PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Hole in Summer

DVC2004
01-17-2007, 12:52 PM
OK, I asked before but for winter season. It sounded wonderful but I didn't think we'd be able to handle the cold. We have booked a trip in June with our two boys (will be 10 and 8) and my MIL and FIL. So far we are planning on doing a white water rapids day trip and of course Yellowstone. If you've been in summer, any other must sees and must dos? Also anyone ever go to the Chuckwagon dinner show? This will be our first trip there and we are driving.Thanks!

CPT Trips
01-18-2007, 01:24 AM
How long do you plan to be there? There is a lot to see . . . Grand Teton National Park is worth several days and Yellowstone deserves at least a week, staying in the park if at all possible.
Where will you be staying? In the town of Jackson or at one of the ski areas?
Check with the white water operators, the trip may be a bit extreme for an 8 or even yo . . . may be the same for MIL/FIL. You can find the operators on line easily enough thru google. The is a really nice float trip on the Snake through Grand Teton park.

DVC2004
01-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Unfortunately we are only going to be there one week. MIL and FIl already said they don't want to do the whitewater rafting. I will be sure to call around to the various tour providers to check the intensity. We were looking at the combo trips= scenic and whitewater.But I sure don't want anything too intense having the kids with and all. This will be the first time for all of us doing rapids and DH is very dead set on this activity.

We're staying at a moderate hotel- Best Western Inn at Jackson Hole (next to the Teton Mountain Lodge at the base of a mountain) I believe is the name. We will be sharing a loft room and MIL/FIL will have thier own car and we'll have ours.

LCL
01-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Summer in Jackson Hole is beautiful. We went in July 2006. If you plan on seeing the Tetons and Yellowstone, I would recommend staying a few nights in Jackson Hole and then staying at or near Yellowstone. If you plan on driving to Yellowstone for several days it gets rather old. It is a lot of driving and I mean a lot. We stayed three nights in Jackson Hole and then three nights in West Yellowstone, Montana. I would do the scenic float trip down the Snake River with children. My daughter is four and she went on the scenic float trip. It takes several hours. While in the Tetons you need to stop at Jenny Lake and take the ferry over to the mountain for some hiking. My daughter was able to hike the one mile trip up to Inspiration Point which was stunning. Your children would also like the alpine slide at Snow King Resort in Jackson. While staying in West Yellowstone we took a day trip to Virginia City and Nevada City and then went to Lewis & Clark caverns and then drove back down through Big Sky Country. It doesn’t get dark until 10:00 p.m. in the summer so you have plenty of daylight. I would recommend bringing along a rain slicker. We got hailed on twice during our visit without any forewarning. We ran out of time for the chuck wagon dinner but I was told you need to book well in advance. Merry Piglet's in Jackson is must is you like Mexican food.

Simba's Mom
01-18-2007, 06:40 PM
We were also thinking of this in June. My question is-if you stay in Jackson Hole all the time, will there be a lot of driving to go back to your hotel from, say, the northern part of the Grand Tetons Park? I have a little trouble visualizing distances.

Touchdown
01-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Grand Tetons Park is actually closer then Yellowstone from Jackson's Hole (30 mins to Yellowstone gate, 45 mins from the main loop and the "headliners") I would seriously consider spliting time between Jackon's Hole and West Yellowstone, Montana which is litterally located on the park's border. While it doesnt have quite the ambiance of Jackson's Hole, it is still a really nice place and the time saved in traveling to and from Yellowstone means more time touring Yellowstone.

DVC2004
01-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks all for the great tips. We are really excited! And we will be sure to check out Merry Piglet's- I'm a big fan of Mexican food!

CPT Trips
01-19-2007, 10:19 PM
I would focus on Grand Teton Park and save Yellowstone for when you can give that a week. Some of what I read didn't ring true to me so I just "mapquested" directions from Jackson to Olf Faithful and they have it as a 97 mile 2 hr and 20 minute drive. There are views all the way, so you will probably want to stop, gawk and snap a few photos. The geyser Basin itself is worth full a day to really get a sense of what's there. I once read that only 5% of the people who go to Yellowstone get off the pavement - you really need to walk/hike around to appreciate the place.
So, you can see that driving up that far will not be a snap.
The Northern portion of Grand Teton is about half way to Old Faithful, so scratching the surface of that area will take the best part of a day.
You have a day at Jenny Lake and Inspiration Point. If you do that, keeping heading back the valley . . . spectacular views!
You have a day rafting (which ever option, if not both, you choose).
Also, the "back side" of the Tetons, in ID as pretty neat to. You can combine a day of that with the road between Teton Village (it's an extension of 390) and Moose. There are good animal viewing - bear, beaver and maybe moose - possibilities
there.
There is also a road around the Elk Reserve from which you can take a trip up to the big landslide that dammed up the Gros Vente (I think that's the name) River. Again good animal viewing - Buffalo and Prong Horn.
The Town of Jackson itself is also worth exploring! If you like brewed adult beverages :beer: , go to the Snake River Brewery . . . Rachel Ray ate there (as did CPT Trips).
Even if you don't get to Yellowstone - and it is my favorite place on earth right now - you'll have plenty to do.
Seriously - just plan and budget for a week in Yellowstone "next year."

Ariel_Fan
01-20-2007, 10:57 AM
We're also headed to Jackson and Yellowstone this summer. We have planned 2 nights in Jackson and 3 in the park itself. I can't remember where we're staying (i'm just a disney nut and my husband is the mountain nut). We have a 5 year old and 1 year old so hiking is something we'll do, but it'll be limited with the kids. We do plan on doing the boat ride across Jenny Lake, geyser viewing and animal viewing. We are then headed up to Glacier National Park. My husband just loves this park, but he says we're only spending 2 days there. Anyway, thought I would put my 2 cents in for our travels plans since we both have children (granted mine are younger).

CPT Trips
01-20-2007, 11:43 AM
Those heading into Yellowstone will be well served by exploring the discussion/forum at Yellowstone dot net.

FWIW, there is a big difference in staying in the park at YNP and driving into the "highlight" areas from Jackson, even west Yellowstone is almost an hour to Old Faithful (not counting bear or bison or coyote jams). Three days will allow some off the pavement experiences - see if you can get in on any Ranger activities.
Keep the kids on a "short lease," figuratively. There are lots of things that will attract them to get into dangerous spots. While I advocate getting off the pavement, I do not mean just hop onto the ground to get closer to something. Stick to the trails, paths and boardwalks. The "plastic wood" boardwalks are slippery when wet too.

DVC2004
01-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks CPT for all the valuable info. It's very helpful! I appreciate all of the insight.

CPT Trips
01-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Thanks CPT for all the valuable info. It's very helpful! I appreciate all of the insight.
Glad it helps. It will be hard to make any mistakes at this destination. Whatever you do will only leave you wanting to return.
I know that I can't wait to get back.

LibertyTreeGal
01-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Grand Tetons Park is actually closer then Yellowstone from Jackson's Hole (30 mins to Yellowstone gate, 45 mins from the main loop and the "headliners") I would seriously consider spliting time between Jackon's Hole and West Yellowstone, Montana which is litterally located on the park's border. While it doesnt have quite the ambiance of Jackson's Hole, it is still a really nice place and the time saved in traveling to and from Yellowstone means more time touring Yellowstone.

I agree that you shouldn't commute to Yellowstone from Jackson Hole. I think Jackson Hole is overrated and scary to drive in. It is very crowded, especially during the summer. I believe it is also way more expensive than West Yellowstone.

CPT Trips
01-22-2007, 02:01 PM
I agree that you shouldn't commute to Yellowstone from Jackson Hole. I think Jackson Hole is overrated and scary to drive in. It is very crowded, especially during the summer. I believe it is also way more expensive than West Yellowstone.

The town of Jackson itself is probably over rated, but the environs are quite spectacular.

If Yellowstone is on anyone's agenda, I really recommend staying in the park. The lodging may not have the amenities like TV and a swimming pool, but you won't have bison outside your door in West Yellowstone.

lauralemm
03-28-2007, 12:16 AM
I was lucky enough to live in Jackson. I worked as a live in nanny on Snake River Ranch across from Teton Village. One really fun thing we did with the little ones was to take the ski tram ride up to the top at Jackson Hole Ski Resort. Its a great chance to be way up high on the Teton Ridge without actually hiking it! It is very steep, though. (I am afraid of heights and I was troubled by this.)

The "scenic" float rides are great.

While Jackson can be nuts in summer, June is less crazy than July and August-- and lots cooler, especially at night.

Look into the Teton Country fair schedule and the weekly Rodeos-- a fun taste of the west and small town life that might not be as authentic as it once was, but is plenty fun.

A favorite place to eat for us was Shades Cafe. We also liked the Bunnery. I think they are both still there.

have fun-- I'm jealous!

Simba's Mom
03-31-2007, 10:30 PM
I was lucky enough to live in Jackson. I worked as a live in nanny on Snake River Ranch across from Teton Village. One really fun thing we did with the little ones was to take the ski tram ride up to the top at Jackson Hole Ski Resort. Its a great chance to be way up high on the Teton Ridge without actually hiking it! It is very steep, though. (I am afraid of heights and I was troubled by this.)

The "scenic" float rides are great.

While Jackson can be nuts in summer, June is less crazy than July and August-- and lots cooler, especially at night.

Look into the Teton Country fair schedule and the weekly Rodeos-- a fun taste of the west and small town life that might not be as authentic as it once was, but is plenty fun.

A favorite place to eat for us was Shades Cafe. We also liked the Bunnery. I think they are both still there.

have fun-- I'm jealous!

It sounds beautiful, thanks! I've talked to people who've stayed at Teton Village and they said it was beautiful. We're mostly staying inside the parks, except one night-I think the place we're staying is called "Cowboy Village"(?) Can't wait!

Altair
04-01-2007, 09:26 AM
For Yellowstone lodging go to the "travelyellowstone" website. It is run by Xanterra, the park concessioner.

For good maps and books for both parks, go to the "yellowstoneassociation" website. I would highly recommend a day hike book for both parks. Also pick up the National Geographic Yellowstone/Grand Tetons Road Guide. It's very useful.
Four days minimum in Yellowstone, a week would be nice, but kids may get bored. Two full days at Grand Tetons should be plenty.

Lodging can be hard to come by in Yellowstone, book early. West Yellowstone is probably the second best option. You don't want to drive back and forth from Jackson.

:mickey: