PDA

View Full Version : Calling Cards

DisneyDudet
12-28-2006, 01:07 AM
I was told by someone that if you go on a cruise, you need a calling card. I don't know why because you will be charged to use the phones on the ship. Where else could you possibly call home w/ calling cards? There is someone I'd like to call while on my cruise :blush:

ElenitaB
12-28-2006, 01:48 PM
It's really expensive to make calls on the ship, even with a calling card. Is it possible that you could make calls from one of the ports you visit? That's where having the calling card might come in handy and be more cost-effective. Just be sure that the calling card works from these ports back to the U.S.

Any chance you could e-mail this person instead (I know it's not as cosy as call)? There are a few places on board that have wi-fi access (if you bring your own laptop) or you could use the computers at the Promenade Lounge or the Cove Café.

TammiMcMan
12-28-2006, 04:45 PM
I think the phone charge is somewhere around $6 per minute for ship to shore calls. That can add up very quickly. If you have a cell phone, you might want to check the rates to add international service. You won't be able to use it at sea, but you could make phone calls from the different ports.

ElenitaB
12-28-2006, 07:27 PM
You may be able to active international service on your cell phone for one month (out of curiosity, I checked on my acct with T-Mobile and found out that I have free international access). Continuing on the thought of bringing a laptop along (if you have one), you might get an account on Skype and then you could call whenever you wanted... just a thought.

DisneyDudet
12-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Well my dad has class over the internet, so he'll be purchasing the week long access package, so email and other things would be a good option. I just hope I'm allowed to use his access!

Yeah I was confused as to why I should get a calling card. I would never call from the ship, and wasn't even expecting to. I was just wondering how you could possibly use a calling card. I guess I would have to find a grungy pay phone at a port haha

Thanks guys!

DizneyRox
12-29-2006, 07:43 AM
Just a note about Internet access too. I was surprised at the limited availability of the Internet machines aboard the Magic. I was happy I didn't go for the plan, I NEVER saw an open machine. I don't believe they offer access in the staterooms either. Things may have changed, but check it out before you pay for it. It might not be money well spent.

Tinkerbellmom1
12-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Last year my DH was in the process of promotion during our Disney Cruise. He had to call home (west coast) at Nassau to find out his new assignment. I still tease him about how much those 2 phone calls cost us!

He called from Nassau-the dock-as we left the ship, and then in the afternoon when we returned. The calls lasted just 3-5 minutes each and cost around $40 each!

:mickey:

DisneyDudet
12-29-2006, 10:39 PM
do they not have a time limit for users for the internet? Is it open 24 hours? My dad will NEED the internet.

TammiMcMan
12-30-2006, 01:14 PM
There is no time limit on the internet. Guests can pay per minute or purchase a cruise length package through the DCL computer terminals. They're available 24 hours a day on Deck 3 (near the Promenade Lounge) and during operating hours at the Cove Cafe (guests over 18 only). I've honestly never had a problem with the terminals in the Cove Cafe and the ones on Deck 3 were always available early in the morning or late at night.

If he is bringing a laptop with wireless capability, that's even easier. To the best of my knowledge, there is no cruise length package available, so the choice is to either pay .75 cents per minute or pre-purchase a maximum 250 minutes for $100. There's no printing service for wireless though. It's not available in the staterooms, but you can get a signal in the Cadillac Lounge & Wavebands (Wonder) or Sessions & Rockin D (Magic), Promenade Lounge, Studio Sea, Cove Cafe, open decks 9 & 10 and the Atrium area of decks 3, 4 & 5.

BMan62
12-30-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm very surprised that Disney ships do not have cell service. I was on a Royal Caribbean ship this past October and was able to place/receive calls with no trouble. The cost wasn't too bad either - I think 20 minutes of call time cost me an extra $10 on my monthly bill.

DisneyDudet
12-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Tammi,
I have researched the internet, and there is a length of trip unlimited minutes for about $90 for seven day cruises. Its called the "Surf Disney @ Sea".

I'm guessing that is what we'll do, since calling home seems to be a hassle.

TammiMcMan
12-30-2006, 06:53 PM
Tammi,
I have researched the internet, and there is a length of trip unlimited minutes for about $90 for seven day cruises. Its called the "Surf Disney @ Sea".Right, it's $89.99 for the 7 night cruise. Only available for use with thier terminals though, not if you bring your own laptop.

I'm guessing that is what we'll do, since calling home seems to be a hassle.Not a hassle, just expensive for a ship to shore call. Plan on paying $7 per minute. If you only need to check in briefly each day, it may end up costing just the same as the internet package.

DisneyDudet
12-30-2006, 09:51 PM
We don't want to lug the laptops around, so the terminals will work fine for us. Thanks for the help!

nat
06-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Does anyone know if Disney has added cell phone service since then?