PDA

View Full Version : Grease—You're the One that I Want

sunlyon
01-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Is anyone else watching this?

How sad for Chicago that they could only find 7 people out of thousands that had any talent. Hoping New York is different.

And what are they thinking about having a 42 year old Danny? He does not in ANY WAY look like an 18-year-old high school student!

LibertyTreeGal
01-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I watched. I liked older Danny :) -- the stage is a loooong way away from most folks.

I felt bad for the young kid that the one judge said would be good for the Doody role. I agreed, and Doody has the best song in the entire show "Those Magic Changes" -- I think he actually sang it for the auditions. What a wonderful voice, I thought the judge wished he could hire him for Doody right then and there. But he was too small for Danny :(

Boy, that 17 year old girl was awesome! And you had to love the "dancing cupcake."

mrp4352
01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
if there would be a couple that end up getting offered other parts... The dancing cupcake would be perfect as the head of the pink ladies!

eas423
01-09-2007, 08:50 PM
I was disappointed by the first episode of this...I just can't put my finger on what it was that didn't connect for me...and I have been looking forward to it :(

poeticeclipse
01-12-2007, 11:33 PM
There were MANY parts that were totally put on. I could tell so many people auditioning were not REAL. There was also some error that I caught but I can't remember what it was. If I catch the episode again i'll mention it!

mickeys_princess
01-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Wait!! I wanted to see this!! When does it come on?

ChipnDaleGal
01-13-2007, 11:59 AM
I was disappointed by the first episode of this...I just can't put my finger on what it was that didn't connect for me...and I have been looking forward to it :(

That was how I felt as well. I was really curious to see the whole audition process. I think it feels just a little fake. I suppose they have to incorporate some drama to keep it interesting. We are going to keep watching for awhile and see what happens. I also think the English man was channeling Simon Cowell a little too much. That bothered me somewhat.

ChipnDaleGal
01-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Wait!! I wanted to see this!! When does it come on?

It is on NBC on Sunday evenings.

mickeys_princess
01-13-2007, 07:02 PM
It is on NBC on Sunday evenings.

Thanks, i'll try and catch it tomorrow. Have I missed anything major?

ChipnDaleGal
01-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks, i'll try and catch it tomorrow. Have I missed anything major?

Not really. Just the first round of auditions in LA and Chicago. They all sang, and the best of those learned a dance routine. The best from that are moving on. I know they are going to New York next. Not sure if there are other cities. Then all of the people that makes it through the first auditions are being sent to Grease Camp. From that group the finalists will be chosen.

NotaGeek
01-13-2007, 08:55 PM
That was how I felt as well. I was really curious to see the whole audition process. I think it feels just a little fake. I suppose they have to incorporate some drama to keep it interesting. We are going to keep watching for awhile and see what happens. I also think the English man was channeling Simon Cowell a little too much. That bothered me somewhat.

I thought that too! I felt that the singers that were bad or very obviously non-Dannys or non-Sandys were SO over the top! Then when they showed the dance portion? Argh. It's a very different audition process for a Broadway show ... Grease has quite a bit of dancing and these parts are BIG singing parts. I hope the show gets better, or I will have to do with I do with American Idol and not watch until the real show starts.

sleepingbooty
01-14-2007, 06:14 PM
I'll keep watching for now, I think it might get better. But I really, didn't like how the host convinced them to re-audition the pretty girl. Come on!

LibertyTreeGal
01-14-2007, 06:18 PM
I'll keep watching for now, I think it might get better. But I really, didn't like how the host convinced them to re-audition the pretty girl. Come on!

I agree, I wasn't impressed with her first burlesque version of "If I were a Bell" from Guys and Dolls. I could never imagine Jean Simmons doing that in her Salvation Army uniform. And the song, from a musical standpoint, is very easy to sing, not a very complicated number. Some of Sandy's from Grease are much harder. *sigh*

That little girl though, the 17 year old, had the voice of an angel...

sunlyon
01-15-2007, 09:20 AM
I just don't understand that if you are trying out for a particular musical why wouldn't you do a song from that show? Grease is not an unknown musical. If you want the part of Danny or Sandy, sing one of their songs! The producers need to know if you can handle the music that is being showcased NOT if you can sing some other rock, musical or pop song! Maybe it's just me, but personally I wouldn't consider someone who didn't come prepared with a song from the show. But maybe I'm being a little too hard here.

sleepingbooty
01-15-2007, 09:37 PM
I think its growing on me. There were some good Dannys and Sandys tonight. I really like the girl that said she hates waitressing, she had a good look for the part - very sweet and girl next doorsy. Next week they're at "Grease Academy," that oughtta be fun.

Momof2boys
01-17-2007, 10:32 AM
If only I could sing . . .

Grease is my all time favorite movie & I'm excited to watch the show. I have my favorites but I'm trying to give everyone a chance. I can't wait to see Grease Academy - it'd be a cool vacation spot ;)

My husband laughs because I've been singing Hopelessly Devoted for the past 2 weeks !

2Epcot
01-17-2007, 04:02 PM
I've watched the last couple of episodes. The show is interesting, though it seems to be copying the same format of American Idol, even down to the back stories of the contestants. Once they get the numbers down, then the public will do live voting. Not sure how the show will hold up while Idol is on, but I guess it is good publicity for the eventual stage show.

poeticeclipse
01-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Here is my PROOF that the show is a fake and is put on. In the first set of auditions a woman came through saying that she was in town on a business trip (medical) and she heard about the audition so she thought she'd come try out for her last few nights in the city. When she got to the dance portion, she had character shoes on. If you know dance and theather you'd know that character shoes are nude colored high healed dance shoes. My question is... Why would this woman have dance shoes with her? She wouldn't!!! Another woman on the 2nd episode had dance shoes with her and she said she came to audition by chance. Geez, how dumb do the producers think I am?! :cool:

LibertyTreeGal
01-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Here is my PROOF that the show is a fake and is put on. In the first set of auditions a woman came through saying that she was in town on a business trip (medical) and she heard about the audition so she thought she'd come try out for her last few nights in the city. When she got to the dance portion, she had character shoes on. If you know dance and theather you'd know that character shoes are nude colored high healed dance shoes. My question is... Why would this woman have dance shoes with her? She wouldn't!!! Another woman on the 2nd episode had dance shoes with her and she said she came to audition by chance. Geez, how dumb do the producers think I am?! :cool:

Well. obviously they think you are as dumb as I am. I only pick up on the singing stuff, I never would have noticed about the dance shoes :rotfl: HOWEVER, one thing I can testify to is that no dancer in their right mind would want to audition in a brand new pair. OUCH! I haven't danced in almost 30 years, but I still remember breaking in new shoes. It takes weeks.

poeticeclipse
01-17-2007, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=HOWEVER, one thing I can testify to is that no dancer in their right mind would want to audition in a brand new pair. OUCH! I haven't danced in almost 30 years, but I still remember breaking in new shoes. It takes weeks.[/QUOTE]

I know it!! Those things HURT! If I were her my heals would be bleeding!

LibertyTreeGal
01-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Well, they narrowed it down to the final 12. I was sorry to see that the 17 year old fizzled on stage. She is quite a talent, that's for sure. And my sentimental favorite, the 42 year old got cut too!

Now I am torn between Max and Derek, no clear favorites with the girls, but Kate can sure belt out those songs!

MNNHFLTX
01-22-2007, 09:39 AM
I've been watching this show in bits and pieces--I am intrigued by the concept (like watching "A Chorus Line" but as a reality show), but I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the movie "Grease" or it's songs. So I'm kind of glad at this point they're not focusing only on songs from the musical.

It will be interesting to see how the show plays out now that they're down the final 12.

Jacova
01-22-2007, 11:21 AM
I heard a rumor that the final 12 that they picked last night are not the actual "final 12". No idea how they get around it, but apparently there are some people who auditioned in a more formal audition that they insert into the final 12. Just a rumor, no idea if it's true.

My favorites at this point are Kate and Ashley for the girls, and Chad and Derrek for the boys. Austin is great, but he's not saying "Danny" to me.

LibertyTreeGal
01-22-2007, 11:38 AM
I heard a rumor that the final 12 that they picked last night are not the actual "final 12". No idea how they get around it, but apparently there are some people who auditioned in a more formal audition that they insert into the final 12. Just a rumor, no idea if it's true.

I was wondering if they were actual "working actors" who the hopefuls would compete against as well. I rolled my eyes when they said that on the commercial, sounded like they tore out a page from the latest Biggest Loser script!

And I agree about Austin, he's too much of a pretty boy, seems more cut out for an 80's boy band than Danny on Broadway, but we'll see.

LibertyTreeGal
01-28-2007, 10:11 PM
SPOILERS

Well, I voted for Kate, Derek and Max, they were hot tonight :) They were my faves going in and they did not disappoint.

I also liked Laura.

The two they brought back, oh my, they really did deserve to be cut in the first place, I feel like we just wasted a week because they are going to have to be going home.

The last girl, Ashley, looks alot like a young Meg Ryan to me, in the way that she smiles, just adorable.

2Epcot
01-29-2007, 12:17 AM
I was only able to see the last 15 minutes of the show tonight. I didn't get to see the full perfomances, but most of them seemed to be pretty good. They started selling tickets for the Broadway show that this reality show is casting a couple of weeks ago, they sold very well. It looks like the producers knew what they were doing.

TV Show "Greases" Box Office Take
NEW YORK, Jan. 10, 2007

(AP) The Broadway-bound production of "Grease," currently the focus of an NBC reality series, sold $1.3 million worth of tickets during the first two days tickets were on sale.

The $10 million revival starts preview performances July 24, most likely at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre, after the Kevin Spacey revival of Eugene O'Neill's "A Moon for the Misbegotten" completes its limited engagement.

NotaGeek
01-29-2007, 01:21 AM
Finally! It was really nice seeing some real talent on TV!

Carol
01-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Finally! It was really nice seeing some real talent on TV!I agree, Michael. A lot of 'Wow' moments last night.

LibertyTreeGal
01-29-2007, 07:56 AM
I wonder how many weeks there were between the formal Grease Academy and what we saw last night. The polish of the "final twelve" was just amazing. I liked them all and even I was surprised at what presence tha majority of them had. With the exception of the two they brought back, I couldn't see anything wrong with any of the performances!

SingingPixie
01-29-2007, 11:08 AM
I just have to throw a plug in here-

I knew Kevin in high school, we did community theatre together. He's a really nice guy, and I'm so proud of him for doing so well up until now! That said, I think he might come off as a bit too "nice guy" for Danny, but we'll see what he can pull out for next week!

NotaGeek
02-12-2007, 12:42 AM
FINALLY. Songs from musicals! Not only do these people have to be CRAZY with nerves, but then they have to sing in front of Andrew Lloyd Weber? OUCH!

Juliana saying that she just "didn't love" Don't Cry for Me Argentina? WHAT? Anyway...

LibertyTreeGal
02-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Wah, wah, wah! I only got to see the first 6! Max and Derek were hot last night, and Laura was great.

Hoping I can catch the others online this morning.

ChipnDaleGal
02-13-2007, 08:50 AM
My daughter and I are really loving Max. What a voice and he seems like a very nice kid too. I also am pulling for Austin (he reminds me of Sean Patrick Flannery), but he is walking the line between confident and arrogant, so I am waiting to see how that goes. Not really loving any particular girl yet. I liked Laura last night. The only one I can't take is that blond with the flippy Farrah hair. She has the air of a "princess" about her that it is hard to take.

LittleSpirit02
02-13-2007, 06:22 PM
My picks are Derek (he's got the look, the voice, the moves) or Max (amazing voice, sings it likes he means it). For girls I think it's real tough but I'd go with Allie, Ashley S, or Laura.

Jasper
02-13-2007, 06:40 PM
I can't say I have a real favorite for either part at this point but I can say there is one I really hope doesn't get it and that is Austin. There are three reasons I don't care for him.

First, as others have said in this thread he comes off as being VERY stuck up.

Second, Austin is a PROFESSIONAL ACTOR!!! That is correct, I don't remember what the show is but he has been touring professionaly around the country with a professional company. To me that is just not in keeping with the spirit of what they advertise this show to be about. By the way, Austin himself talked about this during his first audition and I haven't cared for him ever since.

Third, he is just too slick and professional. I think the other men all show more heart than he does.

I don't have a problem with people who have acted in community theater, college or that sort of thing but once you start touring professionally and have your union card you have crossed the line.

sunlyon
02-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Kate and Chad sang together for a part of one song and their voices blended very well together. I would have to say that they are my favorites for now...

LibertyTreeGal
02-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Yikes, my Derek didn't do great last night! No chemistry with Kate at all, I am relieved that Kevin and Kathleen did worse (it was like they weren't singing the song together). Derek would have rocked on their song. My other faves, Max and Laura were great!

And I have to admit that Austin was REALLY good last night. Chad and Allie too, they were a blast -- hadn't really noticed either of them before. It's getting harder....

LittleSpirit02
02-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Wow - great singing this week.

The eliminations - I would've liked to have seen Julianna stay. I think her voice was one of the strongest, she just needed to learn how to show her personality more - which with the songs she'd gotten had never had the chance to do. I think she performed better in the sing-off, too. I actually thought Jason performed better in the sing-off although Kevin had performed better in past weeks so I'm neutral on that one.

Chad/Allie - nice chemistry. Shared the stage well. Chad has a lot of charisma and I love Allie's voice.

Austin/Laura - for me, this was my favorite of the night. They both can really act! I didn't know how well Austin would necessarily share the stage but he did. I think Laura may have the best voice in the competition.

Max/Ashley - again, great acting and dancing! That twirl into a dip looked so easy and could easily end up with Ashley on the floor! It looked flawless. Great personality from both as well as acting. Very impressed!

Derek/Kate - not the best I've seen them do but I think that has to do with the song they got. Derek had been flawless up till then so I think the song didn't suit him at all. Kate's quite a performer so for her to have a somewhat dull performance and for Derek to be off says the song may have been the issue.

Kevin/Kathleen - nice singing from both but not a lot of chemistry. They needed to sing together more and act together more.

My Prediction for Next Week...

Kathleen and Kate - bottom Sandys with Kathleen getting eliminated.
Kevin and (can't even pick the other!)...erm...I don't know...I guess I just think Kevin may get eliminated.

The final six are going to be simply amazing. I don't know how anyone will choose!

ChipnDaleGal
02-20-2007, 08:57 AM
I loved Austin and Laura. I thought they were best as a couple. They looked and sounded great. I would have believed them as a couple in love on stage. I also just loved Max. His energy level is womderful and he is so talented. I think he would make a great Danny except he might be just a little too boyish.

LibertyTreeGal
03-04-2007, 09:20 PM
I am *so* depressed! Derek is seeming less like Danny every week :( I wasn't impressed with Austin at all, or Chad. But Max is actually pulling it off! I am going to go cry over my heart throb Derek and vote for Max.

I am glad that Kathleen finally got the boot -- bottom two for three weeks in a row, they really couldn't justify saving her again. I thought Allie was way better than she was last week. Laura is still my gal!

ChipnDaleGal
03-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Max totally rocked tonight!! I agree with the judges that he listens and improves himself each week. Tonight he didn't as boyish to me, and I could picture him as Danny.

Laura is still my favorite girl, but it would be so cute if Max and Allie won.

citizensnoopy
03-05-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm rooting for Max and Laura. Not a huge fan of Allie --- I always feel this holier-than-thou vibe from her when she talks. Maybe it's just me.

Tifa
03-05-2007, 01:42 AM
I'm sorry, but I really want Monkey boy (aka Max) gone... He just annoys me for some reason...

I'm sad Kathleens is gone, but someone had to go, and it only made sense that after three weeks in the bottom two she be gone already.

Jenemmy
03-05-2007, 07:57 AM
I am *so* depressed! Derek is seeming less like Danny every week :( I wasn't impressed with Austin at all, or Chad. But Max is actually pulling it off! I am going to go cry over my heart throb Derek and vote for Max.

I am glad that Kathleen finally got the boot -- bottom two for three weeks in a row, they really couldn't justify saving her again. I thought Allie was way better than she was last week. Laura is still my gal!

I'm with ya --- I love Derek, too -- but Max pretty much had everyone beat last night!

Jenemmy
03-05-2007, 07:58 AM
I'm rooting for Max and Laura. Not a huge fan of Allie --- I always feel this holier-than-thou vibe from her when she talks. Maybe it's just me.

For some reason, Ashley always leaves me feeling that way......

ChipnDaleGal
03-05-2007, 11:54 AM
For some reason, Ashley always leaves me feeling that way......

Me too! I do not like the vibe that girl gives off. I would be upset of she wins.

Jacova
03-05-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm not sure what everyone (including the judges) sees in Max - I don't think he'd make a good Danny at all. His performances are always too forced and fake. I'm still rooting for Derek all the way. Yes, he needs some vocal coaching but he's the only one, IMHO, who has the chops and charisma to pull it off.

For the girls, I'm torn between Laura and Ashley. Honstly I think either one would make a great Sandy. But Allie has to go. Something about her just bothers me.

LibertyTreeGal
03-11-2007, 07:14 PM
I wonder who is going to get the boot tonight? I hope it isn't Derek, maybe Austin or Chad. Certainly not Max.

LibertyTreeGal
03-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Oh man! Derek was awesome tonight *sigh* but he doesn't seem to have any acting chemistry when they put him with the gals, which really frustrates me. I am not crazy about Austin, but he and Laura (who has been my favorite since wk 2) do have awesome chemistry. I like Max, and he is good with Allie, but I don't see him with Laura.

So here's my choices

Sandy - Laura, then Allie, then Ashley
Danny - Derek, then Max, then Austin
Best couple - Laura and Austin, then Max and Allie, and then Derek with me :cool:

ChipnDaleGal
03-12-2007, 05:20 AM
I hope the finals are Max and Austin with Max being Danny, and Laura and Allie with Laura being Sandy.

LibertyTreeGal
03-12-2007, 05:26 AM
I found it interesting that the two professional actors were at the bottom of the popularity contest. Austin is a good actor, I have to admit it. I wonder if the public really wants to see a complete unknown win this thing.

But Laura is the girl, no doubt, that woman has a real future on Broadway. Even if for some strange reason she got cut, she'd be getting phone calls for other shows, I would think.

LibertyTreeGal
03-18-2007, 09:14 PM
*sniffle* my sweet Derek...

But I'm over him now. Max and Laura all the way! Austin seemed to old and Ashley too worldly. Max and Laura seemed to have the youth and innocence required.

Of course, I will be at the Annabella hotel next week overlooking California Adventure so I probably won't see the finals....

N.W.Girl
03-19-2007, 04:03 AM
Altho I think Austin is a cutie I really like Max and Laura. :fingers: They are way more believable.I have a question tho... What are they going to do with her hair?
Leave it, bleach it, wear a wig?
And another thing....
Does anyone think Austin looks like he could be the son of Harry Connick Jr.??? (if you dont know who that is, hes in Hope Floats with Sandra Bulluck and Copy Cat, the bad guy ...)
and Ashley could be Meg Ryans daughter?
:look:

Tifa
03-19-2007, 04:07 AM
Ugh... as much as I don't want Max to get it, I want Austin to win even LESS. I totally adore Laura though.

Are there any specific mentions about Sandy's hair color in the script? If not, I vote they just leave it brunette (you know, if she were to actually win it ;) ).

LibertyTreeGal
03-19-2007, 06:18 AM
As for the brown hair -- I think it was Jim Jacobs two weeks back who said that Laura was the unconventional Sandy -- that he had never envisioned Sandy as anything but a blonde, but that Laura had totally changed his mind. Soooo I think they will keep her hair the way it is. :thumbsup: She is positively adorable.

I think a brunette Sandy is more believeable any day than Rose O'Donnell as Rizzo.... and they did that. And don't forget that they had Jon Secada, who is Cuban by birth, play Danny. If Danny doesn't have to be white, then Sandy doesn't have to be blonde :number1:

Personally, I would love to see more such color blind casting. We are getting to the point where it isn't the distraction it used to be. Kenneth Branaugh does it in his Shakespearean movies, I'd like to see more of it. :cool:

Jenemmy
03-19-2007, 08:21 AM
I definitely like Laura, but kinda hop back and forth between Max and Austin. Looks wise alone, I would have picked Derek. I guess I still can't picture Max or Austin either one as Danny. I may lean slightly more towards Austin, but I think that after Max's tearful interview last night, he will get a whole gaggle of new voters.......

ParrotheadMinni
03-19-2007, 09:04 AM
DD13 has pulled for Austin from the beginning because he looks like Hayden Christiansen (Anakin Skywaler - Star Wars). She's right! (you can tell she's been raised on the classics:blush: )

sunlyon
03-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Just listening to the voices together during the duets the 2 that blend the best are Austin and Laura. So that's my vote

ChipnDaleGal
03-25-2007, 11:05 PM
:fworks: Congratulations Laura and Max!!! :fworks:

Oh, how I wish I could work in a trip to New York to see them live on Broadway!! I think they look and sound wonderful together!! :yay:

NotaGeek
03-25-2007, 11:16 PM
:clappy: MAX!! Go Arizona! :clappy:

I think it's absolutely amazing that TALENT won over HOT LOOKS! Right on!

I do think that Laura was good (and adorable!), but Allie was a better singer and really HOT (did I just say that?).

Anyway, it really made me feel for him when Max said how it affected him when the judges talked about his looks due to his Bells Palsy. I wish I could see them in NYC because Grease is one of my all time favorite Musicals EVER!

N.W.Girl
03-26-2007, 04:37 AM
There you have it!!!
:clappy: Max & Laura :yay:

I liked them ,especially Max, but in the back of my head thought that the show could have found better.....But then I saw the Broadway Cast. MMMMM! I think Max and Laura fit right in. It would be interesting to see that one.
Anyway, that was a fun show.:tv: Wonder what they will come up with next.

LibertyTreeGal
05-05-2007, 09:19 AM
FYI -- Laura and her fiance are getting married on the 11th of this month. :)