PDA

View Full Version : surprise candy's

Bethis26fan
01-09-2007, 04:18 PM
When I was in epcot this past nov in Germany I came across some candy I thought was chocolate covered express beans, of course I couldn't read what it said cause it was in German. For those of you how eat them you know how they look and the label show a coffee cup on it so this is what I was thinking it was. When we got back home and I opened them and ate one to my surprise it was so much better than chocolate covered express beans. You know when you eat them the bean gets all in your teeth and it can just be a mess to eat. Well these little jewels taste just like the chocolate covered express bean but with out the bean. I can't wait till we go back to get some more. My question too you is what other surprise candy's or food have you found at the world and would recommend to us.

disneymom2000
01-11-2007, 02:26 PM
The beaver droppings from Canada. I thought they were more of a joke type candy (because of the name and of course they are a joke) and they would be mediocre at best, but the candy itself is pretty good. :blush:

hooberry
01-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Although I don't know any of the names (since they are written in chinese) I love picking up interesting snacks in all the countries too! China has the most interesting types of chips and salty snacks. Norway has great cookies and surprisingly mexico had a really good chocolate bar. Of course food and wine festival is my favorite time in epcot, I'd probably be a good contestant on survivor cause I'll try anything once :D

karenrarintogo
01-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I like this thread.
I have never purchased or tried candies or goodies from the various countries in World Showcase.
Any other good suggestions of candy unique to a specific country? :tasty:

mouseketeer mom
01-12-2007, 08:53 PM
OOOH! Thanks for the espresso bean tip! We are off to the World on the 26th of this month, yeah!, and I am gonna get me some of those beans in Germany. Thanks!

Bethis26fan
01-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Your welcome, they really are great.

I guess the company that made them are Brandt and it says
Mokka-Bohnen

jkj1224
01-19-2007, 08:29 PM
When you go to Japan they have these little cream filled cookies in the shapes of panda bears, I don't remember what they're called but they have a panda on the box, they come in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Yummy!

Snowwite
01-20-2007, 02:37 PM
wine gums and cadbury digestive crackers in UK and the Pocky, fruit gems and mint hard candies in Japan.

Bethis26fan
07-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Has anyone else came across any tasty treat?

Florida Dreamer
07-20-2007, 10:58 AM
What a great thread! We will be at WDW next week and absolutely love the World Showcase and the opportunity to taste the world! I have taken note of all these suggestions and can't wait to try these! Thanks for this timely posting!

avantgardeinker
07-20-2007, 11:32 AM
The Maple Cream filled sandwich type cookies in Canada are really good. We got them thinking they were just maple candy and then opened the box to see the cookies inside. We were almost disappointed until we tried them. They were a nice surprise.

139 more days!!
:mickey:

auntfrannie
07-20-2007, 08:02 PM
wine gums and cadbury digestive crackers in UK and the Pocky, fruit gems and mint hard candies in Japan.

Is this gum that really tastes like wine? I'll have to check it out!

I agree that the Japanese pavillion has tons of interesting candies.

wdw_bound
07-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Your welcome, they really are great.

I guess the company that made them are Brandt and it says
Mokka-Bohnen

Brandt is a German candy company, and the translation of the candy name is Mocha Beans. I'm going to be on the look-out for these as well - brings back fond memories of my time in Germany :cloud9:

Is this gum that really tastes like wine? I'll have to check it out!

No, the name is a bit misleading. They are fruit flavored - a bit like gummi bears, but more intense flavor and harder texture. One of my personal childhood favorites, but not for those with dental work :blush: They sell them at Whole Foods sometimes in the International section - they go by the name Rowntree's Fruit Gums there.

Speaking of special treats, one of my favorite European candies are the mon Cheri that are actual chocolate covered cherries (not the chocolate hazlenut that we can get here in the States) with a Kirsch liqueur - anyone know if these are available in the WS?

Bethanymouse
07-21-2007, 01:27 AM
My disney fiance loves the Pocky from Japan. I have never had it but he loved it last trip!

auntfrannie
07-21-2007, 05:54 AM
No, the name is a bit misleading. They are fruit flavored - a bit like gummi bears, but more intense flavor and harder texture. One of my personal childhood favorites, but not for those with dental work :blush: They sell them at Whole Foods sometimes in the International section - they go by the name Rowntree's Fruit Gums there.

Speaking of special treats, one of my favorite European candies are the mon Cheri that are actual chocolate covered cherries (not the chocolate hazlenut that we can get here in the States) with a Kirsch liqueur - anyone know if these are available in the WS?

Thanks for the explanation WDW_Bound! Especially about them being really hard!
The Mon Cheri with kirsch sounds good.

Nevergrowup
07-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Think a special trip to Epcot is in order. We live in a German community and I've never seen anything like what you've described. Excited to try them.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-29-2007, 12:15 AM
My friend's mother used to bring back Brandy bean candy from Germany. It was chocolates filled with real brandy. I don't like brandy but this candy was delicious. I wonder if they have that at Epcot?

dtootsie42
07-29-2007, 01:57 PM
When you go to Japan they have these little cream filled cookies in the shapes of panda bears, I don't remember what they're called but they have a panda on the box, they come in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Yummy!

These are my 18 year old daughters favorite cookies. She was thrilled to find one of the local japanese stores here in the Seattle area sales these. So now she can get her "fix" any time she wants.

dolphinmickey9170
07-29-2007, 04:34 PM
I am a little confused, because Germany sells bagged gummy bears with the name Haribo. But when you look at the back of the bag, they are packaged in Maryland. I thought the items sold in the shops of each country were exclusive to those countries, made and shipped to USA.

bleukarma
08-02-2007, 01:17 PM
I love the rice candy in Japan! I still get a kick out of how you can eat the wrappers! :mickey:

AuntLaura
08-02-2007, 10:31 PM
Downtown Disney at Goofy's Candy Company - a caramel apple dipped in mild chocolate, covered with crushed Butterfinger pieces and drizzled with caramel. :mickey:

gauvin4
08-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Ooohh! I like this thread. I have never tried the candies from the different countries. What a great idea for my trip in Dec. I can't:mickey: wait to try the maple cookies from Canada.