported_Melanears
11-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Should be interesting. Here's a recent article I found about this.

New Director and Set Designer Sign On For Broadway's 'Little Mermaid' (http://www.intercot.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/18/4025.html)

By the way, that was a great article on Alan Menken. graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Mr. Brass Bonanza
11-24-2004, 11:40 AM
Oh, cool! I didn't see that post. Thanks, Melanie!

Yes, that Menken article was excellent. I've always loved his work and I'm glad he's back doing Disney music.

Carol
01-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Beauty and the Beast to close; The Little Mermaid to move in
By Amy Somensky
Monsters and Critics
Jan 18, 2007, 5:03 GMT

New York: Disney Theatrical Productions has announced that after thirteen years on Broadway, Beauty and the Beast, will play its final performance at the Lunt-Fontanne Theater on July 29, 2007. Its closure will make way for another Disney musical to move in - The Little Mermaid. The new musical will begin previews at the Lunt-Fontanne on November 3rd and officially open on December 6th. The musical will have a pre-Broadway tryout at the Denver Center Attractions at Ellie Caulkins Opera House beginning July 26th.

“For many theatergoers, Beauty and the Beast has been their first introduction to the magic of Broadway musicals,” producer Thomas Schumacher said. “That’s a wonderful legacy for all of us at Disney Theatrical Productions, and we’re so proud of the show’s record-breaking run on Broadway, throughout the country and around the world. Though the Broadway production is coming to a close, through our relationship with Music Theatre International (MTI), Beauty and the Beast will continue to live on in regional and high school productions around the world.”

“Beauty and the Beast has meant so much to me, both in remembering the joy of creating the animated film and seeing how audiences have embraced it on Broadway for all of these years,” said composer Alan Menken. “I have had the pleasure of watching so many diverse and talented performers sing these roles in the past 13 years. While it saddens me to say goodbye to Beauty and the Beast, I am excited to watch The Little Mermaid take shape as a Broadway musical, and to be a part of its exciting journey to the stage.”

Beauty and the Beast opened at the Palace Theater on April 18, 1994. It transferred to the Lunt-Fontanne on November 11, 1999. At the time of closing it will have played 5,464 performances and will be the sixth longest running show in Broadway history.

The cast of Beauty and the Beast currently includes Deborah Lew as Belle, Steve Blanchard as The Beast, Stephen R. Buntrock as Gaston, John Tartaglia as Lumiere, Jonathan Freeman as Cogsworth, Jeanne Lehmann as Mrs. Potts, Meredith Inglesby as Babette, Mary Stout as Madame de la Grande Bouche, and Aldrin Gonzalez as Lefou. Trevor Braun and Marlon Sherman alternate the role of Chip.

The musical features lyrics by Howard Ashman and Tim Rice, music by Alan Menken, and a book by Linda Woolverton.

Beauty and the Beast is the elaborate stage production of Disney's animated classic that can currently be seen at the Lunt- Fontanne Theater. Belle is a beautiful, misunderstood young woman who falls in love with the deformed beast who has captured her. Little does she know that a spell was cast on him and it can only be broken (and he can return to his true form) if she truly falls in love with him.

PirateLover
01-18-2007, 08:04 AM
A Little Mermaid show would be neat but I'm sad to hear that Beauty and the Beast is closing. That was a truly fantastic show that really lent itself to Broadway.

Melanie
01-18-2007, 08:35 AM
I have a soft spot for this production. Sorry to see it go!

I bet 'The Little Mermaid' is going to be cool though. Look forward to seeing it!

ChipnDaleGal
01-18-2007, 08:38 AM
This news makes me sad. Beauty and the Beast is one of my all time favorite stage productions. I am so glad that my daughter and I had the chance to see it on Braodway this past summer. It was beautiful and amazing. Pretty cool that it will be the 6th longest running musical on Broadway when it finishes it's run. That says a lot about what a great job they did. :thumbsup:

kakn7294
01-18-2007, 08:40 AM
I love the Little Mermaid (I'll bet nobody could guess that!) and will make the trip to see it, but I'm also sorry to see Beauty and the Beast go. I actually have the Denver theater site bookmarked in my favorites so I can see when tickets go on sale for the Little Mermaid production.

GothMickey
01-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Beauty and the Beast was the first Broadway play I ever went to see. Sorry to hear it is closing, but, all good things must come to an end. Hopefully The Little Mermaid will be a great play because nothing, in my opinion, beat Beauty and the Beast. I am glad I have the soundtrack.

Goofyjrzgrl
01-18-2007, 11:39 AM
I haven't had a chance to go see Beauty and the Beast yet, I'll be sad if I don't get to see it before it closes-- I've heard WONDERFUL things about it...

But I AM VERY excited to see Ariel on Broadway, as she is my FAVORITE princess!!

2Epcot
01-18-2007, 01:14 PM
I did not see the show when I was in NY, I ended up seeing several other shows on my last visit. I did catch the traveling show of Beauty & The Beast several years ago. It is a wonderfuly staged show, and it did introduce many to theater for the first time. It will be sad to see if leave Broadway, but all good shows come to an end sometime.

Jacova
01-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Saw this announced in the Times this morning and immediatly got tickets for July. It breaks my heart that this wonderful show is closing (saw it 3 times), but I do think that Disney is doing the right thing. 4 shows on Broadway at one time is more than enough - I just hope that The Little Mermaid is of B&TB quality and not another dud like Tarzan.

Beauty will live on in local productions and on tour.

LittleSpirit02
01-18-2007, 09:25 PM
Where can tickets be purchased? Ticketmaster?

I'm looking forward to the new show, but as mentioned, sad Beauty & the Beast will be leaving.

GenieOfPA
01-18-2007, 09:58 PM
i still have yet to see beauty and the beast on broadway... and i guess now i need to get a move on! although the little mermaid will also be a great show. i could have sworn i saw a commercial on tv the other day that beauty and the beast would be coming to philadelphia, pa for a select amount of shows, but when i went online i couldn't find any word of it...

anyone else live around the philly that knows anything about beauty and the beast coming to our area?

PirateLover
01-19-2007, 12:48 AM
Beauty and the Beast was performed at the Walnut Street Theatre last year. It was a decent production (the Gaston was AWESOME! He's in a lot of local performances but his name escapes me right now.) However no traveling show or local show could ever compare to the Broadway experience. A must-see.

LittleSpirit02
01-19-2007, 08:34 AM
I wonder if they'll keep Beauty & the Beast in MGM or if they'll have a renovation period to do a shortened version of the Little Mermaid there, too. I believe they already have the Little Mermaid somewhere in WDW, though right? So that would either stay with B&tB in MGM, or it would have to replace B&tB and the other LM show would close to make way for something else...I hope that made sense...

DisneyOtaku
01-19-2007, 12:36 PM
B&TB was my first musical--I got to see it in New Orleans years ago for my birthday. It was truely a magical experience for me, as it brought me a love of musicals. I wish there was a way for me to get a tape of the production...

However, I look forward to the Little Mermaid on Broadway. I can't wait!

And yes, there is already a little mermaid stage show in MGM--we never miss it!

BklynChick
01-19-2007, 09:35 PM
So my source at the New Amsterdam Theater last week was nearly spot on...(see my post in the "Mary Poppins on Broadway" thread).

Honestly, I thought they would pull the plug on Tarzan. The fact that Disney Visa is offering discount tickets seemed to be a bad sign (normally, the only thing you get from Disney Visa is pre-sale or $250 VIP seats).

I've seen B&TB three times, so I can't say I'll be overly depressed to see it go.

handmaidenofprincesses
01-25-2007, 10:31 AM
thats not cool!!! I (obviously) adore the little mermaid, but pushing beauty and the beast off of broadway is ridiculous! I love beauty and the beast too! besides, i was told that once little mermaid opens on broadway disney will, in all likelihood, close voyage of the little mermaid at MGM. That's my favorite thing!! I hop thats not true...

bwaydiva
01-26-2007, 04:54 PM
ok... as much as i love beauty and the beast... i think it's time for them to close. they've been on broadway for a while now (1996... i think.) i'm really excited about little mermaid... i just hope the casting is better than tarzan. don't get me wrong... tarzan was ok... not one of disney's greatest shows, but still decent. but beauty will stick with me forever, it was my first broadway show and somewhat the kick that i got to major in theatre in college. not to mention i saw 80's pop singer debbie gibson as belle.

as for "pushing beauty and the beast" to close... i heard a rumor not sure how true it is... but it said that disney wasn't going to bring another show to broadway until one of the other 4 closed. makes sense.

Tick-Tock
02-07-2007, 02:49 PM
We're excited in Denver about the new show. Not only is it doing its pre-Broadway run here, but the star is a local girl (she's finishing up a run as Christine in Phantom in Vegas before she starts as Ariel). One of my co-workers knows her parents, and they're so proud of her!

J9
02-11-2008, 06:20 PM
I saw The Little Mermaid in NYC this weekend - I didnt have high hopes for it after reading some reviews, but i LOVED it!

Sherie Rene Scott as Ursula was amazing! And the new songs they added in were awesome too!

I strongly suggest for anybody heading up to the NY area to get tickets for this show if you can!

ChipnDaleGal
02-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Sherie Rene Scott as Ursula was amazing!

I just love her, so I am very happy to hear that you think she did good as Ursula. Ursula is my favorite Disney Villain and Sherie is my favorite female Broadway singer (I am currently hooked on the cast recording of 5 Years Later with her and Norbert Leo Butz). I would love to see her as Ursula!!

J9
02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
I just love her, so I am very happy to hear that you think she did good as Ursula. Ursula is my favorite Disney Villain and Sherie is my favorite female Broadway singer (I am currently hooked on the cast recording of 5 Years Later with her and Norbert Leo Butz). I would love to see her as Ursula!!

I LOVE her! I had seen her twice before - once in the Ninja Turtles Concert Tour (waaaay waaaay back in the day - she was April) and more recently when Aida first opened. She is absolutely amazing. She pretty much stole the Little Mermaid show. Her new song was AWESOME!!!

(And PS - Norbert Leo Butz's voice just makes me melt. I saw him in Wicked several years ago and feel in love! LOL)

ChipnDaleGal
02-12-2008, 04:52 PM
I LOVE her! I had seen her twice before - once in the Ninja Turtles Concert Tour (waaaay waaaay back in the day - she was April) and more recently when Aida first opened. She is absolutely amazing. She pretty much stole the Little Mermaid show. Her new song was AWESOME!!!

(And PS - Norbert Leo Butz's voice just makes me melt. I saw him in Wicked several years ago and feel in love! LOL)

His voice makes me melt too! Have you heard the cast recording of 5 Years Later? He and Sherie are amazing together. A sad musical, but they both make me so happy when they sing.

BklynChick
02-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Saw the show Tuesday night and LOVED it! We had front row center seats so we were really excited. Sierra Boggess is absolutely the perfect Ariel. I was so impressed by her performance. Sherie Rene Scott was great as well. I can't wait to pick up the cast album when it hits stores on March 11th (I absolutely refuse to buy CDs at the show, they are so overpriced).

Personally, I try not to listen to reviews when it comes to Disney shows, because I know I'm coming from a perspective that the average theater critic just won't come from. Trust me, if you are a Disney fan you will really enjoy this show.

DisneyDudet
02-27-2008, 12:21 AM
I do believe that the official CD of the show was released today. You can get it at Amazon.

It sounds great. I can't wait to see it. We'll probably have to wait until a travel group can start, so everyone can give their reviews, and I'll be super jealous!

J9
02-27-2008, 04:53 PM
I do believe that the official CD of the show was released today. You can get it at Amazon.

And on iTunes for $7.99!!!!

Much much better than the $25 they were charging at the theatre! I'm glad I waited...and the wait was so worth it! This soundtrack is pretty gosh darn awesome!

I really do think that the new songs could easily fit into the original - my favorites are "I Want the Good Times Back", "She's in Love", and "If Only". But all the other newbies are good too! Sherie Rene just shines (but we all knew I thought that already!)

I also like how they really fleshed out Eric's character. You can't really tell from the soundtrack, but they gave personality to Ariel's sisters as well. The only downside is that there is considerably less Flounder in the stage show than in the movie, but with two little kids playing the part I can see why they wouldn't want it to be so overburdensome!

So basically - go buy the cd! You won't be sorry!

Scar
05-12-2008, 09:34 AM
'Little Mermaid' actor injured in fall at Broadway theater

The Associated Press
Published: May 10, 2008

NEW YORK: An actor in "The Little Mermaid" broke his wrists after falling at least 20 feet (6 meters) through a trap door to the stage minutes before the popular Broadway production was set to begin, authorities said.

Adrian Bailey, 51, was unconscious when taken from the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre shortly before 2 p.m. Saturday, the Fire Department said.

The actor is an ensemble member who plays various roles throughout the musical, show spokesman Chris Boneau said. He said the actor fell while preparing for the show's first scene, in which a boat is lowered to the stage.

The Fire Department received a report that the actor fell 30 to 40 feet (9 to 12 meters); Boneau said it was about 20 feet (6 meters).

Boneau declined to release the actor's identity and did not know his condition.

The audience was in the theater, but the curtain was down. The show had not begun and was delayed for about an hour.

Bailey's previous Broadway credits include "La Cage aux Folles," "Smokey Joe's Cafe" and "The Who's Tommy."

The stage version of the 1989 Disney animated film "The Little Mermaid" opened at the theater in January. It tells the story of a sea maiden who longs to live on land.

ChipnDaleGal
05-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Ouch! I feel bad for the poor guy, but after a fall from that height I suppose he is lucky that it wasn't a lot worse. Hope he mends quickly.

Davyjones
10-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Hi gang,

Just wondering: What are you supposed to wear when you go watch a matinee broadway show? :confused: I've never done it before in NYC, so this is a first for me. I can't imagine I would have to go in a suit or anything like that, right?

I will be visiting my sister in NYC and have 1 free day. So, why not see The Little Mermaid?!? Thanks for any help!

Suz36
10-02-2008, 08:38 PM
We went to see Beauty and the Beast last year in NYC, and I saw a wide variety of attire. Everything from evening wear to casual street clothes. It was summer, so we were in capris and cotton tops. I think anything goes, so just wear what you'll be comfortable in. We're going to NYC to see The Lion King in about a month, and can't wait!

Suz36
07-07-2009, 09:13 PM
I just got an email stating that Little Mermaid on Broadway would be closing on August 30th. Does anyone have any info as to why? Will it be touring? The same thing happened to us with Beauty and the Beast - we were scrambling at the last minute to get to NY to see it. Here we go again!

jmj18
07-07-2009, 10:00 PM
I believe they are going on tour.

We are going Saturday night. Can't wait!

NotaGeek
07-08-2009, 12:27 AM
I just got an email stating that Little Mermaid on Broadway would be closing on August 30th. Does anyone have any info as to why? Will it be touring? The same thing happened to us with Beauty and the Beast - we were scrambling at the last minute to get to NY to see it. Here we go again!
Probably due to low viewership and since the show opened it's been plagued by bad reviews ... it seems to be a great idea that just didn't quite work. Hopefully if this is true they will work out the kinks if the show goes on tour.

Here's what I found on the NY Daily News:

NEW YORK - "The Little Mermaid" is set for its final Broadway swim.

The lavish musical based on the Disney animated film will close Aug. 30 after a 20-month run, producer Thomas Schumacher announced Tuesday.

"As much as it hurts to do, it's the best thing to do ... for the show because it allows 'Mermaid' to maximize its audiences now during the summer," said Schumacher, president of Disney Theatrical Productions.
A national tour is planned for fall 2010 and it will be followed by overseas productions.
"By the time 'Mermaid' closes, it will have done 685 performances," the producer said.
"It's a respectable run, just not what I would have hoped for. ... At some point, one has to put one's ego aside and do what's best for the production. And certainly in our case for the shareholders who have invested in it. We have to do right by the show."

"The Little Mermaid" has done respectable although not boffo business since opening in January 2008 at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre. Last week, for example, it grossed $863,745, out of a potential gross of nearly $1.3 million.

Disney doesn't reveal the cost of its shows, and Schumacher declined to discuss the "Mermaid" recoupment, saying: "We don't go into that. The only time we've ever talked about it was on 'Mary Poppins' (it did recoup) and that's because we had an outside producer on it - Cameron Mackintosh."
But shows like "Mermaid," with lavish sets and costumes, usually cost upward of $15 million.

Schumacher was bullish about the musical's upcoming tour prospects.

"When we did our out-of-town tryout in Denver (in 2007), we sold out every single performance," he said. "We've never had an out-of-town tryout that performed as well, which gives me a clue that the tour could be enormously successful."

International prospects are bright, too, he added, with offers for both European and Asian productions.

As for more Disney shows on Broadway, Schumacher said: "I don't have a new musical planned for New York right a way."
Next could be "Peter and the Starcatchers," a play by Rick Elice, most likely for the 2010-2011 season, the producer added. Based on the popular novel by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson, the play is a prequel to "Peter Pan."

TwinPrincesses
07-08-2009, 08:57 PM
I hope it comes to the West Coast so we can see it. I went to Lion King in New York and loved it so much. But living in California, our trips to New York are rare.
I love the book "Peter and the Starcatchers" also, I think that would make a great musical.

GothMickey
07-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Does anyone know if Disney does anything special for the last performances of their Broadway shows? I remember they did something for Beauty and the Beast, but that show ran almost for ever. I am thinking of getting tickets to see Mermaid before it closes, but, if Disney is going to do something special before, during, or after the last performance, then I want to be there for it.

joanna71985
07-21-2009, 04:18 PM
I got tickets for my birthday, when I heard it was closing. I am looking forward to seeing the show.

NotaGeek
07-21-2009, 04:33 PM
I got tickets for my birthday, when I heard it was closing. I am looking forward to seeing the show.
Have a good time ... I would have liked to see it, regardless of the less than stellar reviews. My boss went and saw it last fall and LOVED it...

I could just listen to that music preformed live and be happy!