PDA

View Full Version : Mission: Space - Green Team

Duchess99
01-09-2007, 11:26 PM
I like the original version, but is it worth giving Mission: Space 2 rides now? One on the orange team and one on the green team.

KAJUNKING
01-09-2007, 11:58 PM
i cant imagine green team would give me the thrill im looking for, but i may give it a shot in sept!

GrumpyFan
01-10-2007, 12:45 AM
I had some physical reactions to the original version of the ride, and I rode on the Green team when I was there in Sep 06, and was pleasantly surprised. It's not completely lame. There is some (g-)force exerted on the rider, but it's nowhere near the intensity of the original (orange team) version. However, the video and interaction are identical to each other. So, truthfully, there's no real difference other than the amount of force.

KAJUNKING
01-10-2007, 01:06 AM
I had some physical reactions to the original version of the ride, and I rode on the Green team when I was there in Sep 06, and was pleasantly surprised. It's not completely lame. There is some (g-)force exerted on the rider, but it's nowhere near the intensity of the original (orange team) version. However, the video and interaction are identical to each other. So, truthfully, there's no real difference other than the amount of force.
that is very good to know because my dw did not like the ride the first time mabey she would like the alternate ride?!?

zoodoyle
01-10-2007, 09:54 AM
my husband rode the original ride last week and thought that it had been toned down as well - anyone know if they changed the original?

mcjaco
01-10-2007, 11:12 AM
There are no g's pulled on the Green Team. The centerfuge is turned off. It only rocks back and forth.

The Orange Team is the same exact ride as the original. No more or less.

drosenbe
01-10-2007, 06:05 PM
I've done both....and probably will stick with the green side from now on.

I felt that the ride is still pretty good, although I have issues on the whole with the ride.

I am very glad they gave us a choice.

Jared
01-10-2007, 06:19 PM
My parents have never tried the original version of Mission: SPACE, but I am hoping they try the lighter version during my vacation which starts in less than an hour (I am in the airport).

The intense version does push my limits, but I will probably ride again with my brother.

DisneyOtaku
01-10-2007, 09:15 PM
The G-Force on the original, as much as I enjoy the feeling, gives me chest pains (not after or anything...but enough pressure on my chest). I guess I'll whimp out this time and Green team it ^^

BMan62
01-11-2007, 08:05 AM
My BIL has problems with spinning rides, but he got on MS with us Sept. '05. Wrong answer!! He was 'green' the rest of the day.

DW and I will be going in Feb. (one calendar month from today! YEA!!!!) and will be trying both runs to see what the differences are.

We first rode MS in Sept. '03, about a month before the 'official' opening of the ride and absolutely LOVED it! By the time we went back in '05, they had cut back on some of the pressure of liftoff and you could actually feel the spin more.

grandmere
01-13-2007, 09:21 PM
When I first rode MS, I rode it 5 times. My DH gave up after 3. Last January, I thought they had "watered it down" a bit. I hope the orange team means we'll have that "closest thing to going into space" experience again. (I am descended from a Lockheed engineer.) MS is my favorite ride, ever.

swampfox28
01-13-2007, 11:26 PM
What's strange is that I'm a "thrill ride" wuss.

I was TERRIFIED to try ToT (which I did, and I did like, but am still a wee bit scared of!). I LOVED Aerosmith's RoRC (probably because I DIDN'T know beforehand that there were 2 loop-ty-loops!)

However, I LOVED MS. Yes it's a little intense, but it never made me feel bad. My son (who was 6) and I rode it once, LOVED IT, and immediately went back and rode it again! (Didn't know at the time that you're NOT supposed to do that!!!)

Anyway, I'm glad to see that I'm NOT the only MS-fiend! I love it. I think it's the most beautiful ride (from the outside) that I've ever seen - it's just STUNNINGLY georgous!

I love TestTrack and RoRC - can't wait to try EE!

GOIN' to WDW in 1 week from tomorrow - can HARDLY STAND IT!!! :cloud9:

-Sarah

mrsgaribaldi
01-14-2007, 12:43 AM
All the warnings scared my niece last week and we went on the green team. She said that with the closeness of the compartment that it was better we weren't spinning that much. She thinks she would have gotten sick.

CM~Mserrano
04-19-2007, 07:44 PM
I worked at Mission Space from Aug. 2005 through July 2006, and I can kinda fill in all the details about the change. The ride was never watered down from it's original opening, always had the same spinning speed and all that. The ride is actually extremely precise and any change to its normal operation will stop the ride completely. Also, to change half the bays from spinning to non spinning took a lot of time and reworking of the programming of the ride, so much so that it will probably never be changed back. As a CM, we always thought it would be nice to maybe flip them around so that if the orange team was very busy and green had no wait time, a switch could be flipped to add an extra spinning bay or vice versa. Definately a no go on that one!

On the green team, the ride does not spin at all, although about halfway through the ride, when you are just starting descent to Mars, the centrifuge performs one rotation to "home" the ride. Nothing that can be felt. Actually, when you cannot feel the g forces on the orange team, the ride is actually spinning, just at a very slow speed so it cannot be felt, this is the same speed it rotates at at the end of the green team experience. So on the orange team the ride is actually continuously spinning, just very slowly. Also on the green team, each capsule tilts and rocks more than on the orange to try to give the feel of the g force but not as intensely. Especially during the liftoff sequence. It leans almost all the way back and for the most seasoned riders, you can definately tell.

The intricate workings of the attraction are actually pretty amazing and as much as I can't give away any "secrets" I can answer almost any question if there's anything anyone would want to know :mickey:

Still, the original ride will be by far the best and most amazing ride at WDW for me. Of course, I'm kind of biased...

Former CM at Mission: Space
~Meredith

Exo
04-19-2007, 07:48 PM
I won't go on the original for fear of dying. But the tame version is most intense. I can't imagine people that ride the original being satisfied with the tame version... But then, what do those people have to lose? The tame version is like Star Tours.

SurferStitch
04-20-2007, 09:56 AM
I won't go on the original for fear of dying.

:funny: Sorry, I had to giggle at this. Death is my last fear on M:S...the only fear I have is the person next to me getting sick :sick: .

A friend of mine went on the green version, and said he felt nothing at all. He could tell the cab tilted, but thought it was extremely tame. I might try it for the sake of trying it, but the orange version is the way to go for me.

Funcruiser56
04-20-2007, 11:12 AM
My DH and I did the Orange side and both felt bad afterwards. Dizzy and a headache for about 30 min and while I don't normally have a problem with motion sickness I had to concentrate very hard during the ride to not :sick: ! Took away any enjoyment I might have had on the ride..
We tried the Green side last trip and it is probably too tame. Our kids enjoyed it and I was able to enjoy the particulars of the ride, but after one ride it was not worth a second ride for us. My DD thought it was boring, she did not get a chance to ride the Orange side.

We did take a tour and it was interesting on how they built the ride and the reason there are no seats or anything untill far from the ride is because walking will help you gain your equalibrim and get over any queezyness your feeling, sitting down will make it worse, they thuoght of everything!

Bev

Jeff T
04-20-2007, 11:20 AM
I'm glad the green team option is available. My 6 year old really enjoyed Mission Space. It's one of his favorite rides. Without the green team option, I doubt he would have rode the attraction.

thrillme
04-20-2007, 11:38 AM
I got to ride this as a "test pilot" before the grand opening. We thought it was great!! I didn't even have a "clue" that it was spinning. I didn't feel any discomfort at all. The only time I noticed a "little" pressure was when I lifted my hand to press the button.

We're known to ride this several times when we're there. Now...on the OTHER side of the fence. My bestest buddy and partner in crime just plain and simple cannot do "spinny" rides. She'll ride every coaster you throw at her but...she cannot do "spinny" rides. This ride turns her :sick:. She didn't even have a clue why it effected her so till she found out that it spun.

But I give the girl "super trooper" credit. She'll take a moment to "let it all out" then she'll come out...OK...that's done!...what's next?

battle beast
04-20-2007, 11:45 AM
I found the original ride (More force) not so bad to handle. But I was kinda :ack: afterwards... still enjoyed it!

TheAdventurer
04-20-2007, 11:53 AM
When I rode the green team, I was pleasantly surprised. I really like the original, but thought I'd give the new side a it a try, although I was expecting it to be fairly lame. But it wasn't, they did a pretty good job. Not as good as the original of course, but it still was fun.

cetacean01
04-20-2007, 12:29 PM
OK, I have not been on M:S yet. I plan on trying it in July. (Orange side....Im an all or nothing kinda guy!)

I do get motion sickness sometimes but have my patches to take care of that.

My question is this.......Is it worth the anxiety? You know that feeling just before you get on a ride like it may be your last LOL!
Do people really throw up that much on it?
Also, why cant you ride twice in a row?

bleukarma
04-20-2007, 12:44 PM
I've only been on the orange side and I felt like I was in a gravatron with a tv the entire time. Since I love going on the gravatron at the fair I love this ride. Still, I couldn't shake that feeling of "i'm on a gravatron".

I'm thinking of trying the green team when I go in July with my parents and niece. They don't like thrill rides like I do but from the comments I read they may be able to handle the green team. I hope.

CM~Mserrano
04-20-2007, 02:52 PM
OK, I have not been on M:S yet. I plan on trying it in July. (Orange side....Im an all or nothing kinda guy!)

I do get motion sickness sometimes but have my patches to take care of that.

My question is this.......Is it worth the anxiety? You know that feeling just before you get on a ride like it may be your last LOL!
Do people really throw up that much on it?
Also, why cant you ride twice in a row?

From my experience it's not worth the anxiety, they do everything possible to not have someone get sick. The temperature of the building is very cold, becuase people are less likely to feel sick when it's cool, rather than when it's warm, the capsules even have a cool breeze blowing in your face. Yes, people do throw up on the ride several times a day, however they have, not so recently, started putting "space sickness" bags in the capsule. If you're nervous about being sick, look on the control panel when you get in your capsule and grab one, or if you notice there are none there, ask a CM and they will be MORE than happy to bring one for you. I have ridden multiple times in a row without getting out of the capsule, which you SHOULD NEVER do. We don't allow guests to do it, but as a CM either before opening for the day or before closing, we've been known to take a spin or two. The reason it isn't allowed is that you need to give your body a chance to settle a bit and get your equilibrium back before experiencing the attraction. Multiple go arounds on this ride can definately make someone sick, although it doesn't affect me in the slightest.

The best advice I could give you which will be repeated in the preshow, is to keep your head back against the headrest, do not turn your head from side to side, just look straight ahead, and even if you feel sick, keep your eyes open the whole time. Closing your eyes will just make the feeling worse. Happy riding!!

GiltterDisneyGirl
04-21-2007, 02:00 AM
The orange team I do like, but everytime i ride it i feel dizy, dizzy as jack sparrow. lol I just finely rode green team on my last trip about 5 weeks ago and enjoyed it more because i felt i could ride it over and over again with out getting sick, nor dizzy.

Harriet
04-21-2007, 08:07 AM
I am so happy they have given us a choice between orange and green. I would never had a chance to enjoy this ride because of my medical problems I would have never been able to go on it. But with the green version I got to try this ride last year and I LOVED IT. It was one of my highlights. I even tried Test Track but I am afraid this one I have to stir away from because of all the jerking it does too much for my back but at least I tried it once.
Disney THANK YOU for the green version on Misson Space.

squijee
04-21-2007, 09:28 AM
okay dh and i are the biggest wimps in the world when it comes to rides...star tours kinda bothers us....i would really like to give ms a try...do you think we could handle the green:(

pook@wdw
04-21-2007, 05:11 PM
Thank You Disney for MS-Green!! :thanks: Now my :ack: barf-free thrill ride enjoyment is complete!:whew:

carrielf
04-21-2007, 10:33 PM
I'm so glad to hear there is a less intense option! I have never had a problem on any thrill ride ever...until the original Mission Space. I couldn't believe how intense the spinning was. The force took me completely by suprise. Looking forward to trying the green version in September :clappy:

Polynesian Dweller
04-21-2007, 11:42 PM
We rode it when it first opened in the left two seats and had no problem at all. The second year we were in the right two seats in the orange ride and both felt not so good for the rest of the day. Only differences were seat position and the fact we walked right onto the ride the second time without a chance to cool down completely on a hot day. Might do green under these circumstances in the future.

Wondering if the cast member here could tell us if there is a difference in the forces depending on where you sit in the ride?

CM~Mserrano
04-23-2007, 02:35 PM
We rode it when it first opened in the left two seats and had no problem at all. The second year we were in the right two seats in the orange ride and both felt not so good for the rest of the day. Only differences were seat position and the fact we walked right onto the ride the second time without a chance to cool down completely on a hot day. Might do green under these circumstances in the future.

Wondering if the cast member here could tell us if there is a difference in the forces depending on where you sit in the ride?

I've never heard of anyting specific coming from which side of the ride you sit on, but the ride does spin clockwise, so the left seats do make the rotations first. It may have been which bay you were in as well as some are considerably warmer than others. gold and red tend to be warmer, while blue and green are cooler. It also may have had something to do with how hot it was outside that day, if you wre fully hydrated or not, how late in the day it was and how tired you were. those are all big factors in how the ride will make you feel. On the warning signs, it even suggests that you drink water and be well rested before experiencing the attraction. Those are the only things I can think of.

okay dh and i are the biggest wimps in the world when it comes to rides...star tours kinda bothers us....i would really like to give ms a try...do you think we could handle the green:(

The movement on Star Tours is much more jerky than on mission:space. Mission:space movement is extremely fluid and there are no throwing you back and forth movements. I would say as far as movement goes on the green team it would be much less physically taxing than star tours or body wars. Also, on the green team on Mission: Space, it is usually safe to close your eyes if the simulation is making you queasy. That way you will pretty much only feel a gentle rocking. If the ride is the spinning version, closing your eyes will make you only feel the spinning and that will normally make people dizzy.

Hope this helps!

MushuGrl
04-23-2007, 03:49 PM
This has been an awesome thread!!!!!

I've not been on either - MS Green didn't exist on my last trip. I am also on Team Wimp, so after reading this I'm looking forward to trying MS Green!

pianobabe
04-24-2007, 04:12 PM
I have done MS on multiple trips without a problem. When it first opened, my son and I rode it without any problem. We actually thought it was the best ride we had ever been on. I've never had a problem thinking I was going to get sick on MS, but rides like Star Tours get to me:sick: .
My biggest concern about going this year is my husband. When we went last year, we didn't have a bit of a problem. Since then, he has had a heart attack (at age 34!!!). I am hoping I can convince him to ride the tamer version of MS, but I don't know how I will keep him from Rockin' Roller Coaster and such.:( He is very stubborn and lives and breathes Disney more than I do.

magicman
04-24-2007, 05:34 PM
The below question is for the CM who worked at MS, but it contains a spoiler about the ride ending.

:spoiler:

Do you know if WDW ever contemplated having an alternative (unsuccessful) ending as opposed to the current "always successful ending" (based on whether or not the buttons were actually pushed correctly)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

CM~Mserrano
04-24-2007, 07:00 PM
I've acutally asked that question myself to some of the maintenace guys around there, since they always seem to know the most about the workings of the ride. From what I was told the answer is no, mainly because of people who don't speak English, or of ride capsules that aren't always full. Also, they could have done it, but the ride would be very difficult for them to program to have each capsule be independant of one another instead of making the same motions, especially because of the close space between each capsule, if they were tilting and turning th wrong way they would probably hit eachother.

As far as the people riding it goes, if the guests didn't speak English they may miss the commands which would probably not be enjoyable to "lose" every time. I've even seen my friends not push the buttons out of sheer shock of what the ride can do, you know, just riding it out. And if any of the seats are empty, they obviously wouldn't have anyone to press the buttons and that capsule wouldn't land safely.

So, both on the people and programming side, having that team "lose" wouldn't work for Disney :)

Hope that helps!

magicman
04-25-2007, 10:34 AM
I've acutally asked that question myself to some of the maintenace guys around there, since they always seem to know the most about the workings of the ride. From what I was told the answer is no, mainly because of people who don't speak English, or of ride capsules that aren't always full. Also, they could have done it, but the ride would be very difficult for them to program to have each capsule be independant of one another instead of making the same motions, especially because of the close space between each capsule, if they were tilting and turning th wrong way they would probably hit eachother.

As far as the people riding it goes, if the guests didn't speak English they may miss the commands which would probably not be enjoyable to "lose" every time. I've even seen my friends not push the buttons out of sheer shock of what the ride can do, you know, just riding it out. And if any of the seats are empty, they obviously wouldn't have anyone to press the buttons and that capsule wouldn't land safely.

So, both on the people and programming side, having that team "lose" wouldn't work for Disney :)

Hope that helps!

That makes perfect sense. I hadn't thought about the difficulty in having each capsule be independent.

You've provided some great info throughout this thread. Thanks a bunch.:thumbsup:

Disney Doll
04-25-2007, 02:15 PM
I too like the original version. I rode team green with my nephew a few months ago and I thought it was pretty unexciting. If you like team orange, you will probably be let down by the team green version. I don't see the need to ride both unless you want to ride with someone who can't handle the orange version.

JWB3
04-27-2007, 11:23 AM
The first time I went on MS I felt a little queasy for about an hour or so afterward, but DW felt nauseous the rest of the day. :sick:

Of course, DS felt fine and wanted to go again! There was no green option at that time (2005)

On our last visit DS and I tried both, and I liked the green option better - I really didn't see much difference in ride quality and liked not feeling blah afterwards. Again, DS still prefers the original and insists on the "Right Stuff" astronaut walk as we approach the line! Oh well, you're 14 only once!! :cool:

Zone Stop
04-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Meredith, stand up, you're on stage!

And come back and visit us again :D

Love,
Your Discovery Day Test Track Nerd.

CM~Mserrano
04-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Haha, it's the closest I can get to being back there.

Tell everyone I say hi and I miss them bunches!

Nick Mc
04-30-2007, 06:54 PM
I must say they have toned down the ride on the intense side.. between the cast preview and the official "opening day" they toned it down a little, and have toned it down a little more since then. You can feel the difference when you ride, and i have rode mission:space many times!

CM~Mserrano
04-30-2007, 08:15 PM
It was never toned down at all from the cast preview or opening. It would have taken way to much work on the systems. After they changed it from the regular ride to the green and orange version, I was told they would probably never change it again because of the difficulty of changing the programming and the way the rides work. So unless they do another complete overhaul, don't expect any changes to the speed or intensity of the ride anytime soon!

PetefromRI
04-30-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm a thrill ride nut and I really liked this ride.My only problem I had was that at a certain point on this ride there was an awful lot of pressure on my chest.I'm a little over weight and there is heart disease in family so I've decided that I will stay away from the orange team but I'd love to try the green team.That version didn't exist the last time I rode MS.I really liked this ride though and I'd love to go orange but I'm just a little fearful of my health.I'll still ride Mount Everest all day long!

Nick Mc
05-01-2007, 01:11 AM
well if they haven't toned it down then I must have a way higher tollerence for that ride and so must my friend, becasue she almose vomited on it when she was there right after it opened, and then didnt ride it again for 3 years, and said wow its not half as bad as it used to be! Personaly I dont think it pulls you back as much as it used to during take off. and let me just state that even carnival rides have a switch to slow down rides so they aren't as intence, and we all no carnival rides have very little quality..

CM~Mserrano
05-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Carnival rides are much less safe than Disney as far as maintenance goes. And technologically, Mission: Space is far more advanced than and Gravitron or the like. For this reason, it does not have any switch that can be used to slow it down, it was just never built in to the attraction. If it was there would be plenty of times I could have made the ride slower for guests when they asked me to, but it's definately not an option. Rest assured that there was absolutely nothing changed on this ride whatsoever since initial opening until they made the green team. At that time, changes were only made to bays 1 and 2 or gold and blue, and that was to stop the spinning completely except for one final rotation at the end. You definately do build up a tolerance to the ride, even after just riding it once, and also depending on how fatigued you are from just your days activities alone, the ride can cause different stresses on your body and will affect you in different ways. It's very interesting and complicated what it can really do to you.